Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quad Core Round Up: AMD Vs Intel Clock to Clock(deneb vs agena + deneb vs intel)

Banned
    Funny thread. Most of us only care about games. I don't play cinebench, 3D Mark, or any of those other "bench" tools. If you game in the area of 1680X1050 with AA/AF applied then you'd be hard pressed to tell a big difference between AMD/Intel newest Quads. So for gamers all this non sense really don't matter because they are all damn near even when it comes to REAL WORLD gaming. So as a gamer I will buy the cheapest that allows me to game efficiently. With that said, hell I may instead get a 9850 or 9950 once Deneb come out. They should be dirt cheap then. The 9850's are already selling for 147USD and should drop to less than 125USD once Deneb hits shelves...
    Last edited by Throwed; 01-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwed View Post
    Funny thread. Most of us only care about games. I don't play cinebench, 3D Mark, or any of those other "bench" tools. If you game in the area of 1680X1050 with AA/AF applied then you'd be hard pressed to tell a big difference between AMD/Intel newest Quads. So for gamers all this non sense really don't matter because they are all damn near even when it comes to REAL WORLD gaming. So as a gamer I will buy the cheapest that allows me to game efficiently. With that said, hell I may instead get a 9850 or 9950 once Deneb come out. They should be dirt cheap then. The 9850's are already selling for 147USD and should drop to less than 125USD once Deneb hits shelves...
    games matter the most to me since i don't render, need file compression, try to calculate world records of prime numbers, want to see how fast i can calculate fpu mandel, graphics design, don't do video conversion on a large scale. ill use the benchies when im tweaking to see the difference but how the results compare to other cpus is meaningless to me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leoy View Post
    @ zucker2k
    All i see is that i am right again.
    [IMG]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8827/cinebench37vl3.png[/I]
    Score of yorkfield @3.7 @ hwbox : 14602 (with 411 fsb )
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=12

Wanna put the nb little higher too???
    Unless yorkfield also wins 2000 points when going 64bit
    not again with cinebench(dont forget that i run 32bit which is way slower than 64bit).Why most of amd guys are you stuck at this?
    I am amd fanboy too,but not this way...
    Clock to clock the best that deneb can do at cinebench @ 64bit is to be equal or JUST over yorkfield.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=137

plz dont make me to assemble again the s775+am2 platform for one freaking cinebench.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    games matter the most to me since i don't render, need file compression, try to calculate world records of prime numbers, want to see how fast i can calculate fpu mandel, graphics design, don't do video conversion on a large scale. ill use the benchies when im tweaking to see the difference but how the results compare to other cpus is meaningless to me.
    I'm the same. I usually run apps like WinRAR in the background and make DVD's and such in the background too while gaming. So I could careless how fast or slow it converts as long as it converts and don't bog my system down to the point that it makes my gaming screwy. With damn near every Quad core, you can multitask and game at the sametime. So, as long as I can game with acceptable frames rates(above 60+ in fast paced and 30+ in slow paced), I am OK. I seriously think I am going to go all out on a GPU and get a cheap Phenom 9850/9950.

People that have a HD4000 series/GTX2XX or better paired with a decent clocked Quad core should be fine no matter what. IMO, gamers that already own a quad Core are doing nothing but wasting their time upgrading to Core i7 or Phenom II. Core i7&Phenom II is an efficient upgrade for people still running dual core. Others that upgrade are only doing it for either the love of the hobby or because they have too much money/time to waste.

I think it's hilarious when people say "Hey, look how fast my CPU is!!!!!!"..............at a resolution of 1280X1024 or less. Pffft.....Who really cares about those LOW resolutions. ....or the ones that say...."Hey look at my benchmark numbers".......as if they can play Super Pi, Cine Bench, Prime, SANDRA, 3DMark, Aqua Mark and etc. If I can game with a 150 dollar Quad Core and still get basically the same frames per sec as someone with a CPU that cost 2, 3, or 4 times the cost then I am going to save money. It's cool to be PRO AMD or PRO Intel.......just don't be PRO Stupid.
    Last edited by Throwed; 01-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think a lot of people who were waiting to upgrade to i7 will probably end up with Phenom 2 systems. Great performance, better prices, awesome overclockability... An unlocked extreme chip for less than $350, how can you not want to go amd!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rk7p5 View Post
    I think a lot of people who were waiting to upgrade to i7 will probably end up with Phenom 2 systems. Great performance, better prices, awesome overclockability... An unlocked extreme chip for less than $350, how can you not want to go amd!
    PhII in my view is competing more against the E8400, E8500 & Q9550 than the i7, so what Intel does on pricing in the next month or two, will have a massive impact on how well the PhII fares in sales.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    PhII in my view is competing more against the E8400, E8500 & Q9550 than the i7, so what Intel does on pricing in the next month or two, will have a massive impact on how well the PhII fares in sales.
    If Intel lowers prices so will amd, actually i'm hoping that happens asap

It just blows my mind that people seem to be upset or even angry that we have such great competition and choices atm.
    Last edited by rk7p5; 01-04-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: why?

Xtreme Mentor
    If Intel lowers prices so will amd, actually i'm hoping that happens asap

It just blows my mind that people seem to be upset or even angry that we have such great competition and choices atm.
    Here Here!!!

In the right hands PhII is going to gonna give most of the Yorkie/Kents a run for their money, and I7's don't seem to be all that impressive gaming anyway...

Seems like a Win/Win for consumers... Thanks AMD.
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Banned
    Who do you think is angry or upset over great competition or choices?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    Who do you think is angry or upset over great competition or choices?
    hes just saying that all the intel fanboys are mad that deneb doesn't completely suck. when it works to their advantage that deneb comes out and is highly competitive.

Banned
    hes just saying that all the intel fanboys are mad that deneb doesn't completely suck. when it works to their advantage that deneb comes out and is highly competitive.
    Yeah I don't understand some people here. Deneb will be good for all.....

1. It will make Core i7/C2Q cheaper due to competition.(For Pro Intel guys)
    2. It will make current Phenoms cheaper and the refresh of PII is exciting.(For Pro AMD guys)

...what's to complain about really. I think ALL folks should wait until Deneb is released if they want to save money when they upgrade.

Xtreme Addict
    2. It will make current Phenoms cheaper and the refresh of PII is exciting.(For Pro AMD guys)
    hell i can't wait to get rid of this 9600. not even a black edition. i can't wait for it.

Banned
    hell i can't wait to get rid of this 9600. not even a black edition. i can't wait for it.
    Yeah, the 9600's aren't that great. The B.E 9950's/9850's aren't that far behind Phenom II 920 performance so that's a cheap viable upgrade. Looking at the review in the thread shows the Agena is no punk. For me I don't really need the newest nor the fastest. Just wanna play my games for the least possible cost.

Xtreme Addict
    yea hopefully i should have my 940 in a few days.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry but the people who are pro amd are usually those that are the thread destroyers, they defend amd's honor like it was theirs own. Who cares its just a piece of silicone that is overpriced anyway. Sorry again but my vote is for the q6600 and its a cheap quad that is perfectly suited for games when we take price and performance in consideration. Here in sweden it is only 20€ more expensive than the lowest clocked phenom1. Like somebody said if ya have a quad at a reasonable speed then stick with it.

One more thing OverClocker_gr you have done a hell of a review, even from the begging when it only had 3 games included. Now it even got better! beats out a lot of sites that I usually go to for reviews. Such an effort, Thanx man!
    E6600"L630A446"? @3600@1.?v cooled by Tunic Tower sitting on Abit AB9 Quad GT played on ASUS 8800GTX opperated by a lazy slacker!

Rather than putting 3gb in triple channel on the Core i7, you should have used Dual Channel the same as the Core2's and the same memory amount, at the same speeds - i'd imagine that'd have an effect on the results.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leoy View Post
    @ zucker2k
    All i see is that i am right again.

Score of yorkfield @3.7 @ hwbox : 14602 (with 411 fsb )
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=12

Wanna put the nb little higher too???
    Unless yorkfield also wins 2000 points when going 64bit
    No, you're wrong again. Hopefully you and a few others in this thread are learning something new everyday....

That's almost 1Ghz advantage to PHII with virtually the same score. Don't bring PHII to a cinebench party.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cine64.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	92234  

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverClocker_gr View Post
    not again with cinebench(dont forget that i run 32bit which is way slower than 64bit).Why most of amd guys are you stuck at this?
    I am amd fanboy too,but not this way...
    Clock to clock the best that deneb can do at cinebench @ 64bit is to be equal or JUST over yorkfield.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=137

plz dont make me to assemble again the s775+am2 platform for one freaking cinebench.
    NO man. U don't have too. Just anwsering too someones wrong belief and i used the yorkfiled cinenench score from the review.
    Cpu:Phenom ΙΙ 965 c3 @ 4.1Ghz/2.8nb (air cooled)
    Mobo: Asus M3a79-T Deluxe
    Ram:A-data 2x2 800+ @ 1000
    Gpu:Asus Hd4850 512mb @ 700/1050(sycthe Musashi)
    Hdd:500gb Seagate 7200.11
    Psu:Corsair Hx620
    Cooling: TRue(dual fan)
    Case: Coolermaster Haf 932...

Xtreme Member
    No, you're wrong again. Hopefully you and a few others in this thread are learning something new everyday....

That's almost 1Ghz advantage to PHII with virtually the same score. Don't bring PHII to a cinebench party.
    You are ruining this thread with both your ignorance and your fanboyism. Please stop. And grow up for Christs sake!...

Who cares its just a piece of silicone that is overpriced anyway. Sorry again but my vote is for the q6600 and its a cheap quad that is perfectly suited for games when we take price and performance in consideration. Here in sweden it is only 20€ more expensive than the lowest clocked phenom1. Like somebody said if ya have a quad at a reasonable speed then stick with it.
    I have to agree with that. Here is Greece Q6600 has the same price as 9950BE, and certainly makes a very attractive candidate for both a mainstream 4 core system and a gaming rig. And all that, 2 years after its launch. EPIC CPU indeed...

Deneb is also a very good alternative from what we 've seen till now. Its looks like there is a 6-8% improvement over agena clock for clock, it is cooler, consumes less energy and clocks like a wolfdale. Its performance in real life applications is definitely comparable to its intel counterparts (in the same price segment of course), it is an upgrade option for AM2+ boards, and makes AMD certainly more competitive in the market.

And did a mention a price war starting after almost 2 years?....happy times ahead for all...

Xtreme Member
    Then why are you(and others) here "spamming" the forums?
    This is XtremeSystems, the "premiere" site for us benchers, record-seekers.
    Not "lamegamer.org" or similar.
    If any of you really were into gaming you would not be here defending certain CPU makers calling other poster names/trolls/boasting about knowledge about "ignore-button".

Do some gameing instead.
    Or better yet, accept other peoples views and right to an opinion.
    Even those you dislike.

PS/Edit:
    When you really wants performance in games you buy the best(price vs.performance) GPU for your favorite game.
    There are as other points out little that differ between AMD/Intel CPU's when using eyecandy/hig res.
    (Well.. unless you use a Celeron D).
    Last edited by TL1000S; 01-05-2009 at 07:45 AM.

3DMarknn - 79506/96025/33499/25592

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TL1000S View Post
    If any of you really were into gaming you would not be here defending certain CPU makers calling other poster names/trolls/boasting about knowledge about "ignore-button".

Do some gameing instead.
    Even those you dislike.

PS/Edit:
    When you really wants performance in games you buy the best(price vs.performance) GPU for your favorite game.
    There are as other points out little that differ between AMD/Intel CPU's when using eyecandy/hig res.
    With the money saved building a deneb rig, i'll be able to get a much better vga and monitor. Not to mention the awesome overclocks and the chance to upgrade when amd releases their 6 and 8 core cpu's later this year.

Banned
    Care to elaborate? My old overclocked Q6600 system was no faster at gaming than my friends 9850BE when gaming at our native of 1680X1050 AA/AF. Looking at the review in this very thread proves that there is no difference between frames per sec at 1680X1050.....even when AA/AF aren't applied sometimes. Now if you know something I don't then please let me know.

BTW, nice try at flame baiting. Don't throw rocks then hide your hands.

Not to mention the awesome overclocks and the chance to upgrade when amd releases their 6 and 8 core cpu's later this year.
    Good point. I think that is when I am going to splurge. For now a drop in upgrade is all I need with the current setup I have. There should be a better selection of motherboards later on too.
    Last edited by Throwed; 01-05-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Care to elaborate? My old overclocked Q6600 system was no faster at gaming than my friends 9850BE when gaming at our native of 1680X1050 AA/AF. Looking at the review in this very thread proves that there is no difference between frames per sec at 1680X1050.....even when AA/AF aren't applied sometimes. Now if you know something I don't then please let me know.

BTW, nice try at flame baiting.
    You are a crown example of a fanboi.
    What did I write, and what did you answer?
    Hint:
    The same piece of fact.
    There are few reasons to choose an Intel CPU based rig over an AMD ditto as long as you are using 1680x1050+AA/AF in your favorite game.
    The *TOPIC* we are discussing, the test done by Overclocker_gr confirm this.
    It is more important to choose the correct brand/setup of GPU depending of the game.
    Can you or other blind fanbois get on in your life now?
    What a crap post you managed to write!

3DMarknn - 79506/96025/33499/25592

Xtreme Member
    Just for s&gs I downclocked to 3.7 and ran the cinebench on the ole q6600 and still got the result below. It should be noted when cinebench is run only using the multicore test (as shown in the phenom II screenshot above) this decreased my score by about 500 points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cinebenchr10vista14861wcpuz.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	92249  

Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage Conversion Bios 0403)
    Q6600 G0 stepping@4.05 Ghz
    8GB G. Skill 1066 @ 1081 Mhz
    EVGA 280 GTX
    Auzentech Prelude
    2X 74 GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    2X 1 TB WD Caviar Blacks in Raid 0 Vista Ultimate x64
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    DTek Fuzion V2 in a custom CPU only water loop
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    Hanns-G 28" widescreen
    Klipsh Pro-Media 2.1
    G15 Keyboard and G9 Laser Mouse

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillo-kun View Post
    Sorry but the people who are pro amd are usually those that are the thread destroyers
    thats obviously not the case in this one.

Do some gameing instead.
    Even those you dislike.

PS/Edit:
    wait you are telling me to accept others opinions in the same exact post that they are telling me to not care about gaming benchmarks? i am accepting others opinions i just think that some people like zucker here don't have an opinion and instead are just posting to bash someone about something. and yes as far as performance goes gaming performance matters the most to me. but does that mean i don't care about anything else and only want gaming benchmarks? ummmm no. i just find it crazy that people can look at benchmarks and think that the performance shown by them will show real world performance and show exactly how the cpu is. benchmarks are useful for comparing the same cpu with others. as we have seen here clock to clock agena is better sometimes. why? because the benchmark favors its core. i find many benchmarks to be completely useless but its nice to use benchmarks when you are tweaking your system to see how it changes its results.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast