Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More small quakes rattle Yellowstone National Park

Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    I already live in the damn ice age.
    You live in the dark ages.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    You live in the dark ages.
    LOL! I definitely live in that age as well.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

I am Xtreme
    Considering something like 2/3 of the US population lives less then 200 miles from the east coast..........

Think the rest of the world would hate us less afterwards?
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Moral Police
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB12 View Post
    you know our sun is gonna go super nova pretty soon too (cosmologically speaking), and boil all the oceans into steam, then cook the planet like a burnt steak on a grill.
    Earth's core will solidify soona s well (cosmo.... speaking again) turning us into the second mars, no atmosphere, radiation bla bla bla...

pfffffffffffff I need to stop visiting posts like this, makes me depressed

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Is there any coal plants pumping c02 into the ground close to the region?
    No operational subterranean CO2 sequestration takes place in that region. Only small test injection sites at RMOTC north of Casper Wyoming.
    Heatware

Main
    intel i5 3570k @ 4+ GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1 |Crucial Ballistix Tactical VLP 2x8GB DDR3-1600
    intel 335 240GB SSD | WD Black 640GB HDD
    Sapphire AMD 7870XT 2GB w-Boost (Tahiti LE)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

HTPC
    AMD FX 6300 Vishera | ASRock 970 Extreme 3 | Kingston HyperX Black 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    intel 320 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 640GB HDD
    AMD Visiontek HD7850 2GB
    Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N Adapter

Tablet
    Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 - Running rooted J-Bean & ADW

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    And the price of land here in NH will skyrocket!

.........don''t forget about our wonderful view tax.........

The Blue Dolphin
    I always wondered what would happen if a 10-100Mt nuke were detonated at ground zero right at the current caldera. Does the US military have a special policy regarding such an event?
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    I always wondered what would happen if a 10-100Mt nuke were detonated at ground zero right at the current caldera. Does the US military have a special policy regarding such an event?
    It wouldn't do a thing. The caldera is kilometers underground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    yes! i live in southern wisconsin, which is almost smack dab in no where, i can so go fishing whenever i want :P and 2012 is probably when movieman takes over the world

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    Yes, a 4 year,$350 million study came up with the following plan:
    1) Grab chair
    2) Sit down
    3) Lean forward
    4) Kiss your ass goodbye.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Well damn. Time to invest in bullets and beer because the apocalypse is upon us! It's a good thing I've been playing Fallout 3 sporadically, I can effectively create a Vault Tec Vault in Atlanta for those interested.

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    It wouldn't do a thing. The caldera is kilometers underground.
    A caldera is something like a crater, in this case it is filled with water. An underwater nuclear explosion would cause a ripple/oscillation in the magma chamber since the water above it will contain much of the explosive force. A ripple might or might not bring the inevitable eruption event forward.

On the other hand a nuclear explosion could be used to "safely" depressurize the magma chamber before the pressure gets too high. Anyway, it's a big advantage to know when exactly the eruption takes place. In the future an event initiated by men may actually be the best thing possible, because anyone within a few hundred miles radius can get away in time.

I'm just theorizing here

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Yes, a 4 year,$350 million study came up with the following plan:
    1) Grab chair
    2) Sit down
    3) Lean forward
    4) Kiss your ass goodbye.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

I am Xtreme
    here is a comforting thought, our moon slowly is increasing its distance from the earth at about 1/2-1" a year.
    Last edited by phelan1777; 01-04-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Addict
    If that thing blasts .. neither US nor any country in this world survives it ... while US will blasted till smithereens .. the central Asia, Africa will be choked with sulfur dioxide gas .. heavy (very corrosive) acid rains drips onto your head causing not only premature baldness, but extreme scalp deformation ... how bout Europe .. well due to the sudden chill caused by the blockade of the sun, Europe descents to a permanent outpost for O/C with the temps rivaling the liquid N2 (maybe that's what Hells frozen over is about) .. how bout the tropical countries .. after surviving the huge torrents of tsunami (if they still call it) .. rivers and rain (high rain fall pattern) causes massive deforestation faster than Agent Orange itself .. without food, or vege (for vegetarians) .. human turns against one another (Arnold Steak, yum!) .. it wont be long till another species rise up and dethroning the humans as dominate species on the planet

So, the final chapter of humanity ended with a bang!

or another alternative ending ... as soon as the big blast occurred, a huge wave of EMP spreads out far and wide to every corner of US, causing a instant blackout of upon the nation, but there's something else cooking as the nuclear reactors began to boil over with the loss of electronic control .. as the first nuclear detonation, it triggers the whole stock of missile nukes to detonate simultaneously .. after a bright flash, the rest of world shock in horror as the harmony mixture of radiation and sulfur dioxide clouds began to descent onto them.

So, the final chapter of humanity ended with a multiple (flash)bang!

great story huh?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Yellowstone Caldera is routinely tapped as the main subject of many "doomsday" documentaries. However it's eruption, while severe would not cause as much damage to mankind as many here have theorized. Sure the US, Canada and Mexico would see significant setbacks. Setbacks like a loss of 70+ % of annual crop yields. Plus nearly everyone within a 600+ mile radius would most likely be lost within the first couple days. Outwards to 1,500 miles from the eruption perhaps around 25% casualties.

The US would still exist after such an event, it's just a question how many would survive. Maybe as few as 50 million. But thats enough to bring the population back.

Global deaths due to food shortages and wars over decreased resources wouldn't be pretty either, but mankind would eventually recover.

Now if we REALLY want to talk about some good doomsday stuff, lets get into some 10+ kilometer bolide impacts or Gamma-Ray bursts. Compared to either of those, both Yellowstone uncorking and even all out global thermonuclear war are like child's play...
    Heatware

Main
    intel i5 3570k @ 4+ GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1 |Crucial Ballistix Tactical VLP 2x8GB DDR3-1600
    intel 335 240GB SSD | WD Black 640GB HDD
    Sapphire AMD 7870XT 2GB w-Boost (Tahiti LE)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

HTPC
    AMD FX 6300 Vishera | ASRock 970 Extreme 3 | Kingston HyperX Black 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    intel 320 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 640GB HDD
    AMD Visiontek HD7850 2GB
    Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N Adapter

Tablet
    Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 - Running rooted J-Bean & ADW

I am Xtreme
    2005 US population concentration in relation to location to Yellowstone and projected immediate threat zone before the Jet stream carries ash east.

Image is large so I just linked it.

Image here : http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...n_2005_lrg.jpg

Here is another scenario image of what looks like three different calderas?

This image is claiming there is a chain of pockets of magma that make up the entire caldera.

Closer look @ Yellow Stone itself with markings for varying earth quakes recorded and other information.
    (another large image)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ldera_map2.jpg
    Last edited by phelan1777; 01-05-2009 at 10:31 AM.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    This image is claiming there is a chain of pockets of magma that make up the entire caldera.
    It's not so much claiming that it is a chain of hot spots, but rather it illustrates where it was in history as the continent moves over it. It is similar to how the Hawaiian islands are created.

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

I raise you, a nuclear detonation on the farside of the moon to cause its orbit to decay.... into the Earth. Beat that!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueagent6 View Post
    It's not so much claiming that it is a chain of hot spots, but rather it illustrates where it was in history as the continent moves over it. It is similar to how the Hawaiian islands are created.
    I gotcha.

I raise you, a nuclear detonation on the farside of the moon to cause its orbit to decay.... into the Earth. Beat that!
    I see your Nuc and raise you a black hole on the far side of the moon to keep pulling it away.

Beat that!.

In the mean time shhh and go sit in your chair!

Oh and is it hard to get stains out of wool?

Attack Dachshund
    What about the "Dark Star Nibiru" and Planet X that's gonna destroy us in 2012... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lb29fA6cP8
    Last edited by MikeB12; 01-05-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I gotcha.

I see your Nuc and raise you a black hole on the far side of the moon to keep pulling it away.

Beat that!.

In the mean time shhh and go sit in your chair!

Oh and is it hard to get stains out of wool?
    booo... Mine is more believable. And doable I'd say.

Keep posting so I can look at teh avatar some more.

I am Xtreme
    booo... Mine is more believable. And doable I'd say.

Keep posting so I can look at teh avatar some more.
    Like this?

Attack Dachshund
    Like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhB0...eature=related

I am Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009010...08599186931300

Thought I would add this to the discussion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123