Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hailea HC-500 or HC-1000 Any Good For Water Chilling?

Xtreme Member

Hailea HC-500 or HC-1000 Any Good For Water Chilling?

If I'm wanting to cool:

Intel i7 overclocked
    nVidia GTX295 full-cover block
    X58 Northbridge
    X58 Southbridge
    X58 MOSFETS/PWM

Will the Hailea HC-500 or HC-1000 do the job?
    Why, or why not?
    Is there a better option?

Does anyone know what would be the heat generated in watts and what horsepower compressor would be suitable?

Links:
    GERMAN
    http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...capacity-.html
    http://www.zockon.de/testlabor/567/H...uachiller.html
    ENGLISH
    http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Xtreme Mentor
    hey sorry about not getting back to you, im not sure to be honest. I can't find a price on the 790w version, but it looks like it holds a overclocked q6600 at only 34c or something in which i would say its not worth it. but i wish i could find a chart, like "xxx watts at YY temperature" if you could find something like that it would tell you exactly if its good for you.

Cheers!
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana_1911 View Post
    If I'm wanting to cool:

Intel i7 overclocked
    X58 Northbridge
    X58 Southbridge
    X58 MOSFETS/PWM

Will the Hailea HC-500 or HC-1000 do the job?
    Why, or why not?
    Is there a better option?

Does anyone know what would be the heat generated in watts and what horsepower compressor would be suitable?

Links:
    GERMAN
    http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...capacity-.html
    http://www.zockon.de/testlabor/567/H...uachiller.html
    ENGLISH
    Answer is ........HC1000 will cool everything in my sig to below 12 degrees C. Beyond that point, condensation raises it's ugly head. HC500 will only bring it down to 20 degrees under full load.

It actually works much better if you turn off all your radiator fans. I now run normal watercooling when doing mundane stuff, CPU temp is 40 degrees C @ 4.2GHz, but turn on the HC1000 when I start gaming and raise the QX9650 to 4.4GHz with temps at 17degrees C.

Hailea thermostat is set to 17 degrees to get this. Whatever you set at the thermostat is what the water chills to.

It's a big sucker though and very load. needs to be in another room or put into an acoustically damped and well ventilated enclosure.

Hope this helps

Putting the same Chiller into a Rampage 2 Extreme, Core I7 extreme, Tri GTX280 ( all watercooled ) system next week and confidently expect to see the same results. Dual 4870X2's actually produce more heat then Tri GTX280's

Edit:- I tried the HC150 and it cooled the water down only 5 degrees, so do not waste your money on anything less that the HC500. This is a minimum standard if you are cooling big Graphics horsepower.

I previously used phasechange cooling but wanted a system that does not play up every second day due to condensation issues. this setup lets your precisely adjust temps to suit your heat load without the hassle of worrying about condensation screwing up your hardware.
    Last edited by markost; 01-21-2009 at 05:32 AM.
    Core 2 Quad Q9650
    Rampage Extreme
    Corsair PC2 1800 4 gig
    Cooler Master 1100w (M/B - Video)
    OCZ 850w Modstreem (everything else)
    2 x Gainward ATI 4870 X2 - 2048MB
    2 x 60 Vertex SSD's (RAID 0) - System
    2 x 120 Vertex SSD's (RAID 0) - Data
    2 x 120 Vertex SSD's (RAID 0) - Backup
    Hailea HC1000 Chiller
    Everything under Chilled Water - 18 Degrees C

http://www.markostnetworking.com/pc_ref.htm

Xtreme Addict
    HC-500A review

Despite lots of guys at XS don't like Hailea's because in terms of xtreme chillers because they hardly can go subzero, the Hailea's are still fun toys for cooling your hardware better then a few big radiators ever could do. Even the HC500 should be enough for your needs.

Markost: How much temperature gain do you get when you turn on the chiller? (cpu temp)
    Last edited by ownage; 01-21-2009 at 05:07 AM.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    HC-500A review

Despite lots of guys at XS don't like Hailea's because in terms of xtreme chillers because they hardly can go subzero, the Hailea's are still fun toys for cooling your hardware better then a few big radiators ever could do. Even the HC500 should be enough for your needs.

Markost: How much temperature gain do you get when you turn on the chiller? (cpu temp)
    Normal watercooling gave me 40 degrees C CPU temp ( idle 4.2GHZ ) at 24 degrees ambient. All temps measured via "Core Temp" 0.99.3

HC1000 cools it down to whatever I set on the Chillers display regardless of overclock ( currently 4.4GHz ) and that's with both video cards at the same temp ( again at idle ).

If I set the chiller to 17 degrees, my CPU temp at idle is 17 degrees !..........Prime 95 ( In place large FFT's ) take CPU temps up to 48 - 50 at 4.4 GHz

The HC1000 holds those water temps no problems at all at full load.

I've had my run at extreme temps ( sub zero )....too much hassle. I use my machine for business and it has to be 100% reliable 100% of the time.

Although, a QX9650 at 4.4GHz should gain entry into the lower end of "Xtreme"
    Last edited by markost; 01-21-2009 at 05:45 AM.
    Core 2 Quad Q9650
    Rampage Extreme
    Corsair PC2 1800 4 gig
    Hailea HC1000 Chiller

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    Answer is ........HC1000 will cool everything in my sig to below 12 degrees C. Beyond that point, condensation raises it's ugly head. HC500 will only bring it down to 20 degrees under full load.

It actually works much better if you turn off all your radiator fans. I now run normal watercooling when doing mundane stuff, CPU temp is 40 degrees C @ 4.2GHz, but turn on the HC1000 when I start gaming and raise the QX9650 to 4.4GHz with temps at 17degrees C.

Hailea thermostat is set to 17 degrees to get this. Whatever you set at the thermostat is what the water chills to.

It's a big sucker though and very load. needs to be in another room or put into an acoustically damped and well ventilated enclosure.

Hope this helps

Putting the same Chiller into a Rampage 2 Extreme, Core I7 extreme, Tri GTX280 ( all watercooled ) system next week and confidently expect to see the same results. Dual 4870X2's actually produce more heat then Tri GTX280's

Edit:- I tried the HC150 and it cooled the water down only 5 degrees, so do not waste your money on anything less that the HC500. This is a minimum standard if you are cooling big Graphics horsepower.

I previously used phasechange cooling but wanted a system that does not play up every second day due to condensation issues. this setup lets your precisely adjust temps to suit your heat load without the hassle of worrying about condensation screwing up your hardware.

Hi there

Finally found someone using Hailea chiller & I've got some questions.

I've bought the HC500 after returning the HC1000 unit (initially purchased)after I almost got divorced from my wife after she saw the size of that thing & totally refused to have that in our apartment.

I haven't installed it yet cause I'm waiting for some fittings. After seeing the flow requirements (2000l/h) for the HC500 chiller & checking pump options + flow restrictions, etc. I still have some doubts:

I'll be cooling my actual parts which are:

Core i7 965 : Swiftech GTZ
    Rampage II : Swiftech NB MAX
    SLI BFG GTX280HC2O: DD Tieton

For the pump:

The shop which I purchased the chiller from, recommended the following pumps for the chiller instead of my original choice of 2x D5 Brasstop in series:

2x DDC 1+(4.7m 600l/h) assembled in EK Dual Turbo Top

The shop confirmed that their testing with the chiller showed much higher flow with Dual DDC 1plus than with double D5

Other: 1/2 ID Tygon tubing

I've been watercooling for years but this chiller is something new for me so my questions are:

What pump combination have you found to be ehough to push the water through various blocks but mantaining the minimum chiller flow rates to prevent ice formation on the chiller outlet?

Is there any issue in using a normal size res (Koolance 200mm)? I know some people recommend to use a 30 litre res in order to have enough cool water to be able to switch off the chiller for some time, but at this moment I'm not ready to convince my wife to add yet another huge ugly piece of plastic in our house.

Is it necessary to insulate the tubes to/from the chiller? At what temperature delta have you seen condensation?

Any quality problems with the Hailea chiller during your use period?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rodriguez; 01-25-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Vista 64bit
    Core i7 975 EE (watercooled)
    EVGA Classified 759 (watercooled)
    Corsair AX1200
    12GB Corsair GT 2000Mhz 7-9-7
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    4x OCZ Vertex 120Gb RAID0 480Gb
    2x WD Vraptor 300 Raid 1 300GB
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    Koolance CPU360/Koolance MB/Hailea HC1000 chiller
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000
    Logotech G940 Flight system
    TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

Xtreme Cruncher
    the question of insulation is easy.... if you want condensation, dont insulate. lol

if your looking to chill below ambient, you will always get some sort of condensation. ,unless there is 0% humidity in your room, witch it isnt,
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Rodriguez, please dont take any offense to my prevous post...

i was just trying to make sure you understand about when condensation happens. for most practical applications, condensation happens when air is in contact with anything that is below its dew point. the higher the humidity in the air, the closer to ambient condensation will happen.

for example, if you have air at 100% humidity, condensation will happen within a few degrees colder than the air.

if your air is at 0% humidity, witch is almost impossible in your house, condensation might happen, but only at very cold temps.

i hope this helps in explaining about problems with condensation

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    Hi there

Is there any issue in using a normal size res (Koolance 200mm)? I know some people recommend to use a 30 litre res in order to have enough cool water to be able to switch off the chiller for some time, but at this moment I'm not ready to convince my wife to add yet another huge ugly piece of plastic in our house.

Is it necessary to insulate the tubes to/from the chiller? At what temperature delta have you seen condensation?

Any quality problems with the Hailea chiller during your use period?

Thanks
    I'm actually putting the chiller outside my house and running a couple of insulated hoses through the wall into a holding tank ( approx 80 litres ) and then into the machine. I'll have a Laing DCC1 pump on the Computer side of the holding tank and a larger volume pump on the Hailea side of the tank to bring the flow rate closer to manufacturer specs. Should be about a week away till it is all done. Will post back with results and photo's when it is all done.

Making the holding tank out of 19mm clear acrylic. Using the tank will allow to have higher volume/flow rate for the Chiller but keep lower rates for the components to minimise the chance of leakage.
    Core 2 Quad Q9650
    Rampage Extreme
    Corsair PC2 1800 4 gig
    Hailea HC1000 Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
    Rodriguez, please dont take any offense to my prevous post...

i was just trying to make sure you understand about when condensation happens. for most practical applications, condensation happens when air is in contact with anything that is below its dew point. the higher the humidity in the air, the closer to ambient condensation will happen.

for example, if you have air at 100% humidity, condensation will happen within a few degrees colder than the air.

if your air is at 0% humidity, witch is almost impossible in your house, condensation might happen, but only at very cold temps.

i hope this helps in explaining about problems with condensation

No offense at all but also no new enlightment on condensation

I'm fully aware of how condensation forms but I was asking for a general view on real world application with this chiller & ambient temp, cause I've got 5 meters of tube insulation which I don't really think will be necessary taking into account the chiller cooling power & the components I will be cooling,

So if my water temps will be around 18-20 Cº & my ambient temp is 24 Cº 35% humidity I don't really think there will be any sort of condensation & I'll skip the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by markost Quote

I'm actually putting the chiller outside my house and running a couple of insulated hoses through the wall into a holding tank ( approx 80 litres ) and then into the machine. I'll have a Laing DCC1 pump on the Computer side of the holding tank and a larger volume pump on the Hailea side of the tank to bring the flow rate closer to manufacturer specs. Should be about a week away till it is all done. Will post back with results and photo's when it is all done.

Making the holding tank out of 19mm clear acrylic. Using the tank will allow to have higher volume/flow rate for the Chiller but keep lower rates for the components to minimise the chance of leakage.

I've done all the assembly as per the following pics only to find out later on when leak testing that one of the new DDC's 1Plus mounted on EK Dual Turbo Top is dead I'll have another one on Thursday. I'm still leak testing but with only one pump in operation. Most probably I will have to leak test again with both pumps to see if the higher pressure causes any leaks. I haven't turned on the chiller yet

Something really strange happens, after filling & refilling the loop I left the pump running & the res fill port open, but as soon as I switched off the pump after 30 minutes operation, the res immediatelly overflowed & poured out like 1/2 litre of fluid with high pressure that rose about 20cm up into the air. So q
    when I have the pump turned off I cannot open the res or it will overflow.

Most probably it's something really basic that I'm missing out of, but right now I cannot see the reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1271369.JPG 
Views:	8460 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	93566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1271370.JPG 
Views:	8554 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	93567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1271376.JPG 
Views:	8301 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	93568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1271377.JPG 
Views:	7988 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	93569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1271382.JPG 
Views:	8113 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	93570  

Last edited by Rodriguez; 01-27-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Vista 64bit
    Corsair AX1200
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000

Xtreme Cruncher
    hey, np at all, i just thought you were really new to it, thats all...

btw, nice looking rig youve got.

i am also about to purchase hailea 1000, just for fun. for 24/7 use compressor based cooling solutions are too loud. I looked all over the place and halilea units seem to be half the price of compareble units, are they really that bad?
    New order:
    Msi big bang 2, 4x 7970 1500w p supply. I7 4x2 mem

Older fun builds:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214714
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=251456

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    i am also about to purchase hailea 1000, just for fun. for 24/7 use compressor based cooling solutions are too loud. I looked all over the place and halilea units seem to be half the price of compareble units, are they really that bad?
    With SLI GTX280 OC 730/1650/2600, Core i7 965 4Ghz, RampageII NBMAX, I'm getting 19-20 Cº with HC500.

The chiller works well, but.... it's very noisy (thinking about late night...), I'm going to replace it with a HC1000 unit & make a ventilated box for it with sound dampening materials.
    Vista 64bit
    Corsair AX1200
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000

Xtreme Member
    How loud is the Hailea unit exactly?

Does anyone know what HP compressor or what brand of compressor it uses?

Would a Danfoss 1/3HP NL11F be quieter?

Xtreme Member
    My Hailea 1500 keeps my 50 liter reservoir @ 16`c
    So enough cold water for my components in sig.
    Got 1 pump from hailea to reservoir and 1 pump from reservoir to pc.
    Hope this come in handy.
    Under 16`c condensation occurs in summer and that';s something you definatly don't want.
    Or you should insulate everything with arcaflex.
    Got the hailea in the room next to where my pc stands, sitting next to it is to much noise and to much heat !
    QX9650 @ 4450 mhz
    Asus Striker II Extreme 790i
    4 GB Corsair Dominator 1800 @ 1870 8-8-8-20 1T 1.8v
    3 x Asus GTX280 TRI-SLI 810/1647/1296
    Asus Xonar DX
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1500 W
    Dell 30" 3007WFP
    Logitech G7, G15, G25
    Watercooling Hailea 1500 chiller, EK, Swiftech, D-Tek
    Dual Prometeia site

Rodrigues, when you say load, what exactly do you mean?
    When i tested my TEC chiller i ran prime95 small and furmark stability xtreme test at the same time for 2 hours (and got temps in the 20s cause room temp went up).
    19-20 water temps, right?

Justfire,
    is 16C the lowest it can handle or is it just the temp you feel comfortable with?
    What pump are you using?
    have you tried some serious load testing (like i mensioned)?

and how in the world did you get 3 280s to run at 810/1620!!!? i cant get to run a single card t over 783! i tryed 2 (one in my sig and one evga) and 756 seem to be the limit for both(even overvolted to 1.3). luck of the draw? cap mod? what is your secret?
    New order:

Older fun builds:

Rodrigues, when you say load, what exactly do you mean?
    When i tested my TEC chiller i ran prime95 small and furmark stability xtreme test at the same time for 2 hours (and got temps in the 20s cause room temp went up).
    19-20 water temps, right?

Justfire,
    is 16C the lowest it can handle or is it just the temp you feel comfortable with?
    What pump are you using?

and how in the world did you get 3 280s to run at 810/1620!!!? i cant get to run a single card t over 783! i tryed 2 (one in my sig and one evga) and 756 seem to be the limit for both(even overvolted to 1.3). luck of the draw? cap mod? what is your secret?
    Yeah, water temp goes to 20 Cº even if the temp is set for 17 Cº. This was with Furmark 1600x1200 AAx4 & Prime95 Small FTT running at once. CPU maxes on 45-47 Cº (4Ghz with HT on & vQPI 1.58v) & GPU's at 41 Cº

It clearly shows that that's the limit for the HC500 (or AT 1500) or maybe it's my setup as I'm using a standard Koolance 200mm res & double Laing DDC+ in the same loop, instead of the big reservoir & separate pumps.

But personally I don't feel temps would get any better with this last setup, I think the only benefit (& big one) is that the chiller wouldn't be running constantly.
    Vista 64bit
    Corsair AX1200
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000

thx for the info. i'm guessing hc-1000 is the way to go for me (coming in a week or so). i have not found a hailea 1500 anywhere.
    also i was looking at some other manufacturers who offer more powerful chillers (aqua medic has a 3hp monstrousity) but the prices are just way out there.
    i have one more Q though, the units are said to feature a titanium heat exchanger, does id play well with copper, aluminum, nickel, or i need anti corrosin stuff?
    New order:

Older fun builds:

Xtreme Member
    Justfire,
    As i said , it's the lowest i can run whole year on (including summer 30-35`c) without condensation
    What pump are you using?
    2 Swiftech 655 pumps
    First loop chiller->reservoir->pump->chiller
    Second loop reservoir->pump->cpu->nb->vga1->vga2->vga3->reservoir

Load testing ?
    I run my system in my signature 24/7 on that settings, with high voltage and high clock enough load for me

I use D-Tek unisinks on them, with 16'c chilled water, soft v-modded 1.35v
    Stressed temps 36`c on the cores, and off course a lot of luck as always.
    But i can say i'm very happy with my Hailea, especialy on my qx9650 overclock, definatly worth it
    I answered the questions in bold above.
    QX9650 @ 4450 mhz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Dell 30" 3007WFP
    Logitech G7, G15, G25
    Dual Prometeia site

thx for the info. i'm guessing hc-1000 is the way to go for me (coming in a week or so). i have not found a hailea 1500 anywhere.
    also i was looking at some other manufacturers who offer more powerful chillers (aqua medic has a 3hp monstrousity) but the prices are just way out there.
    i have one more Q though, the units are said to feature a titanium heat exchanger, does id play well with copper, aluminum, nickel, or i need anti corrosin stuff?
    The shop that sells them in europe is Aquatuning.de & they "rename" the model with their own little title on their web:

Hailea HC500 790W= Ultra Titan 1500
    Hailea HC1000 1650W= Ultra Titan 2000

That's why you see people use different names for the same thing

I used 4L Fuid XP+ together with 1L demineralized water
    Vista 64bit
    Corsair AX1200
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000

Xtreme Member
    Because i got quite a few requests for pictures of my setup, here they are
    Thumbs are clickable.

The 50 liter reservoir:

PVC

Isolation

Tops with barbs

Water and coolant

Chiller outside the room

Pumps and top of reservoir

My 3 puppy's

My system installed

QX9650 @ 4450 mhz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Dell 30" 3007WFP
    Logitech G7, G15, G25
    Dual Prometeia site

nice setup. i never saw those WBs, they just WC the core and the rest (vregs, etc) is just cooled by an aircooled heatsink right?
    damn, i still cant believe those clocks on the gpu! You lucky bastard :-). I tried over 1.5V for the gpu (same softmod) and still no luck ...
    New order:

Older fun builds:

Xtreme Member
    nice setup. i never saw those WBs, they just WC the core and the rest (vregs, etc) is just cooled by an aircooled heatsink right?
    damn, i still cant believe those clocks on the gpu! You lucky bastard :-). I tried over 1.5V for the gpu (same softmod) and still no luck ...
    Get yourself a D-tek set
    It's the shaderclock that holds overclocks down, and the shaderclock is very sensitive to heat, so good cooling is more important than voltage.
    At standard 1.19v i ran my cards 774/1593/1296
    At 1.5v i ran my cards 828/1701/1296, but after 5 minutes artifacts apeared, shadercore getting too hot.
    So back to 1647 on the shader and thanks to that, max core clock to set is limited at 810.
    QX9650 @ 4450 mhz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Dell 30" 3007WFP
    Logitech G7, G15, G25
    Dual Prometeia site

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana_1911 View Post
    How loud is the Hailea unit exactly?

Does anyone know what HP compressor or what brand of compressor it uses?

Would a Danfoss 1/3HP NL11F be quieter?

It uses the "highly acclaimed" Hauyi 1/2HP compressor, check this gallery of pics & the google trans. for this dated review

http://66.102.1.100/translate_c?hl=e...Xpn2v114lJ2kLg

I can calculate around 45/48 db when the compressor powers up, but right after it backs down a bit.

Next week I will receive the 1000 unit with 1Hp compressor, surely this unit will cope with the heat load of my components at a setting of 17Cº constant
    Vista 64bit
    Corsair AX1200
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    It uses the "highly acclaimed" Hauyi 1/2HP compressor, check this gallery of pics & the google trans. for this dated review

http://66.102.1.100/translate_c?hl=e...Xpn2v114lJ2kLg

I can calculate around 45/48 db when the compressor powers up, but right after it backs down a bit.

Next week I will receive the 1000 unit with 1Hp compressor, surely this unit will cope with the heat load of my components at a setting of 17Cº constant
    You'd better invested your money in a large reservoir, my opinion.
    Hailea 500 keeps my reservoir at constant 16-17`c,when setup is stressed, 2minutes on, 5 minutes off.
    It's just that 5 litre of fluid can't buffer the heat your setup gives.
    With a reservoir you have a buffer, warm water mixes with cold, so less to cool.
    I guess your hailea 1000 still keeps running and have a hard time cooling the fluid.
    Those chillers were made for aquariums with 150-200 ltr water.
    Let us know how your Hailea 1000 performs, 1hp is serious chilling
    QX9650 @ 4450 mhz
    Asus Xonar DX
    Dell 30" 3007WFP
    Logitech G7, G15, G25
    Dual Prometeia site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast