Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phenom II Spec is not clear!?! ... Whats happening Brothers!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imamage View Post
    Well I prefer Unlocked Multiplier (Black Edition)
    I wonder if AMD will get any AM3 Phenom II Black Edition Soon
    They will, if soon means to you June 09 .

I really think the memory controller is "disabled", only because amd say that and want we to think that it's disabled only because they won't encourage building am2+ mobos with ddr3. Nobody really knows what have they done with Agena and nobody is sure. If we see AM2+ mobos with ddr3, we'll find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRicer View Post
    The 945 is scheduled for April, I believe......and you won't see AM2+ boards using DDR3. It's impossible given that DDR2 and DDR3 are keyed differently.
    I meant with ddr3 DIMM slots, not ddr2. There was a hearsay that asrock have mobo for socket am2+ using ddr3, but it's not been confirmed yet. April, June doesn't matter, it's too long for me to wait .
    Last edited by Stuen4y; 01-06-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    MPOWER|i5 3570K|TRUE Spirit 140|2x4GB+2x2GB|VTX3D 280X|SanDisk Extreme 120GB|HX520W|Arc Midi|G2222HDL|G400s+QcK|Xonar DGX
    F1A75-V EVO|3870K|Venomous X|2x4GB|5830+DeepCool V400|F4EG 2TB|Solid 3 120GB|Silencer MKIII 500W|NZXT Source 210 Elite|IPS226V|Xonar DG
    Overclock yourself, you must!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuen4y View Post
    They will, if soon means to you June 09 .

I really think the memory controller is "disabled", only because amd say that and want we to think that it's disabled only because they won't encourage building am2+ mobos with ddr3. Nobody really knows what have they done with Agena and nobody is sure. If we see AM2+ mobos with ddr3, we'll find out .
    The 945 is scheduled for April, I believe......and you won't see AM2+ boards using DDR3. It's impossible given that DDR2 and DDR3 are keyed differently.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRicer View Post
    it's not stated that the 945 is a BE version, i think all will depend on quality of revision and competition to bring higher speed versions with BE
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like I just stick with 9950BE for the time being , 3GHz is good enough for now

Gaming Rig
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (45W ECO mode)
    HSF : Noctua C14S
    MB : ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate
    RAM : G.Skill F4-3000C14-16GTZR x4 @ DDR4-3000 CL14
    VGA : MSI RTX2070
    PSU : Antec NeoECO Gold 650W
    Case : Corsair 100R ATX
    SSD : Samsung PM981a 1TB + Corsair MP510 1.9GB M.2 SSD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Makes it all that much easier, huh?
    Yeah, AMD makes it look like the last figure says it all, but it seems like it says nothing.
    One thing I don't understand is why there are AM2+ models (940 & 920) at all, why not AM3 only?
    Is it because there are no AM3 motherboards out?

I'd definitely wait for the AM3 models, couldn't hurt having DDR3 support and a newer stepping.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So basically you'd have to be an idiot to buy the 920 or 940?
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

I'm confused now...so am2 and am3 is the same socket?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phistyle View Post
    I'm confused now...so am2 and am3 is the same socket?
    Read here

What cofuses/puzzles me is that anyone wanting a certain CPU-manufacturer success calls two promising models something only an idiot vould buy.
    No wonder AMD is struggling these days.
    Did I stray into the Intel part of the forum by mistake?

3DMarknn - 79506/96025/33499/25592

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razrback16 View Post
    So basically you'd have to be an idiot to buy the 920 or 940?
    No if you don't plan ram and mobo change 940/920 is the cpu for you(like me) if you want to change everything, then wait for the 9x5 processors .
    MPOWER|i5 3570K|TRUE Spirit 140|2x4GB+2x2GB|VTX3D 280X|SanDisk Extreme 120GB|HX520W|Arc Midi|G2222HDL|G400s+QcK|Xonar DGX
    F1A75-V EVO|3870K|Venomous X|2x4GB|5830+DeepCool V400|F4EG 2TB|Solid 3 120GB|Silencer MKIII 500W|NZXT Source 210 Elite|IPS226V|Xonar DG
    Overclock yourself, you must!!!

Xtreme Addict
    the 920 and 940 will be the same thing but only with ddr2 support. the prices on them will most likely drop when the am3 versions are released so if you are certain that you are not going to get ddr3 or am3 then the am2+ one will be a better buy. at one point i think they were going to have a much bigger split inbetween the two cpu's releases (2 maybe 3 months) but it ended up only being a month apart.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    at one point i think they were going to have a much bigger split inbetween the two cpu's releases (2 maybe 3 months) but it ended up only being a month apart.
    Is there only going to be one month between ddr2-ddr3 denebs?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    Is there only going to be one month between ddr2-ddr3 denebs?
    945 and 920 are set for February.

Xtreme Addict
    There's nothing idiotic about 940 & 920 IMO, I just don't understand why they're not AM3.
    Some hardware sites acts idiotic though, claiming all AM2+ owners should hurry getting a 920 or 940, because they'll soon disappear and then there will only be AM3 CPU's.

One more reason why I'd wait for AM3 is that there will be more models available next month.
    I'm not going for the 940 because it costs too much, and the 920 is too close in price to the 940.
    I'm really interested in how the 710 - 910 models perform, and if P2 can do 300 HTT anyway then a multiplier of 12.5 or higher is enough for air cooling.
    The question is how much difference the 6 MB L3 cache does compared to 4 MB in the 800 series, and how those performs compared to the X3's which have 6 MB L3.
    Maybe you don't have to pay a premium for a 940 BE when you're aiming for a stable 24/7 aircooled system anyway.
    You don't really loose that performance premium with the lower end P2's you get with the high end, like you do with C2's: crippled packages and too little L2 (E5000 and Q8000) to make any difference over last gen Conroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuen4y View Post
    No if you don't plan ram and mobo change 940/920 is the cpu for you(like me) if you want to change everything, then wait for the 9x5 processors .
    well it's still kind of stupid to release am2+ chips ...they should of just released am3 chips instead which would still work on the current platform and we can upgrade our motherboard and ram later.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by phistyle View Post
    well it's still kind of stupid to release am2+ chips ...they should of just released am3 chips instead which would still work on the current platform and we can upgrade our motherboard and ram later.
    Now that I think of it, maybe AMD did it just to make sure they didn't miss any customers that totally missed that AM3 CPU's works as well.

Brilliant Idiot
    This is exactly the question I popped to one of the AMD guys at the event, why even bother with AM2+. Just release them as AM3 so people can use them now with they're current boards and future boards should they choose to go for ddr3......It makes no sense to put all that effort into an end of life product with a shelf life of probably 3 months.....Of course you all know the answer that I recieved so lets just wait and see.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    could it be that there is actualy a bigger difference between AM2+ deneb and AM3 deneb performance wise than we are thinking.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    There's nothing idiotic about 940 & 920 IMO, I just don't understand why they're not AM3.
    Some hardware sites acts idiotic though, claiming all AM2+ owners should hurry getting a 920 or 940, because they'll soon disappear and then there will only be AM3 CPU's.

One more reason why I'd wait for AM3 is that there will be more models available next month.
    I'm not going for the 940 because it costs too much, and the 920 is too close in price to the 940.
    I'm really interested in how the 710 - 910 models perform, and if P2 can do 300 HTT anyway then a multiplier of 12.5 or higher is enough for air cooling.
    The question is how much difference the 6 MB L3 cache does compared to 4 MB in the 800 series, and how those performs compared to the X3's which have 6 MB L3.
    Maybe you don't have to pay a premium for a 940 BE when you're aiming for a stable 24/7 aircooled system anyway.
    You don't really loose that performance premium with the lower end P2's you get with the high end, like you do with C2's: crippled packages and too little L2 (E5000 and Q8000) to make any difference over last gen Conroe.
    Many good points her Mats.

Yes, it is perhaps "strange" that 920/940 will not work in (later) AM3 boards.

Current info is that 9n5-models (AM3) will work in both AM2+ and AM3 boards, which is great.

I still think I cannot wait for 9n5, but I do not want to pay "premium" like we always must to be "first in line" for a new product.

3DMarknn - 79506/96025/33499/25592

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, chew* hinted something like that before and I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's hard to see what difference a month can do.
    Unless the AM3 launch dates changes.

Edit: Tack, TL1000S! Yeah, I'm guessing that 4 MB L3 is pretty good for a P2, since the 6 MB models aren't that much faster than the P1 clock for clock that had 2 MB anyway.
    Last edited by Mats; 01-06-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    the reason why they had an am2+ one and an am3 one was because originally the am2+ was going to be released much earlier. you guys can wait and see if it has ddr3 support but i know for a fact the am2+ ones won't support it.

Xtreme Addict
    roofsniper: I guess you're right, they didn't really plan to make a small 1 - 2 month difference.

Xtreme Member
    Sigh not this again. I don't know for 100% sure but AM2+ and AM3 Denebs are identical. Half the point with Deneb is a smooth transition from DDR2 to DDR3. As AMD claims; Buy processor now, upgrade motherboard later. And as ive said 5 times or so now: The AM2+ tag is probably to make it clear that this processor fit in AM2+ motherboards. If it was AM3 tagged no one not knowing would buy it and use it in AM2+ motherboards.
    There are no AM3 motherboards available so people wouldn't buy any AM3 processors.
    However a 'AM2+/AM3' tag would make everything much clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    the reason why they had an am2+ one and an am3 one was because originally the am2+ was going to be released much earlier. you guys can wait and see if it has ddr3 support but i know for a fact the am2+ ones won't support it.
    I want to see those facts.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    As AMD claims; Buy processor now, upgrade motherboard later.
    Isn't it the other way around, buy a mobo and upgrde CPU later?
    I mean, the CPU's are backwards compatible, not the (DDR3) mobos.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    I want to see those facts.
    look at the amd k10h bios developers guide. as many have said already it clearly states in there that am2+ doesn't support ddr3 and am3 does. and this was released before the first phenoms even were. plus as some on this forum have said it is disabled by fuses and the am2+ can't run ddr3. it is disabled on the chip and there is no way to actually change it. plus theres also the idea that it would make no sense at all to release two identical chips in different packages. and then i have already spoken to an amd employee who says it clearly can't and also says its disabled by fuses. if it comes out supporting ddr3 it will be a surprise to everyone. even amd employees i bet. they will wonder which one of them slipped that crap in there.

Xtreme Member
    Deneb is not Barcelona. Just because Barcelona didn't have any DDR3 motherboards doesn't mean Deneb also will have disabled DDR3 capabilities. Deneb might very well be recognized in BIOS as an AM3 processor although on the box it says AM2+, I don't know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast