Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 SSC review

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
    4870x2 stock

285 SSC 756/1764/1323-PhysX OFF

CPU running 4ghz

PhysX On

Just FYI so no one gets confused if you're not paying attention to the details...

As impressive as it seems, you're comparing a highly overclocked 285 to a stock clock 4870x2. Not to mention you used two different processors there, with the slower processor on the 4870x2. You can clearly see the CPU score making up a big part of the difference in the overall score since you scored almost 2K more points using the newer quad CPU with 285.

And while Vantage is nice for bragging rights, it doesn't really represent real world gaming as the 4870x2 is still considerably faster in every game that supports crossfire. Since most games rely more on actual video card speed than CPU speed unlike Vantage scores, the comparisons wouldn't be nearly as close in real world gaming with the 4870x2 walking away from the 285. In the end, it looks closer than it actually is and the test isn't a controlled comparison.

But that being said, great

I hope it's not a psu problem I was running setup below with two 260s and had the same problem after overclocking so far on them turned the fans upto 100% and started to see diffrent problems each time I ran the system just sold up on the 260s looking to get two of these beasts and maybe a 1000w + power to rule this out this time around these card retail @ 370 pounds and only get 340 for two gtx 260s so will be looking at a big investment on new i7 sli rig like £1700 which hurts but should see out the next 2 years or so.
    Evga 780i
    Q9650 running @ 4.2ghz, vcore 1.368 full load
    Ocz flex pc-2 9200 4gb running @1120mhz, v2.15

60 runs linpack stable

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by davidoff619 View Post
    I hope it's not a psu problem I was running setup below with two 260s and had the same problem after overclocking so far on them turned the fans upto 100% and started to see diffrent problems each time I ran the system just sold up on the 260s looking to get two of these beasts and maybe a 1000w + power to rule this out this time around these card retail @ 370 pounds and only get 340 for two gtx 260s so will be looking at a big investment on new i7 sli rig like £1700 which hurts but should see out the next 2 years or so.
    What PSU do you have?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkout View Post
    Just FYI so no one gets confused if you're not paying attention to the details...

As impressive as it seems, you're comparing a highly overclocked single gpu to a stock clock dual gpu
    Fixed

I'm guessing your an ATI user?
    Last edited by Flinch; 01-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.

I'm using a hiper 880w never let me down so don't think it's that to be honest

Saying it's fixed why worry when the more the compertion heat up the cheaper the pricers will go. Both fanboys win! Ati have done realy well with starting this year on a high but nvidia always come back just as strong there for lower pricers
    Evga 780i

60 runs linpack stable

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fixed

Just stating the facts. And while your edit is a weak attempt to justify your biased post, it doesn't change anything.

And for the record, you would be surprised if I told you what card I'm using at the moment.

Xtreme Addict
    I just tried clocking my CPU back to stock volts/mhz (1.52v/3200mhz vs. 1.35v/2400mhz) as well as the other system voltages to test a theory. With the CPU overclocked, and video card stock clock except shaders @ 1672, it would crash immediately with the video signal going out as described before. With the CPU clocked stock along with volts/etc. to free up some power from my PSU, the shaders can go to 1672 just fine, through multiple bootup tests. Flicking the overclock back on causes 1672 to crash immediately again. (I didn't try higher).

So, I'm confident now that it's the PSU causing my issues and not the card. I'm ordering a Corsair 850w (850TX) PSU to power this beast, and then we'll see just how high it goes .

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    What PSU do you have?
    Fixed

I just tried clocking my CPU back to stock volts/mhz (1.52v/3200mhz vs. 1.35v/2400mhz) as well as the other system voltages to test a theory. With the CPU overclocked, and video card stock clock except shaders @ 1672, it would crash immediately with the video signal going out as described before. With the CPU clocked stock along with volts/etc. to free up some power from my PSU, the shaders can go to 1672 just fine, through multiple bootup tests. Flicking the overclock back on causes 1672 to crash immediately again. (I didn't try higher).

So, I'm confident now that it's the PSU causing my issues and not the card. I'm ordering a Corsair 850w (850TX) PSU to power this beast, and then we'll see just how high it goes .
    I would keeping testing that out and would also go for a 1000w so you have all the head room for future upgrades.
    Evga 780i

60 runs linpack stable

Xtreme Guru
    Well, my card won't go past 1740Mhz shaders for folding. Other than that, maybe with some additional cooling some higher clocks are possible. Looks like I will have to hit up Thermalright for a HR03 GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Well, my card won't go past 1740Mhz shaders for folding. Other than that, maybe with some additional cooling...
    How about the new Artic Cooling Accelero Xtreme for the 260, 280, and 285?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Not to mention you used two different processors there, with the slower processor on the 4870x2. You can clearly see the CPU score making up a big part of the difference in the overall score since you scored almost 2K more points using the newer quad CPU with 285.

But that being said, great
    Oh great! Someone who hasn't gotten the message yet.

F.Y.I., when the Q6600 OC'd to or close to the same speeds at the Yorkfield, both are equal in performance, sure at stock speeds, Yorkfield would take the (slightly) advantage, but OC wise? Pretty equal, reason why I didn't get a Yorkfield ($373) but a Kentsfield ($150).

As for a single GPU vs TWO GPUs? Well, it's never good to compared a Dual GPU card with a Single GPU card, but yet, just because the Dual GPU card is on two PCBs AND using dual slot doesn't justify comparing it to a single GPU card on a single PCB AND using dual slot.

BTW, read about it: http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=17
    ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 BIOS 1236 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 8MBL2 @ 3.15GHZ | G.Skill DDR2 800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ & XTreem DDR 800 D9GMH - 4GB RAM Total | 4:5 Ratio @ 350fsbx9 | Tuniq Tower 120 | BFG GeForce 9800GTX | Seagate 2x 250GB Perpendicular HDDs RAID-0 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V | Samsung TOC T240 24" LCD Monitor |

Worlds Fastest F5
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Looks like I will have to hit up Thermalright for a HR03 GTX.
    Dont forget to hit up Arctic Cooling for an Accelero Xtreme GTX280 as well! (and get one for me while you're there please)
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Worlds Fastest F5
    I'm ordering a Corsair 850w (850TX) PSU to power this beast, and then we'll see just how high it goes .
    You'll be pulling over 80amps with that overclock so that is what is making your 520W cry

850W = good move
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
    Oh great! Someone who hasn't gotten the message yet.

F.Y.I., when the Q6600 OC'd to or close to the same speeds at the Yorkfield, both are equal in performance, sure at stock speeds, Yorkfield would take the (slightly) advantage, but OC wise? Pretty equal, reason why I didn't get a Yorkfield ($373) but a Kentsfield ($150).

As for a single GPU vs TWO GPUs? Well, it's never good to compared a Dual GPU card with a Single GPU card, but yet, just because the Dual GPU card is on two PCBs AND using dual slot doesn't justify comparing it to a single GPU card on a single PCB AND using dual slot.

BTW, read about it: http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=17

Your wrong of course, as evident by the CPU score in the benchmark comparison. Both CPU's running about the same same speed yet the Yorkfield scores 2K points more. That's what is making up the difference in those two system comparisons, not the video card, which is what I was pointing out.

Not even sure how you got involved in discussion unless you're just trying to defend your Q6600. And your argument about the single GPU vs. dual GPU is pretty weak, but you've got a long post history of thinking it's somehow unfair to compare those two cards which is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Blkout; 01-18-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not even sure how you got involved in discussion
    That's why I posted the link, so you can educate yourself and learn that a Q6600 at the same speeds as a Q9650 will yield the same performance/score. 4.01ghz vs 4.03ghz

Just because your eyes see Q6600 and Q9650 doesn't mean the Q9650 is faster, don't let the big model number fool you, look at the "clock speeds" in which both are running, so, don't let the "model" number fool you. For once.

And also, "newer" doesn't mean "faster", and again, look at the link which you obviously have not seen and see that OC'd speed will give you the same performance when all are running at the same core clock speed as the rest.

Pay attention to the clock speed, NOT the "newer" model number, as you have not understood yet.

You can clearly see the CPU score making up a big part of the difference in the overall score since you scored almost 2K more points using the newer quad CPU with 285.
    Newer is NOT faster. It's the clock speed that counts, F.Y.I., ONE more time: http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=17

All CPUs running at 3.70ghz. Read and look at the charts just in case you can't read (Greek), at least the numbers speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Nasgul; 01-18-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 BIOS 1236 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 8MBL2 @ 3.15GHZ | G.Skill DDR2 800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ & XTreem DDR 800 D9GMH - 4GB RAM Total | 4:5 Ratio @ 350fsbx9 | Tuniq Tower 120 | BFG GeForce 9800GTX | Seagate 2x 250GB Perpendicular HDDs RAID-0 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V | Samsung TOC T240 24" LCD Monitor |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
    That's why I posted the link, so you can educate yourself and learn that a Q6600 at the same speeds as a Q9650 will yield the same performance/score. 4.01ghz vs 4.03ghz

Just because your eyes see Q6600 and Q9650 doesn't mean the Q9650 is faster, don't let the big model number fool you, look at the "clock speeds" in which both are running, so, don't let the "model" number fool you. For once.

And also, "newer" doesn't mean "faster", and again, look at the link which you obviously have not seen and see that OC'd speed will give you the same performance when all are running at the same core clock speed as the rest.

Pay attention to the clock speed, NOT the "newer" model number, as you have not understood yet.

Newer is NOT faster. It's the clock speed that counts, F.Y.I., ONE more time: http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=17

All CPUs running at 3.70ghz. Read and look at the charts just in case you can't read (Greek), at least the numbers speak for themselves.
    Dude, give it a rest. I didn't say anything about bigger CPU number naming or newer CPU's being faster, but regardless of what you think the Q9650 is faster than the Q6600. The numbers are RIGHT here showing a 2K point increase with the Q9650 compared to the Q6600 and actually the Q6600 has a 18MHz speed advantage and still places behind the Q9650 in CPU score.

Defend your Q6600 all you want, but I'm talking about Vantage scores here and it's right there posted for your viewing pleasure. I've read many of your posts in the past and you're always wrong, yet you seem to argue until someone gives up and gets tired of arguing with you. Guess what, I'm not playing that game with you as I have better things to do with my time. I've already proven my point. I can only speculate that you jumped into this conversation to defend your CPU because otherwise your argument isn't relative to this thread as the evidence is already posted showing that you're wrong.

Xtreme Addict
    What I decided to try was adding a 9800GT card to the other PCI-E slot, and then load the rig up as much as I could with Prime/ATItool. It ran without issue and did not crash or shut off. The moment I upped the shader to 1620 again, BAMF! it crashed with the system hang/video loss, then blue-screen. I'm pretty sure now that it's not the PSU, as if it were already borderline I'm skeptical it would run fine with an added video card to feed.

Do you think I'm on the right track here? I just set up a cross-ship to get a new BFG GTX 285 in my hands on Tuesday early afternoon...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What I decided to try was adding a 9800GT card to the other PCI-E slot, and then load the rig up as much as I could with Prime/ATItool. It ran without issue and did not crash or shut off. The moment I upped the shader to 1620 again, BAMF! it crashed with the system hang/video loss, then blue-screen. I'm pretty sure now that it's not the PSU, as if it were already borderline I'm skeptical it would run fine with an added video card to feed.

Do you think I'm on the right track here? I just set up a cross-ship to get a new BFG GTX 285 in my hands on Tuesday early afternoon...
    I think you've just reached the limit of your card on the shader clocks.

Xtreme Member
    Jakup = eVGA product manager someone said? Is that correct I assume?

(Not that I expect an answer on this one hehe but...) is the SC the same as the SSC hardware-wise but for the testing and binning?
    Yes, he works for eVGA
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker View Post
    Dont forget to hit up Arctic Cooling for an Accelero Xtreme GTX280 as well! (and get one for me while you're there please)
    I have a feeling that by the time that thing makes its way to broad retail availability, the next gen cards will be out...

Xtreme Member
    Hi guys whats the most any of you have got from your gtx285 cos most of the stock clocks are pretty good but there is always room for a bit more.
    ASUS RANGER VII
    i7 4790K
    8GB CORSAIR 1600 xmp
    BE QUIET SHADOWROCK SR1
    EVGA GTX 770
    2 X 840 EVO SSD
    CORSAIR AX850W

Xtreme Guru
    well after a simple mod.. ive reached 800 core without any vmods/cooling mods

50mhz gain

gtx285: pleasant card to mod.. and lots of mods

no worry guys.. there will be a slew of mods posted by pros

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post

What mod did you do ? Link ?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post

50mhz gain

Yes, can you please be a bit more specific...I have 2 GTX 285 SSCs in my shopping cart now...waiting to push the button. Need just a bit more convincing.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    What mod did you do ? Link ?
    no link.. im the link

hard mod on the back of the card

soldering required

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeblast View Post
    Yes, can you please be a bit more specific...I have 2 GTX 285 SSCs in my shopping cart now...waiting to push the button. Need just a bit more convincing.
    wait a second.. dont make me your dealing beeache.. if you wanna buy.. buy! if you dont.. dont! lol

this mod + more other mods will work on all gtx285s

look.. the mod its not proven.. yet

wait for the pros.. if they dont post anything on it.. i will
    Last edited by NapalmV5; 01-20-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast