Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SlySoft defeats Blu-ray's BD+ DRM scheme again

Xtreme Addict
    Can someone please explain how they haven't been sued into oblivion? I mean they are directly thwarting the security measures put in place on a paid for product, and making money doing it! You'd think Sony and it's posse would have buried them in lawyers by now.

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbenator View Post
    Can someone please explain how they haven't been sued into oblivion? I mean they are directly thwarting the security measures put in place on a paid for product, and making money doing it! You'd think Sony and it's posse would have buried them in lawyers by now.
    They're based in Antigua, so the DMCA does not apply.
    3800 X2 @ 2.7GHz
    DFI nf4 SLI-D
    2x1gb GSkill ZX
    TT Sonic Tower
    Visiontek 4850
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair 750TX

Xtreme Addict
    yeah i bought it last month totaly worth it to have dvd/bd on hdd, but now i have had to buy 4 1tb hdds

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Non-response. About what I expected. "Yes and no" works as a response when it is explained. Standing alone it means nothing.
    All your posts are non-response. You keep asking me the same question over and over again even after i explained to you that your question does not have a simple answer. The explanation to the Yes and No you can find in my previous reply, just because you dont like it does not make it invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Yep! They got sued for CloneCD when they where called Elby then they moved their company into a country that has no copyright laws. Oh the irony that they now located in a remote island. Pirates still rule the seas lol.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I bought my copy NYE after seeing this post.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbenator View Post
    IIRC the laws in the US allow you to make a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Bingo. TPB did the same thing when a lawsuit was pushed against them: It's not the states so your laws don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Non-response. About what I expected. "Yes and no" works as a response when it is explained. Standing alone it means nothing.
    Effectively speaking, a lack of DRM MAY encourage piracy, but the prescence of it will not deter piracy. Not everyone will jump aboard the piracy boat at the first moment, due to ethical concerns. When it comes right down to it, there are two types of people. Pirates, and moral people. The latter won't pirate, even if the CDs are being handed out free on the street. The former won't turn down a free, clean copy.
    Last edited by Movieman; 01-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    IIRC the laws in the US allow you to make a backup.
    It is always illegal to bypass copy protection measures on a disc, whether it's for a personal backup or not. (At least in the US)

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulatin View Post
    Effectively speaking, a lack of DRM MAY encourage piracy, but the prescence of it will not deter piracy. Not everyone will jump aboard the piracy boat at the first moment, due to ethical concerns. When it comes right down to it, there are two types of people. Pirates, and moral people. The latter won't pirate, even if the CDs are being handed out free on the street. The former won't turn down a free, clean copy.
    You completely missed the point. Because if what you say is true, then why did he say they would be foolish not to use copy protection on their software? You say: "the prescence of it will not deter piracy". He says they would be foolish not to use it. THAT is my point. If copy protection won't deter piracy and only the immoral pirates (your words) will download illegitimate copies (even if handed out free on the street, as you say), why bother with copy protection on software at all? And that is why I have kept on the issue. He said that not having copy protection was foolish, and yet argument after argument by those in the pro-piracy category include such points as copy protection is pointless because it gets cracked instantly, piracy has no impact on sales, copy protection only makes legitimate use more difficult, etc. So I want to have that divide bridged. Why would it be foolish not to have copy protection when the only thing presented so far by the person making the claim that they should have it are arguments for NOT having it?
    Last edited by Movieman; 01-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Guru
    all great and all.. more power to them

but i just want to view/watch the damn bluray title

and lately its been hell to get to play certain bluray titles on powerdvd7/8/totalmedia theater.. some included in the list above

cyberlink/arcsoft very slow @ updates

Turkey Man
    Speed, lets cut the lawyer talk and start talking real life. You can analyse every fricken word typed in this thread to death if you want, but for me it makes for boring reading.
    The vast majority of people using discs are not even aware of how to copy them. And even those that are, their only hope is the first piece of software that google pops up when they search "copy Crocodile Dundee".
    Basic copy protection thus thwarts these efforts for the minority of the mainstream, leaving the even smaller minority who are knowledgeable enough who will just go out and crack everything regardless when the software becomes available (e.g. AnyDVD).

The real problem where im from is pirated discs available on the street. In Australia almost everyone owns some discs they (or their friend) bought in Bali on holiday, or anywhere else in SEA for that matter. Im currently living in Indonesia and can buy anything popular you can name for about $3.

Here to help
    I am not pro-piracy but I will buy this product.

I will buy this product so that I can watch the material I have legitimately paid for in the most convenient form for me. That is on a server that can stream the film to the room I am in when I want to watch the film, I have paid for.

Can anyone give me a moral argument why I shouldnt do this?

Regards

John.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
    I am not pro-piracy but I will buy this product.

I will buy this product so that I can watch the material I have legitimately paid for in the most convenient form for me. That is on a server that can stream the film to the room I am in when I want to watch the film, I have paid for.

Can anyone give me a moral argument why I shouldnt do this?

Regards

John.
    Only thing I can think of is that if you pay money to SlySoft you are indirectly supporting piracy.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    Only thing I can think of is that if you pay money to SlySoft you are indirectly supporting piracy.
    By buying cheap products you are supporting child sweat shops all over the world! How do you feel now?
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    By buying cheap products you are supporting child sweat shops all over the world! How do you feel now?
    By buying goods manufactured in china, taiwan, etc (ie: imported cheap labor) there's a good chance you're doing the same.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    How?

Just because some people will use the product for piracy does not mean you support it.

I buy guns. Some people use those guns to kill people. Does that mean I indirectly support murder?

I buy computers. Some people use computers to con old and stupid people into sending them a check so they can help some Saudi prince transfer his inheritance. Does that mean I support such activities?

I can go on and on, but that logic is absurd.
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    My god. What have I been doing?

From now on, I will only buy products made by unionized employees. Bigger union is better.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

c[_]
    Unions may be funneling funds to support alterior motives, BEEF!! oh no!

Xtreme Mentor
    I think you're both supporting terrorists by being pot smoking Canadians.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Member
    I think he was being ironic <- Mr. Obvious

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    I dont, but my brothers probably make up for my lack of not.

Xtreme CCIE
    I think my counter-argument (as I did just buy the suite) would be that since I bought it for legitimate reasons (wanting to copy things to a home media server), the software does have legitimate uses. Thus if someone else decides to take software with a legitimate use and use it for their own illegal ends, that is their moral failing and not mine.

I think the argument is slight different than that of guns which another poster suggested. Guns are, effectively, necessary for some things (ie. defense of ones country) so they must therefore exist - but what types of guns must exist and regulation behind who they can be sold to are up for debate. With that item it's not a one-type-fits-all argument. I miss SF right now

Oh, and in case anyone didn't notice - SlySoft extended their deal until Jan 11. That's free lifetime updates instead of subscription-based, 20% off as a christmas sale, and if you do get bundle discounts on top of that (31% if you buy everything).
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    Grown in BC by rednecks.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    How?

Just because some people will use the product for piracy does not mean you support it.

I buy guns. Some people use those guns to kill people. Does that mean I indirectly support murder?

I buy computers. Some people use computers to con old and stupid people into sending them a check so they can help some Saudi prince transfer his inheritance. Does that mean I support such activities?

I can go on and on, but that logic is absurd.
    First of all, AnyDVD violates the DMCA so anyone who uses it technically a pirate, not just some. Second of all, he specifically requested for someone to try to think of a moral argument so I tried to, get a life

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

Xtreme Addict
    DMCA violates my right to make a backup. Just because it hasnt been challenged in court yet, means nothing.

And just because it violates the DMCA does not technically make anyone a pirate.

Get a life? Mad because I showed how your so called moral argument is........ BS! Go cry to someone who cares.

I will be buying their product and using it to backup all my DVD's and future BR. Hell, now I have a reason to get a PS3.

Boo. Hisss. Their product just helped to increase the sales of another company. How evil of them
    Last edited by Aberration; 01-04-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast