Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD earnings report...

Xtreme Cruncher

AMD earnings report...

Chip maker AMD reports a fourth-quarter loss of $1.42 billion as revenue fell 33% from a year earlier.

Source: WSJ link

As an aside: This is about AMD and it's finances, etc. Please, for the sake of everyone here, keep this on topic. If you think there is a mere possibility for offense taken by any comment, keep it to yourself out of respect for those around you. Thanks very much, and happy commenting .
    Last edited by xVeinx; 01-22-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: wording change on WSJ

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ouch.

In the fourth quarter of 2008, AMD reported a net loss of $1.424 billion, or $2.34 per share. For continuing operations, fourth quarter 2008 loss was $1.414 billion, or $2.32 per share, and the operating loss was $1.274 billion. The results for continuing operations include an unfavorable impact of $996 million, or $1.64 per share as described in the table below. Loss from discontinued operations was $10 million, or $0.02 a share.

For the year ended December 27, 2008, AMD achieved revenue of $5.808 billion. Fiscal 2008 net loss was $3.098 billion. AMD reported revenue of $5.858 billion and a net loss of $3.379 billion for fiscal 2007.
    AMDs stock is at 2.02$. I wonder what they will be at tomorrow...Gross margins was 23%

CPU down 37%, GPU down 30%.
    Last edited by Shintai; 01-22-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The stocks are going to take a hit, no question.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Ouch.

AMDs stock is at 2.02$. I wonder what they will be at tomorrow...Gross margins was 23%

CPU down 37%, GPU down 30%.
    no it was not, global gross margin was 43%

Fourth quarter 2008 gross margin was 23 percent, including a negative impact of 20 percentage points due to a $227 million incremental write down of inventory due to weak market conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Addict
    Gross margins was 23%
    43%
    23% is acountig write down of inventory, not chip fabrication.

The number are as bad as everyone predicted. The Arabs are going to be the key to keep amd floating with money.

What is the outlook for Q1?
    Last edited by v_rr; 01-22-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    They've really hung those shareholders out to dry haven't they? They can't dump it off or they'll get raped, and they can't hang onto it because it's headed for zero. I feel for the shareholders.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    no it was not, global gross margin was 43%

Fourth quarter 2008 gross margin was 23 percent, including a negative impact of 20 percentage points due to a $227 million incremental write down of inventory due to weak market conditions.
    Still 23%. The invetory is lost and had 0% gross margins. The other is just fancy accounting. Its not a gross margin covering "some parts".

And Q1 2009 gonna be alot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by v_rr View Post
    43%
    23% is acountig write down of inventory, not chip fabrication.

The number are as bad as everyone predicted. The Arabs are going to be the key to keep amd floating with money.

What is the outlook for Q1?
    Its unsellable fabriacted chips.

Also the arabs wont do anything to keep AMD afloat. Not sure where you got that illusion. They would lvoe to see AMD in knees to sell the other 34% in the foundry company. They wanted the fabs with technology. They didnt want AMD.

AMD should spinoff the graphics division soon so it doesnt have to crash with the rest. GPU division made a 10mio loss(270mio revenue), CPU division lost 431mio(873mio revenue).
    Last edited by Shintai; 01-22-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    That is a lot, goodby to break even point for quite a long time

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just hope they won't go bankrupt, i can't imagine having Intel as the ONLY big x86 CPU player in the market and the total monopoly effects it brought.

Xtreme Addict
    How long will AMD last? What after it?
    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    I just hope they won't go bankrupt, i can't imagine having Intel as the ONLY big x86 CPU player in the market and the total monopoly effects it brought.
    Don't forget VIA.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    will AMD profit in the future or its just doomed to disappear ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    will AMD profit in the future or its just doomed to disappear ?
    anything could happen one way or the other
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Cruncher
    What are the current solidty ratios of AMD and Intel?
    Last edited by Xcel; 01-22-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: addition

Xtreme CCIE
    That is one spicy meatball of a loss.

Their stocks are getting so low in value at this point (and apparently headed downward) that if I had more than just some kind of vague hope they'd pull up I'd be buying like crazy. Oh well.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcel View Post
    What are the current solidty ratios of AMD and Intel?
    whatever it is I doubt it's very good.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Member
    what about the dubai investors, werent they supposed to take over the plants of something?

i would of thoughts with the sucess of the 4 series the GPU side would be up...
    |Rig|Sold my monster, stuck on a Q8200 and 9500Gt with 4G of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Originally Posted by jimmyz
    This chip is gonna stop piracy like condoms prevented unwanted pregnancies and STD's.

Banned
    With the state of the economy being so dire, I'm not sure what exactly one should make of these results in terms of working out how AMD is doing in a sense.

It may well be that with PhII and the HD4xxx series of cards that their execution has improved markedly, it certainly appears that way, but they could still end up being swamped by the economic cycle working against it.

Next Qtr will be interesting for sure, as I suspect it will be worse for all the major IT players, the question is, how much worse?

AMD's fate rests with their Abu Daddy now, will they see enough potential to throw them a lifeline, or will the next two Qtrs convince them to walk away?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    With the state of the economy being so dire, I'm not sure what exactly one should make of these results in terms of working out how AMD is doing in a sense.

It may well be that with PhII and the HD4xxx series of cards that their execution has improved markedly, it certainly appears that way, but they could still end up being swamped by the economic cycle working against it.

Next Qtr will be interesting for sure, as I suspect it will be worse for all the major IT players, the question is, how much worse?

AMD's fate rests with their Abu Daddy now, will they see enough potential to throw them a lifeline, or will the next two Qtrs convince them to walk away?
    February the Deal is done.
    The arabs can also simply buy AMD besides the fabs.
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

Banned
    February the Deal is done.
    And what do they do if they come to the conclusion in March that they are looking at losses going forward as far as the eye can see?

The arabs can also simply buy AMD besides the fabs.
    And lose the x86 licence in the process, how would that make any sense?

Xtreme Member
    And what do they do if they come to the conclusion in March that they are looking at losses going forward as far as the eye can see?

ATIC whips out check book that goes as far as the Hubble can see and saves the day?

"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Xtreme Addict
    Why will they lose X86 license?

It will be still AMD, they simply get a new investor with money. If IBM could buy AMD, the Arabs can also.
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

Xtreme Addict
    Abu Dhabi Wealth Fund is in the same boat as the rest of the world, was worth a whole lot more at the end of 2007 then the end of 2008. Plus oil is way below their break even point.

Not sure they are going to want to pour more money down the hole when nobody knows how long before the good times arrive.

Banned
    Why will they lose X86 license?

It will be still AMD, they simply get a new investor with money. If IBM could buy AMD, the Arabs can also.
    IBM have their own x86 licence, and the licensing agreement between AMD and Intel does not allow for AMD to be sold and retain that licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy22 View Post
    ATIC whips out check book that goes as far as the Hubble can see and saves the day?
    They will only do that if they can see light at the end of the tunnel, and there may not be any that makes sense for them to continue to invest in the foundry industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment View Post
    what about the dubai investors, werent they supposed to take over the plants of something?

i would of thoughts with the sucess of the 4 series the GPU side would be up...
    the 4 series was the savior of q3, q4 has problems with useless phenoms that couldent sell becouse of the p2 being right around the corner and core2 price price drops and there, then q3 had most of the 4 series upgrade sales and new card sales are always low
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast