Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Files Lawsuit Against Nvidia

Xtreme Member

Intel Files Lawsuit Against Nvidia

We have just learned that Intel filed a lawsuit against Nvidia late last night in which it alleges that the four-year old chipset license agreement the two companies signed is not valid for Intel's current and future generation CPUs with integrated memory controllers.

This includes Nehalem - a chip that Nvidia has repeatedly claimed it holds a chipset license for. Intel, as evidenced by this lawsuit, begs to differ.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ainst-nvidia/1

Update:

NVIDIA responds to Intel court filing regarding chipset license agreement

NVIDIA responded to a Monday court filing in which Intel alleged that the four-year old chipset license agreement the companies signed does not extend to Intel's new integrated memory controllers which are found in the Core i7 (Nehalem) processors. NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang says NVIDIA is confident their licenses applies to Nehalem as well, and claims Intel is attempting to stifle innovation to protect its CPU business.

"We are confident that our license, as negotiated, applies," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of NVIDIA. "At the heart of this issue is that the CPU has run its course and the soul of the PC is shifting quickly to the GPU. This is clearly an attempt to stifle innovation to protect a decaying CPU business."
    http://www.dvhardware.net/article33446.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090218?rpc=44
    Last edited by Face; 02-18-2009 at 07:03 AM.
    Faceman

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anybody seen the contract? that will tell the truth.. It probably could be interperted both ways.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Member
    wow..... uppercut from intel......as much as i disapprove of nvidias marketing ethos......ati need them to be around...

Xtreme Member
    NVIDIA responds to Intel court filing regarding chipset license agreement

NVIDIA responded to a Monday court filing in which Intel alleged that the four-year old chipset license agreement the companies signed does not extend to Intel's new integrated memory controllers which are found in the Core i7 (Nehalem) processors. NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang says NVIDIA is confident their licenses applies to Nehalem as well, and claims Intel is attempting to stifle innovation to protect its CPU business.

"We are confident that our license, as negotiated, applies," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of NVIDIA. "At the heart of this issue is that the CPU has run its course and the soul of the PC is shifting quickly to the GPU. This is clearly an attempt to stifle innovation to protect a decaying CPU business."
    http://www.dvhardware.net/article33446.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090218?rpc=44
    Faceman

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Whoop Ass
    "At the heart of this issue is that the CPU has run its course and the soul of the PC is shifting quickly to the GPU[...]
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Wow. Jen-Hsun is reaaaaaally full of himself, isn't he?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I heard Huang said he would open a can of whoopass mixed with some big bang lawyers. But most likely just rename CPU chipsets to CPU support chips to avoid legal action. Rumours also said that there is a chance he would use AMiga style names. In that case there is no Chipset, Just Angus and Denise
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Member
    Intel and Nvidia at it again. They just don't have whats important on the agenda, keeping the consumer happy or keeping their wallets happier. I guess you'll all agree they are both hiding behind the new tech for consumer BS and that the latter involving business monopoly and monneh's is the real reason.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

Xtreme Member
    Why the heck would anyone want an nVidia i7 chipset anyways? With X58 supporting both Crossfire and SLI.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, Intel want to block Nvidia from joining their Lynnfield and Clarkdale parties too.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Vozer View Post
    Wow, Intel want to block Nvidia from joining their Lynnfield and Clarkdale parties too.
    Not much party there with 5$ southbridges on a "slow" DMI interface from the CPU. Plus its about QPI. Lynnfield and Clarkdale doesnt use QPI like i7. This is only about i7 and Xeons.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    Why the heck would anyone want an nVidia i7 chipset anyways? With X58 supporting both Crossfire and SLI.

I say let them build there chipsets and let's see who buy's them with x58 around.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    I am not totally sure who's right and wrong here, but personally I hope Intel wins. I just don't like Nvidia anymore.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post
    I am not totally sure who's right and wrong here, but personally I hope Intel wins. I just don't like Nvidia anymore.
    Me too

The whole NF200 crap caused a lot of bad blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Not much party there with 5$ southbridges on a "slow" DMI interface from the CPU. Plus its about QPI. Lynnfield and Clarkdale doesnt use QPI like i7. This is only about i7 and Xeons.
    You're right, Shintai. I thought it's about every CPU generation with integrated memory controller (includes Lynnfield and Clarkdale).

I see this as intel trying to monopolize the market. Get the SLI license from nvidia, then boot them out. Nice

Even if nvidia's chipsets are not so great, the desire for them (or lack of) would be determined quite quickly by the market. SiS chipsets were pretty lame, but did that warrant forceful removal of them from the market? Not really, they still were around but small in number (do they exist anymore? I haven't checked).

The more chipset makers the merrier IMO. I might not buy their chipset, but someone else might. Depends on features and pricing and all that.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Surely it should be clear cut whether or not the agreement Nvidia and Intel had, allows for them to make a chipset for the i7.

Seems just crazy to me.

Xtreme Addict
    At this point I'm thinking this is just Intel being greedy and wanting to monopolize on the i7 platform.

There should at least be one option for a different chipset by a 3rd party.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    Surely it should be clear cut whether or not the agreement Nvidia and Intel had, allows for them to make a chipset for the i7.

Seems just crazy to me.
    I'm not sure and don't have the documents in front of me. But from what I've seen and read, Intel and nVidia had a similar agreement to the one AMD and Intel has. Neither of those companies charges the other for the other's tech or IP. If one charges the other, then the deal is off. They agreed to stay out of court otherwise. nVidia wanted Intel's tech free while they wanted Intel to pay them for their tech. So no, I don't blame Intel for not wanting to pay nVidia (directly or indirectly) when nVidia uses their tech free.

There's a 1000 post thread here about the SLI chips nVidia was trying to pretend their cards needed. Hacked drivers proved that was NOT the case. Now sure I could be wrong
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-18-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    People should realise that in the future for both AMD and Intel there aint any room for 3rd party chipsets. Its not about being greedy. Whats next? AMD and Intel monopolize IGPs because they put then on the CPU package/die? Wakeup to reality. nVidia just served its purpose in the chipset business and is no longer needed.

Xtreme Addict
    Nvidia have a licence to make chipsets for Intels FSB interface, but haven't licenced the QPI interface.

Nvidia feels that their FSB licence should somehow cover the new QPI interface.

Personally, I see this Intels way. If Nvidia want to develop chipset using Intels QPI interface, they should come to a mutually benefitial agreement to licence the tech.

I think Nvidia's problem was that they don't have all that much leverage in negotiations, as both Intel and AMD move to a 'platforms' approach Nvidia loses out on both chipset sales and GPU sales unless they allow platform independent SLI.

Xtreme Addict
    There should always be an option, how would you like to only be able to buy oem parts for your car.

There is always going to be a need for a motherboard to handle IO functions, why should be have to buy intel chipsets only or amd only regardless of how simple or complex the chipset.

Its simply greedy that these brands want to lock their platforms to themselves, at least intel seems to.

There's plenty of room for third party chipsets as there would be in x86 cpus if intel would license, Intel simply doesn't allow for room for anybody else to exist in its space then who's already there.

How things are not they are simply locking out anybody else, I mean really, what are they afraid of, they're simply squeezing out competition.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    I'm not sure and don't have the documents in front of me. But from what I've seen and read, Intel and nVidia had a similar agreement to the one AMD and Intel has. Neither of those companies charges the other for the other's tech or IP. If one charges the other, then the deal is off. They agreed to stay out of court otherwise. nVidia wanted Intel's tech free while they wanted Intel to pay them for their tech. So no, I don't blame Intel for not wanting to pay nVidia (directly or indirectly) when nVidia uses their tech free.
    Well that I had no idea of but I still feel Intel would have resisted licensing qpi to nvidia or any other third party regardless.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    Last I heard Intel was open to licencing QPI, but couldn't come to mutually agreeable terms with Nvidia. ie. Nvidia don't want to pay, or give anything up.

As far as DMI equipped processors are concerned, Nvidia may be able to make chipsets for these as DMI is essentially a PCIe x4 connection, but these are essentially southbridges and aren't really able to benefit from Nvidia's IP as much as a QPI enabled chip would (true 3x16 SLI northbridge etc.)

It seems as if Nvidia are trying to play around some (un)specific wording of the previous FSB licence to avoid having to come to terms on licencing QPI.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Well that I had no idea of but I still feel Intel would have resisted licensing qpi to nvidia or any other third party regardless.
    Maybe, I don't know what they'd do either way if nVidia hadn't pulled what they did. Here some more.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/60473...f200-chip.html

Quote Originally Posted by From CustomPC
    The first is obviously nForce 790i for Penryn and prior CPUs, then there’s X58 with an NF200 chip, which will allow four-way and three-way SLI setups, with each slot getting 16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes. Finally, there’s the new licensed native SLI setup on X58 boards, which allows standard two-way SLI via two PCI-E slots with either 16 or eight lanes.

The other catch is that motherboard manufacturers have to send their X58 boards to go through Nvidia’s SLI Certification Labs in order to receive the ‘cookie’ that will then be embedded into the BIOS to enable full SLI support. According to Berraondo, SLI support is only ‘turned on only when our drivers determine that the motherboard has passed a special check that makes sure the key and chipset ID are a match and are in fact, certified to run SLI.’
    So Intel would pay nVidia for the "Cookie" (on their boards) while nVidia Paid Intel NOTHING Certified my eye LOL!

So yes shintai, folks should wake up! Business isn't carried on like this. Intel-AMD/ATI-IBM and others have always done it the right way. It's goes like; you pay me, I pay you or I get it free if you get it free! nVidia wants; You pay me for mine but I get your tech free.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast