Thread: [REVIEW] V8 vs V10.

Xtreme Member

[REVIEW] V8 vs V10.

Courtesy of Ionicle88,

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2256753

Justifications for its hefty price tag remains bleak, but still, it is still a lovely machine to have.... However as i answered the tons of questions u guys have on this machine, more questions arised instead, like, exactly how useful is the peltier technology? With operating temps of 25-70deg, and "The TEC cooling will kick in when CPU reaches extreme temperatures" (quote from V10box), how effective it is in cooling super overclocked machines? Motherboard and cpu and ram cooling all @ one go is definately a good idea, but with air cooling reaching its optimum, is there a need for this???

Thus i went ahead wif the V10 to try to overclock my E8500 and P5Q deluxe to 4.749GHz, 500MHz FSB, DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 @ 1.48V vcore and 1.5V FSB VTT and 1.48 NB voltage....

my comp was able to boot into xp... no issues, but the moment i tried IBT, it crashed a few times, until i hit 1.5V vcore, but load temps shot immediately up to 95deg... way above tj max, and the throttling immediately kicked in...

This kinda proved one thing... air cooling is still not sufficient enough to stop the throttling...

Admin
    He's not running into a heat problem at 4.75Ghz with 1.5V with a dual core The thermal density is just too high.

Example: both the V8 and V10 could surely take a Yorkfield at 4GHz with 1.5V and keep it pretty stable (IDK about LinPack stable, but maybe) and that makes almost 2x the amount of heat his Wolfdale is making.

V10 needs to be tested with a quad core--either a Kents, an overvolted York, or a Bloomfield. The TEC needs a reason to kick in. And if it is fully kicking in already, then the V10 is basically useless

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ill wait to see what the v12 can do