Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: How to softmod to ANY VGPU you want without hardmods! (1.3~1.6v or more)

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks to unwinder, evga, justageek95 & all the software authors mentioned in this thread, I was able to get this result on my gtx260. Special thanks to blackout (blkout) for sharing your great gpu oc'ing knowledge.

Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Does anyone know if you can softmod a Sapphire Toxic 4870 512MB?

As far as I have read you can only do it with reference model 4870s..

Thanks

Well, just wanted to post my results, the RivaTuner softmod successfully worked on my MSI 4870, not only was i able to raise the voltage but it also resulted in higher clocks. I was previously stuck at 815/945 @ 1,263v but a voltage increase to 1,2875v allowed to up the clocks to 820/945 for now. May be i'll be able to push it higher at that voltage, who knows? It was a stable overclock too, it passed a 2hr. ATI Tool artifacts scan.

However, this obviously resulted in higher load temps while stress testing (core jumped to 52-54C, MEMIO to 62-64C, VRM to 62-64C) so i'm not sure how far i can push it with the stock cooler. So I have Thermalright T-Rad and copper ramsinks standing by and i'll be using after the stock cooler is pushed to the limit.

And finally, a question, anyone here knows what the highest safest GPU vcore should be for 4870 cards?

Quote Originally Posted by KBD View Post
    And finally, a question, anyone here knows what the highest safest GPU vcore should be for 4870 cards?
    I'd like to know that as well

Xtreme Member
    mine 4870 is limited to 1.46v if i set higher rivatuner shows that it is higher but DMM shows 1.46v.

i still havent fixed boot problem, how have you managed to deal with that?

OH FFS I got a sapphire 4870 1gb and I get 4 invalids
    #$%@$#@%#$@%#@%#$@%
    2600K @ 4800mhz
    ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA
    Palit GTX 670 Jestream @ 1201/1653
    G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHZ RIPJAWSX DUAL CHANNEL KIT
    ENERMAX INFINITI 720W
    CoolerMaster Stacker Black
    OClabs MB-06 + Black Ice Pro 2 + Swiftech MCP655
    Samsung 840 Pro 2x 120GB SSDs Raid 0
    LG M2762D
    Logitech G19 + G9x

Quote Originally Posted by benko View Post
    mine 4870 is limited to 1.46v if i set higher rivatuner shows that it is higher but DMM shows 1.46v.

i still havent fixed boot problem, how have you managed to deal with that?
    ok, let me try to answer your question first. As i sed earlier, I used the page 5 of this guide linked to below where the guy explains how to do it but i suspect the info there is incomplete:

http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=4427

So I actually had a hard time getting it to work at first myself and i had to do a bit of playing around as i never done it before either. So to get to the menu displayed in the article you go the Launcher section of the RivaTuner. Once there you click on the green plus symbol in the lower left corner to add a new item. A menu will pop up, in there select the default option "Regular Item". That will take you the menu. Fill it out. I personally skipped the "Associated Overclocking Profile" and "Associated Fan Profile" because i use ATI Tray Tools for that. The "Associated Application" section has to be filled out like the guy did in the screenie but obviously you have to enter your values. I also entered "/sd0" before the registars info because i only have 1 card. I'm not exactly clear if it needs to entered at all for single cards but i did anyway and it worked for me so i recomend you try it this way first as well. After thats click OK & go to the Scheduler section of RivaTuner, there you will see the task you created. Right click on it and select "Edit Application". In the screen that pops up make sure that "Item" is selected in the "Launch" section, the name of your profile appears in the "Name" section and under "Run Task" it should say "Launch at Windows Startup". Click OK (and after i think also "Apply" on the main RivaTuner window, i dont remember exactly) and after that a new startup item should be added to your startup. It should look something like this: "C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.22\RivaTuner.exe /S". If you r using RivaTuner to overclock and you already have a RivaTuner overclocking profile you should already have the above path
    in startup, i would assume that it would be edited with the new info if you entred your overclocking profile and/or the voltage registars info. I'm not sure as i dont use RivaTuner to overclock so in my case i had a new startup item. So there you have it. This is what i've done, i'm just hoping i'm not forgetting something. Alternatively, you can use Windows Scheduled Tasks but i never used that so i cant help you there. Try it and see if it works & if you have questions let me know.

In regards to voltages, 1.46v seems awfully high to me. Are you watercooled? I suppose i should've asked it a bit differently: whats the highest safest voltage for air cooled cards with aftermarket cooling? Meaning what voltage would fry my card with that setup. I obviously dont want that to happen and just want to know what is safe.
    Last edited by KBD; 02-12-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Team AF
    There is a new version of Voltage Factory released. Counting version 1.1. Here is the changelog:

- Autostart - Feature
    - Usersettings storage / Profiles
    - Slider - Mode
    - Multi GPU bzw. SL/CF Buttons renamed in Device 0/1 and Device 0/2
    - small improvements.

use at your own risk!

Download:

click!
    Last edited by @rne; 02-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Well I tried Voltage factory v1.1 and was able to increase the load voltage of my Sapphire Toxic 4870 512mb.

Xtreme Addict
    That's great! Will test shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by @rne View Post
    There is a new version of Voltage Factory released. Counting version 1.1. Here is the changelog:

- Autostart - Feature
    - Usersettings storage / Profiles
    - Slider - Mode
    - Multi GPU bzw. SL/CF Buttons renamed in Device 0/1 and Device 0/2
    - small improvements.

use at your own risk!

Download:

click!
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Legend
    thats great

now we need unwinder to properly support ATI overclocking in XP with X2 cards and all is sweet hehehe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBD View Post
    ok, let me try to answer your question first. As i sed earlier, I used the page 5 of this guide linked to below where the guy explains how to do it but i suspect the info there is incomplete:

http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=4427

So I actually had a hard time getting it to work at first myself and i had to do a bit of playing around as i never done it before either. So to get to the menu displayed in the article you go the Launcher section of the RivaTuner. Once there you click on the green plus symbol in the lower left corner to add a new item. A menu will pop up, in there select the default option "Regular Item". That will take you the menu. Fill it out. I personally skipped the "Associated Overclocking Profile" and "Associated Fan Profile" because i use ATI Tray Tools for that. The "Associated Application" section has to be filled out like the guy did in the screenie but obviously you have to enter your values. I also entered "/sd0" before the registars info because i only have 1 card. I'm not exactly clear if it needs to entered at all for single cards but i did anyway and it worked for me so i recomend you try it this way first as well. After thats click OK & go to the Scheduler section of RivaTuner, there you will see the task you created. Right click on it and select "Edit Application". In the screen that pops up make sure that "Item" is selected in the "Launch" section, the name of your profile appears in the "Name" section and under "Run Task" it should say "Launch at Windows Startup". Click OK (and after i think also "Apply" on the main RivaTuner window, i dont remember exactly) and after that a new startup item should be added to your startup. It should look something like this: "C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.22\RivaTuner.exe /S". If you r using RivaTuner to overclock and you already have a RivaTuner overclocking profile you should already have the above path
    in startup, i would assume that it would be edited with the new info if you entred your overclocking profile and/or the voltage registars info. I'm not sure as i dont use RivaTuner to overclock so in my case i had a new startup item. So there you have it. This is what i've done, i'm just hoping i'm not forgetting something. Alternatively, you can use Windows Scheduled Tasks but i never used that so i cant help you there. Try it and see if it works & if you have questions let me know.

In regards to voltages, 1.46v seems awfully high to me. Are you watercooled? I suppose i should've asked it a bit differently: whats the highest safest voltage for air cooled cards with aftermarket cooling? Meaning what voltage would fry my card with that setup. I obviously dont want that to happen and just want to know what is safe.
    yeah i tried that but i dont have riva tuner v2.22 i have 2.20
    BUT i think i got it(finally) i used VoltageFactory_by_AwardFabrik
    set volatges(2d and 3d) and now it is even working in startup

i set for 3d 1.35v andf for 2d 0.98v i wil test it know with 850core for 3d and i will test 2d(i will put 1080p film ofr 10hours).

Gtx 285

Not working on my Club 3D GTX 285

Prog shows like this:
    Current Voltage on : 2000 mV
    Min Voltage : 825 mV
    Max Voltage : 2000 mV
    Default Voltage : N/A

Does anyone know whats wrong?
    Tryed both XP SP3 and Vista Ultimate 64bit...
    Using latest WHQL driver 181.22
    Last edited by TruePlaya; 02-13-2009 at 04:58 AM.
    E8500 EO @ 4227Mhz 1,3V + TR Ultra 120 Extreme
    Gigabyte X38-DQ6 F9F Bios
    PQI Turbo Modules 2x2GB 1066Mhz DDR2
    Club 3D GTX 285 1GB
    Seagate 2x320GB SataII 16MB
    OCZ GameXtreame 600W
    Raidmax Sagitta + Twin Cathode Blue and Green

Quote Originally Posted by benko View Post
    yeah i tried that but i dont have riva tuner v2.22 i have 2.20
    BUT i think i got it(finally) i used VoltageFactory_by_AwardFabrik
    set volatges(2d and 3d) and now it is even working in startup

i set for 3d 1.35v andf for 2d 0.98v i wil test it know with 850core for 3d and i will test 2d(i will put 1080p film ofr 10hours).
    well, great, man, at least you got it working and thats all that matters

Memory Addict
    Loving the extra voltage that voltage factory is giving me - benching my EVGA 9800GX2 @786/1998/2268 easily = 26,500 for 3dmark06 first bench without pushing memory yet

Before 9800GX2 stuck at 742/1917/2304 GPU volt = 1.15v default
    After 9800GX2 786/1998/2268 GPU volt = 1.23v

Last edited by eva2000; 02-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    ---

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by TruePlaya View Post
    Not working on my Club 3D GTX 285

Prog shows like this:
    Current Voltage on : 2000 mV
    Min Voltage : 825 mV
    Max Voltage : 2000 mV
    Default Voltage : N/A
    This card is not YET supported ( and might never be )
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i tested in my Evga 9800 GTX + SSC and not working...show this

anyone know why?
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Xtreme Member
    it doesent have voltera voltage regulator

Xtreme Member
    i have a little problem:
    so i got everything working except startup problem.
    so i saved 3 setting with VoltageFactory by AwardFabrik, and it can only remember one boot voltage and i have changed 2d and 3d volatge but VoltageFactory by AwardFabrik always startup only one(depends what i have saved last) so how can i get both voltages to change on startup??

Memory Addict
    Anyone using VoltageFactory v1.1 and get this error message when opening VoltageFactory v1.1 on Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 ?

'Run-time error 339 - component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid'

I have no problems with WinXP Pro SP3 or Windows 7 64bit beta ??

thanks

edit: I fixed it by downloading copy of comctl32.ocx from ocxdump.com and placing it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\COMCTL32.OCX

the running command

regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\COMCTL32.OCX

Hope this helps others
    Last edited by eva2000; 02-15-2009 at 05:27 AM.
    ---

Hi folks! If you didn't notice yet, I just added the functionality to RBE. So RBE v1.19 just got launched. If you have any ATI card that is equipped with a VT11xx, just put your register values (voltages) into your BIOS using RBE to make them permanent.

v1.19
    - Fixed a startup bug causing the main window not to show up.
    - Added experimental voltage register access. RBE automatically figures out if the card's equipped with a VT11xx. Just use register 15 for underclocking/undervolting and register 18 for overclocking. Register tweaking will override the voltage table. Still, you should adjust your powerplay settings according to the new register values.
    My program: TechPowerUp.com: RBE - Radeon BIOS editor
    CPU: Athlon 64 4.000+ (San Diego) @ 2.800 MHz
    Mainboard: Asrock Dual SATA2, BIOS v1.90
    RAM: 2 x 1.024 MB G.Skill 2,5-3-3-5-1T dual channel
    Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 2900 pro 256 bit @ 3D: 796,50/1.044 MHz, 1,2 Volt
    Hard disks: Samsung HD753LJ, Samsung SP2504C
    Monitor: Compaq P1210 22" CRT

So, please change the thread title to something related to VOLTERA regulators, its VERY misleading.
    2600K @ 4800mhz
    ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA
    Palit GTX 670 Jestream @ 1201/1653
    G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHZ RIPJAWSX DUAL CHANNEL KIT
    ENERMAX INFINITI 720W
    CoolerMaster Stacker Black
    OClabs MB-06 + Black Ice Pro 2 + Swiftech MCP655
    Samsung 840 Pro 2x 120GB SSDs Raid 0
    LG M2762D
    Logitech G19 + G9x

Xtreme Member
    thnx 4 the great topic

So have anyone got the Evga Voltage Tuner working on G80 cards? I have an Evga 8800GTS 640 as my backup card so i'm curious.

While i'll be installing aftermarket cooling on my 4870, i'll install the 8800GTS in my rig and try it out. But i'm hoping someone already did, if so plz let me know.

Edit: Well, checked it out and it doesnt work. Voltage for this card is being reported as something like 3.2v while thr utility onlu goes to 2v. Dont know how accurate that voltage readiing is though, dont have a multimeter, but it seems awfully high to me.
    Last edited by KBD; 02-18-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Works good here, but sold the card...

PM me for more info...
    And still I will not own everyone[/FONT]

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast