Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I Need help shopping for a used sport coupe!

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmm... thanks for the info...

Anyway, I've been searching all night... I'll start again tomorrow. Let me know if you guys have any ideas! If you guys want to search a used car site, my zip is 23060.

Wow, lot of scions, Chevy's, and mustangs... LOTS. I keep seeing a lot of those roadsters by Mazda and Chrysler too. I'm not interested in these cars... I'm just noticing there's a lot of them.

Omg... the Kia Amanti looks like the bastard deformed child of a Lincoln and a Mercedes. That is one ugly car! That never should have been created... what kind of sick twisted deprived mind devised such a despicable creation?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

I still think a MkIV non-turbo would be a good idea....or even a top notch MkIII non-turbo. I6 engines. 3.0 litres, more than 20+mpg (i've had 27 to 29mpg on a motorway run). Plus its a toyota, so parts are abundant even if it decides to go wrong.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Cruncher
    rx-7, subari wrx, lancer evo VII VIII IX, supra MK IV MK III, mazda miata, honda s2000, mustang 2006, golf gti MKV, audi tt, bmw 325 330, audi a4 1.8t audi 2.0t quattro both, audi a3, .:R32 MKIV, 350z,
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Here's a nice looking Volvo V70R I found:
    http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/962681113.html

And I'm finding a lot of Audi A4 quattros (quattro is a MUST with an Audi), which are absolutely fantastic cars, but you HAVE to take good care of them, or it will bite you in the ass
    http://richmond.craigslist.org/searc...min&maxAsk=max
    From that link: "If you don't know, this is a car that Volvo purpose-built and sold for World Rally Championship (WRC) race homologation rules. Back in 1999, in order to race a production car, a manufacturer had to sell 500 units publically per year. So Volvo developed this R (for "race") version to meet that regulation while allowing for the increased WRC safety and performance requirements; this is not the ubiquitous cosmetic appearance-package R's they mass-produce now. They use these as police interceptors (yes - the wagons for weight distribution and handling purposes; good for racing too) in Europe. See non-proprietary links @ bottom."

^^May I ask WTF? Volvo was never involved in WRC or in any popular rally series. The R-models are not homologation models and they have been in mass production. The R-models have always been high performance models with higher hp engines and better suspension etc. Dunno what that guy has been smoking but that story is load of BS.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Ker-Pow !
    I would go Rx8 or S2000. But Im biased Ive had an RX8 231 now since Sept 2006 and love it. As for it not making power its just as fast as an S2000 in a striaght line drag race, but its also the only proper 4 seater on the market that looks like a 2 seater. Yes its thirsty 16-20mpg average but its bags of fun and will outhandle alot of cars. Round the top gear test track its the same time as the m3 thats got over 100bhp more. Plus they are dirt cheap to buy these days. Depends on how much fun you want to have really.

Yep, i was looking at the RX8's and found that a 231 is well under 10k here, although i don't know enough about the rotaries to comment as to their reliability.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)

Entertainment Setup

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Member
    2002-2005 bmw 330 or 325ci . About 200hp with 25-26 real mpg. Great cars!
    Asus P4C800ED P-M 730@2.8 7700Cu
    2X1GB OCZ - ATI X800XT AIW - OCZ PS 520W

Xtreme Member
    I wouldn't say that a E46 3 series will be low maintenance, but you may never know.

If you could find a E36 3 series, I think you might be better off. Less electrical gremlins, and still a solid car.

Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    I wouldn't say that a E46 3 series will be low maintenance, but you may never know.

If you could find a E36 3 series, I think you might be better off. Less electrical gremlins, and still a solid car.
    I own an E36, but as of today is an old car (it was born in 1991) and if it's true that it's more reliable because of less electronic devices, it's almost true that is less secure in case of accident etc...
    Another thing, E36s are at best euro2, e46s are euro 3 and 4... the engines are more powerful and the mpg is a little higher.
    Globally, obviously, it's a better car

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazu View Post
    From that link: "If you don't know, this is a car that Volvo purpose-built and sold for World Rally Championship (WRC) race homologation rules. Back in 1999, in order to race a production car, a manufacturer had to sell 500 units publically per year. So Volvo developed this R (for "race") version to meet that regulation while allowing for the increased WRC safety and performance requirements; this is not the ubiquitous cosmetic appearance-package R's they mass-produce now. They use these as police interceptors (yes - the wagons for weight distribution and handling purposes; good for racing too) in Europe. See non-proprietary links @ bottom."

^^May I ask WTF? Volvo was never involved in WRC or in any popular rally series. The R-models are not homologation models and they have been in mass production. The R-models have always been high performance models with higher hp engines and better suspension etc. Dunno what that guy has been smoking but that story is load of BS.
    Yeah, that guy is a little messed up.
    Volvo raced in the British Touring Car series

He's just trying to get rid of it to some teenager or early-20s man. Despite the idiot selling it, it is priced nicely.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Yeah, that guy is a little messed up.
    Volvo raced in the British Touring Car series

He's just trying to get rid of it to some teenager or early-20s man. Despite the idiot selling it, it is priced nicely.
    Yeah. Volvo's are nice cars but even the R-models are not comparable to any sport cars. They are still just fast family cars, nothing else. My dad has a 2001 V70 with the 200hp 2.4l engine. Good car for highways and very comfortable but not any good for the twisty's.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme Addict
    The problem with cars like BMW and Mercedes is... if anything happened I couldn't afford the repairs, and EVERYONE we've known who's had those (a long list of people) have all told us that they are high maintenance and the tune ups are expensive. I simply can't afford that. And I'm definitely not interested in those little roadsters, I need something with a little trunk space... well more than something that small. I can't afford anything like an Evo (I WISH!!!) or any other true sports car, and if I did get one it would eat through gas and the ones I could afford would be so old they wouldn't be worth getting because I don't know how to work on them. Thanks for the info though guys, I really appreciate you all taking the time to try to help.

Let me highlight what I need most in a car, now that I've had more time to think about it and ask people questions:
    1. RELIABLILITY!
    2. Inexpensive repairs and tune-ups, not high maintenance
    3. 20-26 ~ 22-29 MPG
    4. Good, but not extreme performance
    5. Shiftable Automatic (Automatic trans with manual shifting option)
    6. Rear wheel drive
    7. Some trunk space
    8. Decent Safety features - air bags, etc.
    9. Not a target for hijackers
    10. Not a small car... like those tiny Mazdas or miniature roadsters, but not a big sedan either that’s hard to park in the city.

I really like the sound of the G35, but I'm a little worried about its MPG. It's rated in the high teens and lower 20's. That sounds like one of those awful gas guzzling mustangs or my mothers gas hungry XTerra. If the gas prices go sky high again, I don't want to be caught with a car that's going to eat through my wallet. A lot of people with high MPG cars nearly ended up on the street last year. I don't make much money, so this is an issue, but not so bad that I can't afford something that hits the higher 20's.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    The Supra that Kai showed is pretty good. Very reliable and parts are decently priced. If you can find a twin turbo one that's even better.

Xtreme Mentor
    Get a Mazda3 or Mazda6

Turbocharged 2.3L or 2.4L 4 cylinder and they're bloody good fun
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    I looked for some supras, but I couldn't find any. I went to a Mazda dealership and sat in a 3 and they felt really tiny and cheap inside.... I didn't like them at all. I felt like I was being squeezed into a cheap tiny plastic box. I looked through the window of the 6's and they looked exacly the same inside. Its a good car... but I don't think its for me. I think I'm too big for that tiny car.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I looked for some supras, but I couldn't find any. I went to a Mazda dealership and sat in a 3 and they felt really tiny and cheap inside.... I didn't like them at all. I felt like I was being squeezed into a cheap tiny plastic box. I looked through the window of the 6's and they looked exacly the same inside. Its a good car... but I don't think its for me. I think I'm too big for that tiny car.
    Were there any Mazdaspeed models available?

What about the 2009 Mazda6?

Xtreme Addict
    Too expensive... and too expensive. Would be nice though. Its a shame they don't have the Honda R's in the US . I'd love to get my hands on one with independant suspsention.

I think I found a winner though. I've been taking a closer look at the Toyota Solaras and they might not be the best looking in the bunch, but they perform well, have plenty of power for me, they get great MPG (28!), and its a Toyota! Sounds good to me! I just wish it was RWD though. *sigh*

Hey, if I had it my way and I had the money for a car that needed to be spoiled like a Mercedes or a BMW, I'd definately get one. But I can't afford the expensive tune ups or the kind of parts it would need if anything went wrong.

Hmm, how far would you be willing to travel to pick up a vehicle?

Main Rig

Entertainment Setup

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmmm... hour or so probably max. I don't want to turn this into a road trip or pay for expensive shipping charges. It also has to be a normal dealership that will give me all the financing options so I can work with a loan and all that.

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone else got any ideas? That solara... I dunno. It has everything I need, but the fwd is bothering me. So is the fact that it looks so boring....

if you can get a loan at a dealership, i dont see why you couldnt get a loan at a bank. have you tried bank or credit union loans? that would expand your options immensely. you can go in and get a preapproval at a bank just to know where you stand.
    RF/LL full tower
    corsair hx1000.asus-p5ke/wifi
    q9550@3.83(1.35v) 8gb g.skill PI 1000
    2x80gb wd raptor raid0(+)1x150gb raptor
    gtx280
    mcp655/dtek fuzion v2/mcw60 w.swiftech gt200 full sink/2x120mm blackice pro

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    Anyone else got any ideas? That solara... I dunno. It has everything I need, but the fwd is bothering me. So is the fact that it looks so boring....
    New Toyotas are not fun cars to drive. Steering has no feeling whatsoever

I'd pay attention to financing deals that are around.

Have you gone to a bank to see about a loan? Or is your credit not so good?

Here's an RX8
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=79
    (the nice thing about an RX-8 is that since it's a 4 door, insurance sees it as a sedan rather than a sportscoupe )
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 01-01-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    My mother is taking out a loan, and I'll help with the payments... thats how we're doing it. She has better credit than me and its much easier to do it this way for everyone. This is kinda my first car as far as I'm concerned. That Sonoma I owned I bought 3rd hand off my dad for 2k back in 2000 or 2001... it was a pile of crap, had no room in the cab for shopping, was always in the shop, and drove like crap... I'm glad I can FINALLY get a car now. But I don't know what to get. Everthing I find is either too old, is too boring or lacks power, has front wheel drive, costs a fortune to maintain, costs too much, or has too many miles on it. I REALLY like the G35, but I'm very worried about the MPG. 17 - 24 sucks! That thing would suck the money right out of my wallet. I wish I could get a BMW or a Merc... but everyone my family has ever known has warned us that they're expensive to maintain, even simple tune ups are expensive for those cars.

Having a look for you - there are two Ford Dealers within 8 miles of you, and so far i'm seeing some silly good deals.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe ($9,998):
    http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...erPACode=09470

2008 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6 ($14,588):
    http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...erPACode=09470
    Last edited by Kai Robinson; 01-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Main Rig

Entertainment Setup

Xtreme Addict
    What about a 2006 Volvo S60 2.5T? Is this a good car? Its a 5 cylinder turbo that does 208 hp @ 5000 RPM, and 236 Torque (lb-ft) @ 1500 - 4500 RPM. Thats getting up there towards the G35, and it has better MPG. But what I wanna know is... I notice it has AWD, but which wheels are pushing the most, the front or the back? The MPG is decent, not great, but decent at 20-27. This car sounds like what I might be looking for. It has a good sized boot, plenty of space, and from what I remember Volvos are soldily built and last a long time.... maybe not comparable to a Merc, but still. Speaking of cars like the Merc, is this Volvo going to be expensive to maintain and tune up similar to other european cars like BMWs and Mercs?
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 01-01-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast