Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking my 745i

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Senater_Cache View Post
    things to get in order....
    #1 chip (reprogramming the ECU will get the most power increase for the least money)
    #2 Headers / Downpipes (exhaust out quicker = air in quicker)
    #3 Exhaust upgrade (see above + sound!!)
    #4 intake system
    #5 Suspension upgrade
    #6 Twin Turbo / Supercharge the car! you should be after about 500-650hp at this point, maybe more.
    Thanks. I have some saving up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    www.dinancars.com

There you go

Thanks. I have some saving up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazu View Post
    Is this the 16 year old who was asking how to make his dads beemer FAST AND FURIOUS? Just a little advice, buy your own car and rice it up. Not the BMW. Those things are not made for tuning.
    Not exactly, he will be buying a new car soon because he wants something faster and instead of just junkyarding the bmw he might give it to me if I behave. Since it's already a nice car, I wouldn't mind putting in a couple hundred to make it even nicer.

A 7 series definitely isn't.
    But the 3 and 5 series are. (not the 1 series, that's a rip-off)
    Ooh purty. Bmw 7 series ftw since they go fast but are super luxurious. Heave as hell though, mine is 4.64 tons!

Xtreme Mentor
    A 7 series is more of a luxurious tourer. Sure it can go fast, but you're meant to enjoy the journey.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A 7 series is more of a luxurious tourer. Sure it can go fast, but you're meant to enjoy the journey.
    Oh I do enjoy driving it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t p1mp View Post

Not exactly, he will be buying a new car soon because he wants something faster and instead of just junkyarding the bmw he might give it to me if I behave. Since it's already a nice car, I wouldn't mind putting in a couple hundred to make it even nicer.
    A couple hundred bucks will take you nowhere if you are looking for performance gains. You'll need thousands.
    Keep the 745 stock, save cash for a while. Then sell the 745 and get an 02-03 M3. Spend the cash on a HPF Stage 1 kit. Go on the streets and blow out anything that gets close to your bumper.
    Last edited by NoX; 01-29-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Asus P4C800ED P-M 730@2.8 7700Cu
    2X1GB OCZ - ATI X800XT AIW - OCZ PS 520W

Xtreme Member
    I don't see a 15/16 year old driving a 745i. But that's me.

leave the car alone. It will do 150+ and feel like a Cadillac doing 30, but better. If you want speed, and a lower insurance premium, trade it for an M3, and use the leftover cash for a twin turbo setup with a decently built up motor.

Just sayin. I was told I'd get one of our 3 Vettes, one of them a '96 Grand Sport I had done engine work on when I was 14. I got a '98 Nissan Sentra. And I do miss that car.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer2k3 View Post
    I don't see a 15/16 year old driving a 745i. But that's me....
    Exactly. If I had a car like that I would either keep it 99% stock or sell it and get a car that would suit my needs better.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme Mentor
    Exactly. If I had a car like that I would either keep it 99% stock or sell it and get a car that would suit my needs better.
    Definitely.

@ l33t: 7 series BMWs keep their value incredibly well, and you could sell that and probably get a nice, faster 3 or 5 series. Or you could get an AMG Mercedes. examples: 330ci, 335i, 545i, 550i, E39 M5, E55 AMG (that's what I'd get), CLK55 AMG, CL55 AMG, C55 AMG)
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 01-31-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    Or do something sensible like getting some cheap car and saving the rest of the money.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme Mentor
    Or do something sensible like getting some cheap car and saving the rest of the money.
    That too.
    But it's pretty clear he is rather well off.

Xtreme Cruncher
    a 745 is not meant to be tuned.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Cruncher
    And the way you talk, you WILL crash it very quickly.
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Windows Server 2008 x64 | Dual Screen: 20" TFT @ 1920x1080 | 19" TFT @ 1440x900

Media Streaming Rig/Spare PC

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

20GB Western Digital IDE Drive

Windows XP Professional x86 w/SP3 | TV/Monitor @ 1920x1080

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
    And the way you talk, you WILL crash it very quickly.
    Thats the way I talk.

I might, 7 series are pretty expensive, and think of all the pc parts I could get with the money!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Clearly this is your first outing though, you're what, 16? You want to get out there and be king of the street racing when you don't know how to handle a car of such power to start with.

I started with a 72BHP hatch and after 12,000 miles of driving I keep that as a daily and picked up a car to actually modify and drive fast. You know when you learn race driving they never teach you to drive fast, they teach complete control.
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Xtreme Mentor
    #1 chip (reprogramming the ECU will get the most power increase for the least money)
    #4 intake system
    #5 Suspension upgrade
    #6 Twin Turbo / Supercharge the car! you should be after about 500-650hp at this point, maybe more.

you don't come off as knowing very much about cars.... maybe you shouldnt be offering advice like that
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Addict
    4.64 tons of wheight isn't going to handle fine at high speed throught a corner. Hell, I don't even like to drive a VW passat 60km/h throught a small corner. All that weight in the back that wants to move forwards when you hit the brakes. A sporty car needs more then a high top speed on a straight road. That bimmer just isn't sporty at all, so don't rice it!
    Last edited by ownage; 02-02-2009 at 05:51 AM.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Cruncher
    It's a car to be driven around in most of the time anyway. It'll put the power down in a straight line now and again but it's not what you want for speed. You want to learn to drive first.
    Main Rig

Entertainment Centre

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
    It's a car to be driven around in most of the time anyway. It'll put the power down in a straight line now and again but it's not what you want for speed. You want to learn to drive first.
    For that a relatively highpowered RWD car with automatic transmission is not the best choice. Get a cheap Corolla and learn to drive. After that you think about getting something with more power and maybe tuning it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For that a relatively highpowered RWD car with automatic transmission is not the best choice. Get a cheap Corolla and learn to drive. After that you think about getting something with more power and maybe tuning it.
    Even though that's a good idea for some, it doesn't apply for others. Cars are basically the same as computers, you can start off with a lot of power on your first build but you won't know what to do with it for the first few months. After a while you get the hang of it and put it to good use. It's a lot cheaper to start off with a nicer car than with a complete beater and learn to use it, then dump it and get a nicer one. Same thing for my first built, I didn't want to practice anything on a crap computer, I just jumped in with a quad, water cooling and a 780i (pretty difficult setup back then).

Xtreme Addict
    First of all, you cant compare driving a car to a playing with your computer. There are real risks involved that you might actually harm yourself and other road users. That doesnt happen with computer, you get a bsod when you fail at overclocking and you just reset cmos. When you start driving the temptation to drive fast is strong but your driving skills are not very good. So people who have just gotten they're driving licenses usually over estimate they're driving skills and end up in accidents mostly because of over speeding into a corner or losing control of the car on a slippery surface. Getting a fast and expensive car and assuming you can master it with little or no driving experience is wrong. Even a Corolla can be a good car in decent condition. I had a Corolla when I started driving and it was in good condition (as should car be) and it wasnt a 'beater'.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    First of all, you cant compare driving a car to a playing with your computer. There are real risks involved that you might actually harm yourself and other road users. That doesnt happen with computer, you get a bsod when you fail at overclocking and you just reset cmos. When you start driving the temptation to drive fast is strong but your driving skills are not very good. So people who have just gotten they're driving licenses usually over estimate they're driving skills and end up in accidents mostly because of over speeding into a corner or losing control of the car on a slippery surface. Getting a fast and expensive car and assuming you can master it with little or no driving experience is wrong. Even a Corolla can be a good car in decent condition. I had a Corolla when I started driving and it was in good condition (as should car be) and it wasnt a 'beater'.
    However I don't recall saying race the fast car on your first few days of driving it. I did say get used to it then after a while give her a bit more juice when you do race.

Xtreme Addict
    I wasnt talking about 'racing'.... I was talking about young drivers in general and secondly you dont do any kind of 'racing' on the streets unless your a complete idiot.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you dont do any kind of 'racing' on the streets unless your a complete idiot.
    QFT. Even if I were to go on a track (theres a few of those near my house) you could still easily learn how to control the faster car without having to buy a junky one to start off. I don't have the balls to just floor it on my first few times in a new car, and I don't have the balls to give my cpu more than 1.6 on water so I think I'm pretty safe on that.

Anyways, let's wrap this topic up, I'm not buying a car and the bmw is being handed down to me once my dad buys a nice car for himself (he has always wanted a porshe).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    #4 intake system
    #5 Suspension upgrade
    actually, while reprogramming will make quick power for not so much money, it's probablyu the last thing you want to do.

exhaust, intake, and suspension are first, then the turbo and tune come at the same time.

otherwise you gotta get it tuned twice(or more if you are anal retentive about getting every bit of power out of every modification you put on the car) and tuning costs about 400-500 bucks on something like an lsx car, bmw i can see costing around 1000 for a tune honestly.

wait till you put a power adder or some sort of a major mod on the car to tune it. major mods would be, cams, heads, entire intake, filter to manifold, etc. otherwise, nothing you do will change the air fuel ratio enough to honestly justify a tune.
    emptiness

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t p1mp View Post
    QFT. Even if I were to go on a track (theres a few of those near my house) you could still easily learn how to control the faster car without having to buy a junky one to start off. I don't have the balls to just floor it on my first few times in a new car, and I don't have the balls to give my cpu more than 1.6 on water so I think I'm pretty safe on that.

Anyways, let's wrap this topic up, I'm not buying a car and the bmw is being handed down to me once my dad buys a nice car for himself (he has always wanted a porshe).
    The way you're approaching it all, you will write that car off pretty fast. Your father should know better than to give it to you.
    Main Rig

Entertainment Centre

Xtreme Member
    For one, you still seem to think your father is going to hand over his at the time $70,000 car to you.

Second, with the arrogance you put out thinking that a 333hp v8 RWD car is a fine first car for a 16 year old, I foresee natural selection becoming inevitable.

I live in NH. It snows here. Alot. When kids (me included) learn to drive up here, their first winter is scary as hell. There's no feeling like a 2400lbs Nissan going fine and suddenly your sideways down the main road doing 30, with ABSOLUTELY no control. ABS doesn't help. Neither will any type of stability control when the person behind the wheel has no experience in recovering from this type of situation. You pray to whatever you believe in that you don't cross over to the other oncoming lane.

I layed that out using a tiny import as an example. Picture this as a 4400 lbs bmw with rear wheel drive. You just killed the driver in the other lane driving a corrola, and maybe a pedestrian if it's a crowded street. And that's if you can figure out how to navigate to downtown in a rear wheel drive car in the middle of winter in the first place.

This may be considered extreme by a lot of people on here, and that's the point. I always look for the worst possible effect with the cause, and I just don't see this ending well, if it even truthfully happens.

If your dad is really this rich and that well off, he will have the common sense to start you off in a POS, whether you like it or not.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast