Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foxconn BloodRage BIOS Bugs/Changes/Additions Report/Request Thread

One-Eyed Killing Machine

Foxconn BloodRage BIOS Bugs/Changes/Additions Report/Request Thread

Since we already have a BIOS Issues & Bugs troubleshooting thread, I think it's the time to collect everyone's ideas, etc in order to get the BIOS fine-tuned and maybe add any missing options or implement new ideas if possible, etc.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    BIOS Feature wishlist
    PCI-Express BUS Frequency control
    The ability to rename the OC Gear Profile Slot description
    tRTW ( Read to Write Delay )
    tRTR ( Read to Read Delay ) [ Same & Different Rank settings ]
    tWTW ( Write to Write Delay ) [ Same & Different Rank settings ]
    tWTR ( Write to Read Delay ) [ Same & Different Rank settings ]
    tWTP ( Write to Precharge Delay )
    tPTP ( Precharge to Precharge Delay )
    tPTA ( Precharge to Activate Delay )
    tPTREF ( Precharge to Refresh Delay )
    RAM Static Read Control ( Is it supported on LGA1366 ? I'm not sure )
    RAM Dynamic Write Control ( Is it supported on LGA1366 ? I'm not sure )
    Allow the user to input all the memory timings & all the voltages manually ( Keyed-in with the NumPad )

BIOS Feature adjustment wishlist
    Change the CPU Core Voltage ( Vcore ) setting from offset ( adding voltage ) to exact value setting ( instead of selecting how much voltage to add, select the exact voltage applied )
    Change the CPU VTT (UnCore) Voltage setting from offset ( adding voltage ) to exact value setting ( instead of selecting how much voltage to add, select the exact voltage applied )

BIOS Setting renaming wishlist
    Stagger Spinup Support ==> Staggered Spin-up [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    Hotplug capable port ==> HotPlug support [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    USB Storage Function ==> USB Legacy Support [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    ITE8720 FDC ==> Floppy Disk Controller [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    PPM ==> PPM ( Processor Power Management ) [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    - too long, ill check if we can add it in the description menu on the right side
    EIST ==> EIST ( Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology ) [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    - too long, ill check if we can add it in the description menu on the right side
    Virtualization ==> Virtualization Technology [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    Hyper Threading ==> Intel HyperThreading Technology [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    CPU Core Voltage ==> CPU Core (Vcore) Voltage [ options = 1.19875V, 1.20875V, etc ]
    - Do you think adding Vcore is really necessary?
    CPU Vdroop Compensation ==> CPU Vdroop Elimination [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    - How about CPU Vdroop = Enabled/Disabled?
    CPU VTT (UnCore) Voltage ==> CPU UnCore Voltage ( Vtt ) [ options = 1260mV, 1280mV, 1300mV, etc ]
    Smart Boot Menu ==> Display the Boot Device Menu [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    CPU Turbo ==> Intel CPU Turbo Function [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
    System Turbo ==> System Configuration [ options = Auto or Manual ]
    - No :P i like system turbo, or do you think its a really bad name?
    Memory Bus Multiplier ==> DRAM Multiplier
    Memory Bus Target Speed ==> DRAM Target Speed

Possible or Confirmed BIOS Bugs
    1) It looks like the Voltage tables are f*ed up when you enable PPM ( in order to enable EIST which is required for Turbo Mode to work ).
    With the BIOS CPU Voltage ( Vcore ) set to +100mV I get 1.515V real voltage in Full Load!
    - The problem is that i7 dynamically changes the Vid on the fly, Intel is basically trying to force droop... we are working on a way to prevent ir or at least make it possible to adjust it and make the vcore vary less.

2) The tRAS ( Precharge Delay ) option isn't applying the exact timing that I set.
    For example I set it to 23 and in Windows I notice that it's set to 21, and on the reboot in the BIOS it is also set to 21
    The same thing happened when I set it to 15. It actually set it to 12.
    The BIOS shows your setting, you save & exit, the board boots fine, but it's applying the wrong value ( 21 instead of 23, and 12 instead of 15 ).
    I'll try some more values later on to see if it happens in every number or at some specific ones.
    - G19 should fix this

3) I have a suspicion that the same thing happens with the tCL ( CAS Latency ) setting.
    I was testing the RAM at 5-5-5-12 ( I set it to 15, but it looks that it sets it to 12 ) and I noticed that:
    CPU-z v1.49 indicated that I was running tCL 6
    Everest Ultimate v4.60 indicated that I was running tCL 6
    Didn't try MemSet & CPU Tweaker, will do later on
    - G19 should fix this

4) It looks like there's a "hole" in between 2.21V and 2.25V Memory Voltage.
    2.21V works fine.
    2.22V and 2.23V are giving me noPOSTs, and overclock recovery.
    Gonna check it out again with both the G13 and the G15 BIOSes to confirm.
    Last edited by saaya; 02-10-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wheeew, our bios engineers are gonna pass out if i show this to them ^^
    thanks for collecting all this stuff bill, ill work on getting this done bit by bit, focussing on the bugs first of course.
    PCIe ocing seperate for each slot isnt possible as far as i know, and overall pciE overclocking seems to be very limited with x58 unfortunately.

Xtreme Member
    Saaya,

Any word if they plan on making it so that when Hyperthreading is enabled turbo still works at 100% load? If not, can they? Thanks!
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4833.55Mhz~EVGA "Classified" E760~XFX HD5870~6GB G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000~Corsair HX1000~2x WD Velociraptor 150GB RAID 0~WD Cavier Black 1TB~Custom Danger Den Water Box Plus~Windows 7 x64 RTM~Dell 2407WFP

H20!
    CPU Loop: MCP-655~Swiftech MCR-220~HEATKILLER® 3.0 LT
    GPU Loop: MCP-655~XSPC RS240~EK FC5870 Plexi+Nickel

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    If you set it to Always On, it should stay at 1x Multiplier higher than your CPU's default multiplier all the time.
    I'm 99% sure, but I'll check it out just to make sure

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    If you set it to Always On, it should stay at 1x Multiplier higher than your CPU's default multiplier all the time.
    I'm 99% sure, but I'll check it out just to make sure
    Could you please check and let me know because when I have Turbo always on and HT on it drops from 21x to 20x at 100% load. Thanks Bench!
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4833.55Mhz~EVGA "Classified" E760~XFX HD5870~6GB G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000~Corsair HX1000~2x WD Velociraptor 150GB RAID 0~WD Cavier Black 1TB~Custom Danger Den Water Box Plus~Windows 7 x64 RTM~Dell 2407WFP

H20!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Touge180SX View Post
    Could you please check and let me know because when I have Turbo always on and HT on it drops from 21x to 20x at 100% load. Thanks Bench!
    Ok.
    Here's how it goes:

1) It looks like the Voltage tables are f*ed up when you enable PPM ( in order to enable EIST which is required for Turbo Mode to work ).
    With the BIOS CPU Voltage ( Vcore ) set to +100mV I get 1.515V real voltage in Full Load!

2) The Turbo mode drops the multiplier to 20x ( from 21x ) whenever a core hits 95C temperature.

So... use the "Always On" Turbo Mode setting, and make sure you measure the Voltage you're feeding your CPU with a Digital MultiMeter, and make sure your CPU cores temperatures stay under 90C in Full Load.

p.s. That's with the G13 BIOS.
    Gonna re-check with G15 & G16 later on.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sascha, it looks like the CAS Latency setting in the G13 BIOS is bugged and doesn't set the value right, at least at 5T.
    I will try the rest later on more than likely.
    It looks like it's setting the tCL to 6 instead of 5.
    Here's a screenshot:

Xtreme Member
    Ok.
    Here's how it goes:

2) The Turbo mode drops the multiplier to 20x ( from 21x ) whenever a core hits 95C temperature.

So... use the "Always On" Turbo Mode setting, and make sure you measure the Voltage you're feeding your CPU with a Digital MultiMeter, and make sure your CPU cores temperatures stay under 90C in Full Load.

p.s. That's with the G13 BIOS.
    Gonna re-check with G15 & G16 later on.
    I never hit over 65C at 100% load so I know that is not the problem. I will check with a multi at what VCore I'm getting at full load. Thanks Bench!

H20!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sascha, it looks like the CAS Latency setting in the G13 BIOS is bugged and doesn't set the value right, at least at 5T.
    I will try the rest later on more than likely.
    It looks like it's setting the tCL to 6 instead of 5...
    I did some further testing:

tCL = 5 in BIOS results in tCL 6
    tCL = 6 in BIOS results in tCL 6 [ I have an idea, I'll check if going from 5 to 6 triggers the normal Save & Exit -> Shutdown -> Power On (POST) sequence as it should if it was actually changing the tCL setting ]
    tCL = 7 in BIOS results in tCL 7
    tCL = 8 in BIOS results in tCL 8
    tCL = 9 ? Didn't test it, that's too slow for me ( gonna try it tomorrow )

Xtreme Member
    What's the BloodRage GTI? Difference? Sorry, can't read the text in the site Click here....
    From VR-Zone.... Click here...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Essentially the same board. Only difference being no SAS ports and just the standard heatsink cooling assembly for the motherboard on the GTi. Hence a reduced intro price.

Xtreme Member
    @raju: Cheers man.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    Essentially the same board. Only difference being no SAS ports and just the standard heatsink cooling assembly for the motherboard on the GTi. Hence a reduced intro price.
    What about the quantum force control panel?

SB Rig:
    | CPU: 2600K (L040B313T) | Cooling: H100 with 2x AP29 | Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Video: MSI gtx570 TF III
    | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB fw009 | HDDs: 2x GP 2TB, 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    | Audio: Cantatis Overture & Denon D7000 headphones | Case: Lian-Li T60 bench table
    | PSU: Seasonic X650 | Display: Samsung 2693HM 25,5"
    | OS: Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1

+Fanless Music Rig: | E5200 @0.9V

+General surfing PC on sale | E8400 @4Ghz

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    It's an optional component that you need to buy separately for both boards ( the BloodRage & the BloodRage GTI )

p.s. Keep the thread on-topic please.

Xtreme Member
    Bench,

Are they still on G16 and if so has there been any news of a new release, hopefully with less bugs?

H20!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sascha is out of the office, and the latest BIOS I have received is the G16 unfortunately.
    Hopefully they'll have a new BIOS for us soon.
    Don't worry, I'm uploading the BIOSes as soon as they arrive in my mailbox and I'll post if a new one comes out

Xtreme Member
    Sascha is out of the office, and the latest BIOS I have received is the G16 unfortunately.
    Don't worry, I'm uploading the BIOSes as soon as they arrive in my mailbox and I'll post if a new one comes out
    Thanks Bench!

H20!

Xtreme Member
    Guys, on the G13 bios. Does it always adjust the tRAS 1 step back? I set my G.Skills tRAS to 21, but after rebooting and going back to the bios, tRAS is set to 20.
    Anyone notice this?

Cheers...

Xtreme Member
    Standing by!
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    Guys, on the G13 bios. Does it always adjust the tRAS 1 step back? I set my G.Skills tRAS to 21, but after rebooting and going back to the bios, tRAS is set to 20.
    Anyone notice this?

Cheers...
    That's an example of one of the known bugs that bench reported. My tRAS re-sets to 16 all by itself!
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Anyone notice this?

Cheers...
    Mine remains at the number I set with G13 bios. I shut it down every night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brmem.jpg 
Views:	1373 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	93738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brmem1.jpg 
Views:	1305 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	93739
    Last edited by dengyong; 01-29-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Xtreme Member
    That's an example of one of the known bugs that bench reported. My tRAS re-sets to 16 all by itself!
    tripgood: thanks, it does it on the two sets of ram I have.

@denyong: Cheers man, got to try another set or memory so I can say its not the ram.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Anyone notice this?

Cheers...
    The answer is standing out there in front of you:

Possible or Confirmed BIOS Bugs
    2) The tRAS ( Precharge Delay ) option isn't applying the exact timing that I set.
    For example I set it to 23 and in Windows I notice that it's set to 21, and on the reboot in the BIOS it is also set to 21
    The same thing happened when I set it to 15. It actually set it to 12.
    The BIOS shows your setting, you save & exit, the board boots fine, but it's applying the wrong value ( 21 instead of 23, and 12 instead of 15 ).
    I'll try some more values later on to see if it happens in every number or at some specific ones.

BIOS Version: G13.
    Gonna check again with G15 in a bit.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Bench....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast