Thread: Destroyer Compatibility Lists...

Question Destroyer Compatibility Lists...

Where might one find these?I haven't found any of these online. I have a destroyer comming in the mail and would like to know what memory will work the best with the destroyer. Thnx

Xtreme X.I.P.
    welcome to XtremeSystems matttehman
    I didnt compile any lists yet, let me try and put something together within the next week ok?
    1066 mem is kinda problematic on K10 and daneb (45nm) and i couldnt get it to work with 1t or x-4-4 timings no matter what volts i pumped threw the cpu, but 555 and even 455 seems to work ok. The last time i played with Destroyer i ran Gskill 800 333 2.4v rated mem based on micron GMH/GKX chips and corsair 1066 555 mem based on powerchip. those are the most common ddr2 memory chips and they both worked fine. ill try to test as much ddr2 mem as i can and will report back with a compatibility list

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can tell you that crucial ballistix 800 (d9gmh), lanfest 800 (d9gmh), ocz reaper 1150 (gkx), corsair dominator 1066 (also on d9) they all works fine
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Thnx for the quick replies guys! I am looking forward to any of your findings, but I'll probably just go with one of the tried and true sticks you have listed.

Any Other recommendations on my new build? I want to put a deneb in, so I will have to wait a week or two to order that.

I guess everything else is pretty standard, I was looking into the new ocz vertex ssd's. But they are pretty high dollar. Would I see any benefit in 3dmark vantage with one of these bad boys?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by matttehman View Post
    Thnx for the quick replies guys! I am looking forward to any of your findings, but I'll probably just go with one of the tried and true sticks you have listed.

Any Other recommendations on my new build? I want to put a deneb in, so I will have to wait a week or two to order that.

I guess everything else is pretty standard, I was looking into the new ocz vertex ssd's. But they are pretty high dollar. Would I see any benefit in 3dmark vantage with one of these bad boys?
    ad. rams

I think in this moment you won't get rams that I told you (on d9), probably only from the second hand.

other recommendations ?

good psu

Well I suppose I can wait to order the RAM as well... I'm just antsy you know how it is. I have a 750w cooler master psu. This will do me for one card, but I know I will need more juice if I want to go SLI in the future. RIght now that PSU is running two 7900gt's on a dfi lanparty/opty 144 build.

I am making the switch from DFI to FOxconn so don't let me down guys.

On a further note, I went ahead with this build because of the prices of ddr2 and whatnot. But I am guessing that there will be a pretty huge advantage for using ddr3 with deneb? I just hope I didn't jump the gun too much by purchasing the Destroyer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thx albert!

i dont think the boost will be that big... from what ive seen k10 really doesnt scale that well with extra memory bandwidth cause the imc is saturating all the needs.
    same with core i7, as soon as the memory controller is integrated into the cpu there is a huge amount of bandwidth and the latency drops notably, so memory bandwidth doesnt scale that well. i actually dont think you need a beefier psu for sli, check the anandtech article about this, the guy who does the psu roundups wrote a nice article on how everybody thinks they need huge watt psus when they actually dont
    and the more watts you have and dont use, the less efficient your psu will work and the more power you actually waste.

even a gtx280 is "only" around 200W, a cpu is less than that, and those are the two biggest power consuming parts in a pc...
    add another 100W and you cover the rest of the system easily. so for a gtx280 sli system you would need around 600W, and a 750W psu should cover that.
    of course, if you plan on ocing or your psu is called 750W but is actually a 600W psu, then you might need a beefier one

Thnx Saaya, that is good to hear about the PSU and memory. Motherboard should be arriving this weds, so I will keep you guys updated, of course what difference will it make whilest I am at the mercy of waiting for Deneb?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    on k10 (65nm) and d9 I haven't seen really high from that what I've oced. More often I saw 4-4-4-12 and mhz's around 450/500. I hope deneb will give me better mem controller, some day I'll try it

ps

sayaa, what about my old pm ?

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    thx albert!
    (...)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hey albert... sorry, dont know which one you mean, just resend it to refresh my memory

regarding daneb, i played with the imc quickly a few weeks ago and it seemed to be the same as 65nm, actually slightly worse :S
    then again, that could be because our bios wasnt fully updated yet, and it was an ES chip... but i dont expect any improvements from daneb imc wise...
    theres a very nice and detailled review on hwbox.com
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3189
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253

Xtreme Enthusiast
    resented

I think it's bios case. Maybe your "new guy" is still learning how to make good bios for oc , deneb will release 08.01, so maybe he will able to do better bios and you have retail. Maybe is important or maybe not, will see after release.

BUT

MusicIsMyLife did 300htt (on retail) so bios can't be as bad as we think

Xtreme X.I.P.
    memory read is the same, memory write is better but that doesnt improve perf a lot, read is a lot more important.
    from all memory accesses 60-70% are read...
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=6

usually good write scores mean good copy scores, but on daneb thats not the case for some reason, and memory latency is the same too...
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=7

and this was on an asus board with the latest bios, so like i said, i dont think daneb will offer any notable memory improvements.
    and like you said, it most likely doesnt have to do with destroyers bios that mem perf and clocking is almost the same between daneb and agena. i wouldnt be surprised if the memory controller is exactly the same... a NEW memory controller will be the DDR3 version... they know they will go ddr3 so why would they waste resources to work on a better ddr2 memory controller?

the intercore bandwidth and latency have been improved a lot in daneb, that could possibly explain better write perf...
    it def explains why wprime works so well on daneb
    http://www.hwbox.gr/showthread.php?t=3253&garpg=9

The Destroyer has arrived! That's a big ol' box!

As soon as I get home I will have to open the box and take a peek.
    I have RAM and other stuff on order and it should arrive before Saturday the 10th. But I will still hafta wait on the Deneb.

Do you guys reckon they will be @ the egg at 12:00 a.m. tonight?

Or have you seen any good presales, cheapest I found was still like $295(I am in the U.S). I figure the egg will be ~$280 w/ free shipping. Even that seems kind of high, but it will be fun. I hope it surprises me and it really blazes.

Heck, coming from an nf4 w/ an opty 144@ 2.9 , I should notice quite a bit of difference.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yes
    good luck! i hope you get one of the better ones that can clock close to 4G on air!
    even if your out of luck you should be able to get it up to 3.5G, so yeah, its def a notable improvement over a single core opteron at 2.9G

I will either purchase my pII tonight(hopefully, I'd have to overnight it ) or I might have to wait till Friday. I have noticed there is a pII overclock database now over in the amd section. But there were only 3 entries at my last view. I am looking at ordering from either Mwave or Newegg. probably newegg unless I find out there is a better stepping over at Mwave. Would be nice to ensure a good stepping is in stock, but luck of the draw is kinda fun you know. You never know what you're going to get.