Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: Evga Voltage Tuner

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Actually you won't get a paperweight even if you set the voltage to 1.6V on stock cooler.
    Most of the times ( if not all )
    OCP & OVP kick in FTW.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    I've been thinking.. perhaps this Hex tweak via RT is not the best/correct way to adjust voltage for the core? Perhaps it only adjusts voltage for the PWM or something like that, since most users here report absymal overclocking results with this voltage tweak. Usually, hardware volt-modding gives much better results. One guy says that it results in a 50W increase in power draw, for almost nothing. Maybe Unwinder is still unsure of this method, since it appears to "not be worth it", and is not going to recommend it just yet, for the sake of his "love of humanity", which is truly honorable (Unwinder, I really appreciate how you resisted Nvidia's efforts to stop you from working on Rivatuner especially during the 6800 soft-modding days).

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    The 50W was for a GTX295, so it's two chips with 25W more each, resulting in a raise of 4 shader steps for the borked part and three for the good one, I wouldn't call that nothing.

I just don't get this:

"It's our freedom of thought and expression, which is what has made America so successful in the duty of mankind."

That one really cracked me up, you're a really funny guy.

Come one, get your shallow understanding of patriotism out of this thread, this is, or better was, about controlling VRM circuitry.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Actually you won't get a paperweight even if you set the voltage to 1.6V on stock cooler.
    Most of the times ( if not all )

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post
    OCP & OVP kick in FTW.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Gigabyte's Gamer HUD has been offering the same feature for about 6 months now.
    huh that i didnt know

got a link or has someone actually tested this

does this Gigabyte Gamer HUD work on all cards

interesting stuff
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    huh that i didnt know

got a link or has someone actually tested this

does this Gigabyte Gamer HUD work on all cards

interesting stuff
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...8_gamerhud.htm

Features & Benefits:
    ‧ VGA Tweaking Utility Providing the Best Combination of Software/Hardware OC
    ‧ eXtreme Graphics Overdrive – World’s 1st VGA Card Voltage Adjusting software utility
    ‧ Delivers additional 10% GPU frequency margin after overclocking

download here:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/V...er&FileID=3510
    Last edited by jaredpace; 01-26-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by KELL5 View Post
    I don't want to argue with you unwinder. If you feel RT cannot cause damage alreay then you should check again. You've made RT with all the power it has and now shy away from providing users with an easy to use GUI to manipulate voltage control. I thought rivatuner was made to access functions and manipualte settings...maybe I'm wrong

this is for ALL users, not me.

exactly thankyou. so why does unwinder put them in RT? This could easily lead to an angry email for him

I never said he made (or helped) with evga voltage software....I said precision tuner.

I know it can be done, but it's a long process where users can easily make a much more catastrophic error which resuts in higher voltage than was planned. The majority of users here could do all sorts of stuff to their machines through hex. I thought guys like unwinder made tools like RT to make it easier for users to accomplish what they want. Since when do users need a daddy to tell them when things are safe?

Tell me you enjoy having to use hex to manipulate your voltages? Say it. Say "Hi, I am very much in favour of keeping RT the way it is. I think it's a bad idea to introduce voltage sliders under a new tab with warnings inplace. I'd much rather have to edit values in HEX as this is much easier for me than using a slider."

So to turn up all other voltages in your machine all you need is the ability to read and click a slider. Everyone manages that ok. Ever heard of someone just trying 2.5volts to their cpu via slider?

I mean c'mon.......surely he wouldn't make the slider goto 7v or anything stupid.

Then why does he allow users to overclock their cards then? You make no sense.

Asking why is not showing disrespect. If someone makes a decision and you don't agree with it you're allowed to express that opinion. I'm not name calling, or hassling unwinder off the forum. I merely expressed the fact I don't understand his reasons for leaving it out. If he'd said it's due to the fact it's very unreliable at implementing precise voltages or something then that would atleast make some sense. The fact he's made rivatuner (which is already the most powerful graphics card/system app I know of) with all the ability it has makes me confused as now he wants to protect users from themselves. Imagine he thought that just as he started to code RT in the first place......where would we be now?

I don't need a lecture on unwinder or his abilities. I'm perfectly well aware of the fact he's made RT for free to give to all.

Mate just drop it. If he doesn't want to add it respect his wishes, no amount of being an a** is going to change that. Quit acting like a child who won't get his way and asking why why why why.

A lot of things would be easier, but if it's too much work for you to go through a few I2C read/write commands to change voltage then why should Unwinder spend time writing additional code to check the device VR capabilities, draw extra UI features, add warning message boxes, etc all to save a bunch of lazy users some time.

Rivatuner is powerful software, and having no voltage adjustment through GUI makes no difference to its capabilities because it's still there. If you can't be bothered figuring out how to, then he's saved himself the headaches of having to deal with so many more incompetent users who can't do forum searches, read changelogs or help, and worst of all blame his software for all the things that happen their computers and spread bunk rumours.

If you want a slider for voltage buy an EVGA card and use their software when it's released, simple.

I'm happy to change my voltage via I2C writes it takes the most of a minute or two. He even explained how to set the voltage in bios for those who want to, he's gone out of his way to help the XS community guys out when he didn't even have to and considering his busy schedule I'm sure it's time he could have spent with family or doing other things. This is why a lot of guys respect Unwinder because he goes out of his way to help the community and provides us with amazing software at no charge what so ever because he loves doing it.

DFI LT-X48-T2R UT CDC24 Bios | Q9550 E0 | G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK 2x2GB |
    Geforce GTX 280 729/1566/2698 | Corsair HX1000 | Stacker 832 | Dell 3008WFP

Xtreme Legend
    oh yeah i remember now
    those were all non-reference designs from Gigabyte though

i love the work unwinder and others have put into this and the tips he has given us to think about doing to volts ourselves

this will make life a lot easier as long as cards are supported .... and its free yippie
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Worlds Fastest F5
    Gamer's hud only supports specific cards.
    Mostly the 8800 / 9600 / 9800 series and ATI 4850's
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyakame View Post
    Mate just drop it. If he doesn't want to add it respect his wishes, no amount of being an a** is going to change that. Quit acting like a child who won't get his way and asking why why why why.
    Asking why is being an a* is it? Cool logic.

A lot of things would be easier, but if it's too much work for you to go through a few I2C read/write commands to change voltage
    Is it too much work for you to read an entire thread before commenting? I've already said it's not for me alone. I can edit the values perfectly fine. So can anyone else who can read. The only people unwinder is preventing from frying their cards (considering like you said, he's told users how to easily increase voltages the "advanced" way) are people who can't read. A complete noob could read what he's said and fry their card anyway with an incorrect hex value.

then why should Unwinder spend time writing additional code to check the device VR capabilities, draw extra UI features, add warning message boxes, etc all to save a bunch of lazy users some time.
    For the same reasons you quoted. For the same reasons he made RT in the first place. The same reasons he updates it still..........and like you say.....to save us (me, you and everyone else who wants to use his app) some time.

Rivatuner is powerful software, and having no voltage adjustment through GUI makes no difference to its capabilities because it's still there. If you can't be bothered figuring out how to, then he's saved himself the headaches of having to deal with so many more incompetent users who can't do forum searches, read changelogs or help, and worst of all blame his software for all the things that happen their computers and spread bunk rumours.
    I'm sure the amount of complaints directed towards unwinder for "wrecking peoples computers" it at best minimal. Who would do such a thing? Who, with any knowledge whatsoever of their computer would seek out, download, install and then use rivatuner......then once having made an error themselves email unwinder and complain? Who?

If you want a slider for voltage buy an EVGA card and use their software when it's released, simple.
    Very good, great advice, thanx.

I'm happy to change my voltage via I2C writes it takes the most of a minute or two. He even explained how to set the voltage in bios for those who want to,
    Yeah, I referenced that above. Not really the kinda thing you'd post on the worlds most used overclocking site if your first concern was for people frying their cards huh?

he's gone out of his way to help the XS community guys out when he didn't even have to and considering his busy schedule I'm sure it's time he could have spent with family or doing other things. This is why a lot of guys respect Unwinder because he goes out of his way to help the community and provides us with amazing software at no charge what so ever because he loves doing it.
    Why does all this have to come into it? What on earth are you blethering about? You tell me to drop it then start bleeding around crying about how unwinder devotes his life to RT and helping people. Your dramatising this entire topic. Get a grip of yourself for crying out loud. All I asked was why unwinder couldn't add this feature to RT and when given an answer I then stated I didn't see the sense in it. You'd think it was a cardinal sin. I haven't insulted the guy. If anything you are now with all this dragging families into the mix

I mean if this is the reaction you get from people simply for asking questions of a V.I.M then I guess it in't a good idea to ask too many questions.

I'm out.
    Last edited by KELL5; 01-26-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Look guys, Unwinder's decision not to put it in there is his and his alone. He said no, that means no. He either has his reasons, or he just plain doesn't want to. Stop ing about it and move on.
    If you want the volts to apply on boot, make a batch script and toss it in your startup folder. It really isn't that hard. Hell, I'll make it for you if it's that difficult for you.
    Intel i7-2700k@ 4.7ghz (46x102)
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe GEN3
    G.Skill 2x4gb RipjawX 2133 11-11-11-30
    GTX 680 1220/7000
    Corsair TX750W
    Razer Lachesis w/ Razer Pro|Pad
    1x160gb Seagate HDD, 2x1tb Seagate HDD
    LG 22" 226WTQ & BenQ G2400WD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    The 50W was for a GTX295, so it's two chips with 25W more each, resulting in a raise of 4 shader steps for the borked part and three for the good one, I wouldn't call that nothing.

I just don't get this:

"It's our freedom of thought and expression, which is what has made America so successful in the duty of mankind."

That one really cracked me up, you're a really funny guy.

Come one, get your shallow understanding of patriotism out of this thread, this is, or better was, about controlling VRM circuitry.

LOL.. glad to crack you up! Of course, it was shallow (especially as you're from "Beermany"), but it seems that most of you guys do not even want to rationalize or question anything using a seeking mind. All you guys want to do is stand by Unwinder's side, it seems, which is fine with me. I'm also on his side, but hey, those with active, non-dormant minds would naturally want to know "why" until it becomes truly logical.

Finally, those who cannot understand what I'm talking about--just get out of this thread and stop wasting your time trying to defend Unwinder with whatever concepts you have, like "he's busy with his family and does not have time to explain everything to us crybaby noobs", etc.. Or just go back to my previous post and it could still stand out as the most logical thing for now regarding the TOPIC. Maybe Unwinder is just not yet 100% sure if it's the most appropriate method, or maybe he's under contract with eVGA to not include this feature in RT.... (of which he did NOT "deny").
    Last edited by Bo_Fox; 01-26-2009 at 06:38 PM.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    those with active, non-dormant minds would naturally want to know "why" until it becomes truly logical.

Maybe Unwinder is just not yet 100% sure if it's the most appropriate method, or maybe he's under contract with eVGA to not include this feature in RT.... (of which he did NOT "deny").
    This is what I can't get out my head. Why would unwinder, the greatest creator ever of any gpu app. The guy who made RT, the most widely used and most powerful gpu app in existence. The guy who posts "how to very easily increase volts via ic2" details....decide he thinks it would be a bad idea to include voltage control in said app???? ????

The noob frying cards argument is mute. You don't code RT and release it to the public, then post on multiple forums how to increase your gpu volts and THEN use FRIED cards as an excuse

I just find it a coincidence he helps EVGA, then EVGA produce this and low and behold the greatest gpu app maker decides to leave out the greatest functionality ever!

Maybe it's just me with my suspicious mind. Perhaps unwinder really is only thinking of our cards

Regardless, I'll respect his decision even though I disagree with it.

best wishes

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Soultaker52 View Post
    Look guys, Unwinder's decision not to put it in there is his and his alone. He said no, that means no. He either has his reasons, or he just plain doesn't want to. Stop ing about it and move on.
    If you want the volts to apply on boot, make a batch script and toss it in your startup folder. It really isn't that hard. Hell, I'll make it for you if it's that difficult for you.
    Sorry, but I still find it irrational and not logical. And I have the freedom to voice my opinion here. I don't care that RT is free. I'm still complaining.

Hell, I would pay money for RT if it had GUI based voltage adjustment. And hell. Warnings aside, it could be set up so that the only way to access the voltage adjustment would be through an obscure ini tweak. That would prevent anybody who didn't know what they are doing from using it, period.

And again I'm no freeloader and no cheapskate. But I am still complaining, and I have room to do so, seeing as I would gladly pay for RT if it had voltage adjustment.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

GPU Bios Vmods?

And thus begins the end of humanity as we know it.
    Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.25G 24/7
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    EVGA nForce 790i FTW (THANKS VINCE!!)
    CoolerMaster Stacket 830 SE
    ULTRA ChillTEC
    OCZ SLI-Ready DDR3 2000mhz EPP 2.0
    Saitek Eclipse II
    Razer Deathadder
    Sceptre 24in

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why are all you guys being such asses? Write your own software if you can't accept someone doesn't want to add some function to "their" program. It's one thing to ask if someone can add a function to something, it's another to keep harping on it. Keep going and you might just piss him off and have no more Rivatuner.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diverge View Post
    Why are all you guys being such asses? Write your own software if you can't accept someone doesn't want to add some function to "their" program. It's one thing to ask if someone can add a function to something, it's another to keep harping on it. Keep going and you might just piss him off and have no more Rivatuner.
    Ya he made the software, lets respect him for it.

But that doesn't mean we can't disagree with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Xtreme Addict
    I don't get it, what's the problem? The instructions right in this thread work perfectly.

RT rocks.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't understand how you can disagree with the software writers logic? He does write the software after all and since he provides it free of charge and it seems all you guys use it, and it's clearly not buggy or has some kind of critical flaw that needs urgent fixing, or even offering some kind of improvement to code, other than that seriously what is there to disagree about?

I don't understand this logic what so ever. Hell I'm just happy it works so well, and Unwinders programming abilities are of such amazing calibre that he can deliver a product this good and this functional for the whole Nvidia and even ATI community to enjoy, with nowhere the flaws that we see in products we pay 100s to 1000s of dollars for. Hell he even updates it frequently too, and listen to constructive criticism and will go as far as adding in a feature he sees as useful that he might have not considered. Finally he takes the time out to support the product himself on a few forums, which I don't see many developers do at all, besides the usual open source suspects. He's open about his work, and he'll go the extra mile to lend a helping hand to difficult and interesting problems, whether it may or may not be related to Rivatuner.

I applaud the persistence of all of you, but in this scenario it'll only frustrate the developer because his stance is clear about the decision. The persistence could be better spent on harassing Adobe devs to release a 64bit flash player for Windows, we actually need that

The bottom line here is that, as I already told Unwinder, eVGA has the balls to do it, and that he could also have the balls to do it, too.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=14
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=21

I'd really like to ask to stop beating dead horse. It will not change anything, sorry. The decision is not anyway related to current partnership with EVGA, we're working together less then one year. And I'm not a type of person able to kill my favorite hobby (RT) because of money and some contract.
    The position of not including voltage controls in RT's GUI was taken many years ago with GeForce 5x00 series cards announce (the first display adapters with programmable voltage control circuits), such debates took place during discussing GeForce FX (you could control VRM via accessing GPU GPIO via RT's CLI), then during discussing X1000 series (you could also access VT1103 via accessing LM64 GPIO pins) then during 4800 series announce and finally now. There were always different conspiracy theories, and honestly I'm really tired of them. So let's stop it please, that's just a waste of time.

Xtreme Addict
    Unwinder,

Off topic question, is it possible with current RT kernel mode driver to SYSCALL priv 0 through a monitoring plugin?

Xtreme Addict
    but it seems that most of you guys do not even want to rationalize or question anything using a seeking mind.
    I have no need to rationalize, question or bug the hell out of Unwinder. RT already brings the possibility to directly write to VRM registers to change the voltage _and_ to schedule this task with each boot. The thing that I am questioning is why are you and KELL5 rambling on about this? Do you really play around with volts on your GPU that often that it hurts you to use your head to change the voltage? Once you found your max/stable volts, it's set and you can leave it like that. So why must it be a slider? Why do you choose to "question" and "rationalize" something that is fine to begin with?

I'll say it: I'm fine with using a little math and some hex conversion to change my GPU volts.

This is _not_ meant to defend Unwinder. It's just that he gave us a free tool to use. This tool is already able to do what I want and need, so I have no need to jump on this "I want a slider"-train. If you politely ask someone that provides something for free for a little extra and he says no, then why don't you go and and develope said function yourself? Your "questioning" and "rationalizing" is totally out of place with free software, it's about about working for free just to give and share what you yourself see fit and not about being other peoples slave and to do what they want. You can discuss all day long and criticise because with this your totally in trend of how many people talk to each other nowadays. No one is able to say "Thank You", no one is able to be content and happy with what was given and qualities of people are measured with how good they can criticise the hell out of other people. While criticism is good, this behaviour is not and it's totally unproductive.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyakame View Post
    Unwinder,

Off topic question, is it possible with current RT kernel mode driver to SYSCALL priv 0 through a monitoring plugin?
    Nope. Monitoring plugin API provides all privileged functions, which can be required for hardware monitoring related tasks (CPU MSR reads/writes, PCI configurations space reads/writes, GPU MMIO reads/writes and GPU I2C reads/writes). There are no general purpose privileget calls available through API.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
    Nope. Monitoring plugin API provides all privileged functions, which can be required for hardware monitoring related tasks (CPU MSR reads/writes, PCI configurations space reads/writes, GPU MMIO reads/writes and GPU I2C reads/writes). There are no general purpose privileget calls available through API.
    That's all I needed to know

If monitoring API handles priviledge 0 RDMSR that's fantastic. I'll thoroughly look over plug-in samples and docs, and figure the rest out!

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast