Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X58 BloodRage Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling Compatibility List

Xtreme Member
    Edit: Above setup killed the ram in the 1st slot. Praying the motherboard is still fine.
    Installed the ram in another computer and ran memtest, errors galore.
    Any suggestion for another air cooler for this motherboard ('cept for stock that is) or use a 120x20mm fan like what Eidos is using http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=35? A friend in Japan uses a Scythe Mugen2 and is having the same problem.
    Just wondering, did you test your RAM for errors before this fan setup?

Ol' Faithful - Retired...

- Foxconn BlackOps - E8600 @ 4.5GHz, 1.32v - 8GB Patriot Division2 @ 1600 8-8-8-20 - OCZ Apex 120GB SSD - XFX HD6870 1GB Black Edition - BFG Ageia Physx - ULTRA X3 ULT40064 1000w - Cosmos RC-1000 - Gateway XHD3000 30"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP SECRET:

- EVGA Classified3 - i7 950 @ 4.25Ghz on 1.30v - 24GB Kingston HyperX @ 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz - XFX HD6970 v1.0 2GB @ 950/1450 - Diamond HD6970 v1.0 2GB @ 950/1450 - XFX 9800GT - SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Champion
    - 510 120GB SSD - CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w - Stacker 830 [Custom painted in Classified theme] - 3x 23" LG E2381VR SuperLED @ 5760x1080 - Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver - Martin Logan MTL-1 5.1ch Surround Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Bullet

- ASUS M4E-Z - i7 3770k @ 5Ghz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite - HD 7970 3GB - 2x Corsair Force3 120GB SSD [RAID0] - ULTRA X4 1000w PSU

Xtreme Member
    Just wondering, did you test your RAM for errors before this fan setup?
    Yup, used Memtest.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    Will the Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler on the Blood Rage cause any issues, you think? I guess the second problem would be my G.skill Pi Black Ram that's installed. It seems as though the heatspeader would interfere with this cooler especially since the fans can't be raised like on a Thermalright. Saaya said that even with the Thermalright, the fan had to be raised a bit if using the Corsair memory, but I'm not sure how tall his modules are. Seems that cooling solutions are a pain, at the moment, especially when you are looking at having it all in a case and not water cooling.

Product Page:
    http://www.vigorgaming.com/component...ite_intel.html

Additional Photos:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...201366%20Ready

G.Skill Pi Ram:
    http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/data...L8T_PI_B_1.jpg
    Hmmm im sorry, i dont think the monsoon will fit with both fans installed.
    If you remove the one on the side of the mem then it might fit... or if you mount it elevated slightly higher above the ram... that heatsink is a tight fit on the P6T already, any board with the mem slots closer to the cpu socket for shorter memory traces and hence better ocing like the intel smackover, BR or gigiabyte boards will probabaly not fit...

Im sure you CAN fit it, but itll need some DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Touge180SX View Post
    From the pictures I saw on Newegg, the Monsoon's backplate won't fit because it is an X shape and will be blocked by the 1366 socket plate on the back of the mobo, same problem I had with my Swiftech GTX 775 backplate. You need a backplate that is setup like the one in the picture which is for 1366. As for the RAM and the cooler, it will be a tight fit and the only way to really tell is to give it a try. Hope that helps.
    it depends on the length of the screws actually, if they are long enough than thats not a problem... the 1366 socket backplate will just elevate the backplate a bit... and if the screws are too short, you could def fit it with longer screws, again DIY is king

Thanks, I thought it'd be a tight fit, but didn't think about the backplate. Will the Thermalright one work fine for the TRUE?

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...er_1366rt.html
    yepp, we are using TRUEs here

Should work fine according to Thermalright as it is a 1366 backplate. Saaya, can you confirm this?
    yepp!

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    What about the d-tek fuzion v1 or v2?
    This is V1 i suppose?
    http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=182

it looks like its beeing mounted with some sort of custom pushpin and without a backplate... depending on the pushpins itll either work or not... if they are adjustable enough to make up for the extra hight of the 1366 cpu socket then it should fit...

V2 is this one:
    http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=210

looks like the thermalright spring screws with a tuniq tower style backplate.
    should work provided the springs arent too tight, but i think they are too tight... the 1366 cpu socket is only 1mm higher, but the backplate of the 1366 cpu socket is 2mm thick, so together itll be an extra thickness of 3mm... it might work or not... if it doesnt, replacing the springs on the screws or using different screws should work. and again DIY is king

Id recommend to ask them about a 1366 kit though, im sure a V2 1366 kit is already in the makes and should work without any mods or fiddling

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Oh come on, no word on compatibility with one of the best i7 coolers? (better design for i7 then GTZ and EK)
    didnt ignore your post :P
    ive been pretty sick for a few weeks and didnt post much here, and until today there were 2 week chinese new year holidays here, sorry i didnt reply sooner

Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    That bloodrage is compatable with me, i can tell you that, I just toook the board out of the box for hte first time, it's a thing of beauty, WOW. It is so sweet, nice heatpipes, all screwed down, no pushpins, all have backplates, I think this has to be one of the best boards I have ever held. I have the EK Supreme, black Derlin for it....
    glad you like it!!!

EK supreme is with 775 or 1366 mounting holes?
    can i add it to the list?

I concur that the Bloodrage is one of the nicest boards ever! I have been loving mine, especially at the 4.2Ghz I have it with temps of 60C at 100% load on my Swiftech GTX!
    wow, you got your 920 to 4.2? :o 21x200? :o what vcore?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8golf View Post
    Here's something - I tried to use the new Thermalright fan retention bracket with my Bloodrage and it's a no-go. The RAM slots are too close to the CPU / HS to fit it on there. The wire clips *might* work, but they basically suck. Anyone else run into this / have some good workarounds?
    the wire clips work cause you can hook the lower one in an inch higher than normal and then have the fan slightly elevated
    if the memory has large heatspreaders thats necessary, but for normal heatspreaders things should work fine?

The fan holder can interfere with the RAM as I have a TRUE along with both clips and holders. Clips work best as they hold the fan closer and can be modified (bent just right so the tension holds still) to not interfere with nearby objects if that is a problem. Also, I got a slimmer fan (120mm x 20mm Yate Loon) and that helps out too, but that doesn't help out with the holder, just the clips. Also, when installing, you can move the heatsink around a tad before tightening it completely as there's more than enough surface area on the base to cover the i7, so you can move it back a tad if you need more room on the front end. If you're using 2 fans, then the one on the backside has more room and no RAM heatsink fins, etc. in the way there so it doesn't cause any problems.
    cool, thanks for the details!

Quote Originally Posted by ilsant0 View Post
    I would like to mount a noctua NH-U12P SE1366 on bloodrage, but i'm perplexed on the area between the noctua's fan and the first ram slot, because some rams have the heatsink fins (such as carsair dominator or csx diablo 2000).
    So do you know incompatibility about that?
    It would be interesting to know the distance between the socket and the first slot of ram in order to calculate the height useful

Thank you..and sorry for my tremendous english...
    Distance of the edge of the first memory slot to the edge of the 1366 cpu socket is 26mm

Quote Originally Posted by gr8golf View Post
    Obviously the RAM slots were placed way too close to the socket - guess they figured everyone was going to use the stock Intel HS.
    no, we figured with i7 not tolerating high vdimm and all chip makers focussing on 1.35-1.8v vdimm for their new chips memory sticks with huge heatsinks would not be as popular anymore, AND, most importantly, we figured having lots of space for heatsinks on the memory is less important than achieving high memory overclocks thanks to shorters and optimized memory traces
    actually gigabyte boards and intels own smackover board have less space between the edge of the cpu socket and the first memory slot

Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    @ilsant0: Below is an interim solution, until I can find a permanent one. Not the best solution I know, but will have to do for now.

Spent the whole day trying to figure out why it wont boot on x64 with 6GB of ram. Darn G15/16 bios'es...
    yeah, thats how i mounted the fan as well, worked fine for me, the sligthly lower airflow didnt seem to change the temperatures at all, it doesnt look that pretty tho, true

so is the mem fine or not?
    could it be that it was damaged in another way?
    i cant imagine how the mem died if the fan barely touched it... hmmm too bad...

Regarding G15/G16.. sorry

I am considering in moving into water now...
    i7 loves water!

You won't regret it, trust me!
    oh yes! ive seen a 965 at 4.6 on water, thats where some chips max out on ln2! dont know what it is with i7 and low temps, but it barely scales below zero...

Quote Originally Posted by Richie P View Post
    Just to confirm, Fuzion v1 working fine here - it's just got the bolt through threads so it doesn't interfere with the i7 backplate at all
    nice! so they have enough flexibility to make up for the slightly higher cpu socket on 1366, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Telo View Post
    Two reasons:

1. That makes for a shorter path between the CPU and the RAM. Hell, they even removed the second RAM bank for that reason.

2. I think their idea was for people to use mainly watercooling.
    Why you ask? Well, take a look at the design of the new NB block compared to the BlackOps block, its a difference of night and day.
    yes, the main concern is to make something technically possible and not to build a solution for best compatibility at the cost of oc performance.
    it was evident from day1 that i7 runs very hot when oced and while large tower heatsinks CAN cool it, they need a lot of space and airflow and in the high end segment watercooling is already very popular and fits very well. the main idea of the 775 mounting holes was for ln2 pots, dry ice pots, compressor cooling and water cooling. That a lot of heatsinks fit as well is a bonus

I know its annoying that some heatsinks dont fit perfectly, but think about it, whats the point of having a lot of space between all components for huge heatsinks, to cool your overclocked cpu and memory etc... when you cant overclock your memory and cpu that well cause the traces are that long?

imo cooling has to meet the hardware requirements and the hardware requirements dont have to meet the cooling.
    cpus used to not even require a heatsink or only passive heatsinks, now do you think it was the right decision to work on a faster cpu that needed a heatsink even though it meant new cooling requirements, or should intel and amd have designed their cpus for exisiting cooling? :P\

TRUE does fit, although the fan on the memory slot side needs to be mounted slightly elevated or needs to be replaced with an 80mm or 92mm fan. and if your memory is using normal or no heatsinks the heatsink can be mounted north/south wise as well, in which case it blocks the first 2 memory sticks from getting removed, but you can mount 2 fans for perfect push pull, pull hot air from the vgas and push it to the psu exhaust fan
    Last edited by saaya; 02-06-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    so is the mem fine or not?
    could it be that it was damaged in another way?
    i cant imagine how the mem died if the fan barely touched it... hmmm too bad...
    Saaya, 1 stick died. Ran Memtest on it and it was producing errors all over the place. Well, took the remaining 2x2GB and plugged it into my rampage extreme.

i7 loves water!
    yeah, still wearing the thinking cap for this though.

Glad to see you back in action. CNY vacation is done and over with, eh?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    wow, you got your 920 to 4.2? :o 21x200? :o what vcore?
    Yep, 24/7 stable at 4.2Ghz at around 1.4V VCore. I'll have to check it again to confirm this though.
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4833.55Mhz~EVGA "Classified" E760~XFX HD5870~6GB G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000~Corsair HX1000~2x WD Velociraptor 150GB RAID 0~WD Cavier Black 1TB~Custom Danger Den Water Box Plus~Windows 7 x64 RTM~Dell 2407WFP

H20!
    CPU Loop: MCP-655~Swiftech MCR-220~HEATKILLER® 3.0 LT
    GPU Loop: MCP-655~XSPC RS240~EK FC5870 Plexi+Nickel

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Glad to see you back in action. CNY vacation is done and over with, eh?
    thanks
    sorry i havent been on much...
    for us yeah, some in china are still on cavation tho, crazy...

Yep, 24/7 stable at 4.2Ghz at around 1.4V VCore. I'll have to check it again to confirm this though.
    thats lovely! ive seen close to 5G with 1.5v, but thats on compressor cooling

so it seems the more recent steppings scale more when going from above zero to sub zero?

Xtreme Member
    sorry i havent been on much...
    for us yeah, some in china are still on cavation tho, crazy...
    Well, CNY was officially over last monday (after 15 days) so they should be full force again. hehehehe

Tried a new approach in mounting the TRUEcu, finally got it to fit without hitting the ram. Wish I had done this before... yeah, I know...
    Went back to using the fan wire clips though. This is only for 20mm or 25mm thick fans.

Thanks Saaya.....

Xtreme X.I.P.
    officially, yes, but cause of the economic situation a LOT of companies and government agencies sent their employees to CNY earlier, and let them stay there longer. Ive heard some people actually were sent home before christmas and stayed there until now... thats a whopping 2 month holiday... unfortunately for many people in china thats unpaid holidays we went to CNY on january 22 to february 4th iirc.

looks beautiful maxxx!
    m really surprised how many people went for the TRUE in copper

1 stick died. Ran Memtest on it and it was producing errors all over the place.
    Tried a new approach in mounting the TRUEcu, finally got it to fit without hitting the ram. Wish I had done this before... yeah, I know...
    Went back to using the fan wire clips though. This is only for 20mm or 25mm thick fans.
    Funny, I have the TRUE and the G.skill Pi Ram so we have the same physical issues with our setup (I just don't trust water coursing through my system at this time). I use a case, though (Sunbeamtech Transformer), so moving the fan up wasn't an option, but the side case fan spills over the ram and give the front CPU Cooler fan better air flow. The pressure wan't great on the first stick so I did run my rig for a little while with a 25mm fan pushing on it while I was waiting for my 20mm fan to show up. Yes, using wire clip on the front fan is the way to go, but backside can use fan holder, thicker fan, etc. for puch/pull setup. The nice thing with wire clips is that they are easy to manipulate to make it work right. Si, I think the TRUE is really the way to go because you can make it work easily.

I do want to ask you what type of errors you were getting so that I can check mine. They all seem fine at this time, but wanted to check it further.
    Last edited by Eidos; 02-11-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I do want to ask you what type of errors you were getting so that I can check mine. They all seem fine at this time, but wanted to check it further.
    @Eidos: i'll check again when I get the chance. I had put that stick in its box already and its siblings are in a Rampage Extreme.
    Btw, they are not the ones you see in the pics I posted. That's a 2nd set.

I'm running an Apogee GT with the 775 backplate just fine....
    I did not notice any issue with installing it on the BloodRage. Maybe I am missing something.
    Intel 920 i7
    Quantum-Force BloodRage
    Corsair Dominator 1600 6G kit
    evga 260gtx core216 55nm x2 SLI
    evga 9800gtx+
    WD Raptors x2 Raid0
    CoolerMaster HAF with lots of water!!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah, thats the great thing about fanclips, you are very flexible when it comes to mounting
    thanks saltine! somebody said it probably wouldnt work so i took it off the list since i dint want anybody to complain
    good to hear it works fine

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FYI, tried the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 with 775 mounting kit for a while now and it works fine despite the pushpins...

Hello iam from germany, and my english is very bad. sorry.

I have mounted the Scythe Mugen 2 on my Bloodrage with the 1366 Flip Mount Super Back-Plate system. But you can use only Ram´s with a small heatspreader like the G.Skill DIMM Kit 6GB PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-18 (DDR3-1333) (F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK) ( I use these). hope i can help you with this information.

PS: the Smartfan option from the Board dont work.

greats sheriff_jr

Xtreme Member
    Hai saaya

wanna ask about the compability of third party waterblock for the NB and SB...

have you tried to release the cooling from the mosfet-NB-SB ? think want to use MCW30 to the NB and SB...dont really that they will be fit or not...because i dont really trust from the cooling solution that works with liquid cooling from the board itself..

thx saaya..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm as usual very late to the party, but the Vapochill LS with S775 kit works just fine. You'll need your own insulation though, but I suppose that's not a problem for people here.
    I KNOW MASSMAN DISLIKES YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    yo yo... man, you gotta lose the beard... you look like a drunk :P
    Competition ranking: Better than the danes in everything I've ever entered.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis_is_evil View Post
    Hai saaya

wanna ask about the compability of third party waterblock for the NB and SB...

have you tried to release the cooling from the mosfet-NB-SB ? think want to use MCW30 to the NB and SB...dont really that they will be fit or not...because i dont really trust from the cooling solution that works with liquid cooling from the board itself..

thx saaya..
    That waterblock which is sold with Bloodrage is perfectly fine.. unlike other manufacturers solutions.. (namely ASUS and their leaking ones..). Don't worry, this one works.

Xtreme Member
    Might sound daft but what is the inlet and outlet of the waterblock? there is nothing in the manual?

Az

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by azza21 View Post
    Might sound daft but what is the inlet and outlet of the waterblock? there is nothing in the manual?

Az

Doesn't matter.. I guess its ambidexterous. I tried it left in, right out. Worked. (set sides by that small logo if you want).

Banned
    I can add a confirmation of the HeatKiller Rev 3.0 775 working on the Bloodrage(No Backplate).

As far as I can tell it works in a vertical or horizontal configuration(doesnt seem to be anything blocking).

Xtreme Member
    can I use the TRUE120 LGA775 backplate with the bloodrage or it won't work?

Heatkiller 3.0 1366 with Backplate is working also well.

Xtreme Member
    Everyone's going water and I am still on air. hehehe.
    Planning stage on water though.

Back on topic, I tried the Prolimatech Megahalems on the BloodRage, its a no go for me.
    You can't mount a 25mm thick fan.

Xtreme Addict
    Everyone's going water and I am still on air. hehehe.
    Planning stage on water though.

Back on topic, I tried the Prolimatech Megahalems on the BloodRage, its a no go for me.
    You can't mount a 25mm thick fan.
    Try TRUE, it will be effective as Megahalem or better. Btw. there are 20mm thick 120mm Yate Loons (simply slim version), which could help too..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Try TRUE, it will be effective as Megahalem or better. Btw. there are 20mm thick 120mm Yate Loons (simply slim version), which could help too..
    @Mescalamba: Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah, I am using a TRUEcu with it, just wanted to try the Megahalems. You can fit a 25mm thick fan with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast