Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lian Li's Launches PC-888 Designer case @ CES

Xtreme Mentor
    What the F is that?

Xtreme Member
    Wow, such a strong reaction for (against) this case . . . it's not THAT bad. I bet it would actually air cool pretty well. Same premise as the PC-X500: intake and exhaust fans in close proximity to mobo area without much obstruction in the way.

There's another thread in the cases forum on this case btw.
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz 1.25v | Ultra 120 Extreme Black | EVGA Classified 760 | 2x EVGA GTX 295 Red Quad SLI | 2x300GB WD VelociRaptor RAID 0 | 2x1TB WD Caviar Black | LG GGC-H20L | 6x2GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 | X-Fi Titanium | Corsair HX1000W PSU | Silverstone Raven | Dell 3007WFP-HC + HP LP3065 30" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1's | DiNovo EDGE | Razer Mamba

Xtreme Addict
    Even if it had an import car female model next to it it wouldn't look good!
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

Xtreme Addict
    it's like the Tapei 101 of computer cases lol

so I guess CES is starting off slowly, not much news out of it this year.

Will find out Friday when I make it down there. Heard things are scaled back a bit this year
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    the case is apparently easy to work with. But damn, its a thousand dollars.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/.../index_4.shtml

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    the case is apparently easy to work with. But damn, its a thousand dollars.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/.../index_4.shtml

$1K?!?!?!
    thats ludicrious!
    what dumb-ass would pay that???

Xtreme Guru
    Looks like Zalman has infiltrated Lian Li.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Life's Replay
    It's shaped like a sail. Therefore, maybe, just maybe, if you put enough fans in it, it'll fly out the window and you'll never have to see it again.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    yeah looks great, the missus loves it,

What did I tell ya
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    I honestly didn't think it was that bad for an air cooled case, but for $1k you gotta be joking.

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

Reply from Lian Li

Hi Guys,
    I am the PR spokesperson for Lian Li, and I have to tell you that the pictures of the case do look rather ugly, but if you see this thing in real life, you will be impressed. It was not based on the Hotel as everyone is suggesting. The design was based on the Spinnaker sail from a yacht, and according to the theme is supposed to be about sailing into a successful year. While many of you might scoff at the thought of this in the light of the last half year, nevertheless that's the idea behind it.
    The dude who did the disservice of putting a vacuum cleaner on what some engineers in Lian Li think of as a work of art (being made mostly by hand) is completely disrespectful, however each is allowed their own view. If the person had instead attached a yacht, it might have had a different effect on peoples perceptions. Either way, I guess other works of art have been ridiculed in their time... Anyway, unless you have seen it in real life, please don't ridicule it. While it is different, it is simply to show what can be done in aluminum (aluminium if you're UK English) and it is not an attempt to change the status quo on cases.

Comments
    Last edited by warlockza; 01-08-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    nonetheless, the vacuum pic is hilarious, imo

but i don't think the case isn't THAT ugly. the color maybe is or how the color appears on the photo. ah, yeah, and they could have left out the strange thing with the antenna on top of it as well everything else looks ok if you ask me.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonas View Post

Beat me to it!
    Bloodrage || 920 @ 3.2Ghz || TRUE Black
    3x 2GB HyperX 2000 || @ 2000Mhz 7.7.7
    2x 300GB WD VR Raid 0 || 2x 2TB Samsung F3 Raid 0
    LG 10x BD-R || LG 22x DVD/RW
    MSI GE 470 || LG 246WP
    Sonar X-Fi || Klipsch 5.1
    Lycosa || Mamba || Exact Mat
    CM ATCS 840 || Seasonic M12D
    Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think it'll sell well in asia just because it has a lot of 8's in the model number.

Other than that, I don't think anyone will care. It's good as a bit of news, I'm just glad no one can force me to buy this thing.

Actually, could probably do with a few more 8's in the model number to help sales. Couldn't hurt.

Looks like a blue Air Conditioning unit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by warlockza View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am the PR spokesperson for Lian Li, and I have to tell you that the pictures of the case do look rather ugly, but if you see this thing in real life, you will be impressed. It was not based on the Hotel as everyone is suggesting. The design was based on the Spinnaker sail from a yacht, and according to the theme is supposed to be about sailing into a successful year. While many of you might scoff at the thought of this in the light of the last half year, but nevertheless it's the idea behind it.
    The dude who did the disservice of putting a vacuum cleaner on what some engineers in Lian Li think of as a work of art (being made mostly by hand) is completely disrespectful, however each is allowed their own view. if the person had instead attached a yacht, it might have had a different effect on peoples perceptions. Either way, I guess other works of art have been ridiculed in their time... Anyway, unless you have seen it in real life, please don't ridicule it. While it is different, it is simply to show what can be done in aluminum (aluminium if you're UK English) not to change the status quo on cases.

Comments
    The blue color and insanely high price is killing it.
    Maybe a black version and a more realistic price would do?

(Photoshop)

Nice, looks good in black.. :-)

btw MSRP is US$640

Xtreme Member
    Burj al-Arab for Arab Micro Devices rigs.
      - Do you like our owl?   - It's artificial?   - Of course it is.   - Must be expensive...   - Very.

PhII 955BE, GA-MA790FX-UD5P, 2x2GB Firestix, HD 4870X2, 2x500GB RAID-0, Corsair 850TX

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warlockza View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am the PR spokesperson for Lian Li, and I have to tell you that the pictures of the case do look rather ugly, but if you see this thing in real life, you will be impressed. It was not based on the Hotel as everyone is suggesting. The design was based on the Spinnaker sail from a yacht, and according to the theme is supposed to be about sailing into a successful year. While many of you might scoff at the thought of this in the light of the last half year, nevertheless that's the idea behind it.
    The dude who did the disservice of putting a vacuum cleaner on what some engineers in Lian Li think of as a work of art (being made mostly by hand) is completely disrespectful, however each is allowed their own view. If the person had instead attached a yacht, it might have had a different effect on peoples perceptions. Either way, I guess other works of art have been ridiculed in their time... Anyway, unless you have seen it in real life, please don't ridicule it. While it is different, it is simply to show what can be done in aluminum (aluminium if you're UK English) and it is not an attempt to change the status quo on cases.

Comments
    the dude is soundood my friend, and yes i stuck your hideus case on a hoover, you have said this is to celebrate what can be done with Aluminium? and to enter into the wind like a yacht, into the new year and all that?

this should have been left at concept stage at the most, personaly i would have dropped it at low-fi prototype. you only have to look at the likes of murder box and other companys to see what the future is about.

these guys are giving us cases that are really about 'thinking out of the box'

but at the same time, practical. as one of the articles has shown us, the peeps wgho brought this to retail version, couldnt even get a handle on the fact that it needed a custom cable to reach the DVD rom, where is someone buying that?

making it i suppose?

and please dont take this the wrong way, i am Lian li all the way, i have three lian li cases here, including my first modded box (that is still my main rig)

i love your cases, and remember when Lian li was really the only aluminium case to go for, god i paid £160 for this case 6 years ago !!!!

ok the hoover pic was sort of out of order, but its funny, hell your lucky i didnt post my transformer pic.

TRANSFORMERS.....Lian li in disguise

Xtreme Addict
    The first thing that came to mind when i saw pictures of this case was immediately the Burj Al Arab. Seriously, the similarities are uncanny.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    The first thing that came to mind when i saw pictures of this case was immediately the Burj Al Arab. Seriously, the similarities are uncanny.
    uncanny is one word you could use, i bet the architects might use another, like 'hey thats my F**IN design in a PC case, there is no dought in my mind that this is where they got there 'insperation'....... cough...... copied from.

maybe Lian Li could bring out a line of PC cases celebrating buildings of the world?

sydney opera house next maybe?

I am Xtreme
    uncanny is one word you could use, i bet the architects might use another, like 'hey thats my F**IN design in a PC case, there is no dought in my mind that this is where they got there 'insperation'....... cough...... copied from.

maybe Lian Li could bring out a line of PC cases celebrating buildings of the world?

sydney opera house next maybe?
    I actually like the sound of that!

Xtreme Addict
    Hell i'd buy an Opera House inspired case, even if only to sit on a shelf as an ornament

DFI LT-X48-T2R UT CDC24 Bios | Q9550 E0 | G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK 2x2GB |
    Geforce GTX 280 729/1566/2698 | Corsair HX1000 | Stacker 832 | Dell 3008WFP

Banned
    ok its yours for $2000, lol (Picture of goods may vary)

its called Macopera OS House

soundood design (Photoshop God)

Xtreme Addict
    ok its yours for $2000, lol (Picture of goods may vary)

its called Macopera OS House

soundood design (Photoshop God)
    I envy your photochop skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123