Thread: T-Balancer to Sensor Hub to Koolance Flow Meter

T-Balancer to Sensor Hub to Koolance Flow Meter

For all you water junkies I just confirmed that the Koolance flow meter
    INS-FM17 Coolant Flow Meter & Adapter Board works with the MCubed Sensor Hub to allow the mCubed T-balancer BigNG to moinitor and shut down the systemin in the event of a pump failure. The flow is the straight thru design and it accepts G 1/4 nozzels. I'm not sure if the readings (LPM) are accurate, the shutdown feature was my concern.

Banned
    Thanks for the confirmation.

If I did not want the shutdown feature, can you connect the flow meter directly to the Sensorhub without the adapter board?

BTW, I had to perform a bucket test to determine my real flow rate of the loop to adjust the "impulse/sec" values to show thew right flow rate in the software.

Xtreme Member
    You can always use the bucket method to correctly calibrate the flowmeter and FWI all the flometers works with tbalancer SH

The shutdown feature is configured with the T-Balancer/Navigator Software & Sensor Hub. The Sensor hub connects to the Case power switch and motherboard. The sensor hub is connected to the T-Balancer and you control the shut down settings using the Navigator software. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to customize the shut down feature/triggers. I used the adapter board that came with the Koolance Flow meter because it had the correct 3 pin fitting on the end. You might be able to connect the flow meter directly to the sensor hub if you change the connector. I like the Koolance design and its pretty inexpensive. I tend to adjust the flow rate(power to the pump) only once during setup/burn-in and just keep it steady until the next build in 12 months. This trickis to find the right balance for the gear/flow restriction & temps & noise. My super fast mini-tower runs overclocked 24/7 and its tucked away inside my desk so the shut down feature is a nice security blanket

ASUS P6T WS, Core I7-920 @ 4.0 @ 1.23V , XFX Black Edition 260 , 12GB RAM CORSAIR DOMINTER 7-7-7-18 IT 1.45V, SSD/SAS ADAPTED 5805
    Last edited by dorian; 01-10-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Xtreme Member
    The adapter is required, it converts the RPM to mL/m.

Xtreme Member
    Must... have... this.
    980x build underway. 2600k commencing soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazukun View Post
    I continue using it in the present state till I am broken

Engineering The Xtreme
    IIRC that flow meter is very restrictive....

Xtreme Member
    Well if it's too restrictive I can stop using it but it will still be a useful (and convenient! I have a BigNG) tool for pulling relative data points as I change my setup around.

Of course it's super useful as a sensor to tell the BigNG to shut the system down in the event of a leak also. I saw someone suggest using a pressure sensor instead for leak detection but the only ones I found quickly on google required price quotes.

Edit: I am also planning on using dual DDC-3.2s in series so hopefully it will not impact performance in that configuration. I am going to test with one pump first of course. I want data so I can learn by EXPERIENCE.
    Last edited by JWMc; 01-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Wait, but this one is compatible with the adapter board also. Does anyone know if the FM-16 is less restrictive than the FM-17?

Xtreme Member
    LOL, nevermind. I found the perfect mate for a T-Balancer:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=23705

Xtreme Member
    The problem with the flow meter that you pointed out is that the hole through which the liquid needs to pass is small (5mm diameter). I personally recommend that you look at this: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...-Highflow.html all you neet to do is to replace the connector and it will work directly with the SH without any modifications. Also it's internal diameter is 9.52mm and is also inline so the restriction will be lower.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for that link tgm! I am already looking at the MIPS Gigabyte X58 full-cover so another order from Germany wouldn't be a big deal.

I have a question about the small diameter (why so small? ) on many of these common flow meters: why are they so small?

But here's another question: If I'm using a 5.5mm nozzled D-Tek FuZion-V2 then a 5.5mm flow meter might not hurt the flow too bad right?

If you are trying for a high flow setup with no nozzles I guess you wouldn't want one of these in your loop ever huh?

I think I'm going to either try the CPU-350 based on NaeKuh's postings about it or the D-Tek FuZion V2 with 5.5mm nozzle if the mounting brackets come out before I decide on my setup. So I'm going for high pressure and flow can drop to 1gpm and I'll be fine, right?

Xtreme Member
    I am looking at getting this sensor http://www.digmesa.com/digmesa/uploa...-387003_GB.pdf

to use with 3/8 tubing and an aquero but I believe it works also with the BigNg.
    ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME || Q9650 @ 4.32GHz 1.38v || (2) x 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7D || SAPHIRE HD 4870 X2 || CORSAIR HX 1000W || ANTEC 1200
    cuplex XT di || Bitspower AIX48SNE-BK || BP-AM48 || (2) BP-WBAMOS1-BK || feser 480 w/ (4) S-Flex F
    aquaero VFD || aquatube white delrin || aquabay || tubemeter || aquastream XT Ultra || aquagratiX HD 4870 X2 wip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [Koolance] Dean View Post
    The adapter is required, it converts the RPM to mL/m.
    I bought two of these new KL flowmeters. One to use normally and one to experiment with and remove the 2-pin connector and convert to a 3-pin fan connector to hook to my sensorbus.

They are not restrictive at all like all the old ones. Good job KL.

Dean, in the mcubed software, you can adjust the impulses/revolution and calibrate any flowmeter to be accurate as long as you do a bucket flow test to establish what your "actual" flow rate is.

Stay tuned.