Thread: Getting a case, need a horizontal motherboard tray....

Xtreme Enthusiast

Getting a case, need a horizontal motherboard tray....

Hi,
    As the thread says, im looking for a case for my new setup, and want one with a horizontal motherboard tray,
    I have been offered a Mountain Mods Horizon with fan controller and DVD drive for £180 (by a forum member, who I hope doesnt mind me asking the rest of you for advice)
    However, I am not sure whether I can really afford to spend that much on a case, and so, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Besides MM, no other manufactuer makes a Horizontal MoBo tray. Trust me I loked for months for one, in the end I was between two options having MM build me a custom one, (wasn't a fan of the box looking acsension) or modding two cases together.

After looking at hundreds and I am not even joking of cases, I landed on Modding two v2110b from Lian Li together. Or atleast I will be if that other case ever chows up, =P

So unless your in for the long hall of modding two cases and have deep pockets, pick that one up!!!

A new MM case usuall runs 300usd and up anyways

Xtreme Member
    There are plenty of cases on the market with horizontal motherboard trays. They are called Desktop cases.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=ATX%20Desktop

Now being a modder i would take the tower of my choice and mod the 5.25" bracket to sit 90 degrees off its original position so the optical drives can be mounted Horizontal and then lay the case on its side. But i'd rather take the trouble to build my own case. But most optical drives are able to run on there sides. If the drive tray has tabs that can pop out over the disk then the drive can run on its side.
    Ntech Duo podcast covers tech news, products reviews, gaming, and any other technology related item.
    Listen to Ntech Duo Podcast
    Ntech Duo Blog and Show notes

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonFaygo View Post
    Besides MM, no other manufactuer makes a Horizontal MoBo tray.
    I think you didn't do enough research than. As noted above desktop cases (or cube cases) have horizontal motherboard trays. There are plenty of them out there, ATX and a a lot of new micro-ATX. This is how computer cases use to look in the old days before towers.

Oh, and you might also want to look at "HTPC" computer cases which are desktop cases with a different name.
    Last edited by JayG30; 01-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry wasn't taking into account the acrylic DD and Sunbeam units. Let alone the old style flat cases.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi
    well, this is for a gaming PC, so every HTPC isnt tall enough for the TRU 120.....
    I want the horizontal mobo tray because I love to tinker, however, I have come to a conclusion that it might be better to get a normal case, and just have it on its side when overclocking, but stands it up when gaming etc......
    And in that case, any suggestions?
    I have looked at the akasa Infiniti Zor, its huge for the price, which might be good, as I may be able to watercool it later....
    I originally wanted something from dander den, the torture rack, but then my mum said I needed an enclosed case, :P
    So, I have been looking at the waterbox/airbox/waterbox+, any views?

Thanks
    Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 01-05-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I would get the DD torture rack if you like to tinker, its awsome also for ocing!
    Whats up?