Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Phenom II List of Overclocks

Xtreme Addict
    i guess i worded that poorly brother esau lol i meant i havent done the long priming sessions on my 9850, i did 12/24hr tests on my 5000be but after reading about all the mosfets popping on the x4's i tried using other methods to find stability haha
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BertM View Post
    as maintainer of the list you can demand more proof of stability and only add to the list like you see fit.
    I agree! This so called new standard of what people deem as "Stable" is utter Bull Sheet!

There is absolutely no way of gauging what we can expect as a norm for 'Stable" Clock Speed per Stepping if we do not set a standard for the word Stable.

@OldGuy..........It's imperative that you institute strict guidelines on this and enforce it. Will be the only way to a concise and accurate Data Base for others to follow!
    Last edited by Brother Esau; 01-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    You guys are fresh on the Boat aint ya? We at one point would not consider a Overclock Valid unless a Full 8HR Prime 95 Run was done immediately Followed by 3DMARK 05 -03 then you could post your overclock achievement
    Not trying to be disrespectful BroE, but I've seen an awful lot of Phenom boards die from running Prime for hours on end and it is usually the power sections of the boards that pop (IE: burnt Fets).

Prime95 is what killed my MSI DKA790GX, well that and a high CPUVid. The Asus 79-T has a very robust power section (8+2) and may be able to handle it but I for one won't be doing any 8hr prime runs.

Maybe I've been on the boat long enough to know better...
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Addict
    yea it might not be 100% stable if you don't run it for at least 8 hours but if you run it for at least two it should be stable for everything else since there aren't aren't programs that run 100% cpu usage besides stressing ones. i still think we should just have a column for how long it was primed and if people didn't prime at all we will all be able to see that.

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe Im not wording this right............I dont have a problem with prime I have a problem with the extreme heat it causes, as someone running on air I can run 1.5v into my cpu and do anything I need to do. When you run prime at those voltages on air the heat little by little start to oversaturate and overpower the system cooling causing shutdowns, lockups and other breakdowns. This leaves people with aircooling out of the loop especially since many who run water will be able to overcome the heat issue and post high overclocks. Is this really a true testament to how the cpu will clock?? People with better cooling will be able to run higher clocks with prime while people with air will be able to hit similar clocks at normal use but not be able to sustain the cooling needed to run prime for hours on end....
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    Enzotech sapphire/Mo-Ra extreme rad
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250
    case: XCLIO A380PLUS-BK

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...rpi4500mhz.jpg
    25,396 06 Phenom 965@ 4.4ghz HIS 5970@960/1260
    21,893 Vantage, Phenom 965 4.2ghz HIS 5970 @960/1260

Phenom 2 125w 965 test results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...d.php?t=117414
    Phenom 2 140w 965 test results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...d.php?t=109214
    Phenom 2 AM2+ 940 cold air results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...ad.php?t=97430

If I dont get every single drop out of my cpu I feel like someone is stealing from me

Xtreme Addict
    If your looking to post "stable" overclocks then Prime is a must. Its the universaly exepted standard for stable. @Titan7171 It will just show a more accurate max OC on various types of cooling.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Addict
    well what are we doing? if im going to have to run prime for 8 hours im most likely not going to submit it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    well what are we doing? if im going to have to run prime for 8 hours im most likely not going to submit it.
    me either, just not worth killing components or shortening lifespan to be on a list

Im upgrading my cooling anyhow and Ill see how it pans out, Im on Thermalright SI-128 SE last time I ran prime I let it go to 72c then just shut it down that was after only 4 minutes or so.Im due for some better cooling, If I can keep it cool then Ill submit the best I can do but Ill still run 24/7 whatever speed I can get to run games,surf and convert
    video without an error......its the way Ive always done it anyway
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585

If I dont get every single drop out of my cpu I feel like someone is stealing from me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Never killed anything running prime, cpu-burn, toast, etc...

I guess if you aren't beyond your stable point of running a system and you run prime you might not have problems, but if your are like most of you and just have it overclocked without knowing its stable then yea I guess prime could kill a few things...

I use my pc's to run Folding@home 24\7 so having a system that isn't stable is out of the question but I guess if all you do is web-surf it would be ok to have a unstable overclock.

2 hrs prime wouldn't even qualify for being stable IMHO
    Last edited by jonspd; 01-04-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    My Heat
    gd-70\955\2x1gbhz1600
    ext-58\920\3x2gb998691
    Expert\170\2x1gbhz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Not trying to be disrespectful BroE, but I've seen an awful lot of Phenom boards die from running Prime for hours on end and it is usually the power sections of the boards that pop (IE: burnt Fets).

Prime95 is what killed my MSI DKA790GX, well that and a high CPUVid. The Asus 79-T has a very robust power section (8+2) and may be able to handle it but I for one won't be doing any 8hr prime runs.

This is exactly why I do not run prime any more for more than 10-15min. The hardware we use is not made to take this kind of beating and there is no reason for it anyway. If it is really unstable, you will know as soon as you do something demanding anyway.
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hstuehmeyer2000 View Post
    This is exactly why I do not run prime any more for more than 10-15min. The hardware we use is not made to take this kind of beating and there is no reason for it anyway. If it is really unstable, you will know as soon as you do something demanding anyway.
    ehhhh 10-15 min is not that long i run it a minimum of 30 min and that has caught every error i have ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonspd View Post
    Never killed anything running prime, cpu-burn, toast, etc...

I guess if you aren't beyond your stable point of running a system and you run prime you might not have problems, but if your are like most of you and just have it overclocked without knowing its stable then yea I guess prime could kill a few things...

I use my pc's to run Folding@home 24\7 so having a system that isn't stable is out of the question but I guess if all you do is web-surf it would be ok to have a unstable overclock.

2 hrs prime wouldn't even qualify for being stable IMHO
    prime can kill your hardware even if it is stable. the mosfets can blow and even if the system is stable it won't take 100% load at all times so the mosfets won't take a beating. prime is a nice program but after awhile it just goes too far. lol i wish particle would work on his benching program some more. i bet that thing stresses your system more than prime can. hell once you start it the system locks up until it is done its that powerful.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    ehhhh 10-15 min is not that long i run it a minimum of 30 min and that has caught every error i have ever had.

prime can kill your hardware even if it is stable. the mosfets can blow and even if the system is stable it won't take 100% load at all times so the mosfets won't take a beating. prime is a nice program but after awhile it just goes too far. lol i wish particle would work on his benching program some more. i bet that thing stresses your system more than prime can. hell once you start it the system locks up until it is done its that powerful.
    except for the ones after the 30 min period.

I understand about the mosfet but we didn't see these problems until msi created a few crap boards IMO. I have one of them and this system has been primed a lot on 4 different phenom cpu's

I still as stated will live by it I have no choice. If it can't prime 12 hours, loop 3dmark, and game while being loaded on 3 out of the 4 cores then it's not stable for me. But I can't use an EUE on my wu's
    My Heat
    gd-70\955\2x1gbhz1600
    ext-58\920\3x2gb998691
    Expert\170\2x1gbhz

Xtreme Addict
    yea i just don't want to do it because theres a possibility something can get destroyed and thats a long time. most things shouldn't take 100% stress so if it doesn't crap out on you in 2 hours then you should be fine for normal use.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...
    For the stability list, 2 hours is final. As for dealing with different types of cooling, I meant that to be something that's posted even if I managed to forget to post it. Of course people with water should get better clocks than air, and phase better than water. That's just how the world works. The point is that hopefully people who have the same steppings will get similar results, with a few golden chips.

I also said in my last post that I would do separate lists for stability and suicide shots.

Now please stop fighting We have how many posts and not a single overclock posted yet? The only thing it does is making sure the thread is bumped enough for people to see it.
    Not much to say right now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NM

I have no cpu-z validation link?

still want me results?

sry for the post
    Last edited by jonspd; 01-04-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    My Heat
    gd-70\955\2x1gbhz1600
    ext-58\920\3x2gb998691
    Expert\170\2x1gbhz

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy932 View Post
    I'm fine as long as we can agree on something. I originally posted the 8 hours prime because that's what it was like last year and the year before(meaning 07 and 06). I've never managed to run the intel burn test on my 9600, but it doesn't crash even when I have it run wcg for days on end. I'm also fine with OCCT, last time I ran that program was when it was only for single cores.
    Thats wierd that you had trouble with Linpack Oldguy932. I never tried it with my 9600 (Maybe somethng to do with TLB, but I doubt it). It has worked fine on both my 9850 and 9950. In fact it has caught errors on a 5 pass run that showed stable on a 1 hr P95 run! There is a new version on that link BTW.

Maybe the best solution would be to just have a stability SS column, let people use the stress program of their own choice, and let people decide for themselves whether they consider that stable enough or not.

Whatever you decide looks like you may have to start a new thread for actuall results... Sorry if I contributed to the clutter...
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I guess cpu-z validation shouldn't be completely necessary, I only ever did it when I was doing stuff on hwbot. It also shouldn't be too hard to get, all you need is the click of a button to save a file, then upload it to their server to get it validated.

This thread does seem to pose as much more of a discussion on how to go about keeping the list, so at least it does have some use at the moment. It wouldn't be too hard to use this thread for everything since I'll be linking to people's posts and not posting all the information given in the table. Not everyone has their screen resolution at 1680x1050 or higher to read like 20 different columns without scrolling.

Edit: Just thought about something. Would you guys mind if I required like an Everest Screenshot with the cache speeds and everything for the suicide shots? Or do you think a screenshot would be sufficient? I was just thinking about that because we don't need anyone coming in and being like "There's no ****ing way you got that...".
    Last edited by Oldguy932; 01-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy932 View Post
    I guess cpu-z validation shouldn't be completely necessary, I only ever did it when I was doing stuff on hwbot. It also shouldn't be too hard to get, all you need is the click of a button to save a file, then upload it to their server to get it validated.

This thread does seem to pose as much more of a discussion on how to go about keeping the list, so at least it does have some use at the moment. It wouldn't be too hard to use this thread for everything since I'll be linking to people's posts and not posting all the information given in the table. Not everyone has their screen resolution at 1680x1050 or higher to read like 20 different columns without scrolling.

Edit: Just thought about something. Would you guys mind if I required like an Everest Screenshot with the cache speeds and everything for the suicide shots? Or do you think a screenshot would be sufficient? I was just thinking about that because we don't need anyone coming in and being like "There's no ****ing way you got that...".
    thats cool, everest, sandra, superpi, whatever, the more info in the screenie the more we learn from eachother.
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585

Xtreme Addict
    how is the table going to be updated? you manually putting them into a spreadsheet or is there a way people can submit their own results? cause manually might work at first but as we all know from what has happened before it doesn't take long for it to stop getting updated because its just so much work, plus you can miss people's submissions.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd be doing them manually. Hopefully if I do manage to miss someone's post someone else would be able to catch my error. I don't see how much work it could really be if I have plenty of time on my hands. Tuesdays are completely open for me and Thursdays I have an afternoon lab that if it goes like last semester won't take up much time at all. Mondays and Wednesdays are my busiest days with 3 classes, but I still have a few hours here and there that I won't be spending on homework.

If its possible, I'd like to find a way to do it through Microsoft Access. I took a class on it last year, but it only dealt with how to manage stuff and nothing with how to put a report online because that would probably be the best way. Even working with excel would be fine with me.

Quick slightly off topic question. Does using the code tag mean that I can use html tags? If I can do that then making a table would be a piece of cake.

Edit: Also if I start to miss that many posts I could ask people to pm me when they post their overclock to the thread. That way I would be sure to get all of them.
    Last edited by Oldguy932; 01-04-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    yea it just seems like it would be a burden on you to keep up with it for so long. phenom II is gonna last two years . wasn't the last one self updating? idk but whenever we are ready make a new thread with the instructions we have all agreed on. and it would be nice if it was a sticky so people can get easy access to it and it is not forgotten.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea why not a thread that is one of those

"only post your PII overclocks in this thread you can discuss it here with a link to a discussion thread"

another word a no discussion thread results only..

I will be more then happy to post my overclock on my PII when we get this straightened out
    My Heat
    gd-70\955\2x1gbhz1600
    ext-58\920\3x2gb998691
    Expert\170\2x1gbhz

Xtreme Addict
    doesn't really matter if people discuss it in the thread since all the clocks will be on the chart on the first post anyway.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post

Dave .......could be that first generation hardware was inadequate Don't know. But I do know that most of the board related issues are from people pushing the HT.................(Thats a Fact).....did you do that? I know myself I have been very mindful of not doing that in any given case because of what I was witnessing happening to others boards..so I avoided it and have primed my machine for 9-11 hrs on numerous occasions same board since day one without issue

C'mon Dave I aint calling anyone out as a noob but this new standard of stability testing is not what I would call stable in which to judge
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    Dave .......could be that first generation hardware was inadequate Don't know. But I do know that most of the board related issues are from people pushing the HT.................(Thats a Fact).....did you do that? I know myself I have been very mindful of not doing that in any given case because of what I was witnessing happening to others boards..so I avoided it and have primed my machine for 9-11 hrs on numerous occasions same board since day one without issue

C'mon Dave I aint calling anyone out as a noob but this new standard of stability testing is not what I would call stable in which to judge
    9-11 hours?...Easy for someone who runs their cpu at stock for "bios testing" lol.......put a little juice into it..........anyone could run prime at stock settings so whats the deal with that?
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast