Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Phenom II 920 & 940 Full Review

Xtreme Addict
    lol Thats the new AMD fan cry, Benchmarks stopped mattering when AMD stopped winning and now the only important thing is gpu limited gaming benches, You could not make it up. Apparently The only important thing for a cpu now is running games on single gpu systems.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    lol Thats the new AMD fan cry, Benchmarks stopped mattering when AMD stopped winning and now the only important thing is gpu limited gaming benches, You could not make it up. Apparently The only important thing for a cpu now is running games on single gpu systems.
    i have never cared for benchmarks. unless you are the kind of person that loves to wake up early in the morning to run super pi 10 times. if amd can hold their own in the gaming benches and stay very close to i7 as it appears they are then thats a winner. for gamers i don't think they are going to pay 4x as much just to get a cpu that nets them an extra 3 fps. get a new video card or oc your video card if you want that. cause sure i like i bench but i only bench to compare how my changes are to what i had before. i don't bench to see if i can beat the competitors product.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    i have never cared for benchmarks. unless you are the kind of person that loves to wake up early in the morning to run super pi 10 times. if amd can hold their own in the gaming benches and stay very close to i7 as it appears they are then thats a winner. for gamers i don't think they are going to pay 4x as much just to get a cpu that nets them an extra 3 fps. get a new video card or oc your video card if you want that. cause sure i like i bench but i only bench to compare how my changes are to what i had before. i don't bench to see if i can beat the competitors product.

Sorry, I did not relize that you could only choose between superpi and gaming.

Xtreme Member
    since when 1680*1050 with max details are cpu limited or sth?

there will be no difference if i used 2*GTX260 216sp,the fps gap may be greater(because of more fps) but the actual percentage will be the same

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    Sorry, I did not relize that you could only choose between superpi and gaming.
    is 3d mark any better? do you get entertainment out of that? how about sandra? are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? i thought i made my point very clear and super pi was just an example.

Xtreme Cruncher
    If by "benches",some of you consider running superPi,wprime,pifast,everest built-in "tests","sisoftsandra" and similar ,then yeah these are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    You can marvel at the results that mean jack sh*t since they represent no real world application workload,just a hypothetical/theoretical and uarchitecture tuned programs with zero practical value.

Give me real world a/v compression/decompression,give me archiving of files,give me Maya/Lightwave/3D Studio results,give me gaming at resolutions end user actually use(to eliminate GPU bottleneck use SLI/CF if needed!),give me compile times with proper optimizations for each uarchitecture,give me data on how well I/O is done on the platforms tested(CPU usage of SB devices,sata/IDE and USB performance),give me power draw at the wall socket in idle and full load,give me temperatures in idle and load,give me ratio of perf/$ of the platform tested at the end of the review,give me brake down of numbers which would say which system excels in which type of real world workload.This is what matters,not some pathetic list of "benches"(what a stupid word btw..) that never had nor will ever represent a real world performance of one CPU.
    Last edited by informal; 12-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    If by "benches",some of you consider running superPi,wprime,pifast,everest built-in "tests","sisoftsandra" and similar ,then yeah these are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    You can marvel at the results that mean jack sh*t since they represent no real world application workload,just a hypothetical/theoretical and uarchitecture tuned programs with zero practical value.

Give me real world a/v compression/decompression,give me archiving of files,give me Maya/Lightwave/3D Studio results,give me gaming at resolutions end user actually use(to eliminate GPU bottleneck use SLI/CF if needed!),give me compile times with proper optimizations for each uarchitecture,give me data on how well I/O is done on the platforms tested(CPU usage of SB devices,sata/IDE and USB performance),give me power draw at the wall socket in idle and full load,give me temperatures in idle and load,give me ratio of perf/$ of the platform tested at the end of the review,give me brake down of numbers which would say which system excels in which type of real world workload.This is what matters,not some pathetic list of "benches"(what a stupid word btw..) that never had nor will ever represent a real world performance of one CPU.
    Lets say you are correct(but here in XS does USB performance really matters? )

I can give all the hardware.
    Do you know how many weeks you will be in front of a monitor watching fps,mb/s etc?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverClocker_gr View Post
    thanks for this real world app (I use x264 for all my encoding jobs ) btw it shows a very similar perf between Yorkfield and Deneb.

Can you run this another encoding bench (HD Windows Media)?

http://www.rwlabs.com/category.php?page=wme

And 7-zip benchmark? (it's free and I think a very common used app, at least it's my all day archiving prog)

Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PetNorth View Post
    thanks for this real world app (I use x264 for all my encoding jobs ) btw it shows a very similar perf between Yorkfield and Deneb.

Can you run this another encoding bench (HD Windows Media)?

http://www.rwlabs.com/category.php?page=wme

And 7-zip benchmark? (it's free and I think a very common used app, at least it's my all day archiving prog)

Thanks.
    guys, i dont have that much time sorry

Xtreme Cruncher
    Lets say you are correct(but here in XS does USB performance really matters? )

I can give all the hardware.
    Do you know how many weeks you will be in front of a monitor watching fps,mb/s etc?
    Yes,i know it would be many weeks.That's what differentiate poor reviews with superPi/wprime/sisoftsandra/everest/crysisBenchTool/WiCBuiltINtool from the good ones.The good ones are remembered for long time and linked numerous times while the bad ones done in 1 day are forgotten after I close my browser tab/window.

Xtreme Member
    so,if you think that this review took me 1 day.....close your damn browser and don't open it again

Xtreme Member
    guys, i dont have that much time sorry
    come on they are quick tests

Xtreme Cruncher
    so,if you think that this review took me 1 day.....close your damn browser and don't open it again
    Look i told you what i think about "benches" you used.They are lame and not representing real world apps(apart games and newly added x264 HD encoding Benchmark).I said I close the tab,so i don't even remember the name of your website anymore(sorry ). Next time do some more testing apart from the useless stuff,maybe more people will find it interesting .If you don't have time,please don't call the thread or the very article "Phenom II 920 + 940 full review vs i7 920 + 940 vs Q9550 vs Q9450 vs Q6600",there is no full review here . Call it "Full preview in synthetic non real world applications" or something similar.
    Last edited by informal; 12-26-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    and i told you that if you find that review useless and its done in a hurry close your tab,delete the history and thanx for your advices

Xtreme Cruncher
    No problem,anytime.Glad I could help you!

PS I closed it after the everest "benches" page

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Yes,i know it would be many weeks.That's what differentiate poor reviews with superPi/wprime/sisoftsandra/everest/crysisBenchTool/WiCBuiltINtool from the good ones.The good ones are remembered for long time and linked numerous times while the bad ones done in 1 day are forgotten after I close my browser tab/window.
    By "the good ones" can also be the ones that agree or fit your perception of what you want the numbers to be. Anand and Tech Report will probably have a huge amount of data but just like when the original Phenom was launched alot of people still didn't like the reviews because it painted a bad picture that certain people did not want to accept. Like it or not this review while being limited does provide a data point to where we should expect Phenom II to perform on "real" benchmarks. Good review guys.

Bottom line guys, phenom2 is available at local stores in Greece. Dont know why that happened here, but on 24th of December anyone could buy that cpu here. So as soon as phenom2 is available to you remember to come back here and post your benchmark scores at stock speed that will show us phenom2 outperform i7 etc. Plus your uber 4+GHz o/c on air.

Conqs to hwbox.gr for this review.

Cheers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    and i told you that if you find that review useless and its done in a hurry close your tab,delete the history and thanx for your advices
    Unfortunately you have not realized that you have insulted the amd cheerleading squad.

You have to understand that EACH AND EVERY SINGLE benchmark Intel wins? That site/review/article/etc,etc,etc, it becomes pointless and useless due to the fact that the amd cheerleading squad has been disappointed because amd showed a article before demonstrating that this so (lame) dragon platform was going to be the i7 killer.

But we all know/knew that's never going to happen, Intel has sent amd back to the stone age and for the 3 years they had the success they had? It wasn't because amd is an innovative company, but due to the fact that Intel banked in an architecture which paid itself off by 100x at the very least.

So, my advice? Next time, lie a little (in favor of another mediocre device) and you'll see how quickly you'll be praised by the amd cheerleading squad. I'd do it.

In the other hand, I see that's a great review, it shows how bad ass the Q6600 still is, despite its age. i7? I'd build one but my rig is more than enough for what I do. And an amd? NEVER, I'd rather go buy an ATARI and play 24/7 with it.
    ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 BIOS 1236 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 8MBL2 @ 3.15GHZ | G.Skill DDR2 800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ & XTreem DDR 800 D9GMH - 4GB RAM Total | 4:5 Ratio @ 350fsbx9 | Tuniq Tower 120 | BFG GeForce 9800GTX | Seagate 2x 250GB Perpendicular HDDs RAID-0 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V | Samsung TOC T240 24" LCD Monitor |

Xtreme Addict
    i don't recall anyone saying that phenom II will outperform i7. i do remember people saying tho that i7 isn't 5x better than phenom II as the price acts like it is.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by qurious63ss View Post
    By "the good ones" can also be the ones that agree or fit your perception of what you want the numbers to be. Anand and Tech Report will probably have a huge amount of data but just like when the original Phenom was launched alot of people still didn't like the reviews because it painted a bad picture that certain people did not want to accept. Like it or not this review while being limited does provide a data point to where we should expect Phenom II to perform on "real" benchmarks. Good review guys.
    BS. Good review is the one that meets the conditions from this post. You can think whatever you want,but tests used are useless(again,apart form games and the x264 test).

Quote Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
    Unfortunately you have not realized that you have insulted the amd cheerleading squad.
    And an amd? NEVER, I'd rather go buy an ATARI and play 24/7 with it.
    LOL.Really unbiased. I wonder in which cheerleading club you belong?Atari's?
    Last edited by informal; 12-26-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Xtreme Addict

You have to understand that EACH AND EVERY SINGLE benchmark Intel wins? That site/review/article/etc,etc,etc, it becomes pointless and useless due to the fact that the amd cheerleading squad has been disappointed because amd showed a article before demonstrating that this so (lame) dragon platform was going to be the i7 killer.

But we all know/knew that's never going to happen, Intel has sent amd back to the stone age and for the 3 years they had the success they had? It wasn't because amd is an innovative company, but due to the fact that Intel banked in an architecture which paid itself off by 100x at the very least.

So, my advice? Next time, lie a little (in favor of another mediocre device) and you'll see how quickly you'll be praised by the amd cheerleading squad. I'd do it.

In the other hand, I see that's a great review, it shows how bad ass the Q6600 still is, despite its age. i7? I'd build one but my rig is more than enough for what I do. And an amd? NEVER, I'd rather go buy an ATARI and play 24/7 with it.
    see this is exactly what i have been saying over and over. the only people bashing amd are the ignorant ones that don't even know anything about the product. in your post i don't see you saying phenom anywhere. i only see amd, intel, q6600, and i7. if you have no clue what you are talking about then maybe you need to actually read something for once. btw can you tell me what is in the dragon platform? you most likely don't.

Biography
    Intel & nVidia GeForce user, exclusively.
    gotta love how unbiased you are.
    Last edited by roofsniper; 12-26-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    snip
    please dont quote him. Filters dont work with quotes

I just wanted to thank hwbox for the review, although it does have too many synthetics for my taste. I'd really like to see some Lost Planet, GTA4, Supreme Commander numbers and 4GB+ Ram setups.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

i don't recall anyone saying that phenom II will outperform i7. i do remember people saying tho that i7 isn't 5x better than phenom II as the price acts like it is.
    Obviously i was referring to people implying the review is not credible and ph2 can do better. So in a few days that those guys will have ph2 in hand should come back here in this thread and post the "true" b/m scores of stock ph2 that will make us

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SetteUltras View Post
    Obviously i was referring to people implying the review is not credible and ph2 can do better. So in a few days that those guys will have ph2 in hand should come back here in this thread and post the "true" b/m scores of stock ph2 that will make us
    phenom 2 can do better i have seen it with my own eyes. and i know that it has the function of being overclocked as well which is why im wondering how it can be called a full review. its funny all the things that phenom II should be better at haven't been posted in this review. pricing, how well it overclocks, and power consumption. instead all we are seeing is benchmarks that don't even matter and how a cpu performs on that.

Banned

You sound as if you were raped by AMD, which is of course besides a ridiculous thing to say, theoretically impossible.
    You still sound like it though.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast