Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD earnings report...

X.I.P.
    Today also Qimonda Bunkrupted.
    When Mercedes brought their C111 to Talledega years ago and blew away the closed course record did it count? Yes..
    That was a "factory" car and a "one of" that no one could buy and was never sold.
    Records are records and that is a fact so get over it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    What was to stop the AMD-nvidia partnership? Remember how close they used to be? On AMD zone for example Nvidia was as well though of as AMD itself but now, Well things changed. Could AMD not have achieved a lot of the platform centric products with nvidia and been in the black to day still owning its fabs in exchange for sharing profits in the future? I think sticking with the AMD-Nvidia partnership would have been better.
    There were numerous rumors on the web that an AMD-nVidia merger was discussed, but that Jen-Hsun wanted to be head CEO in charge. Hector did not like the idea apparently.

Not sure if it is true, it came from your usual rumor-rag sites (FUDzilla, The Inq).

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by GeertDB View Post
    My day is getting worse by the minute

first some freaks kills 2 babies and a grownup in a daycare center, and now another very bad financial report of one of two x86 chipmakers, even Intel is reporting a loss i think
    I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing that ... did they catch him? Do they need someone to throw the switch, if so I eagerly volunteer.

Intel has not reported a loss (yet ) ... but this recession thing is long long from being over, it will get worse before it gets better (IMO).
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing that ... did they catch him? Do they need someone to throw the switch, if so I eagerly volunteer.

Intel has not reported a loss (yet ) ... but this recession thing is long long from being over, it will get worse before it gets better (IMO).
    they have caught him a few hours later, but we don't have te death penalty here, i live about 0,5km from that daycare center, ed up world we live in

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by GeertDB View Post
    they have caught him a few hours later, but we don't have te death penalty here, i live about 0,5km from that daycare center, ed up world we live in
    I am generally not for the death penalty, but these type of actions, the severity and horridness of the crime, really make me consider it -- hence, my offer to the authorities It is unimaginable, just truly sickening.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    There were numerous rumors on the web that an AMD-nVidia merger was discussed, but that Jen-Hsun wanted to be head CEO in charge. Hector did not like the idea apparently.

Not sure if it is true, it came from your usual rumor-rag sites (FUDzilla, The Inq).

Jack
    I do not mean a merger, A partnership of shared ideas and a shared will to compete. They worked together for years with strong nvida gpu and chipsets with amd cpus, Could they not co develop fusion etc?

Xtreme Addict
    My wife works in day care, I do not want the death sentience for that bastard, Let him suffer for years at the hands of other lags that will be equally disgusted by his actions.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    What I think is gonna happen is the Arabs are mainly interested in AMD for the property. The property and buildings will be worth more than the company and that's what they're after. They can sell it off for a handsome profit when this economy turns around. They could also use it for other buisness ventures. They can just sit on that property. It's a buisness deal for them. They are not interested in AMD at all, and I'm sure they knew AMD was on its way out when they bought it...that's why I'd buy it. If it were me and I had that kind of money why mess with a failed company when I could turn it into a money maker. These people are smart. They didn't buy into that company to take huge losses. It's already well past failure stage. It's just a matter of the legalities and letting the courts decide how to divide up what's left of any money to pay back some of the debt they owe. A court definitely needs to get ahold of those books though. I'm surprised this has been allowed to go on as long as it has.
    i see some part of that becoming signature.. lol.. seriously. who here wants amd to go down.. why so intel can charge you 800 USD for a Core i7 ?? or so that intel can sit on Corei7 for another four years without doing anything spectacular.. ?? hmmm..

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Totally unrelated, but one thing I think that caused this recession, especially this tech one was the failure of vista.
    Man, that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker2k View Post
    Come on Javier, be nice; it's the red hole.
    Unfortunately, yes. You have to respect the red hole
    Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 01-23-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Mentor
    I do not mean a merger, A partnership of shared ideas and a shared will to compete. They worked together for years with strong nvida gpu and chipsets with amd cpus, Could they not co develop fusion etc?
    I don't think this would have worked, that partnership already existed anyway. AMD needed the rights to the intellectual property as well as the design talent under roof to achieve the intended level of integration. I doubt, in your scenario, that nVidia would have simply handed over the blueprints for their GPU to a foreign entity.

Xtreme Member
    OUCH! That stings!
    i7 920
    P6T Deluxe
    6GB G-skill 1600
    4870 1gb
    2x 500gb 7,200 barracuda raid 0
    900W PSU
    BenQ G2400WD 24"
    Sennheiser PC 350

http://www.youtube.com/user/knissel

I am Xtreme
    My wife works in day care, I do not want the death sentience for that bastard, Let him suffer for years at the hands of other lags that will be equally disgusted by his actions.
    Absolutely, compared to getting turned into some one's girl friend, killing him would be the easy way out!

Anyway, ATI didn't help AMD. AMD had the Texas plant and employees to start their own Chipset department. ATI's chipset wasn't that strong. Most folks in-the-know didn't think AMD wa making a bad move buying ATI, they just thought AMD paid too much.

I read on the respected Tech-Web (not fud on inq) that AMD was in merger talks with nVidia. nVidia broke off talks.

Last year it was estimated that 287 million processors were sold. A normal 4th qt would have meant 300 million a new plateau. 200 million would be good the way things look right now. Only 150 million wouldn't surprise me if things don't pick up. No, I'm not wondering why Intel isn't in a hurry to get i5 out. It would just be more glut that'd drag prices even lower. It would hurt them as well.

Oh, Vista did nothing to hurt tech. If anything hurt them, it's that they made better products for the last 6 years. Most households have more than 2 computers and it is NOT seen as a necessity. Many business' have 3 to 4 year old computers dependable computers made by AMD and Intel that can run anything on the market. Intel even admitted that a lot their sales were in emerging markets, distribution AMD didn't have. Then the downturn is crushing them, NOT Intel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

AMD also announced they're going to let production slip below demand:

AMD executives acknowledged Thursday that they plan to let existing inventories in the reseller channel deplete, and then manufacture fewer processors than its customers demand, so as to not be stuck with excess inventory.

AMD lowered its manufacturing rates during the fourth quarter, in part to reduce its inventories in response to flat or down market demand, Rob Rivet, AMD's chief financial officer, told investors in AMD's fourth-quarter conference call Thursday afternoon. AMD reported a loss that exceeded revenue.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2339449,00.asp

Xtreme Addict
    The whole tech industry has definitely been hurt by the fact that 3-4 yr old HW runs what 70% of all users need just fine. If anything the Vista launch fiasco just made a few more people (re)buy hardware...

Also what most worries me about AMD is that all their new tech (Phenom) is based around performance rather than efficiency. These days if you want people to upgrade you need to produce something that's more energy efficient. A few years back when Intel went on their performance per watt rampage it seemed a bit odd but that's what's paying off for them right now.

Put out Phenom II @ 2-3ghz using 45-85w TPD and you'll do much better with the mainstream market than 2.8-3.5ghz @ 105+w TPD. Use the ATI branch to integrate to make all-in-ones with under 80w TPD. I'd imagine those would sell VERY well in the business world! Tell them they'd be saving 100-200w per computer, that adds up FAST

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangyl View Post
    The whole tech industry has definitely been hurt by the fact that 3-4 yr old HW runs what 70% of all users need just fine. If anything the Vista launch fiasco just made a few more people (re)buy hardware...

Also what most worries me about AMD is that all their new tech (Phenom) is based around performance rather than efficiency. These days if you want people to upgrade you need to produce something that's more energy efficient. A few years back when Intel went on their performance per watt rampage it seemed a bit odd but that's what's paying off for them right now.

Put out Phenom II @ 2-3ghz using 45-85w TPD and you'll do much better with the mainstream market than 2.8-3.5ghz @ 105+w TPD. Use the ATI branch to integrate to make all-in-ones with under 80w TPD. I'd imagine those would sell VERY well in the business world! Tell them they'd be saving 100-200w per computer, that adds up FAST
    Yes, yup and you got it! Yes I saw AMD cutting back as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Live Long And Overclock
    AMD's not going anywhere: http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-A...es-95042.shtml

Those guys in Dubai have tons of cash and are largely un-affected by this recession.

Perkam

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    AMD's not going anywhere: http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-A...es-95042.shtml

Those guys in Dubai have tons of cash and are largely un-affected by this recession.

Perkam

HES BACK!!!

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post

HES BACK!!!
    Stop that. I never went anywhere.

Perkam

Engineering The Xtreme
    Stop that. I never went anywhere.

Perkam
    well you certainly had you jaw wired shut for a while then glad to see you around again though

Xtreme Addict

Perkam
    I heard different, Oil prices and whatnot. Also, What makes you think they would put money into AMD?

Xtreme Addict
    That would be way too risky. IP sharing and exposure, what if it leaks?

It's too dependent on company relations, and even nV and MS had infightings before despite being partners on the Xbox chip so not a good way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Mentor

that's what athlon X4 is 95 watt most likely over rated they have no l3 cache just 4 cores and Ht3.0
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoxxy View Post
    How do you know so much about so many things. You must be Shintai MCSE, CCDE, CFA, ACCA, PE ... * professional. You are smart about many things, my congratulations.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I see AMD's problems relative to the entire tech sector and overall deflationary economy of reduced aggregate demand. Seagate is undergoing major difficulties as well; but there aren't that many as passionate about hard drives, much less to pit one hard drive company against another.

Whether we like it or not, AMD is caught in a economic maelstrom, while the entire tech sector is undergoing a paradigm shift. The entire landscape is going to change (over the next few years) faster than the actual tech. It's almost impossible to talk so definitively in these times. I'm also curious to see how AMD's lawsuit against Intel unfolds.

BTW, as of 12AM EST, AMD is up 5.45%, while the Dow is down 1.39%.

Xtreme Member
    Interesting article in today's The Economic Times about AMD's effort to break Intel's monopoly in India, especially in the govt. sector.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/4021476.cms

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker2k View Post
    Come on Javier, be nice; it's the red hole.
    Hell no itīs the pink one

+1
    AMD should hire you. Am still searching for a good quad the will be using less power(45w-65w) Damn electric bills

I heard different, Oil prices and whatnot. Also, What makes you think they would put money into AMD?
    No matter how bad the economy is people will still drive.

In a nut shell....because of price and tech.
    We all need AMD around to stalemate Intel as far as we need cpus tech to advance.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast