Thread: PII 720 Quad Core !! (not a typo)

Xtremely Kool

PII 720 Quad Core !! (not a typo)

Looks like one core dud slipped through.
    http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Overclo...from3-cpuz.gif
    http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Overclo...rom3-amdod.gif
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=510443
    That's very strange...

But true, four cores as near as I can tell. Manually setting the CPU affinity while running SuperPI I can stress each core individually, I don't know what other tests I can perform to prove it's quad corelyness.

There is of course a down side, even at 1GHz Prime95 on all cores fails, but with another chip, well, who knows ?

And how do we unlock this 4th core ? Simple. On an Asus M3A79-T running the 703 bios you enable ACC. That's it

Oh well, so I really do have a quad cripple, or is this just some SW anomaly ? Still @ 3.8GHz this cripple rocks
    Basically the other 3 cores clock to 3.8 but the 4th fails at only 1Ghz.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17977875
    Last edited by Final8ty; 02-17-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    that would be a hell of a find if AMD were to start using perfectly good quads to cripple into tricores
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    that would be a hell of a find if AMD were to start using perfectly good quads to cripple into tricores
    Well it has a bad 4th core so its not perfectly good

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    Well it has a bad 4th core so its not perfectly good
    Technically speaking not bad ,but frequency limited .

Xtreme Addict
    I'd rather see the old, very rare, good cores slipping trough as bad cores.

Like there were a few Opterons around with unlocked multipliers etc
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

This really seems like a no brainer.. either the 4th core was bad at creation, or it was purposely cripped.
    System Specs:

System 1: Asus P5E,Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB OCZ Plat DDR2-1066, Tri-Raid 0 1TB 16MB cache, Radeon HD4870.

System 2: (wip) Asus M3A78T, Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.8Ghz, 2GB OCZ plat 1066 DDR2, Radeon 2900XT 1GB.

Xtreme Member
    This is like sleeping with 3 hot girls who insist on bringing their fat ugly friend with them, kinda not that great.

@Rammsteiner: what alliance are you in on Eve? I'm a goon
    Ain't played in some time though, but with all this killing BOB and conquering Delve thing I was thinking of resubbing.. But even if I do that I think I'll only post on CAOD and suicide miners lol I was never a fan of 6 hrs ops and POS warfare
    the state is universally evil, there is no good country only good people

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Technically speaking not bad ,but frequency limited .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    it's called business? Make a large batch and charge X amount for some Y amount for another. Keeping X amount up to make more money on it.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    it's called business? Make a large batch and charge X amount for some Y amount for another. Keeping X amount up to make more money on it.
    Not sure what you think I was saying but all I meant was that It would be great if these could be found with the 4th core in perfect shape. obviously this one was not so I said if AMD started to use good quad cores to turn into tricores instead of damaged ones.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by azraeel101 View Post
    This is like sleeping with 3 hot girls who insist on bringing their fat ugly friend with them, kinda not that great.