Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS outlines vision of pay-as-you-go computing

Nerdy Powerlifter

MS outlines vision of pay-as-you-go computing

I was just made aware of this and did not see a thread about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/29/m...ing/index.html

U.S. patent application number 20080319910, published on Christmas Day, details Microsoft's vision of a situation where a "standard model" of PC is given away or heavily subsidized by someone in the supply chain. The end user then pays to use the computer, with charges based on both the length of usage time and the performance levels utilized, along with a "one-time charge."

Microsoft notes in the application that the end user could end up paying more for the computer, compared with the one-off cost entailed in the existing PC business model, but argues the user would benefit by having a PC with an extended "useful life."

"A computer with scalable performance level components and selectable software and service options has a user interface that allows individual performance levels to be selected," reads the patent application's abstract. The patent application was filed June 21, 2007.

"The scalable performance level components may include a processor, memory, graphics controller, etc. Software and services may include word processing, email, browsing, database access, etc. To support a pay-per-use business model, each selectable item may have a cost associated with it, allowing a user to pay for the services actually selected and that presumably correspond to the task or tasks being performed," the abstract continues.

Integral to Microsoft's vision is a security module, embedded in the PC, that would effectively lock the PC to a certain supplier.

"The metering agents and specific elements of the security module...allow an underwriter in the supply chain to confidently supply a computer at little or no upfront cost to a user or business, aware that their investment is protected and that the scalable performance capabilities generate revenue commensurate with actual performance level settings and usage," the application reads.

Don't Miss
    CNET News image galleries
    More technology news from CNET
    Latest CNET News videos
    'A more granular approach'

According to the application, the issue with the existing PC business model is that it "requires more or less a one chance at the consumer kind of mentality, where elasticity curves are based on the pressure to maximize profits on a one-time-sale, one-shot-at-the-consumer mentality."

Microsoft's proposed model, on the other hand, could "allow a more granular approach to hardware and software sales," the application states, adding that the user "may be able to select a level of performance related to processor, memory, graphics power, etc that is driven not by a lifetime maximum requirement but rather by the need of the moment."

"When the need is browsing, a low level of performance may be used and, when network-based interactive gaming is the need of the moment, the highest available performance may be made available to the user," the document reads. "Because the user only pays for the performance level of the moment, the user may see no reason to not acquire a device with a high degree of functionality, in terms of both hardware and software, and experiment with a usage level that suits different performance requirements."

By way of example, the application posits a situation involving three "bundles" of applications and performance: office, gaming, and browsing.

"The office bundle may include word-processing and spreadsheet applications, medium graphics performance and two of three processor cores," the document reads. "The gaming bundle may include no productivity applications but may include 3D graphics support and three of three processor cores. The browsing bundle may include no productivity applications, medium graphics performance and high-speed network interface."

"Charging for the various bundles may be by bundle and by duration. For example, the office bundle may be $1.00 [68 pence] per hour, the gaming bundle may be $1.25 per hour and the browsing bundle may be $0.80 per hour. The usage charges may be abstracted to 'units/hour' to make currency conversions simpler. Alternatively, a bundle may incur a one-time charge that is operable until changed or for a fixed-usage period," the document reads.

Microsoft's patent application does acknowledge that a per-use model of computing would probably increase the cost of ownership over the PC's lifetime. The company argues in its application, however, that "the payments can be deferred and the user can extend the useful life of the computer beyond that of the one-time purchase machine."

The document suggests that "both users and suppliers benefit from this new business model" because "the user is able to migrate the performance level of the computer as needs change over time, while the supplier can develop a revenue stream business that may actually have higher value than the one-time purchase model currently practiced."

"Rather than suffering through less-than-adequate performance for a significant portion of the life of a computer, a user can increase performance level over time, at a slight premium of payments," the application reads. "When the performance level finally reaches its maximum and still better performance is required, then the user may upgrade to a new computer, running at a relatively low performance level, probably with little or no change in the cost of use."
    Good day.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    What an absurd idea. Whats wrong with dell IBM and all the rest making their own computers, with new hardware? Just another way for M$ to get some cash, theyre getting more and more silly.

Xtreme Addict
    And thus we see the true future of the world, all of us living together as one giant hive mind!

Resistance is futile, we are the Borg.

Xtreme Mentor
    All they did was patent the concept so they can use it if needed and prevent others from using it w/o paying MS. There is no indication whatsoever that a patent application indicates any direction in MS strategies. MS has 50 zillion patents, many of which never amount to anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    All they did was patent the concept so they can use it if needed and prevent others from using it w/o paying MS. There is no indication whatsoever that a patent application indicates any direction in MS strategies. MS has 50 zillion patents, many of which never amount to anything.

Precisely...

The End.

I am Xtreme
    Just look how many patents ibm owns, MS is a dwarf compared to ibm when it comes to patents.

Xtreme Addict
    This. The uproar this patent has caused across forums, imageboards, etc. is borderline hilarious.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Addict
    It is funny. It's like it has tranformed from a patent to "OMG!!! MS is gonna start charging pay as you go...everybody run for your lives! Oh the humanity!!!! It'll be mass chaos, dogs and cats will be living together, it will rain fire, hell will freeze over, the Earth will go through an Ice Age and everything! Please people, get in your bomb shelters now! Save youselves!" hahahaha

It's like that game that people used to play when there was a crowd...

You whisper "cat" into one person's ear, and then tell them to whisper it to the next person, and so on, and when it gets all the way around the room, you ask the last person what it was and they say "Dog" and everybody laughs.

Xtreme Addict
    umm...sure.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Addict
    The patenting system needs an overhaul. At least the USPTO should stop issuing absurd patents to giant companies. I mean, with patents, the office should at least try to be much stricter with mega-companies, making sure that silly concepts like swinging sideways cannot be patented by IBM (which IBM did patent this concept for real already). It's almost as silly as patenting the concept of pissing in a toilet standing up.

Well, it's only giving God a good reason to end this absurd world in Dec. 21, 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iCmzGnOI8

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    The patenting system needs an overhaul. At least the USPTO should stop issuing absurd patents to giant companies. I mean, with patents, the office should at least try to be much stricter with mega-companies, making sure that silly concepts like swinging sideways cannot be patented by IBM (which IBM did patent this concept for real already). It's almost as silly as patenting the concept of pissing in a toilet standing up.

Well, it's only giving God a good reason to end this absurd world in Dec. 21, 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iCmzGnOI8
    Great idea! I'll get right on that!

Anyways--no way in hell that I'd do a pay-as-you-go scheme, especially for something as absurd as this. If they offer you computers up-front with this service, I'll buy as many as my house can fit and never use any of them, instead going back to today's "ancient technology", where at least I know I'm safe and not getting anally raped without lubrication by Micro$oft.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Member
    pay-as-you-go computing? rofl.

Case: Coolermaster CM690 OS: Windows XP x64 edition / Windows Vista x64 Optical: Asus DRW-1814BLT, LG GDR8164B Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (rev 2.1) Monitors: Dual GDM-5410 21" RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800, 5-4-3-12 Processor: E2140 (M0) @ 3.2ghz/1.3825v (set in BIOS) PSU: Enermax EG565P-VE FMA (24P) 535W ATX2.01 PSU Videocard: Galaxy 512mb 8800GT @ 675/1674/1100 (Samsung 1.0ns) Cooling: Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Accelero S1 Rev. 2 + 2x 120mm Coolermaster fan Storage: Western Digital Raptor 74gb (WD740GD-00FLA2), Seagate 750gb (ST3750630AS)

Xtreme Addict
    LOL.. with M$, you'll soon want to "Pray-as-you-go"!!!

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Thats the most retarded idea I've ever heard. Score one for MS getting the most rediculous idea of the year award.
    Last edited by Ket; 12-30-2008 at 06:20 PM.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    The scalable performance level components may include a processor, memory, graphics controller, etc.
    hey .. i like this ... since it's paid per use ... they'll be providing the hardware as well!!!

well .. you could pay $1.25 for the new PC, take home, format it .. and install older O/S

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    well .. you could pay $1.25 for the new PC, take home, format it .. and install older O/S
    Genius!

Case: Coolermaster CM690 OS: Windows XP x64 edition / Windows Vista x64 Optical: Asus DRW-1814BLT, LG GDR8164B Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (rev 2.1) Monitors: Dual GDM-5410 21" RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800, 5-4-3-12 Processor: E2140 (M0) @ 3.2ghz/1.3825v (set in BIOS) PSU: Enermax EG565P-VE FMA (24P) 535W ATX2.01 PSU Videocard: Galaxy 512mb 8800GT @ 675/1674/1100 (Samsung 1.0ns) Cooling: Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Accelero S1 Rev. 2 + 2x 120mm Coolermaster fan Storage: Western Digital Raptor 74gb (WD740GD-00FLA2), Seagate 750gb (ST3750630AS)

Xtreme Addict
    So has the patent actually been approved? This sounds like it might fall under the 'obvious' or 'already exists' clauses. I mean, there are already countless opportunities to rent and lease electronics, businesses routinely lease their machines, we have software working a pay-as-you-play/use basis... is this even patent-able?
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    hey .. i like this ... since it's paid per use ... they'll be providing the hardware as well!!!

Not if the BIOS-Firmware doesn't support older OS's you wont, LOL! NOTE! There are current 64bit BIOS settings like PET that will screw up 32bit OS's. Yes the crooks at Microsoft feel that consumers are smarting up on their BS to sell New and Shiny but not needed OS.

This was talked about for the original Windows Live and Office Live. This will only speed up a real Linux for the masses push!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Not if the BIOS-Firmware doesn't support older OS's you wont, LOL! NOTE! There are current 64bit BIOS settings like PET that will screw up 32bit OS's. Yes the crooks at Microsoft feel that consumers are smarting up on their BS to sell New and Shiny but not needed OS.

This was talked about for the original Windows Live and Office Live. This will only speed up a real Linux for the masses push!
    well ... you ARE a xser ... i assume things like this wont burden you that much do they?
    everything is exploitable in computing .. perhaps it's becoz of the defiant features in humanity, there'll be some way to bypass it .. there's always ways

anyhow, back to the topic, yeah i agree ... there's too much cronies in MS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    And thus we see the true future of the world, all of us living together as one giant hive mind!

Resistance is futile, we are the Borg.
    wake up! This will not take off. People talked about this back 1996.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Member
    Pay-per-use operating system? That's retarded, and that's encouraging piracy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    please microsoft, go ahead and do it.

we'll just find a way to hack it, or mod it. then we get cheap fast PC's...
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Mentor
    I actually think its a good idea as tbh if they price it 100% accurate for some people it may actually become cheaper....

for others they should have say buy this for £100 and thats it forever,
    but for some people say they wont even use there computer more then an hour a month (i.e my grandad) so say it was like 50p a hour thats 200 hours/months for him! and thats plenty for him to then upgrade computer at some point lol
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

They will only do it if it means more revenue for them.........
    Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 : Core i5-6600K : EVGA RTX2080 XC : 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 : 256Gb Crucial MX500 : Corsair H100i : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Cosmos S : Windows 10 x64
    Asus Z8NA-D6 : Dual Xeon E5645 : 24Gb DDR3-1333 ECC : MSI GTX470 : 120Gb Samsung EVO 840 : 1TB HDD : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Stacker : DD MC-TDX, EK-FC470, RX240+RX120, D5 X-Top, BayRes : VMware ESXi 6.7.0 - VM's - WCG crunchers x 5 (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), Mint 19, Windows 10 Insider Preview
    Sophos XG 17.5.3 running on GA-Z97-Wifi : Core i3 : 8Gb DDR3-1600 : 120Gb SSD : Corsair H80
    BenQ GW2765, Aten 4-port KVM, Asustor AS5002 4Tb NAS, Belkin 1500va UPS, Sky Fibre Max 80/20Mbps

Xtreme Addict
    pay as you go computers?

for the companies that make money from it it will be very attractive as it will wipe out the second hand market (they will just restrict it to original owner like warranties are now for example).

format it and run some older os on it? forget it, they will just claim your a pirate (or whatever word they will use).

switch to linux? that will not happen, simply put, as long as the applications people are used to dont get ported to linux and you need to learn text commands people wont switch to it in masses no matter what ms does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast