Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooler Master V10 Review

I am Xtreme

Cooler Master V10 Review

Cooler Master V10

Late last year, Cooler Master gave us the V8 to review and we loved it. This year after being revealed at CES, they yet again threw their best at us and today we have the Cooler Master V10 with hybrid TEC for review and what an amazing cooler it is!!!

Just when I thought air cooling had already been pushed to the edge of the envelope; Cooler Master has come out and revolutionized what the world sees as extreme air cooling.

What is a TEC? This is the question most enthusiast will ask when they see the word TEC on the box of the V10. TEC stands for Thermo Electric Cooler commonly known as a Peltier cooler named after one of the men; Jean Charles Athanase Peltier, who helped discover the thermoelectric effect. A Peltier cooler/heater is a solid state heat pump which has the ability to pump heat from one side of the device to the other. I won’t get into exactly how it works as that is not part of the review.

Previously, air coolers featuring thermoelectric technology had the Peltier unit sandwiched between a cold plate and the air cooler. As CPU’s began expelling more and more heat, these crude designs which could only move the rated wattage of the TEC became useless to the computer industry. When a TEC is faced with more heat than it can move, it becomes a very efficient insulator and we can only imagine what that does to the CPU underneath.

Pictures circle the internet of motherboards with holes burnt through them due to TEC cooler failures. Cooler Master very bravely like many others has attempted to do what so many have failed at. That is to build a TEC cooler capable of cooling the 200+ watts of heat outputted by today’s quad core processor monsters.

Today we find out if they have succeeded at this daring endeavor.

Packaging

The package arrived in a brown shippers box which came in perfect condition.

The product inside was packed ready to be thrown into a tornado as we have seen over and over again from Cooler Master.

Why they ship small boxes in such large boxes is beyond my reasoning, but with all that extra packing paper thrown in with the product, there is no way normal handling through shipping could harm the cooler in any way.

I was already impressed with the shipping packaging but the product package impressed me a whole lot more.

From the outside, the box graphics let you know right away what is concealed inside. All over, the cooler’s name and description is printed on every side of the box and the top features a picture of the product.

The back has more pictures along with product specs and facts, all to aid the mouth watering anxiousness experienced by anyone holding that much cooling power in their hands.

Inside the box, the cooler is literally JAMMED into the precut Styrofoam support placed to keep the cooler safe. I am now thinking that this thing might even survive the shockwave of a nuclear blast… I struggled for countless minutes just trying to pry the cooler from the foams death grip. Be careful not to bend the fins whilst doing so as they are very fragile.

Included in a separate compartment was the hardware and paperwork included with all heat sinks. This comprised of the instruction manuals, warranty papers, mounting hardware and special cooler master thermal interface material called thermal fusion.

First Thoughts

As I pulled the cooler out of its safety foam, 2 things came to mind; Wow these is heavy and man this is HUGE!!!!

As the pictures show, the V10 is probably one of if not the biggest heat sink made for CPU cooling. It truly is massive! Buyers will definitely have to take the dimensions into consideration before buying as I can guarantee that this will not fit in all computer cases. Guys using memory with large heat spreaders like OCZ Reaper need to know that this will not work as planned by Cooler Master. The cooler sits over the memory and large ram sink coolers will definitely get in the way. Unlike the V8, when case mounting this unit, due to the size it can only do one way. Those benchmarking on a table will not have to worry about dimensions or memory as it can be mounted in any way that is suitable to make it fit.

From fully examining the unit we can see it has two 120mm fans. One sandwiched between 2 heat sinks vertically and the other mounted horizontally over the third heat sink.

The V10 actually has 14 heat pipes and not 10 like its name depicts. The base has 10, 6 of which are cooled traditionally by air and the other 4 going to the cold plate of the TEC unit. The cooler then has a further 4 heat pipes which cool the hotplate of the TEC unit. This is interesting as 60% of the CPU heat output is cooled like a normal air cooler; the other 40% is taken care of by the TEC. This is where we understand why Cooler Master’s uses the term; “HYBRID TEC.” It really is unlike any other TEC air cooler before it.

This cooler pulls a considerable amount of power. It is rated at 9.8A by Cooler Master. it has one 3 pin connector for the fans and a 4 pin molex for the TEC.

The TEC is also very clearly visible between the hot and cold plate.

The heat sink base was also well done. It is very flat and possess a near mirror finish. This is a huge improvement over the V8's base.

Specification

Model:
    RR-B2P-UV10-GP CPU Socket

Compatibility:
    Intel LGA 1366
    Intel LGA 775
    AMD 754
    AMD 939
    AMD 940
    AMD AM2
    AMD AM2+

Dimensions:
    236.5 x 129.6 x 161.3 mm
    9.32 x 5.11 x 6.36 in.
    (L x W x H)

Weight:
    2.65 lbs

Heat Sink Material:
    Copper Base
    Aluminum Fins
    10 heatpipes

Heat Pipes Diameter:
    6 mm

Fan Dimensions:
    120 x 25 x 120 mm
    4.73 x 1.00 x 4.73 in.

Fan Speed:
    800 ~ 2400 RPM

Fan Airflow:
    90 CFM (Max.)

Fan Air Pressure:
    2.94 mm- H2O

Bearing Type:
    Rifle Bearing

Fan Life Expectancy:
    40,000 hours at 25°C

Fan Noise Level:
    17 dBA (Min.)

Connector:
    4 Pin

Fan Control:
    PWM

Operation Temperature:
    25 ~ 70°C

Power:
    70 W (Max.)

Rated Current:
    9.8 A (Max.)

Installation

Just like the V8, the V10’s instruction manual was very accurate and came in a multitude of languages. Some I didn’t know existed to be honest. Following instructions step by step to ensure everything was done to Cooler Master’s specifications, it was very obvious that the mounting is identical to that of the V8.

There is even new mounting made for the i7 socket LGA 1366 which the V8 previously did not have support for but is now being supported by all of Cooler Master’s new heat sinks.

After deciding which socket hold down was to be used, I got out the necessary installation tools, that being a regular Phillips screwdriver.

The hold down screws needs to be screwed into the hold downs before they are then attached to the heat sink base. They are left hand threads to ensure they don’t unscrew in the later mounting stages. This is a nice added touch by cooler master.

The hold downs are then attached to the heat sink using 4 small countersink screws. It all lined up perfectly and I experienced no problems there. I used both the LGA 775 and AM2 hold downs during testing, both working without flaws.

The next step is to attach the stick on insulation pads to the hold down; I guess this insulates the hold down so that there is no potential short circuit on the motherboard. Don’t want to forget these at all!

Before I mounted this onto the motherboard, I compared it to the V8… WOW what a difference. Here are some pics at various angles.

There are 2 ways to mount the unit to the motherboard, one is to use the back plate which I highly recommend due to the weight of the unit, and the other is to just use the supplied nuts and plastic washers.

I had to resort to the latter of the 2 methods since my motherboard is too badly warped from previous cooling endeavors to allow the back plate to sit flat behind the CPU socket. I did however get a chance to use it on the AM2 board I did testing on.

Mounted on the motherboard, you can see just how huge this thing is! It swallows the board whole and I was scared it wouldn’t fit when I had it mounted to the motherboard tray.

This pic shows how it barely fits in the completed system. I am grateful to have a full tower case now for sure!

Performance

All testing was done at ambient of 26.5 degrees Celsius. Also testing was done in case with side covered on to give accurate real life results for those looking to buy the cooler. It was compared to its smaller brother, the Cooler Master V8 in all tests. Please note that the TEC turns on 50% at 25 degrees Celsius and 100% at 35 degrees Celsius. That explains some of the idle temps as it only works as an air cooler before the TEC comes on. Also the CPU temps are not directly related to the TEC coming on and off as the temp change in the heat sink has to pass through the 10 heat pipes before it gets to the TEC control units temperature probe.

Test Systems 1:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, stock and over clocked to 4.5 GHz 500x9 FSB and 1.45 V core.
    Asus Maximus Extreme X38 motherboard
    Dual Sapphire 3870X2’s in crossfire X
    OCZ Fatality DDR3 running stock
    Cooler Master UCP 1100W PSU
    V8 and V10 CPU coolers

Test System 2:

AMD Phenom II 940, stock and over clocked to 3.7 GHz 247x15 FSB and 1.525 V core.
    DFI Lanparty Jr. 790GX M2RS motherboard
    Dual Sapphire 3870X2’s in crossfire X
    OCZ Reaper DDR2 running stock
    MSI 1000W PSU
    V8 and V10 CPU coolers

Well with no further ado, time for the results. Here you go!

Final Thoughts

This is definitely a beast of a cooler and probably one of the best on the market right now. Cooler Master has done their homework and has given the world something they can truly be proud of.

At 6-7 degrees cooler than the V8 in almost all load cases, it is no wonder why this cooler had all the hype surrounding it. It truly is fantastic. Taking the E8400 up to 4500 MHz wasn’t possible on the V8 and although the temps were a bit high, the V10 held it stably and kept steaming forward through load test after load test.

This CPU is still running at 4.5 GHz daily with no sign of giving up. I can definitely see more companies aiming at this hybrid technology to push the envelope even farther and we have Cooler Master to thank. They chose to dive into that realm of air cooling and have come up head first in the heat sink market. This will definitely be aimed at the enthusiast and gamer wanting to increase performance of their system through over clocking and not by spending huge amounts on new hardware. I definitely believe that Cooler Master will succeed at this and capture a huge chunk of the quad core market with more and more people moving to more powerful hotter processors and wanting adequate cooling for their investments.

Overview

Packaging; 10 of 10 Frags: Packaging was perfect as usual. Cooler Master always does an amazing job of making sure their products stay safe.

Price; 8 of 10 Frags:
    At $140 MSRP, this is no small amount to pay for a cooler when one has just finished emptying $300-$500 out of their wallet for a processor that already comes with a rated cooler. But still a lot cheaper than water cooling for as close to similar performance as you can get.

Installation; 9 of 10 Frags: Some assembly required. Having to remove your motherboard is the only hassle but all new Cooler Master Cases have holes through the motherboard tray to allow these kinds of installations without needed to remove the motherboard. I guess it is about time I get a Cooler Master case.

Design; 9 of 10 Frags: It is too big and heavy. Otherwise a revolutionary new design and concept that will definitely change the heat sink market in the future. Not the very best looking but it is designed with functionality and not looks in mind.

Performance; 10 of 10 Frags: Best bang for the buck when you compare this to a good enough water cooling system that can keep up with the performance this puts out. Beat its younger sibling by 6 degrees in all load tests which is quite amazing since the V8 was already an incredible heat sink.

Overall the Cooler Master V10 gets 9.2 out of 10 Frags Overall Making it Clan Team Xtreme Approved

Last edited by biglipzit; 02-03-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome review!

I shared your anxiety and frustration with removing the cooler from the foam...
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice testing man but GOD that is a big cooler it better do a good job or it would be just a waste of metal. It looks good I guess but I dont know if it is for me lol
    and almost 3LBs OMGGGG thats pretty heavy I would think for it to be held up but guess not motherboards are usually pretty tough.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know, need more tests with intel quads / i7 setups at 4.0ghz and up to see if this thing is worth it. Yah, and if it can't cool a quad well than that is one big paper weight. I'm sure it'll do a good job though.

Xtreme Addict
    exellent written & displayed review !

nice job man
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme Recruit
    Dan, it is a good review cuz even me can understand the language u're using this time! lol

Curious to see how it performs against the TRUE, IFX14 and Prolimatechs Megahalem.
    l Core i7 920 @4009Mhz @1,240V @ Prolimatech Megahalems l ASUS P6T Deluxe l A-DATA 6GB @ DDR3-1691 CL8 l GTX 280 @ AC Xtreme - 2D @ 0.7V @ 120/240/100 - 3D @ 729/1458/1296 l X-Fi Titanium l 1*WD SE16 250GB l 2* Samsung P120 250GB | Antec 180B | Samsung 226BW l Logitech diNovo Edge feat. MX Revolution l Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit l

Admin
    Seems like another one of those coolers that'll be good for 24/7 systems. Good to see it does have improvement over another good HSF.

Mounting system is not HSF-switching friendly at all though

Pretty curious how this will perform in my HSF-testing testbed and how it compares to the other HSFs I have here....hmmm....to buy or not to buy......

Xtreme Member
    This thing is so HUGE. Some systems have really sexy mobos, and it's a shame it'll be covered up if you use this cooler.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Mounting system is not HSF-switching friendly at all though
    You should try installing the ever-retarded Scythe Mugen 2. I got pissed of by just looking at the manual, cut myself on the cooler while installing the fan with those crappy clips... I don't know why any sadist would ever mount a HSF with screws from the backside from the mobo, there's no way to remove it with the motherboard installed anywhere.
    I KNOW MASSMAN DISLIKES YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    yo yo... man, you gotta lose the beard... you look like a drunk :P
    Competition ranking: Better than the danes in everything I've ever entered.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Didn't compare it to a TRUE-120 or another top-end competitor right now?

Just comparing it to the V8 seems to make it very very hard to come to a conclusion on just how good the cooler is or is not.

I am Xtreme
    If I had to get a true to compare it, which one do you want me to get?
    Thermaltake Xaser VI Case
    ASUS P7P55 Motherboard
    Intel i7 870
    AMD 4870X2
    8 gigs of OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3
    CoolIt Boreas 12 TEC CPU cooler
    Coolermaster UCP-1100W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by {GOD}Raptor22
    I find it exceedingly humorous how you sit here and continue to play keyboard warrior even though you know you are wrong.

Great job bro. Cooler Master is very happy!
    We Are Xtreme! Are You?

Free private ventrilo channels at vent6.gameservers.com port 4672.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx]biglipzit View Post
    If I had to get a true to compare it, which one do you want me to get?
    TRUE-120, the regular one.

The Copper TRUE-120 has proven too heavy to mount on most systems w/o risk of damaging the motherboard.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
    You should try installing the ever-retarded Scythe Mugen 2. I got pissed of by just looking at the manual, cut myself on the cooler while installing the fan with those crappy clips... I don't know why any sadist would ever mount a HSF with screws from the backside from the mobo, there's no way to remove it with the motherboard installed anywhere.
    Yeah, no kidding (I have one ). Another great HSF, but I'll be arsed if I ever use it on a system I want to tinker with later. Let alone a bench-top play system.

Unfortunately it's necessary for boards to be mounted to the cooler these days if we want noticeable progress.

What did program did you use for your loads?

Xtreme Member
    That thing is crazy huge, what about RAM access. Do you have to completely remove the CPU cooler to get at your RAM!??!?!?
    ASUS Striker II Extreme 790i Bios 1202 PICS
    Q9650@4.05 (FSB 450hz X4) Linked & synced.
    Patriot Viper PC2000Mhz DDR3 4x2GB 8-8-8-22-1822
    EVGA GTX470 X2 SLI
    OS RAID 0 2X Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville
    Games RAID 0 500GB X2 ES 7200 32MB Enterprise
    Silverstone TJ10 ESA
    Swiftech MCR220 & MCR120 rads
    D-TEK Fusion v2
    Black Freezer NB/SB
    EK's Acetal on Mosfets
    1/2 R3603 Tygon Tubing
    Corsair HX1000w
    SoundBlaster X-FI TITANIUM - PCIE
    Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
    Dell 3008WFP 30' @ 2560x1600
    Win7 x64 Pro

I am Xtreme
    a regular one or the extreme with 6 heatpipes. I used real temp and speed fan to check temps. Also amd overdrive. I will order a true tonight for testing.
    Thermaltake Xaser VI Case
    ASUS P7P55 Motherboard
    Intel i7 870
    AMD 4870X2
    8 gigs of OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3
    CoolIt Boreas 12 TEC CPU cooler
    Coolermaster UCP-1100W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by {GOD}Raptor22
    I find it exceedingly humorous how you sit here and continue to play keyboard warrior even though you know you are wrong.

TRUE = ThermalRight Ultra Extreme

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger5521 View Post
    That thing is crazy huge, what about RAM access. Do you have to completely remove the CPU cooler to get at your RAM!??!?!?
    Depends on what ram. If you have dominators, you will have to remove it. But with standard memory it may be possible to do so without removing the cooler but it would be MUCH easier.
    I am magical.

how hot are those mosfets under the TEC?

and what did u use for load tests?

Xtreme Addict
    My mosfets did not get very hot at all, but im running a digital PWM. I think Dan and i were both running prime95 but i could be wrong about what he is running.
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
    I don't know, need more tests with intel quads / i7 setups at 4.0ghz and up to see if this thing is worth it. Yah, and if it ian't cool a quad well than that is one big paper weight. I'm sure it'll do a good job though.
    Lots of reviews are dropping reviews this week. Tweaktown definitely did not reflect the results ive been seeing...

Their temperatures are very high in general. And they didnt really detail their test setup at all.

Just looking at the quantity compared i dont think they were all tested under the same conditions.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/173...ler/index.html
    Last edited by Russian; 02-03-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx]biglipzit View Post
    a regular one or the extreme with 6 heatpipes. I used real temp and speed fan to check temps. Also amd overdrive. I will order a true tonight for testing.
    TRUE = ThermalRight Ultra Extreme

So the one w/ extra heatpipes.

Xtreme Addict
    Considering Cooler Master V8 performs better/worse very marginally (1-2 degrees) compared to TRUE, i think we can easily say V10 beats TRUE aswell.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast