Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Controller Mod?

Xtreme Addict

Question Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Controller Mod?

I'm looking for an alternative to the Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Controller but there is none so I'm thinking about modding one.

(See here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811995016)

I'd like to replace the knobs with different ones... I hate those knobs because A.) I think they're tacky and cheap looking, and B.) They're too bright. I don't like flashy blinding LEDs and cheap looking knobs on the front of my cases. I like the classy black steel knobs.

Is it possible to remove them without destroying the device? I also need to know if the metal axles are compatible with other knobs I can buy separately. Does anyone know the answer to these questions?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    for the sunbeam extreme rheobus, haven't tried it out. But for the previous rheobus thats 22W per channel. Those knobs are compatible with everything i threw at it.
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmmm... Does anyone know??

Common, someone help me out! I know some of you have this controller, yank a knob off and give me the low down.

Grrrr
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    just tried to yank it off, didnt come off. sorry bruh. after reading your post it kinda intrigued me as well to see what i could do but no luck. i know what someone did on here was take off the face plate and mod their stock 5.25 bay plate to fit the knobs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am looking to mod mine as well. I was thinking about painting (spray painting) the knobs black and removing the paint in the hole that is black now.

I still may do that.
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Addict
    easy ... get some masking tape, mask the area, and spray paint the knobs

Xtreme Addict
    But I want aluminum or stainless steel knobs....

How about just pinching them with a wrench till they just crack apart? I think they're probably glued on or have one of those little plastic clickers inside that locks it on by fitting into a groove.

Xtreme Addict
    if you're seriously ... want to remove the knobs ... use the dremel and shave/grind it off .. it should show the inner designs .. if it's removable it should be .. or else you might have to shave/grind everything ..

then for that aluminium knobs ... even it doesnt fit .. use epoxy to glue it, wait 24hrs .. voila

Xtreme Addict
    The last time this happened with something very similar... forgot what it was, I just started lightly chewing a small wrench around it, it kept cracking until it was all white then it just fell off on its own. I'm thinking that would probably be a better idea than my dremel.... With the dremel, I might accidentally slip and damage the unit or go too deep and screw up the metal axle.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Post pics when you get started.

-Jason
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Addict
    Why don't you do it...? You own one already...

You can pull off the knobs with pliers.

Last edited by nderscore; 01-22-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    What size knobs does it use??

Excuse the pic, have to be in class soon. I would say 5-6mm knobs.

Xtreme Addict
    Looks like 6. Thanks so much!

Hey, I used to have an online store in my favorites on my computer, but that rig blew up this year. They sell used stuff, unused stuff, stuff bought in auctions... including a HUGE supply of all types of knobs... Anyone know of a store like that online? I'm having a lot of trouble finding the place again. Anyone seen this store before?
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 01-22-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, thanks guys. I actually wanted to buy that one but hated the knobs. That helps.

If you're going to buy one of those, try newegg or xoxide or a trusted place like that.

Xtreme Addict
    I already have it in my shopping cart wish list... I have for two weeks. I just need a good electronics online outlet. Hard to find a place with a good selection of nobs that don't just include plastic and one color metal knobs. I'm looking for metal with some black paint on them... but not solid black. I love that kinda stuff. I plan on having rims like that on a car one day.

Xtreme Member
    If you replace the knobs, there will still be the LED glow around them, right? I've been eying one of these as well.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, but if its a solid color it will just backlight it against the panel. It won't be 6 brightly colored nobs blinding you in a dark room. And if its till too bright, those LEDs have a date with some wire cutters. snip snip! Or I guess maybe I could just solder some different ones in there. Shouldn't be too dificult.

Xtreme Addict
    thanks for the pics, gonna pull mine and marker pen the LEDs
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Addict
    So.... does anyone know where to get aluminum 6mm knobs?? (That DON'T cost 4 or 5 dollars each? Thats freakin stupid. I won't pay that.)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nderscore View Post
    You can pull off the knobs with pliers.
    £WGGT£Y£WU^RSTSERESD R*YW)YB *W)%£!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I tried this and the knobs simply would not budge, and I think I can spot a bit of glue holding them in...

Anyway, ended up bending the LEDs inwards and shoving in a few layers of cloth, now its really really dull, I'll have to wait till tonight and see how much the improvement is
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    Sapphire HD6870
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    LG W2286L

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post
    Well I tried this and the knobs simply would not budge, and I think I can spot a bit of glue holding them in...
    Make sure you grab the knobs from the side like this.

If you grab it from the front, then you do not have a sufficient grip and it won't move.

The wrong way

I believe there is no glue that holds them together as I was able to remove the knobs off of two units manufactured a year apart.

Xtreme Addict
    I tried both ways, I didn't remove the plastic front though, anyway, main aim was to dull/block the LEDs which I have, I must take night time pic when I get my camera back.
    It's gone from total room illumination to barely visible, I'll see how its like at night
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    Sapphire HD6870
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Addict
    Well mine should be arriving Monday. I'll let you guys know if I have any trouble removing them. I just got another idea. What about just laying all the knobs out on a peice of paper, and just spraying them with black plastic paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast