Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel's murderbox - with a sLight twist

Xtreme Member
    Always a pleasur to see a new Murderbuild

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    That's because in the process of benching the card all setup I learned a few things about Qimonda memory:
    [*]It sucks[*]It doesn't like voltage[*]It doesn't like the cold[*]It suck[*]It dies real easily[*]err....did I mention it sucks?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers Guys.

Anubis: Yes.

Bentleya: 3ds Max.

Yilmaz: Cheers my friend - Greetings from Canada!

Project Update:

Today, we’ll mock-up and do some measuring - then we can design the PLED mount, generate some 3d cad drawings and have the part fabricated. We’ll actually have two parts made; one for the outer layer that will be seen, and one that will serve as the underlying structure, attached to the existing vertical drive structure and have the PLEDs mounted into. As mentioned, the design needs to permit access to the drive bays. While it may be easy to gain access while there’s nothing in there, it would be nice if Daniel could change drives without needing a cutting torch to get the PLED mount off.

Ohtay, pics time.

Hey, I know you…

Will you be a kind TJ07 or fight me every step of the way?

I need to take a moment and pay tribute to the Zen Frog – his blessing will provide the positive chi needed to perform a successful build. Bat$hit crazy? I’ll let you decide.

The #6x32 screw is there for scale - in case you thought he was huge… but then I couldn’t carry him in my pocket… “Is that a porcelain frog in your pocket, or are you…” Ok, I stop now.

Now that I’ve brought my sanity into question it’s time to move on.

The next step is to carefully put the side panels into their protective sleeves. Why orange you ask? Well, when I bring them to have the windows cut, they stand a better chance of survival if they are easily seen. Things have a tendency to disappear in metal shops and the next thing you know you’re standing in front of a guy shrugging his shoulders; which is never good.

Once the side panels are safe, I can relax a bit…

Ok, time for some destruction…

Doh… not yet…

Next, we’ll put the PLEDs in place and get a feel for things.

That’s working…

Yikes, That's going to be a tight fit. Question: why does such a tiny little thing need so much, errr… butt? Are two PCBs really necessary? Well, it is what it is so we’ll have to press on.

Let’s see what the minimal clearance is from the bottom to the top…

23.5mm – Ok…

Now let’s check the available space.

We’ll measure from the closest potential point of contact. We also have to keep in mind that the side panels have grooves at the front edge that need to slide into place, just inside the unibody.

Gah… That’s not much room to work with. We’ve also got to consider the 3mm of clearance we’ll need for the side window. We could go with a thinner window but best not to; it would be more susceptible to cracking. No, we’ll have to figure this out factoring a 3mm window.

Ok, time for some 3d software seat time.

Everything is measured up and we’re ready to click the “make art” button and export some dwg files for laser cutting. We’ll go with 1.5mm (.060) Aluminum – it’ll do the job nicely.

A basic illustration of the part. We’ll have two made and use one for the outer aesthetic piece, and the other will serve as the structural mount.

After being laser cut, the piece will be bent to provide a clean front edge that will meet up with the outer edge of the existing vertical drive structure. Another reason we chose 1.5mm Al; once powder coated, the two should join together nicely to finish the look.

Thanks for checking in - Stay tuned.

Xtreme Addict
    you sure like that rotozip, cant wait to see what thats for

the design is very complimenting, can the color of the display be changed?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_h View Post

Ok, time for some destruction…

Doh… not yet…
    haha, you lvoe that thing Don't worry, the time WILL come.

Keep it up!

Xtreme Member
    Man, some people are just so talented. Me, I'm proud of myself for just being able to work a zip-tie or two.
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz 1.25v | Ultra 120 Extreme Black | EVGA Classified 760 | 2x EVGA GTX 295 Red Quad SLI | 2x300GB WD VelociRaptor RAID 0 | 2x1TB WD Caviar Black | LG GGC-H20L | 6x2GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 | X-Fi Titanium | Corsair HX1000W PSU | Silverstone Raven | Dell 3007WFP-HC + HP LP3065 30" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1's | DiNovo EDGE | Razer Mamba

Xtreme Member

Anubis: Yes.
    yay short word but it does cheers my day...

excatly when it will be available Charles ?

Thx...

Engineering The Xtreme
    Be careful to cool the sidepanel as you cut... I had one of those rotozips melt the sidepanel in one of my builds and it destroyed the bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Be careful to cool the sidepanel as you cut... I had one of those rotozips melt the sidepanel in one of my builds and it destroyed the bit
    From the looks of it, it would appear that he knows what he's doing
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz 1.25v | Ultra 120 Extreme Black | EVGA Classified 760 | 2x EVGA GTX 295 Red Quad SLI | 2x300GB WD VelociRaptor RAID 0 | 2x1TB WD Caviar Black | LG GGC-H20L | 6x2GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 | X-Fi Titanium | Corsair HX1000W PSU | Silverstone Raven | Dell 3007WFP-HC + HP LP3065 30" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1's | DiNovo EDGE | Razer Mamba

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by yenniedn View Post
    From the looks of it, it would appear that he knows what he's doing
    haha yeah everyone knows everything

Xtreme Member
    haha yeah everyone knows everything
    Dood, I don't know the guy but if you look at his schematics, attention to detail, tools, latex gloves, etc. it'd be safe to say that this is NOT the first time he's doing this. I'm fairly sure he's not going to be melting anything inadvertantly.
    Last edited by yenniedn; 01-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Dood, I don't know the guy but if you look at his schematics, attention to detail, tools, latex gloves, etc. it'd be safe to say that this is NOT the first time he's doing this. I'm fairly sure he's not going to be melting anything inadvertantly.
    ... lol I know charles is a skilled modder, so am I. I was just warning him that that rotozip can get extremely hot and melt the panel

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by evil-98 View Post
    you sure like that rotozip, cant wait to see what thats for

the design is very complimenting, can the color of the display be changed?
    As far as I know, PLEDs only come in green.

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    haha, you lvoe that thing Don't worry, the time WILL come.

Keep it up!
    Cheers James.

I sure do loves mah RZoD!

Man, some people are just so talented. Me, I'm proud of myself for just being able to work a zip-tie or two.
    It all starts somewhere. Inspiration is everywhere, I spend a good bit of time studying shapes and forms - and not just women.

Quote Originally Posted by anubis_is_evil View Post
    yay short word but it does cheers my day...

excatly when it will be available Charles ?

Thx...
    No solid release as of yet I'm afraid. They're in the works is the best I can say at this time.

Cheers SD.

All the side panels are cut on a water jet.

Engineering The Xtreme

Cheers SD.

All the side panels are cut on a water jet.
    haha, yeah I figured you would be jetting the panel

what is the rotozip to be used for then? photo practce?

MDPC
    I think he will use it if something does not work out as expected .... to cut the whole build into pieces

Xtreme Cruncher
    Charles you are such a gentleman. I have this image of you modding in formal wear...

Sub'd
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Member
    Charles,

you should write a book on modding at some point. All with nice color pics and everything. I'd buy it. All these skils must be preserved for posterity .

Daniel.

Edit: What an awesome workshop you've got there. Nice and tidy, I can tell no children are allowed in it .
    Last edited by dsecrieru; 01-07-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Great stuff Charles - looking forward to more pictures.

Xtreme Member
    cant wiat for the next update, be interesting to see how easy/difficult it is to get them fitted
    *** Silverstone LC16B MR - 1.5Tb - Q6600 - Silverstone NT07 - 4 Gig PC6400 Corsair - 520W Corsair PSU - LG BR/HD Drive
    Creative XFI Soundcard - Sapphire 4850 512mb ***

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dualbrain View Post
    I think he will use it if something does not work out as expected .... to cut the whole build into pieces
    hehe, exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
    Charles you are such a gentleman. I have this image of you modding in formal wear...

Sub'd
    Cheers CD.

You're spot on with the formal wear - although I've recently switched to a white lab coat that I can toss in the wash. The dry cleaning bills were killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by dsecrieru View Post
    Charles,

you should write a book on modding at some point. All with nice color pics and everything. I'd buy it. All these skils must be preserved for posterity .

Daniel.

Edit: What an awesome workshop you've got there. Nice and tidy, I can tell no children are allowed in it .
    Thank you for the kind words Daniel.

I'm just a noob with much to learn. I do feel blessed to have discovered something that I really enjoy doing. I'd like to thank you for your faith in me - especially trusting me with your prized PLEDs!

As for the workshop; it's quite small and therefore has to be kept very clean. As I said in a previous thread - I pretty much work with a tool in one hand and the shop vac hose in the other (there's a joke in there somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by dreamten View Post
    Great stuff Charles - looking forward to more pictures.
    Cheers dreamten.

The next update will be a good one I think. It will feature the newly fabricated PLED mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by SGwillis View Post
    cant wiat for the next update, be interesting to see how easy/difficult it is to get them fitted
    Cheers SGwillis.

Indeed. I'm excited to try my new Zirconium Nitrate coated drill bits... I think they come from space.

Very nice project again.
    On first page i was thinking about how you're gonna make it look completely rounded with the side panel. Nice idea with the second "aesthetic" facing and crazy job with the hidden usb connectors. These are the little things I like most. Although u can't see them when it's done... this is what it makes it perfect.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers Mr Miyagi!

I hope to have an update tomorrow.

BTW, Beautiful job on your recent creation featured on MDPC! I'm a huge fan of your work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmmm...I like it! I am thinking about something similar with a single blue Aquero. That would also be nice.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers Guys.

Just a minor update today - flu has body slammed me.

Got the parts from laser cutting and bending. I'll use one as the structural mount and the other as the facade. The facade will only need slight modification while the structural piece will get heavily worked over by the RZoD. I probably could have had it made closer to its final form but needed a little quality time with my RotoZip - the kind that involves copious amounts of material destruction.

Thanks for checking in.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ooo, i'm liking this

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast