Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Foxconn BloodRage Issues / BIOS Bugs Thread

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by ilsant0 View Post
    I have the g13 and it should be fine. you advice me to change it?
    What improvements are there?

I haven't tested the new BIOS ( P04 ) yet, so I can't tell.
    G13 is good, actually the best BIOS at the moment, unless P04 proves to be better.
    We shall find out soon.

The P04 contains some improvements that can help in stabilizing our systems at high BCLKs and improved memory kits compatibility.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

sata0 and sata1 (two ssd g.skill)
    two) sata2 and sata3 (two velociraptor)
    and on sata5 my dvd / cdrom.....only problem that I can not boot directly from the dvd / cdrom
    Indeed, I can see how that all went and why now you can't boot from cd-rom. 2 SSD's would put you past my config, but I can see it all clearly.

Testing on my rig, you can't boot from your cd-rom (in RAID mode) because it is not first on your sata ports. I can honestly say for my rig, if the cd-rom is not before the hdd's (ssd or platters), the BIOS will ignore the fact that I have 1st boot device cd-rom (even if I make all 3 boots the cd or use smart menu to boot cd), instead it seems to address the physical port order. Changing hdd boot order, BIOS does follow that. Of course, I can't set my ports up to where I can't use the cd-rom boot, somewhere down the line, one is going to need that.

Riddle me this though, when your BIOS is loading, the menu just before the Intel Storage Manager displays, when they list your sata port devices, do you see a "Reset Port Error!!" for your SSD's or do they display the "G.Skill..." the same way you see it in the Intel Storage Manager?

I will have pics up in a few hours.

Here is my SSD issue

I might have found a BIOS issue with an OCZ Apex SSD and the Bloodrage (I am eagerly awaiting ilsant0’s reply on his G.Skills), it could be an Apex issue or a ICH10R issue. I am using G13 and in RAID mode.

Don’t sweat that my post text it a little off screen to the left, this happens when I use the svga pc port on my LCD TV, if I used HDMI, it would be centered.

The first pic is part of the bios boot to come up before the Intel Storage Manager. The first 2 lines appear and about a second later it will list your sata port devices. Normally that list will zip by, but there is a 2 second delay trying to read port 3 where my Apex SSD is so it is easy at this point to hit Pause/Break and take the pic.
    What is going to happen next is the port 3 read will be “Reset Port Error!!” instead of “OCZ Apex_SSD” like it reads everywhere else in either RAID or IDE mode. Once this error displays, it and the next line will zip by (I have not been able to hit the Pause/Break just right to get the pic because it zips by too fast, but that is what it says) and goes into Intel Storage Manager (pic 2) and you can see that it recognizes the Apex.

Now before I added the Apex, you may have read that I resolved my RAID installation issue (IDE installation has always worked well) with the port placement of the optical rom and confirmed everything was fine to install Vista x64 on a RAID volume and loaded bloodrage drivers and utilities. I was so happy to see things working the way it should now, that I left the volume installation alone and set out to install on the SSD while I still had the raid volume installation intact. Here is where the pics come into play.

The vista installation went just fine on the SSD and it reboots 3 times like usual to complete installation, but keep in mind my optical is set to first boot device. I did see the “Reset Port Error!!”, but didn’t think much of it as things were going fine. Now vista is done and I put the bloodrage DVD in to install chipset drivers on the SSD installation and reboot and I get a BootMgr missing when loading windows.

I now have a dual OS boot system menu as one might expect.

Key points: My SSD is first HDD boot priority and the Vista DVD is no longer in the optical. I change the HDD boot priority to raid volume first then SSD and I get my dual OS boot menu again and the first is still the SSD install, so I select it and I’m in the SSD installation. I put the vista DVD back in the optical, restart and put the SSD back to first in HDD priority and I get my dual OS boot screen again.

The obvious facts are it can’t boot from the SSD itself, it either has to have A) the vista dvd in the optical and have optical as first boot priority or B) it has to boot from the raid volume installation (by making it first HDD boot priority) and when doing this I don’t have to have the optical in first system boot priority. This was what I meant by Billy Gates wouldn’t like, I actually have to have vista loaded twice just to get the SSD to boot. Either solution is unacceptable for a configuration of course.

To dispell any possiblity of it being a installation on a single drive while a raid volume is just a data drive with the ICH10R, I did throw in another platter and installed vista on it. It all went just fine and no errors.

I think the whole BootMgr missing when using the SSD as first HDD and having the HDD as first system boot priority could be traced to the “Reset Port Error!!” , but it could be an OCZ Apex or any SSD issue as a boot drive on a ICH10R or X58 chipset config while in RAID mode. I plan on opening a thread at OCZ to talk to Tony about it in hopes to narrow down the problem.

To help me figure this out, I would love to hear from anybody who has a SSD (1 or more) as a boot drive in RAID mode (on bloodrage of course) chime in with how the first pic menu states their SSD, what SSD you’re using, BIOS version, physical sata port configurations and any other info you deem important. Thanks.

If any of the Bloodrage BIOS engineers (Saaya, BenchZowner) can read my post and have any thoughts about this “Reset Port Error!!”, I would appreciate. I have my sata cables arranged in such a way that I can easily get this setup going again and still return easily to my IDE (i.e. I can be the gunniea pig for this issues resolution).

I've got P03, P04, G13, G15, G16 and G19a. I will likely check out P04, but have no intention on any other G's unless there is a need (SSD issue?) or an advantage. I'm a little gunshy on BIOS updates that way.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RayderR6; 02-20-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayderR6 View Post

I might have found a BIOS issue with an OCZ Apex SSD and the Bloodrage (I am eagerly awaiting ilsant0’s reply on his G.Skills), it could be an Apex issue or a ICH10R issue. I am using G13 and in RAID mode.

Thanks.
    Sorry for the delay
    i can confirm only a few things...

first:
    when i use this config ( 2xg.skill in raid on sata0 and sata1 - 2x VR on sata2 and 3 - dvd/cd on sata4 and in bios set to raid), I CANT SEE nothing on bios bootstrap BEFORE of the "Intel Storage Manager displays". Its all very fast and so i must hit the pause key only when i ear the "beep". But, in this case, i get this shoot:

strangely pressing pause key it interprets as a overclocking problem, so i must go into bios and save the bios through the F10 key and reboot the sistem, otherwise i cant boot .... is it another bios bug ?

second:
    when i had only a ssd g.skill and i had the installation problem of Os's (vista and XP such as bootmngr missing or the other one error)... simply i changed into bios the set from ide to raid, using OLNY ONE ssd as boot disk and the installation of vista/xp continued

third:
    I also think that there is a bug in bios about the priority of boot

Finally, do you want me try to put the dvd on the port sata0/first?

sorry for my poor english, but im a lawyer and the hardware is from only my 20 years old hobby

p.s.
    my bios is g13 and using raid mode into bios actually
    Last edited by ilsant0; 02-21-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    For keep better reliability I would suggest to open/move those hijacking SSD issue to another fresh thread
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:
    FOXCONN Quantum Force Blood Rage Rev.1.1 Bios P11

Quote Originally Posted by xXlAinXx View Post
    For keep better reliability I would suggest to open/move those hijacking SSD issue to another fresh thread
    What engrish, are you buzzed

What if my SSD issue is a bloodrage bios bug? Then wouldn't I be in the right thread , this is what I'm trying to determine and since within the post/bios run, I clearly have an error calling itself an error "Reset Port Error!!", I'm leaning toward this. If it turns out not to be a bios error, then I can move it or any moderator that feels it's wrong can move it. Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    What engrish, are you buzzed

What if my SSD issue is a bloodrage bios bug? Then wouldn't I be in the right thread , this is what I'm trying to determine and since within the post/bios run, I clearly have an error calling itself an error "Reset Port Error!!", I'm leaning toward this. If it turns out not to be a bios error, then I can move it or any moderator that feels it's wrong can move it. Thanks.
    Lol Im on afterhours, and I need to keep myself awake
    U right, but before reporting u must be sure this error is not only one invalid parameter from the bios < > SSD managment setting
    anyway I might need some rest

Edit* See the Reset Port Error!! on 1.5 Tera Drive was caused by the bad firmware XDDD
    Last edited by xXlAinXx; 02-22-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:

Sorry for the delay
    i can confirm only a few things...

first:
    when i use this config ( 2xg.skill in raid on sata0 and sata1 - 2x VR on sata2 and 3 - dvd/cd on sata4 and in bios set to raid), I CANT SEE nothing on bios bootstrap BEFORE of the "Intel Storage Manager displays". Its all very fast and so i must hit the pause key only when i ear the "beep". But, in this case, i get this shoot:
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, that's the menu and it does zip by on mine except the fact that it takes a couple seconds before displaying the "Reset Port Error!!" before zipping the rest by. Here is a photoshopped image of how it would look:

However, I see your G.Skills are displaying properly with no error like mine. Might have to shift some focus to the Apex for the problem. Just to be sure, down below you're telling me you're using the ICH10R and not a hardware card, right?

strangely pressing pause key it interprets as a overclocking problem, so i must go into bios and save the bios through the F10 key and reboot the sistem, otherwise i cant boot .... is it another bios bug ?
    Sorry, I wouldn't know, never had an OC Recovery Occur, but that sure would be a funny time and a unusual ignition (i.e. pause/break button)

second:
    when i had only a ssd g.skill and i had the installation problem of Os's (vista and XP such as bootmngr missing or the other one error)... simply i changed into bios the set from ide to raid, using OLNY ONE ssd as boot disk and the installation of vista/xp continued
    Are you saying when you only had 1 SSD, that you were installing the OS under IDE mode, then just switched BIOS to RAID mode and it still worked? I have a vista installed on the Apex under IDE and if try to boot from it in RAID mode, I get a BSOD while loading windows files. Anyhoo, getting off track.

third:
    I also think that there is a bug in bios about the priority of boot

Finally, do you want me try to put the dvd on the port sata0/first?
    No, that's ok, it works for you and if you are currently unable to load a boot disk from your optical as you said, then I know why as it is the same reason as it would be on my machine.
    I'm going to try another clean attempt at my desired configuration on Monday and see if I'm still getting this "Reset Port Error!!".

sorry for my poor english, but im a lawyer and the hardware is from only my 20 years old hobby

p.s.
    my bios is g13 and using raid mode into bios actually
    Your english is just fine, better than xXIAinXx right now, but he may be typing drunk

U right, but before reporting u must be sure this error is not only one invalid parameter from the bios < > SSD managment setting
    Oh come on, give an average user a break, this is like having to have a credit card before you can get a credit card. I've done a lot of work on my own, had some thoughts, trying to gather more information from people using the same hardware, asking some pros for opinions, all starting with my first take and taking it from there.

Edit* See the Reset Port Error!! on 1.5 Tera Drive was caused by the bad firmware XDDD
    Ahaa, I see you're onto something here and not a bad memory for being drunk , but funny how I don't get any errors in IDE mode. Could just be the SSD in RAID mode. Still could be a few things IMO.

Since ilsant0s G.Skills are displaying fine, I was starting to shift attention to Apex problem and this could be another piece to take it there.

I am going to do some research on that and maybe hit up Tony at OCZ if I need to. I've already read some posts over there about different firmware versions on the Apex. If it is an Apex problem, I will remove all the SSD stuff from this thread and leave only the fact that ICH RAID for me only completes installation with optical in first port. Seems like a lot of posts in this thread are related to RAID.

Thanks, now go get a cup of coffee.
    Last edited by RayderR6; 02-22-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Tried out the p04.I took a big performance hit.Using my same overclock.Cpuz also reported lower cpu clocks that were set in bios.My cold boot issues got worse also.I had to push my power button every time to do a cold boot even though I had it set for power on after power failure .For me g19 is the best performer and g16 solves my cold boot issues.I wish I could combine the 2.
    Thermaltake Armor+
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    i7 965
    Gskill 2000 7 8 7 2000
    Evga gtx295 quad sli
    Custom watercooled
    Ultra 1600w psu
    Velocirapror 300
    Vista64

latest vantage 43200

Are you saying when you only had 1 SSD, that you were installing the OS under IDE mode, then just switched BIOS to RAID mode and it still worked? I have a vista installed on the Apex under IDE and if try to boot from it in RAID mode, I get a BSOD while loading windows files. Anyhoo, getting off track.
    Yes!... i confirm that.

This was my only big installation iussue. In bios I setted as IDE but on first OS reboot i toke this error (bootmgr is missing = vista 64 - and for XP another strange error...). To resolve this iussue i changed ONLY the setting into bios from IDE to RAID and the installation ended.... i think that it is a ssd firmware bug.
    You can do this test: connect only sata0 = optical drive and sata1 Apex. In bios set on IDE and then install Vista 64. When vista installation reboot for first time and you get the bootmgr error, go in bios and set to RAID. In the next restart youll see to continue the vista installation without error test it!
    If your installation end without vista installation error, please set on sata0 your apex and on sata4 your optical driver (this is mine condition in which i take vista installation error...
    At this point i don know if it is a Bloodrage bios iussue or a ssd firmware bug.

No, that's ok, it works for you and if you are currently unable to load a boot disk from your optical as you said, then I know why as it is the same reason as it would be on my machine.
    I'm going to try another clean attempt at my desired configuration on Monday and see if I'm still getting this "Reset Port Error!!".

i thing the only difference between mine and your sistem is the dvd/cd's sata port.
    I have it on sata 4 while you have it on sata0.
    So today ill change my dvd sata port into sata0
    ill set in this mode:
    sata0 = dvd/cd
    sata1= nothing
    sata2/3= ssd g.skill (in raid)
    sata4/5= VR (in raid)

Your english is just fine, better than xXIAinXx right now, but he may be typing drunk
    LOL
    Last edited by ilsant0; 02-22-2009 at 05:05 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Yes!... i confirm that.

This was my only big installation iussue. In bios I setted as IDE but on first OS reboot i toke this error (bootmgr is missing = vista 64 - and for XP another strange error...). To resolve this iussue i changed ONLY the setting into bios from IDE to RAID and the installation ended.... i think that it is a ssd firmware bug.
    You can do this test: connect only sata0 = optical drive and sata1 Apex. In bios set on IDE and then install Vista 64. When vista installation reboot for first time and you get the bootmgr error, go in bios and set to RAID. In the next restart youll see to continue the vista installation without error test it!
    At this point i don know if it is a Bloodrage bios iussue or a ssd firmware bug.
    That's not a bug and has nothing to do with the BloodRage.

When you set the Intel ICH10R SATA-RAID Controller to AHCI or RAID mode you NEED to give the Windows installation the drivers in order to be able to use the ICH10R.
    You can do that by pressing F4 and inserting a floppy (LOL) disk with the Intel ICH10R drivers, or in vista browse to the ICH10R TXT-Mode drivers on any kind of media ( FDD,CD,DVD,USB Flash Disk Drive )... or even better integrate the ICH10R drivers to your Windows installation disk with nLite.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post

[snip]

... or even better integrate the ICH10R drivers to your Windows installation disk with nLite.
    Sorry BenchZowner,
    i have forgott to explain that i always use a XP disk with ICH10R drivers integrate with nlite
    But nevertheless it, i take the installation error.
    Howheaver, i had the error in *IDE MODE*, not in RAID mode.

For example now i have this configuration

sata0 = optical driver (tnx RayderR6!!! it work well and on bootstrap finally i can see the dvd achpi call for first! )
    sata1 = nothing
    sata2/sata3= ssd g.skill on raid
    sata4/sata5= Velociraptor on raid

Ill try to install VISTA 64

im sure that if i try to install XP/Vista on sata2 or sata3 (g.skill ssd) in IDE MODE from bios, ILL TAKE the error (obviously using the disk with driver ich10r patched using nlite...)
    Last edited by ilsant0; 02-22-2009 at 07:28 AM.

sata0 = optical driver (tnx RayderR6!!! it work well and on bootstrap finally i can see the dvd achpi call for first! )
    sata1 = nothing
    sata2/sata3= ssd g.skill on raid
    sata4/sata5= Velociraptor on raid

Ill try to install VISTA 64
    Yes, based on saayas suggestion to swap ports around, I found having the optical on first, then all HDD's after solved my OS install problem in RAID. I feel this is well documented within this thread now, once/if I find that my SSD issue is not BIOS related, you and I will have to clean up our posts here

See, you chime in to help and get helped, now you can boot from a disc

You won't need to load any RAID drivers for Vista 64, it will go butter smooth.
    Last edited by RayderR6; 02-22-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Yes, based on saayas suggestion to swap ports around, I found having the optical on first, then all HDD's after solved my OS install problem in RAID. I feel this is well documented within this thread now, once/if I find that my SSD issue is not BIOS related, you and I will have to clean up our posts here

See, you chime in to help and get helped, now you can boot from a disc

You won't need to load any RAID drivers for Vista 64, it will go butter smooth.
    ok...when you post for clean ill clean my reply too...
    installing vista 64!

I have a gskill titan on port 3 that gives the reset port error.

It works in windows but I see a reset port error at boot, only on this drive.

I have 2x ocz V2s in raid 0 on ports 1 and 2, the titan on port 3, a seagate 7200.9 on port 4, and 2x dvd drives on ports 5 and 6.

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    I have a gskill titan on port 3 that gives the reset port error.

It works in windows but I see a reset port error at boot, only on this drive.

I have 2x ocz V2s in raid 0 on ports 1 and 2, the titan on port 3, a seagate 7200.9 on port 4, and 2x dvd drives on ports 5 and 6.
    Information is really coming together now, thanks for posting dengyong. I take it you don't have any issues booting from optical even though they are after the HDD's?

So on an ICH10R we have:
    OK: 1 set G.Skill RAID Disks
    OK: 1 set OCZ V2's RAID Disks

Reset Port Error!! 1 OCZ Apex Non-RAID Disk
    Reset Port Error!! 1 G.Skill Titan Non-RAID Disk

The Titan and Apex are similar internal with the 2 Jmicron controllers striped on a 309, possible importance. While I was running my RAID volume OS, I could use the Apex as a storage (even though it had the Reset Port Error!!), just like you can dengyong, but that is what I meant by inefficient use $/GB, at least for my wallet .

If it's a pita, I understand, but is it possible for you to install vista on the Titan, make it first boot in HDD list, after complete OS install take out the vista dvd and tell me if you get a BootMgr missing?

I'm not getting much googling this error, funny enough, the best refers to this thread. I am trying to expand it to other X58 mobos now and if I get one, I can get this going on it's own thread as it wouldn't be a Bloodrage BIOS bug, but still might be fixed with a BIOS update.

Thanks ppl.

I've done some more testing and the gskill titan give the reset port error on every port I put it on (4 other ports).
    The drive works fine other than that and the other drives worked fine on the same ports without giving an error.
    Bios g13 and p04.

I've done some more testing and the gskill titan give the reset port error on every port I put it on (4 other ports).
    The drive works fine other than that and the other drives worked fine on the same ports without giving an error.
    Bios g13 and p04.
    I got a dollar that says if you: (Warning: if you do this, you might have some cleaning up of a dual boot OS to go back to your original config, VistaBootPro is a great little tool to clean this stuff up, but if you don't want to deal with any of it, don't try anything below, thanks)

1) move the Titan to first boot in HDD list
    2) install vista on the Titan (you'll have a dual boot OS now with your Raided OCZ's)
    3) make sure in dual boot menu, you're selecting the Titan install (I figure it to be first and the default selection, i.e. let it go)
    4) after vista is done with the final reboot, remove the vista dvd, reboot and see if you get a BootMgr missing.

If you do get a BootMgr missing, change your HDD disk first priority to your OCZ Raid volume and you will get into your dual boot OS menu again. If that works, change the Titan back to first HDD boot priority and put in vista dvd, reboot and see if you get you dual boot OS menu again.

If it goes this way for you, we have a very similar setup, with the exact same problem in using that setup.
    Last edited by RayderR6; 02-22-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Xtreme Member

Speculation

Hello xX1AinXx, I'm using G13 today.

UPDATE and Edited Original POST: I can confirm on my system if I set the Jmicron IDE and eSata to RAID+IDE or AHCI+IDE, the following errors occur (these do not happen if set to IDE or Disabled).

1) During post there will be 2 repeat lines which are a brighter white and sit on top of normal post text stating "WARNING: Have Option ROM can not be invoke (Vendor ID: 197Bh, Device ID: 2363h)"
    While the bios trying invoke the Raid, some of uor device state;
    (A1)a wrong
    or
    (B1)one already occupied
    memory allocation and therfore the operation cannot be inizialized.
    Both can be Bios/Firmware releated. Thus (A1) it's more inclined to the SSD Firmware one.
    Well engineers will know for sure where to look :p
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:

Are there any release notes for this new bios?
    FOXCONN BLOODRAGE
    CoreI7 920
    Corsair 6gb DDR3 1600 Dominator
    Diamond 4870X2 Koolance waterblock
    PC Power and Cooling 860w
    2x VelociRaptor (raid 0)
    2x WD160 (raid 0)
    CoolerMaster Watercooling
    Vista64 ultimate SP1
    ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen
    Killer NIC

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Improvements for P04 are:
    memory compatibility
    cpu core multiplier improvements [30+ with 4 cores still doesnt work but we are getting there ]
    several minor improvements to improve stability at high overclocks
    bill, you dont like G19? G13 is still better for you?
    sorry guys, dont have time to read up on the raid probs right now, ill post here later

I got a dollar that says if you: (Warning: if you do this, you might have some cleaning up of a dual boot OS to go back to your original config, VistaBootPro is a great little tool to clean this stuff up, but if you don't want to deal with any of it, don't try anything below, thanks)

1) move the Titan to first boot in HDD list
    2) install vista on the Titan (you'll have a dual boot OS now with your Raided OCZ's)
    3) make sure in dual boot menu, you're selecting the Titan install (I figure it to be first and the default selection, i.e. let it go)
    4) after vista is done with the final reboot, remove the vista dvd, reboot and see if you get a BootMgr missing.

If you do get a BootMgr missing, change your HDD disk first priority to your OCZ Raid volume and you will get into your dual boot OS menu again. If that works, change the Titan back to first HDD boot priority and put in vista dvd, reboot and see if you get you dual boot OS menu again.

If it goes this way for you, we have a very similar setup, with the exact same problem in using that setup.
    I've got windows 7 on the titan and it's working fine as is, so I'll leave it alone for now.

I've got windows 7 on the titan and it's working fine as is, so I'll leave it alone for now.
    No worries, you've given me a great example for my chart, thanks. Is windows 7 the only OS on your system right now or in dual boot with that vista you list?

No worries, you've given me a great example for my chart, thanks. Is windows 7 the only OS on your system right now or in dual boot with that vista you list?
    Dual boot.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast