Thread: ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 and 3 monitors?

Xtreme Enthusiast

ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 and 3 monitors?

Hmm, can you set up 3 30^ inch monitors at resolution 2560 x 1600 using this flat screen? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=223-4890

I'm thinking that you use the normal DVI ports for the two side screens and one HDMI port for the middle screen?

Hmm, also has anyone seen any graphic cards with the new "DisplayPort" ?
    Last edited by IronWarrior; 01-04-2009 at 04:56 AM.

I am Xtreme
    to run three of those at that res......

how many DVI ports does ur 4870X2 have?

do u game?

what OS u use?
    Last edited by tiro_uspsss; 01-04-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    to run three of those at that res......

how many DVI ports does ur 4870X2 have?

do u game?

what OS u use?
    Each 4870X2 has two DVI and one HDMI port, but for 2560 x 1600 resolution, you have to connect both DVI's to a monitor which this Dell supports.

Yes I game, am thinking of a three-head setup for wide screen gaming.

OS, can be anything really, going for Vista, but might use Windows Server 07 as well, can be anything.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
    Each 4870X2 has two DVI and one HDMI port, but for 2560 x 1600 resolution, you have to connect both DVI's to a monitor which this Dell supports.

Yes I game, am thinking of a three-head setup for wide screen gaming.

OS, can be anything really, going for Vista, but might use Windows Server 07 as well, can be anything.
    oh ok, so u have 2x 4870X2, correct?

didnt realise u gotta connect 2x DVI.. I thought it would have just been one DVI-D

afaik, u cant game on 3 monitors without using a Matrox TripleHead2Go.. tho it is late over here & my mem is not doing too well right now!

if that is the case, u'll be horribly restricted in the res u can run on each monitor plus, iirc, TH2G doesnt play as nice with ATi cards, tho that may have changed now..

edit: just checked Matrox website, max is 3x 1680x1050
    Last edited by tiro_uspsss; 01-04-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    oh ok, so u have 2x 4870X2, correct?

didnt realise u gotta connect 2x DVI.. I thought it would have just been one DVI-D

afaik, u cant game on 3 monitors without using a Matrox TripleHead2Go.. tho it is late over here & my mem is not doing too well right now!

if that is the case, u'll be horribly restricted in the res u can run on each monitor plus, iirc, TH2G doesnt play as nice with ATi cards, tho that may have changed now..

edit: just checked Matrox website, max is 3x 1680x1050
    Ah roger that, some youtube videos that I have seen have this Matrox thingy all over them, I will look it up and see.

Thank you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
    Ah roger that, some youtube videos that I have seen have this Matrox thingy all over them, I will look it up and see.

Thank you.
    I had a bit more of a poke around on matrox website, it would appear they still dont like ATi - max ATi capable is 3x 1280x1024

if NV, its 3x 1680x1050

maybe someone else with more knowledge can give u better news

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yep, it looks like it, this looks harder then I thought it be and am betting there be tons of problems with games.

I think I stick with my duals and play on one monitor.

Xtreme Member
    Unless I'm mistaken, you should only need a single DVI-D connection per monitor.

SoftTH might do what you want. You might need a third card (low-end is fine) to get the extra display, since I'm not certain that the current 4870x2s can do more than 2 monitors while in crossfire.
    3800 X2 @ 2.7GHz
    DFI nf4 SLI-D
    2x1gb GSkill ZX
    TT Sonic Tower
    Visiontek 4850
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair 750TX

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, you should only need a single DVI-D connection per monitor.

SoftTH might do what you want. You might need a third card (low-end is fine) to get the extra display, since I'm not certain that the current 4870x2s can do more than 2 monitors while in crossfire.
    I pretty much know my hardware for my parts. For the highest resolution that the card can support, it requires two dvi into a monitor: http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_rad...870x2.aspx?p=1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well still looking into the triplehead2go boxs, would any monitor be ok?

You don't need 2 dvi into a monitor. You need ports that are dual link dvi, which is not the same. The HDMI connector is physically connected to one of the DVI ports so you can't run 3 monitors from one card though. (HDMI really is just DVI+audio) You have 2 options: The first is get another card and use SoftTH as someone said before, the second is the triplehead2go. Now with the triplehead2go you will be limited to low resolutions whereas SoftTH can use higher resolutions, but it might not work with all games and it might be slower, I also wonder if crossfire works with it. I have a 8800gt and 7950gt in my computer and use 3 1600x1200 monitors with SoftTH in games where it works which is very nice.

A bit off topic: if you really want more immersion stereoscopy gives much more than multimonitor, especially on a projector. Nothing beats seeing the gameworld lifesize and in "real" 3D

c[_]
    TH2G maxes out at 3x 1440x900 for ATi unless you set up a custom resolution.

SoftTH is very slow currently... even at 1680x1050 (though if you can run all 3 displays on one card might not be an issue).

SoftTH also disables Crossfire and SLI.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah damn it, I always thought dual link meant two DVI, two from the card to the monitor.

Do you really need this software or this triplehead3go device?

Am using a nvidia card right now in dual screens, one vga to one monitor and one dvi to the other, could that just work as well with three monitors using the ati driver software?
    Last edited by IronWarrior; 01-04-2009 at 03:23 PM.

c[_]
    If you want to game on multiple monitors, yes you do require TH2G or the software.

What ati driver software?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    If you want to game on multiple monitors, yes you do require TH2G or the software.

What ati driver software?
    I've never used ATI cards before but am sure it comes with software to edit and setup display modes like Nvidia.