Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: AMD Phenom II X4 (AM2+) Pricing revealed!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    He has referred to more "reputable", so what makes the other individual benchmarks more reputable than the Greek site?
    I don't think he understands what you're asking him. Fans have always marginalized benchmarks that their favorite doesn't do so well running. There are links all over the web touting Super Pi when AMD ran it faster. One guy found that by running at least 4 instances of WinRAR 4 X 4 could finally out run a Single Intel Q6600 and it became to most important benchmark on-line LOL! Hell, I even predicted it at [H].

Meanwhile, I'm hearing about initial prices creeping up (2 VAR's). Now at $275 for the 920 and $339 for the 940. If that's the case, I'll just get a cheap P35 and stick my E8400 on it and get a 9550 for my current rig and wait until next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm hearing about initial prices creeping up (2 VAR's). Now at $275 for the 920 and $339 for the 940. If that's the case, I'll just get a cheap P35 and stick my E8400 on it and get a 9550 for my current rig and wait until next year.
    In the scheme of things at the moment, I feel the Q9550 is currently overpriced and I would like to see and think it might soon happen, a 33% or more price drop.

If that price drop doesn't eventuate soon, I would not be able to justify purchasing it at current pricing.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    I don't think he understands what you're asking him. Fans have always marginalized benchmarks that their favorite doesn't do so well running. There are links all over the web touting Super Pi when AMD ran it faster.
    Hmmm... I must have missed that!! AFAIK, Intel always beat AMD in Superpi results. There was a guy on Techreport who smoked my 3800X2 with a P4 Prescott, he was quite proud of himself even though that was the only benchmark he could win...

Obviously that attitude goes both ways.
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Hmmm... I must have missed that!! AFAIK, Intel always beat AMD in Superpi results. There was a guy on Techreport who smoked my 3800X2 with a P4 Prescott, he was quite proud of himself even though that was the only benchmark he could win...

Heh, I really do think the Super Pi emphasis that some people go for, is a bit out of whack.

Xtreme Addict
    Donnie, yep, I'm watching prices *hard* and have been 3 separarte times today. I'm gonna continue to watch them. I fear that after the relerase of these CPU's, prices are on those Intel parts are gonna skyrocket. I've told freinds of mine already if they are looking at them to get them now before prices soar. The boards have went up a little right before Christmas (to be expected), but this might be the beginnings higher and higher prices. The cat's out of the bag now. What you are seeing confims what I'm seeing and what I predicted lastnight.

My God, I am so glad I was paying attention to stuff back last year and up until November and got my hands on that stuff early. Once the current supply runs out at e-tailers and they have to restock we'll see what really happens then. I really really hope it's not what I'm expecting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    Donnie, yep, I'm watching prices *hard* and have been 3 separarte times today. I'm gonna continue to watch them. I fear that after the relerase of these CPU's, prices are on those Intel parts are gonna skyrocket. I've told freinds of mine already if they are looking at them to get them now before prices soar. The boards have went up a little right before Christmas (to be expected), but this might be the beginnings higher and higher prices. The cat's out of the bag now. What you are seeing confims what I'm seeing and what I predicted lastnight.

My God, I am so glad I was paying attention to stuff back last year and up until November and got my hands on that stuff early. Once the current supply runs out at e-tailers and they have to restock we'll see what really happens then. I really really hope it's not what I'm expecting.
    I completely disagree with your analysis.

The worst case scenario for consumers is surely Intel maintaining prices rather than increasing them.

Xtreme Member
    I completely disagree with your analysis.

The worst case scenario for consumers is surely Intel maintaining prices rather than increasing them.
    I feel that with amd being a lot more competetive, intel will be forced to lower prices(good for us). That's my prediction

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rk7p5 View Post
    I feel that with amd being a lot more competetive, intel will be forced to lower prices(good for us). That's my prediction
    I think Intel will weigh up short term profits versus doing damage to AMD.

I am just not sure what their decision is likely to be.

Keep in mind Intel cuts prices regularly anyway, what we will be looking out for is a price cut that isn't just the normal sort, but a clear response to PhII.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Cybercat: You seem like a bright an rational guy. I'll be honest I'm not really a big gamer, to me my favorite game is pushing hardware to it's edge and still keeping it stable...

As for the $100k thing, building a PhII system will be substantially cheaper than building an equivelant Intel system. Especially for people who already have boards that can use it as a drop in replacement.

Although I appreciate all the work OverClocker_gr @ HWBOX and the Greek guys have done I get the feeling that they don't really know how to tweak the PhII to make it shine. So before we start calling PhII a Non-competative and inadequate product with little monetary value, why don't we wait for the XS AMD folks who know how to tweak Phenoms get their hands on them and start posting results.

I'm not calling you a troll, but to call the PhII a "lame duck" based on the limited availabilty of the chip is a little out of line IMO...

Honestly, even Overclocker_gr's reviews show the chip to be quite competitve...
    No, it's not significantly cheaper. You can either get a P2 920 with a pricey motherboard (if you want good features) or you can get a Q9300 with a cheaper motherboard. All other stuff the same, the Intel system ends up slightly cheaper the way I've priced it all out, assuming the 920 ends up at the ideal price of $230 as it's supposed to.

Then there's the IPC discrepancy and power consumption issue. What sort of tweaking is supposed to make all the disadvantages melt away?
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercat View Post
    No, it's not significantly cheaper. You can either get a P2 920 with a pricey motherboard (if you want good features) or you can get a Q9300 with a cheaper motherboard. All other stuff the same, the Intel system ends up slightly cheaper the way I've priced it all out, assuming the 920 ends up at the ideal price of $230 as it's supposed to.

Then there's the IPC discrepancy and power consumption issue. What sort of tweaking is supposed to make all the disadvantages melt away?
    what do you mean pricey motherboard? the only motherboards over $200 use a 780a.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    what do you mean pricey motherboard? the only motherboards over $200 use a 780a.
    Pricey when comparing a motherboard just under $200 (like the DFI 790FX-B or Asus M3A79-T Deluxe) and a motherboard under $150 (most of the popular Intel mobos).
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Corsair HX620W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercat View Post
    Pricey when comparing a motherboard just under $200 (like the DFI 790FX-B or Asus M3A79-T Deluxe) and a motherboard under $150 (most of the popular Intel mobos).
    yea i guess its pricey if you compare a cheap intel motherboard with the most expensive amd ones.

Xtreme Addict
    yea i guess its pricey if you compare a cheap intel motherboard with the most expensive amd ones.
    Those aren't the most expensive ones. The ones I mentioned are the really popular ones. At the very least, motherboards with equivalent features aren't any cheaper, that's for certain. There is absolutely no price advantage to an AMD platform. Not until you start to look at i7, but i7 is also competing with C2Q for your money.

Then you say, "well P2 is a drop-in upgrade!" That saves you some money over a full platform upgrade, but what about the people that already have C2Q? They have no reason to upgrade, and they've had their systems for a long time now. Think of all the money they saved not having to upgrade.

Price value is a sticky discussion. I'll say there's really no advantage in either direction, and just stick with the issues with the hardware itself, which goes beyond the scope of this thread, really.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Corsair HX620W

Xtreme Addict
    there are many motherboards that are cheaper and the only expensive ones are the ones that use the 780a which most people don't use.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you can get a 4 x pci-e AM2+ board for 100 bux

I only saw a few for intel and most of which where around 300

apples and oranges IMO
    My Heat
    gd-70\955\2x1gbhz1600
    ext-58\920\3x2gb998691
    Expert\170\2x1gbhz

Banned
    A good sAM2+ mainboard is as much expensive as a good LGA775 mainboard. So, at stock settings Deneb and Yorkfield have similar performance/price ratio, with an insignificant advantage of the Deneb platform. But when it comes to OC, the P45 based LGA775 mainboards are cheaper than sAM2+ SB750 mainboards, so Yorkfield platfrom has a little advantage.

So, to the table Deneb only brings the option of an cheap upgrade with a (finally) decent CPU for those who have sAM2+/sAM2 system.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO View Post
    A good sAM2+ mainboard is as much expensive as a good LGA775 mainboard. So, at stock settings Deneb and Yorkfield have similar performance/price ratio, with an insignificant advantage of the Deneb platform. But when it comes to OC, the P45 based LGA775 mainboards are cheaper than sAM2+ SB750 mainboards, so Yorkfield platfrom has a little advantage.

So, to the table Deneb only brings the option of an cheap upgrade with a (finally) decent CPU for those who have sAM2+/sAM2 system.
    where are you getting this from? cpu + ram + motherboard? a 79T with a phenom II 940 and 2gb of 1066 is under $500. and besides getting one of the 780a motherboards no one cares about thats the most expensive it can get. plus after the phenom is released for awhile the prices will drop especially after the am3 versions come.

Banned
    where are you getting this from? cpu + ram + motherboard? a 79T with a phenom II 940 and 2gb of 1066 is under $500.
    P45 + Q9550 + 2GB DDR2-1066 is under $500 too.
    plus after the phenom is released for awhile the prices will drop especially after the am3 versions come.
    hopefully, but then Intel will reduce the prices of Yorkfield, so it'll be status quo.

Xtreme Cruncher
    P45 + Q9550 + 2GB DDR2-1066 is under $500 too.
    hopefully, but then Intel will reduce the prices of Yorkfield, so it'll be status quo.
    Or i7 920 + 3x2GB DDR3 + GA X58 for 650$

Intel havent announced any pricecut besides the already planned one.

And AM3 chips (925 and 945) will just EOL 920 and 940. Tho 940 gets a longer lifespan.
    Last edited by Shintai; 01-05-2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict

depends which boards you want to compare, for basic p45 with 1 pci-e you can compare it to amd 770-780 chipsets, for 2 pci-e you compare it to 790gx or 790f chipset while the 790fx with 4 pci-e has almost no competitor unless you pay the premium prices like the x58 boards which are now finally starting to go down a bit.

and who says you need a sb700 motherboard to be able to oc p2 higher? check the amd section there are already 3.6-3.7 oc's of p2 (even with the 920) on msi ka2 plat which are sb600.

still so sure about your price advantage?

euroland:

p2 920 already heading towards 200eur and 940be 240eur
    long setteled intel prices are 235 for q9400 and 275eur for q9550
    Last edited by duploxxx; 01-05-2009 at 02:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Banned

here are ON STOCK ...

Phenom II X4 940 - 277EUR, 394USD
    Phenom II X4 920 - 237EUR, 337USD

Another Czech CPUs prices:

Core i7 920 - 248EUR, 352USD
    Q9550 - 270EUR, 385USD

I am Xtreme
    In the scheme of things at the moment, I feel the Q9550 is currently overpriced and I would like to see and think it might soon happen, a 33% or more price drop.

If that price drop doesn't eventuate soon, I would not be able to justify purchasing it at current pricing.
    Sure, I think it is over priced as well and that's why I've not purchased one I don't think it will see a real price drop until Core i5 ships. For consumers' sake I hope I'm wrong. Yes there might be a sight price adjustment to about $289 or so +/- $5.00. If early Deneb tests showed it was really kicking booty, yes price would have already fallen.

Daveburt714

True, but going all the way back to 1995, AMD fans have been worse about it. Still doesn't make either side right when either side does it, kind of lame if you as me.

http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/print.php?plugin:content.363

Quote Originally Posted by PCM
    Super Pi gives us a rough idea on how fast a processor is and clocking in at 30.47 seconds,
    the FX-62 is 10 seconds faster than the Pentium EE 840 at 1M calculation
    Cinebench is yet another CPU intensive benchmarking tool and works best with dual-core processors. The FX-62 is clearly better in both single and multiple CPU benchmarks as it lead the Pentium EE 840 by a big margin. The FX-62 is clearly the processor for you if you?re into 3D rendering.
    Again, trying to downplay or marginalize benchmarks is joke, just accept them for what they are, namely Guides and not much else. Just because one processor looses, doesn't mean that processor sucks.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post

Didn't want to make the other post even longer.

Of course that's possible but I agree with Chad. Intel doesn't need a price war with AMD. The economy is the only real thing keeping intel from jacking up prices already. I do mean the whole world's econmy, not just the US. Steady prices or small cuts is all I see.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post

here are ON STOCK ...

Phenom II X4 940 - 277EUR, 394USD
    Phenom II X4 920 - 237EUR, 337USD

Another Czech CPUs prices:

Core i7 920 - 248EUR, 352USD
    Q9550 - 270EUR, 385USD

bad price, in germany on stock
    x4 940 249€ without tax 284$
    x4 920 212€ without tax 242$

Xtreme Member