Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XtremeSpeakFreely.com

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI

XtremeSpeakFreely.com

yeah... a new home for us SF types so we can stop bugging the XS staff...

(yes this post is OK with XS)

Ok, I've secured the domain name and am ready to roll... only problem is

I've never done it before, lol!!!!

But I do have the basic theory down...

XSF will be a vbulletin site, very similar to XS, unrelated of course. XSF will be moderated and will NOT be "anything goes"...

XSF will be modded and adminned (lol) by people from both ends of the spectrum... I'm hoping Speederlander will step into the role...

Same basic rules as XS... no bad words, no flaming, no racial nastiness!

We will entertain thoughtful debate on provocative issues... and have fun, too...

At first, membership would be open ONLY to XS members of good standing with at least a few months membership here.

We will use our XS user names and avatars for familiarity.

We will have NO tech forums, no competition to XS. Just a main forum and MAYBE a sub forum or two.

It will be fun. Very fun. Lots of beard scratching.

So... who wants to help me get this in the air? Anyone have php, vb experience and such?

C

Beefy!
    I've setup a lot of forums in the past, it's really not too hard. I can help get this going if you want.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    yeah... a new home for us SF types so we can stop bugging the XS staff...

(yes this post is OK with XS)

Ok, I've secured the domain name and am ready to roll... only problem is

I've never done it before, lol!!!!

But I do have the basic theory down...

XSF will be a vbulletin site, very similar to XS, unrelated of course. XSF will be moderated and will NOT be "anything goes"...

XSF will be modded and adminned (lol) by people from both ends of the spectrum... I'm hoping Speederlander will step into the role...

Same basic rules as XS... no bad words, no flaming, no racial nastiness!

We will entertain thoughtful debate on provocative issues... and have fun, too...

At first, membership would be open ONLY to XS members of good standing with at least a few months membership here.

We will use our XS user names and avatars for familiarity.

We will have NO tech forums, no competition to XS. Just a main forum and MAYBE a sub forum or two.

It will be fun. Very fun. Lots of beard scratching.

So... who wants to help me get this in the air? Anyone have php, vb experience and such?

C
    I have VB admin experience (I have my own VB), I even have a VB license that I will be willing to apply to your cause if you are interested.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm in. I'll post more after dinner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    so is that the first 3 members?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd join. Admin/mod privileges to first 5 members?

Xtreme Addict
    inb4 6th member!

im down for #7
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    I like reading and watching the arguments...

I'll sign up as soon as it goes live.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Charlie, if you could PM me some sort of IM/Phone information that would be great so I could contact you directly about the logistics of the site.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll sign up but listen more talk less as You guys have some pretty funny debates...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

Xtreme Mentor
    Those who participate can help by keeping a link to the forum in their sig, assuming XS has no issues with that.

As Charlie indicated, the fewer sub-forums the better. I would recommend starting with a serious discussion forum and a chat forum (so people don't use the main discussion area for simple chatter).

I would also recommend vBulletin as it has a great set of features and good support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm in too.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Those who participate can help by keeping a link to the forum in their sig, assuming XS has no issues with that.

As Charlie indicated, the fewer sub-forums the better. I would recommend starting with a serious discussion forum and a chat forum (so people don't use the main discussion area for simple chatter).

I would also recommend vBulletin as it has a great set of features and good support.
    I own a vBulletin that I can set up if you guys want to, I am literally allowing you to use my license...
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Banned
    Wow, could admins ban other admins? If yes, count me in.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx]Raptor22 View Post
    I own a vBulletin that I can set up if you guys want to, I am literally allowing you to use my license...
    ssweet. one hurdle down.

"I eat motherboards"
    I guess I'll take a join.
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I'd also like to see lots of deep threads, meaning of life type stuff, physics, astronomy and stephen hawking type stuff
    Last edited by charlie; 01-12-2009 at 07:00 PM.

[XG] Xtreme Gamer
    I'll join for shure
    I am Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    Damn, I go take a nap and have a snack, play with the cats and when I come back there's a freaking revolution!!!

I'll certainly do whatever I can to help.

How will it be hosted? Are we going with a free hosting site or are we going to get a commercial hosting service? I guess it could technically be hosted from someone's home but you would probably need to make arrangements with your ISP. PM me if I can help with that or anything else. There's also an email address in my profile but it's a forwarding address so I might not get stuff right away. I did some research recently on rankings of hosting services.

Can we not have a language filter on the new site. I think BBS software will give you the option of replacing certain words with other characters if you need the posts to be family friendly. But this should be an option you can select or deselect in your profile.

Alllllll Aboooaaarrrd!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Why have a language filter at all? Honest question, I'm not trying to bash your decision charlie. It seems to me, to be old enough to have a decent, serious discussion about anything political/scientific in nature, you are already old enough and exposed to vulgar words.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    Why have a language filter at all? Honest question, I'm not trying to bash your decision charlie. It seems to me, to be old enough to have a decent, serious discussion about anything political/scientific in nature, you are already old enough and exposed to vulgar words.
    Vulgarity pushes people over the edge of good conversation too often. It's also unnecessary for a good debate. Nothing gained by allowing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

XS News
    I'm in if you'll let me Charlie.
    RIP Dad. I will miss you always.

Q6600,DFI X48 T2R,280 GTX,4gig ReaperX,XiFi Prelude,LL TYR PC X-2000,Westinghouse 37,Klipsch 5.1 Ultra

Xtreme Addict
    This sounds pretty awesome,
    Charlie as the leader.
    Speeder and I, second and third in charge
    (I'm providing the forum), and whomever volunteers (and is accepted) to moderate.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast