Thread: Need help with cruncher network config please WCGers

Xtreme Cruncher

Question Need help with cruncher network config please WCGers

Hi all,

I know I can ask this somewhere else but I'd rather ask my fellow crunchers.

So the story so far:

I have an ADSL/router that I use for internet access and wireless for the MacBook connected to a gigabit switch. So all my computers were wired and setup fine till I got into crunching.......

I tried to add my crunchers to the network using Ethernet over Power and all was sorta fine until they died yesterday. I think only one died but needless to say that after 3 weeks of use and one already dying I need to get away from Ethernet over power.

As I am renting I cant install cat cables into the walls rough if I could I would. So my question is how do I get my crunchers in my garage connected to the net.

My current plan is to get a wireless router and use it as an access point. Connecting it to the wired network and then using a usb wireless adapter on one of the crunchers to share the wireless link between the PCs.

Any ideas?

I will head down to the shops later tomorrow to pick something up so please let me know what you would suggest.

cheers in advance,
    emu

Xtreme Cruncher
    You could throw a wireless card into one cruncher, makes sure it has two NIC's, and use a switch for the other crunchers. Share the wireless internet connection over the Ethernet switch.

That's what I'm doing.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

I am Xtreme
    The gateway idea sounds good but I've never set one up myself.

You would have the wireless router hang off of the modem and then hang the switch off of that. That's how I have things set up - in some cases with switches running off of other switches. Then I guess you would connect all of remote pc's to a switch and have one of them serve as a gateway.

But that sounds a little funky to me - even if it would work. I think the typical way of going about it would be to have a wireless bridge in the remote location linked (wirelessly) to the router. Then hang a switch off of that and run cable to each pc. Get at least an 8 port switch since you'll probably want some room to grow. Uh, maybe a 16-porter. I keep forgetting who I'm talking to in this section.

Something like this should do the job. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything but linksys or maybe Trendnet. You should be able to get the manual from the Linksys site to see what is involved in setting it up.

Bonus - it's ooooh so pretty.

(this is my favorite picture because the antennae are always so hard to find )

But if you really want to have some fun, you should mount all of the remote crunchers on an riding mower. Then run an ethernet wire out of a window and drive the whole farm up to the window every couple of days to up/download. That would be the easiest thing to do.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I have just installed a wireless router/modem so I could get rid of one cable that was too short to run under the floor or around the walls. Honestly I suggest just getting a wireless unit and wireless cards for your systems. Use 802.11g, or n if you have the $$$ and try to stay away from generic components.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the info guys but I just finished it the way that kevinbo03 suggested ie wireless NIC and share the connection with my PCs and atm its working a treat. Just uploaded 2 days worth of WUs to WCG so I should see a surge I hope! More importantly they are back online and the internet is no longer eating my WUs thankyou twilyth

cheers for the help guys and atm I am using a fairly generic 802.11G USB wireless adapter from TP-Link. apart from Vista 64 not accepting the drivers cos they arent Sigged it works a treat in XPx64.

Now back to overclocking and watercooling some of them!

emu

Xtreme Cruncher
    Glad it worked for you!

I'm taking all my older crunchers and maybe one of my quads offline until January 4th because I'll be out of the country, Unfortunately I will have internet and will notice the painful drop.

Fortunately for everyone else, I wont be on here very often!

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks mate.

Hope you are on holidays and not working when overseas!

BTW Redback-5 is almost alive! and Redback 4 is sitting @ a comfy 3.6GHz

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well..... I found the root of the problem! lol I should have known better!

Turns out my all in one router cant hack doing more than two things at once ie ADSL and wireless. Turns out that it was all ok for the first few hours then it raised its ugly head again and wouldnt let the USB wireless adapter reconnect unless I restarted the router.Stuff doing that everyday!

So I splashed out and got me a Netgear draft N wireless router (now I know alot of people bag the crap outta Netgear cos they run hot blah blah blah but for me they have always worked unlike the manufacturer of my ADSL router.

The kit came with a Router and a USB wireless adapter for a decent price and it doesnt run hot! Well needless to say that Netgear dont support this wireless adapter for XP64 so I have it plugged into a Vista install atm and it seems to be sharing the net connection flawllessly. Everytime I stick my head in the garage its flashing its little head off!
    Last edited by emuexport; 01-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Back from the Dead
    Sorry but since when do you need OS support for routers? lol...
    Just fire up the browser, enter router ip, configure how you want it & there you go. You can do that on any windows version, unix, solaris, OSX, whatever.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by emuexport View Post
    Well..... I found the root of the problem! lol I should have known better!

Turns out my all in one router cant hack doing more than two things at once ie ADSL and wireless. Turns out that it was all ok for the first few hours then it raised its ugly head again and wouldnt let the USB wireless adapter reconnect unless I restarted the router.Stuff doing that everyday!

So I splashed out and got me a Netgear draft N wireless router (now I know alot of people bag the crap outta Netgear cos they run hot blah blah blah but for me they have always worked unlike the manufacturer of my ADSL router.

The kit came with a Router and a USB wireless adapter for a decent price and it doesnt run hot! Well needless to say that Netgear dont support this router for XP64 so I have it plugged into a Vista install atm and it seems to be sharing the net connection flawllessly. Everytime I stick my head in the garage its flashing its little head off!
    Netgear is what I use and prefer, no plastic crap.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Sorry but since when do you need OS support for routers? lol...
    Just fire up the browser, enter router ip, configure how you want it & there you go. You can do that on any windows version, unix, solaris, OSX, whatever.
    Sorry mate you are right! No matter how special they make the routers they dont need drivers. It was the USB adapter that needed drivers.

The network config is: ADSL router - Switch - Netgear Wireless Router - USB wireless adapter.

Crunching for Poppabear
    I picked up a couple of Asus pci wireless cards for XP64. They are working great. I moved my crucher to the carport. As of now Realtemp reads 27/28/26/26. Yesterday the highest core was at 22. Once I get the Tpower like I want it it is going out there.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey Lu523,

Are you going to put a wireless card in each cruncher? To avoid single point failure etc?

Crunching for Poppabear
    Quote Originally Posted by emuexport View Post
    Hey Lu523,

Are you going to put a wireless card in each cruncher? To avoid single point failure etc?
    That is my plan. Going to use remote admin for them also.