Thread: "groundhog day" XP machine (*XP loads the same every time it boots)

Xtreme Addict

"groundhog day" XP machine (*XP loads the same every time it boots)

I couldn't think of a better way to explain it then using the movie "groundhog day" as an example where no matter what happens to the OS while your are using it, when it reboots it will always load exactly the same (without the changes made earlier) as it did at some predefined point.

sort of like booting off of a live CD where the OS is a ROM and every time you load it, its exactly the same as before.

I need to make one of my small XP partitions on my hard drive do this. so no matter what happens in the file system or registry it will not reflect those changes when it reboots.

any ideas?
    Current System Build
    Designaton:" Rad Hat "
      GPU: BFG 8800GTX | BFG 8600GT (Quad Monitor Setup)
    • Hard Drives:
      RAID: 2x 74GB Raptors on RAID 0 for OS Drives
    • Case and Power Supply:
      Case: Antec Case | PS: OCZ ProXstreame 1000W
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
    • (Water Blocks and Fittings):
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Addict
    I did find this: RecoveryStar Crash Recovery PCI Card for PC,

Do you think this would work?
    Current System Build
    • Hard Drives:
    • Case and Power Supply:
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Member
    Windows SteadyState:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SteadyState
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

or Deep Freeze if you have a copy of that lying around
    3800 X2 @ 2.7GHz
    DFI nf4 SLI-D
    2x1gb GSkill ZX
    TT Sonic Tower
    Visiontek 4850
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair 750TX

Xtreme Member
    my sisters uni laptop did that bloody annoying. why would you want that?
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Windows SteadyState:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SteadyState
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

or Deep Freeze if you have a copy of that lying around
    Thank you for those suggestions! i tried both.

starting with Deep Freeze - its a piece of junk, not only do they charge for it, but if you load another OS and make changes to the one deep freeze is installed on, those changes are reflected when the "Frozen" OS is loaded. it would be good enough for the partition that my fiancee uses but that's it... its not very secure for people running multiple OS's on a single computer as a virus could easily hide in your "Frozen" partition (most bio-viruses can survive in frozen water, why not a frozen OS too???)

Windows SteadyState - Absolutely perfect for my needs! and its free!!! It requires quite a bit of HD space to use it, but that's the beauty of it. it makes a copy of the entire partition and saves it as a single cache file on the same partition. every time windows is loaded, it boots from that cache file. there is no easy way to access the contents of that cache file from non-local means as its some sort of proprietary format. its easily managed and integrates well into XP and adds some new nifty features. Thanks Heretic for shearing that one with me. I will be using that for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoboclese View Post
    my sisters uni laptop did that bloody annoying. why would you want that?
    Because i like it
    Current System Build
    • Hard Drives:
    • Case and Power Supply:
    • Water Cooling:
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Addict
    [Update]

Windows stablestate - it was working great until today... Now every time i boot it says that the partition protection (OS Cache) is off. i command it to turn back on, reboot and its off again!!! There is no way i have found to keep it on either.

when i first setup stablestate and turned on the partition protection, i made a backup of the cache file. i tried replacing the cache file while i was logged on to another OS, then i rebooted and the original cache file somehow loaded.

I now have to format that partition and start over as some of the changes i made (unknowingly while the protection was "off") can not be restored.

----

Does anyone know of any other programs similar to stable state??? or why stable state is not so stable? I have been logging on as an administrator, but it was working fine for a few reboots, and i dont know when it stopped working as i didnt check it every time...

OH and BTW. I tried uninstalling it, but it says that "partition protection" must be disabled, while it clearly says it already is (and it doesn't have the "extra-off" option).
    so its un-uninstallable......................
    Last edited by Exahertz; 01-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    Current System Build
    • Hard Drives:
    • Case and Power Supply:
    • Water Cooling:
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Member
    I use deepfreeze at school for all the computers I manage, it works but its a pain...
    [SIZE="1"]My Comp...
    i7 @4ghz | ASUS matx Rampage II GENE | 2 Evga SC 285 gtx in SLI| Corsair 850 watt PS | 30gb Vertex SSD of OS | 150gb Raptor | 1.5tb Segate drive | Megahelms cooler | Cooler Master E341 Elite matx case