Thread: Maximum "recommended" PCI-E Frequency?

Xtreme Addict

Maximum "recommended" PCI-E Frequency?

Hello! Currently clocking my 920(locked multiplier meh).

So atleast with air my hardlimit seems to be 3660mhz after that I am not OCCT/LinX stable anymore.

With CPU State "P0" I very early hit a HTT wall at 247, but changing this to "P1" changed things quite abit. Still have P2/P3 to test.

My NB is also locked so I am independent on HTT clocking, and with "P1" state I hit into another wall at 290 and thaught I'd do something I've never ever done before, change the PCI-E frequency.

But I've heard changing this too much isn't good in the long run for a 24/7 stable system? Very should I put my limitations? My system/current stable clock is in sign.

I AM WELL AWARE THIS COULD BE CPU LIMITATIONS SO DON'T COMMENT ON THAT!
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

XIP
    Raising pci-e freq will improve your video card loading textures (if you use pci-e vid.card)
    It linked to sata bus, sometimes if you increase pci-e freq it will affect your sata hard drive even corrupted it.
    Imho, <120 should be fine and it won't damage your vid. card

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Raising pci-e freq will improve your video card loading textures (if you use pci-e vid.card)
    It linked to sata bus, sometimes if you increase pci-e freq it will affect your sata hard drive even corrupted it.
    Imho, <120 should be fine and it won't damage your vid. card
    Ok! I'll try changing the PCI-E and see what happens
    SweClockers.com

XIP
    I think it won't help your cpu oc.

Xtreme Addict
    It didn't help at all, was worth a shot ^^ Now its time to test the other 2 P-States
    SweClockers.com

is even changing the pci-e speeds needed? i just set mine at 101.

What are "cpu states" I have seen this commented before in Brothers DFI poll. Is that a setting for DFI boards? I looked for those cpu states in the asus bios to no avail.
    C3 Phenom II 965 BE (0941CPMW)
    Msi 790Fx-GD 70
    2x2 gb OCZ AMD Black Edition 1600mhz DDR 3
    2x MSI HD 5850's OC edition X-fire
    2x Western Digital 250gb 16mb cache Raid-0
    1x Seagate 1 TB Data
    SILVERSTONE|DA700 700W RT Power Supply
    Koolance INX-720 (Koolance 345 block)
    LianLi pc-60fwb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
    What are "cpu states" I have seen this commented before in Brothers DFI poll. Is that a setting for DFI boards? I looked for those cpu states in the asus bios to no avail.
    cpu states im assuming are the different multiplier settings.

Xtreme Addict
    The Maximum "recommended" is of course 100 or 101

I used to OC my PCI-E, but that was before I had a lot of sata drives loaded with tons of info. Now I leave it turned down because I dont want to lose my data, but before that I used to run my 7800GTX at 150MHz PCI-E speed.

I havent heard of changing the PCI-E helping overclocks on the CPU lately, but back in the 939 days there were a few boards (mostly DFI) that OCed better when you set the PCI-E frequency to a certain number. Some boards really liked 113. Others 109, etc. But again, I havent heard anything like that affecting OCs in these later times.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    The Maximum "recommended" is of course 100 or 101

I used to OC my PCI-E, but that was before I had a lot of sata drives loaded with tons of info. Now I leave it turned down because I dont want to lose my data, but before that I used to run my 7800GTX at 150MHz PCI-E speed.

I havent heard of changing the PCI-E helping overclocks on the CPU lately, but back in the 939 days there were a few boards (mostly DFI) that OCed better when you set the PCI-E frequency to a certain number. Some boards really liked 113. Others 109, etc. But again, I havent heard anything like that affecting OCs in these later times.
    Ive lost data on some Mobos while using Sata's,, even @110 Pci-E.

When at all i will use 100 or 101 if the Mobo needs to be locked. Most auto lock anyway.

If anything raise the PCI-E CORE volts a little at a time ,, this helps the Ram slots and CPU talk to NBchipset. It brings stability when pushing things even at High or low HT.

Also some systems like Ganged better than Unganged and Timing is a factor of Brand Ram you use.

It all makes sense to tweak your Voltages some Once you hit a wall.

Well thats my 2bits worth
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

I can only think that the OP when saying "CPU State" is referring to the "AMD CPU Stepping" BIOS entry on the DFI 790FXB.

It's a cryptic setting with no explanations I have found so far for what it is/does but users on DFIClub forums said using P1 or P2 yielded better OC results than using P0 (see this thread - http://www.csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9826).

I have only used P0 on my board...time for some P1 action when I get home today I suppose
    Last edited by the pharaoh; 03-22-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Phenom II X4 965
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    G.Skill ECO 1600CL7
    Radeon HD 4850 Crossfire
    150GB Raptor OS drive
    2x500GB Hitachi data drives

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by the pharaoh View Post
    I can only think that the OP when saying "CPU State" is referring to the "AMD CPU Stepping" BIOS entry on the DFI 790FXB.

It's a cryptic setting with no explanations I have found so far for what it is/does but users on DFIClub forums said using P1 or P2 yielded better OC results than using P0 (see this thread - http://www.csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9826).

I have only used P0 on my board...time for some P1 action when I get home today I suppose
    Worked great for me tested all 4 of them now

P0 was worthless, wouldn't go stable over 246 HTT.
    P1, Stable all the way to 289HTT (with lowered multiplier).
    P2/P3, both yielded same results, but was slightly less table then P1.

My clock is in sign, and my CPU really has a reached a its limit. Anything above 3660mhz = unstable, this clock is stable in LinX for 2 hours, will run a full test 12h+ this week.
    SweClockers.com

Xtreme Addict
    Was trying to find the best PCI-E freq. for 3dmark06 on my old Giga DQ6 board a while back and only discovered that anything over 103 began lowering my score by about 10pts for every 1mhz OC not sure if it was the board or what but I ended up at 98mhz to get best score...........can anyone explain why?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Engineering The Xtreme
    I 've killed a nearly brand new sata drive in 3 months running PCI-E @ 115. I wouldnt touch it over 105 personally

Xtreme Member
    100/101
    all you need on a 24/7 basis
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

Xtreme Member
    i ever boot into windows @ 200mhz. i didn't set it on purpose though. everything ran fine except my gfx ain't detected

Brilliant Idiot
    Reference manta had P and N memory tweaks and P states, good stuff
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

XIP
    Bench with IDE hd, 24/7 with sata

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Bench with IDE hd, 24/7 with sata
    Or very oldschool 36gig raptor, virtually indestructible for a sata drive......on it's 30th bench rig by now
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    according to AOD my pcie frequency is 13mhz and everytime i try to change it it reverts back to 13mhz. im guessing its just a bug.

People who increased the PCI-E frequency noticed any change in overall performance?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Deye View Post
    People who increased the PCI-E frequency noticed any change in overall performance?
    This is extremely unlikely to impact your system in any meaningful way. IIRC, the jump from PCIe 1.0 x8 to PCIe 2.0 x16 for video cards is small enough to be lost in the benchmarking fuzz as it is.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    My record was 150MHz, so 50% overclock. It gained me a whole 200 points in 3dmark05...Pointless and dangerours to sata hard drives. Just dont mess with it.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod