Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge, marriage, and such :P

Xtreme Addict

Knowledge, marriage, and such :P

well, since we have a lot experience(movieman, etc) members here, I was wondering if they could shed some light on these situations for us

such as marriage, I'm a bit to young for this 17 at the moment, but just wanting to learn :P

lets see if we can get some life lessons, because personally I never want to go through a divorce :/
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

E6600- Asus striker Extreme-2 x 750gb- Igloo 5710- 8800gt- antec 850w Quatro- 4gb DDR2 800- Antec 1200- 24/7 cruncher

**Wishes for a dual- quad core cruncher **

Xtreme Member
    Best experience is living together (long term) with a woman/girl... But it costs a lot...

Intel DP55KG-Core i5-750-Kingston Hyperx DDR3 1800MHz-EVGA 9800GX2SC-High Power HPC 1000 G14C 1000W-HP W2448HC HDMI
    Intel DP55KG-Core i5-750-Kingston Hyperx DDR3 1800MHz-Sparkle 8800GTX-SilverStone ST1000NV 1000W-Samsung T260HD

Xtreme CCIE
    I don't have a marriage that has lasted as long as some people's here, but it's 3 years come Wednesday (5-6 years now if you include dating) and I wouldn't think of trading it for the world.

I think I'll probably repeat a lot of what I've been told and that I have seen work: make time for eachother. Not necessarily every day, but regularly and not infrequently. Talk to eachother as well. It doesn't have to be deep heart-to-heart conversations, but make sure to keep lines of communication open.

Be content. If you want the sparkle of early romance every day, you won't find it. You will get to know your partner very well over the years so the chances of you discovering something completely new or having a deep emotional discussion every time you talk will go down noticeably. Don't expect new dynamics every day, but learn to appreciate the ones you have. That's another good one - appreciation. Try to appreciate your spouse every day - I think this is what really makes love deepen.

And, of course, starting out on the right foot helps. Don't rush marriage, I'm sure that's the biggest mistake a person could make. In my own case we did get married after something like 2 years and some change, but we didn't date per-se - we "courted" (it's like dating but without anything remotely physical for a looooong time... like over a year before we started even kissing) which focuses so much more on getting to know the person and makes you learn to look beyond the package. Although I would advocate it to others, I wouldn't expect it from people.... just... yeah, don't rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanG View Post
    Best experience is living together (long term) with a woman/girl... But it costs a lot...
    I disagree. If nothing else, what is the point of marrying someone if you're going to live with them long-term anyway? Because it's "a commitment"? Assuming you've taken any religious aspect out (which you probably have if you're already living together), all marriage is is a statement that you would like to continue living together... and you could have just as easily done that without getting married. This is the fastest way to strip marriage of being something special IMO, and I think a lot of the experts agree.

Edit: Oh, and if you are ever looking at getting married - take an introduction to marriage course with your spouse. They exist in plenty. I had to take one with my wife (really, I had to - the priest wouldn't marry us otherwise) and although I wasn't too keen on it initially, after taking it and looking back on it over the last few years - it was a great experience. Well worth the $20 or so and weekend I gave up for it. Lessons like: don't start insulting eachother - if you disagree, you can each argue your side, but never insult one another. If you're religious, I'm sure your faith community has a few of these that you could sign up with, and otherwise they do exist for the non-religious as well.
    Last edited by Serra; 01-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Mentor
    spending time together is the bottom line when you want to find the right person. simple as that in my opinion
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Compromise is the key to success. As long as you are willing to never be right again, your marriage will be fine. (Married for 9 years so far.)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    snip
    That is the kind of advice I was looking for
    thank you very much and from nano and gillbot

Well the reason I ask this, is I was dating a girl for 1yr 7months, and then all of a sudden BAM, its over..its like..wow..when you actually thought about spending your life with that person, so yah :/
    good life lesson

Sometimes I let people get to close to fast, but most of all its hard to gain my trust, only a few people on that list.. lol

but thank you very much Serra
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

E6600- Asus striker Extreme-2 x 750gb- Igloo 5710- 8800gt- antec 850w Quatro- 4gb DDR2 800- Antec 1200- 24/7 cruncher

Xtreme Member
    Been with my girl for 5 1/2 years just about....Since I was 16 and she was 17......

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard_thor View Post
    well, since we have a lot experience(movieman, etc) members here, I was wondering if they could shed some light on these situations for us

such as marriage, I'm a bit to young for this 17 at the moment, but just wanting to learn :P

lets see if we can get some life lessons, because personally I never want to go through a divorce :/
    Well according to my grandparents (been together for like 50 years?) They both tell me and all my other cousins (about 500 of the bastards) "There is no perfect man or woman out there for you. Nobody is perfect. What you need to find is someone who is perfect for you. You and the other person have too many faults to count." Also "Arguing....you may not want to do it. But you NEED to do it from time to time."

-yonton228/timmy
    "Man, I wish my country wasnt run by liberal mangina's that piss their pants at the sight of guns..."-turtletrax

Xtreme Member
    Sex and money are the 2 biggest causes of divorce, therefore marry a rich nymphomaniac.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by yonton228 View Post
    Been with my girl for 5 1/2 years just about....Since I was 16 and she was 17......

Well according to my grandparents (been together for like 50 years?) They both tell me and all my other cousins (about 500 of the bastards) "There is no perfect man or woman out there for you. Nobody is perfect. What you need to find is someone who is perfect for you. You and the other person have too many faults to count." Also "Arguing....you may not want to do it. But you NEED to do it from time to time."

-yonton228/timmy
    So is timmy your first or last name, or is it the other way around?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I doubt I ever get married I went through my parents divorce and saw how messed up it all is. My parents are very wealthy people and all that matter was money which is sad but its life. My dad works his butt off and my mom gets tons of it for being a so called mother. So me getting married is welllll lets say there is a more of a chance of me getting hit by a reindeer. The "female" will have to be pretty dam amazing for me to buy a ring for her and call her Mrs.

Plus being single is so much dam fun. Specially after I leave for the Navy. EUROPE HERE I COME.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    I doubt I ever get married I went through my parents divorce and saw how messed up it all is. My parents are very wealthy people and all that matter was money which is sad but its life. My dad works his butt off and my mom gets tons of it for being a so called mother. So me getting married is welllll lets say there is a more of a chance of me getting hit by a reindeer. The "female" will have to be pretty dam amazing for me to buy a ring for her and call her Mrs.

Plus being single is so much dam fun. Specially after I leave for the Navy. EUROPE HERE I COME.
    You are in the Navy. You don't want to get married to a woman. It all makes sense, you are gay.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Easybeat View Post
    Sex and money are the 2 biggest causes of divorce, therefore marry a rich nymphomaniac.
    NO, you don't want a nympho. You have much to learn about women...

Nympho's aren't addicted to sex, really. Nymphomania is no longer even considered a "condition" as it used to be, and now we call people with such a condition "hypersexual", most needing more sex because they never get the "satisfaction" they are craving, which can either be precipitated by, or be followed by, various physical and neurological conditions.

That said, avoid them at all costs, if you can. For fun, ok, but not long-term...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx] Nooc View Post
    You are in the Navy. You don't want to get married to a woman. It all makes sense, you are gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Started life as a FTW and ended up as a WTF.

Life's Replay
    I'm personally in the middle of a breakup and it's hitting me hard. I wasn't together with her for very long, three months or so, but it was serious when it lasted.

It really depends on your personality and on her personality but one thing that one should always keep in mind is to take it slow at first. No matter how in love you are, you need to give it time or there is a big chance that it will go to hell. You need to get used to your partner and them used to you. In my case, she was still getting over her previous boyfriend with whom she was together for 2.5 years. I am just like you Asgard with getting people too close to me too fast, it's part of my personality and something that I am aware of, but it's something which makes the whole "taking it slow" thing so difficult.

Sometimes there isn't anything you can do and whilst "It's not you, it's me" is usually, what seems like, a poor excuse, it is sometimes true.

Yonton228's grandparents are right. My girlfriend seemed perfect on the paper, all of my "requirements" were met and hers too, but in the end there was apparently something missing. Life isn't so simple and you can't always select what you want. I'm sad as hell right now but I expect it to go away with time. I was also already thinking about the future, way too far into it. Sometimes you have to take time in shorter steps.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

I am Xtreme
    Marriage is really pointless unless there is a good reason for it - children, financial partnership, taxes, etc. If you have a bad relationship, a marriage won't save it. If you have an OK gig but it could be better, being married might give you the incentive you need to work through whatever issues there might be. And if after 5 or 10 years you're still in love with the same person, then flip a coin - since it doesn't matter then either - you're hooked and so is she.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Non-religious civil unions <are> really pointless unless there is a good reason for it - children, financial partnership, taxes, etc. If you have a bad relationship, a marriage won't save it. If you have an OK gig but it could be better, being married might give you the incentive you need to work through whatever issues there might be. And if after 5 or 10 years you're still in love with the same person, then flip a coin - since it doesn't matter then either - you're hooked and so is she.
    Fixed

Not trying to bring religion into wamps, but marriage is more than just a promise to cohabitate peaceably in religious circles.

(Though I do agree that if you have a bad relationship you shouldn't get married).

I like the avatar Twilyth.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    nice to know I have some people I can relate to.

Well, Incore, as fact of being sad, I know exactly what you mean, but just alittle before she broke up with me, I got a dog, so I was able to put my focus on him and such. Also when I had a girlfriend i realized I didn't spend time with the friends that mean so much for me, but they were there welcoming me with opens arms. Next time will be different
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

Xtreme Addict
    Fixed

Not trying to bring religion into wamps, but marriage is more than just a promise to cohabitate peaceably in religious circles.

(Though I do agree that if you have a bad relationship you shouldn't get married).

I like the avatar Twilyth.
    I agree with that,

I don't think religion would affect my discuss on a wife, but I would not change religions just for her.

Reminds me, when I used to walk my dog with our neighbor(which is a Jehovah's witness), and seriously like we were spending all this time together, and acted like she liked me, so after a month, I told her I liked her, and she is like your a not a Jehovah's witness, I can't date you- I'm like , so thats where i'm at, that was 3months ago :/

Just got home from a wedding, my cousin got married :P, maybe ill share pics
    Last edited by Asgard_thor; 01-04-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Don't get married, it's not worth it at all. Too many headaches, the longer you're married the less you'll get to see puntang and the less sex.

I wish I could mention ALL the CONS of marriage but that will take at least 3 pages and the PROS are?.........almost none except for her having your kid(s) and spreading 'em once in a while.

I've been married for 9 years and two dating, so that's 11 years total and I'm happy but sometimes schit can go wrong very easily.....

After all, 60% of marriages end up in divorce.........

And frankly most of us, if not any of us, would buy a product that has a failure rate of such magnitude...........

Stay with a woman for a long as you both can and if she pushes into marriage? Then it's not worth it, because she wants you to do something you don't want and that right there and then it's your future.

Don't.
    ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 BIOS 1236 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 8MBL2 @ 3.15GHZ | G.Skill DDR2 800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ & XTreem DDR 800 D9GMH - 4GB RAM Total | 4:5 Ratio @ 350fsbx9 | Tuniq Tower 120 | BFG GeForce 9800GTX | Seagate 2x 250GB Perpendicular HDDs RAID-0 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V | Samsung TOC T240 24" LCD Monitor |

Xtreme Addict
    well I am not pushing marriage one bit, I need to be deeply and truly in love with her to even want her to move in with me, and after a few years of that, only time will tell. And that she understands, besides "actual marriage" and kids nothing should change in our relationship, because nothing is techically changing, besides saying we are going to be together for ever(that whole wedding thing :P)

when my cousin got married today, I've never seen two happier people, there situation isn't the best, His been to Iraq and Afgan, goes back in 2010, She is due in Feb, and she has a 6 year old from her previous bf
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

Attack Dachshund
    I was on the verge of marriage twice in my 20's... neither one lasted long enough to make it to the alter.... We were close, but the bell never toned.
    since then, it's just been hit or miss, but the hit or miss sexual encounters spread way out once you hit 30....

I have to say though, and some of you young testosterone influenced bastiges may say this is sad... but the most loyal, understanding, and always faithful relationship I have ever had, has been with my beloved loyal dachshunds... I have cried more over losing my dog than I have over any woman in my life. they have been the fabric that binds my life into cohesive existence. do not underestimate the power of love, for it strikes all species on this planet.

Royal Administrator
    Fixed
    Thank you.

IMO, if you could develop a relationship without having sex with your woman before marriage, then maybe you should get married. I mean if you had sex with her before marriage, then you would never know what she really wanted -- sex for fun or a serious relationship? After marriage, you lose your virginity to your spouse, which makes your relationship more valuable and stay strong.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    Thank you.

IMO, if you could develop a relationship without having sex with your woman before marriage, then maybe you should get married. I mean if you had sex with her before marriage, then you would never know what she really wanted -- sex for fun or a serious relationship? After marriage, you lose your virginity to your spouse, which makes your relationship more valuable and stay strong.
    I agree, I have no problem waiting
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

Life's Replay
    True, it should also be noted that sex does change a relationship though. In some relationships it adds flavor, in others it makes it all worse. This is not to say that one should go do it within the first five minutes of a relationship, it's just something to think about. On the other hand, if one of you is already past the first time, that changes things too.

It's probably good that you have a dog. I personally have exams in three weeks for university and I can't bring myself to study for them because every time that I sit down to study, my mind wanders into subject areas that I'd rather not think about. Distractions are the best, especially if you're confused and don't know what you want yourself.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    True, it should also be noted that sex does change a relationship though. In some relationships it adds flavor, in others it makes it all worse. This is not to say that one should go do it within the first five minutes of a relationship, it's just something to think about. On the other hand, if one of you is already past the first time, that changes things too.

It's probably good that you have a dog. I personally have exams in three weeks for university and I can't bring myself to study for them because every time that I sit down to study, my mind wanders into subject areas that I'd rather not think about. Distractions are the best, especially if you're confused and don't know what you want yourself.
    indeed, sorry to hear about the exams :/
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast