Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Silverstone Raven

Xtreme Cruncher

Post The new Silverstone Raven

Here's the new Raven from Silverstone.
    Some pics:

Unlike most of the Silverstone cases, this case is made out of steel. Despite this feature, the full-sized tower case weights only 15kg. There are two models of the Raven, one with side Window, and the other one doesn't.

The right side:

The inside:

What's special about this case is the motherboard tray is turned 90 degrees clockwise. Making the expansion slots, the I/O panel, and the exhaust fan facing upwards. According to Silverstone, this case supports expansion cards that are up to 12 inches. It also supports E-ATX motherboard

The cooling system consists two 180mm fans and one 120mm fan. With all the 180mm fan placed at the bottom of the case for intake and the 120mm fan exhausting the air.

The Top:

The back:

The power supply is placed in the bottom of the case.

The front panel:

looking foward to see this case on the market
    for more info, go to http://silverstonetek.com/raven/rv01.php
    Last edited by lkiller123; 12-28-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: website

I am Xtreme
    Interior design is awesome. But, and a big but, exterior design is absolutely awful. And the steel interior makes it look so cheap compared to aluminum. Hopefully they take the design and make a stylish minimalistic case.

I am Xtreme
    lol this case is haunting this forum... i stoped counting the threads... but there are at least 10+ threads about this case.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Interior design is awesome. But, and a big but, exterior design is absolutely awful. And the steel interior makes it look so cheap compared to aluminum. Hopefully they take the design and make a stylish minimalistic case.
    indeed, give ma a case with that interior and a TJ09 classic look and i ditch my TJ09.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    First case I've ever seen with the expansion ports sticking out of the top instead of the back. I wonder if thats more of a PITA or actually useful. I'd think it would look fairly ugly with all those cables coming out of the top.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Im just not diggin' the outside

Xtreme Member
    Teh ugly.
    i5 3570k @ 4.4 | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 @ 1866 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M | EVGA GTX 680 SC | Xigmatek Night Hawk | Seasonic X-850 | Win8 64 | Dell 2407 | Lian Li PC-V700

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    First case I've ever seen with the expansion ports sticking out of the top instead of the back. I wonder if thats more of a PITA or actually useful. I'd think it would look fairly ugly with all those cables coming out of the top.
    Looking at the picture you will notice that it appears the top panel slides out to give access to the ports while also hiding the ugly mess of cables that would be showing at the top. The cables than run out the back end towards the top of the case.

This has to be right up there with one of the ugliest cases I've ever seen. Are people really still buying cases that look like this? I realize it was a big market about 6+ years ago when the general public was falling in love with Alienware style cases, but at this point I thought this "fade" had run its course and the market had evaporated significantly. I mean, it seems like even a lot of the hardcore gamers are moving to more conservative designs and spending the money on a case with features that matter...built quality, air flow, space (if you watercool), and features. Lian-Li, CoolerMaster, and Antec seem to be the market leaders and, besides Lian-Li which always made rather conservative cases, Both CoolerMaster and Antec seem to be moving away from the crazy designs. It seems to be working to since I'd be willing to bet they are probably making up a LARGE chunk of the aftermarket case purchases.

This case makes me rethink how i feel about Silverstone. Their cases are always expensive and I've read some rather poor reviews on many of their cases. Even the most expensive and famous TJ07 I've seen criticized for using thinner aluminum than the TJ06 and in the process creating a good deal of vibration. Not something I think should be an issue with a case that cost that much. The one thing I did always like about Silverstone was that they seemed to have excellent design. After seeing this case I can't even say that I guess.

EDIT: Furthmore, going to there site, the raven mouse is another abomination. That retarded looking mechanism on the side has to make it completely uncomfortable and impractical. All that for something like 3D Flip. If you REALLY want something for 3D Flip (or a similar button on the side) it should be done like the Logitech Revolution. So simple and comfortable. I personally use that button for zoom though. Also the screen, although interesting, seems gimmicky and a bit useless. I realize it is a OLED display and probably doesn't use much battery life, but I'd still rather NOT have something gaudy looking like that. The DPI control is interesting, but I think instead of cluttering a mouse like that, just produce some good software to display/change settings via the computer screen. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by JayG30; 12-28-2008 at 11:55 PM.

+1 on 'ugliness'
    Looks like somebody said to Silverstone : 'Redesign' the Coolermaster 830 using only a Samurai Sword !
    I can cut myself quite easily on the inside of my Case, already, without buying one that'll do the job, everytime I move it !
    (A bit OTT using the Pythagarus Theory, I think)

Cheers
    Fredthered
    Last edited by Fredthered; 12-29-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I love the internal design, but my god that exterior is absolutely ghastly..
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Member

Rant

Today's cases are more and more poorly designed. I saw how Lian Li, Coolermaster and Silverstone are cutting corners with their new cases. Looks like some case manufacturers aren't listening to what their customers want and are putting the accent on flashy interior and exterior design and not practical and tried and tested design concepts.

Xtreme Member
    i really like it! its different and looks cool. remind me

Nice One !

Fredthered

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    ^ LOL! That about sums it up...

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

it reminds me of USA aircraft f-117 And I like sharp edges
    ga x38 dq6
    scythe mugen with s-flex at q6600 g0
    hd 5870
    2x2gb khx 6400
    wd 500aaks
    corsair hx620
    cm stacker 830 black chilled by scythe kamakaze
    samsung 226bw
    altec lansing mx5021
    razer deathadder at roccat sense
    natural ergonomic 4000
    wacom bamboo fun

Xtreme Member
    The sharp edges and stuff are okay but not really my style. Waht is a liet down is the interior, they could have at least put a lick of paint on the bare metal
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

Xtreme Member
    I really hate the outside. It looks like those crappy steel and plastic transformer-esque cases.

heat
    TJ07-Ultra 1200W-E8400-Rampage Formula-4870-4gb G.skill-74gb Raptor-500gb Seagate-Windows 7

Apogee GTZ-XSPC Razor-DDC3.2 w/ XSPC top-PA120.3-MCR220-EK 250 res

I am Xtreme
    Not wild about the aesthetics, but like the idea of having cables at the top.

The angular features is sort of a throw-back to the 80's. Since everything old is new again after about 25 years, I suppose we were due. I have to say it looks cool though but then I still think the Lamborghini Countach and F-117 are still cool looking. OK, maybe a bad example because they're classics, but you know what I mean. Maybe I'm just an 80's kind of guy. Scary thought.

But I have to go with the people who put substance over form - unless you're really going to go all out and make it more of a sculpture than a computer case.

But putting the ports on top I think is brilliant. It's one of those 'why didn't i think of that' moments. The only problem might be that mobos are laid out to have the internal cables close to the drives. For SATA cables it probably won't be an issue, but I don't know about IDE and *cough* floppy cables.

I'm guessing that the top rear cover will hide the ports and give you a clean look

Xtreme Cruncher
    the main reason for them to put the backside of the motherboard facing upwards is cooling. But I think that will save us tons of time and, well, decrease the use of flashlight

I think this is kind of badass looking. Like they out NZXT'ed NZXT. Hope the cooling is excellent. Look forward to some reviews.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DstroyAllMnstrs View Post
    Look forward to some reviews.
    http://www.themodbrothers.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=307

I think this is the only person who has had an extensive hands-on with this case and written a review.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really like it.

Xtreme Addict
    Very interesting design, not enough fans for me .

Xtreme Cruncher
    honestly, it's a hate-it-or-love-it design :P

Xtreme Addict
    looks like transformers to me ...

Nice link, JayG30
    While I can appreciate the theory of rotating the m/b by 90 deg. to take advantage of the Laws of Physics (warm air rising, and all that) I'm not keen on the idea of all the I/O cables taking an abrupt 90 deg turn, at the connectors themselves, to pass through the : rear cable guide/lifting handle, thus putting otherwise uneccessary strain on them.
    What are you supposed to do if you have an : adaptor
    Say a DVI - HDMI or a DVI - VGA ? which will only make the matter worse.
    Together with actually having to vet your m/b, prior to purchase to make sure your bundled cables reach, makes this a very dubious buy. ('Include me out'... as Sam Goldwyn, once said)

Cheers
    Fredthered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast