Thread: GPUGrid and BOINC points

XS WCG Hamster Herder

GPUGrid and BOINC points

As I understand it right now, the BOINC points we produce are somewhat leveled across all BOINC projects by some mechanism. Is it G Flops or something like that? I'm wondering why my 260-216 produces WUs worth a rough average of 9500 PPD BOINC points vs a good OC quad, which produces on the order of 2500 PPD.

Is there true equivalence here? Anyone know?

Sorry for the dumbazz question if it's some obvious answer. This will certainly not be my last dumb question....

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Bob.... back in Rosetta there was the issue brought up about cross project scoring and how it didn't exist. Unless this has changed, I will assume that BOINC points across diff projects are NOT the same. But if you can prove me wrong cool. I see seen some of your posts recently that seem to compare the Q6600 with a gfx on boinc points alone.... but like I said I don't think you can compare cross projects.

Xtreme Cruncher
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Computation_credit So, 100 BOINC credits per GigaFLOP is the standard. How they apply this to GPU's I don't know since CPU's are double-precision and GPU's are single.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Thx for the info guys. The article at the Berkley page is informative. I'll have to study it a bit.

I was hoping to have a mechanism to directly compare CPU crunchinng to GPU crunching. It appears to be not so simple.

It may help if I asked at WCG and GPUGrid how the claimed credit is derived. If they both follow the Berkley standard, a direct comparison should be possible using claimed credit. However, it says on the page that some projects do their own method of calculating claimed credit. In this case some backwards extrapolation would be required to make it apples-to-apples again.

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

c[_]
    Wish I knew how it was scored.

Put my 8800GTS/512 (800c/2000s/1050m) and 8600GT (702c/1728s/777m) on and they scored 9200 points on the first day of work so far. XP64 with 8 cores of E5450 @ 3.6ghz behind them... also doing WCG at the same time

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.