Thread: can i paint on anoidised alu?

can i paint on anoidised alu?

hi i got a pc70 here and qwas wondering can i paint this/ powdercoat it as it is or will i have to sand it down?

i found this thread:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...um-157007.html

but i also found alot of other threads that say it cant be done. soo confused any one painted a anoidised lain li case?

Engineering The Xtreme
    Lian-li anodizing can be powdercoated on without any surface prep. if your spray painting it then obviously you still need to sand/prime all surfaces for the most durable finish you can get with spray paint (still not very durable )

Won't powder coating bend the thin 1 mm. alu during the baking process?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
    I've had lots of powder coating done - its fine
    Hark children of the Resolution !!

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
    I have had it happen at times, but it is not difficult to re straighten it if it happens

Xtreme Addict
    I have lian li pc g70, similar to yours. I just stripped mine down last week and was going to paint insides black. I practiced on some hard drive cages that I dont use, I tried +/- sanding, +/- primer, and a several different types of paint for alum finishes. But 2 things, the paint job looked mediocre and chipped/scratched very easy... like SNiiPE DoGG says, not very durable, although may be a reflection of my painting skills as well

I would suggest getting it powder coated, but if you do try sanding/painting practice on something you wont be using first. My next case will be powder coated black from place I order from, but after spending 2 days failing to get paint right, I was too impatient, so ended up using black laminate from home depot to cover all visible alum parts, looks much better than my paint did on the unused hard drive cage, but wont look as nice as powder coating the insides...some paint with some texture looks better, imo as well. But the flat paint or semi-gloss or gloss, or even tried beaten metal, just did not look very good, compared to some powder coated paint jobs.

But black laminate paneling did not turn out to bad, here is what looks like, lights off and light on.