Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foxconn BloodRage Issues / BIOS Bugs Thread

One-Eyed Killing Machine

Foxconn BloodRage Issues / BIOS Bugs Thread

Attention: This is not a general discussion, overclocking troubleshooting, guidance thread

In this thread you should only report any hardware related or BIOS related issues/bugs.
    Remember to report your BIOS version and give a detailed description of your hardware configuration ( system specs & BIOS settings ), description of the hardware/BIOS issue/bug, and what triggers it ( if you found what it is triggering that issue/bug ).
    The more and better feedback Foxconn gets the better the board will become

Please keep the thread clean, and do not post if you've got nothing to add
    Last edited by saaya; 02-10-2009 at 01:24 AM.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    False alarm, it was a failing HDD!!

Bug/Issue description:
    The board is POSTing slowly ( around 56s to get past the initial screen ) [ ram size report, CPU frequency, etc ], and gets stuck at "Updating/Verifying DMI pool data.
    The BIOS settings are correct, and have been accepted previously and the system was fully stable ( it's happening on stock frequency & even "Load optimized defaults" as well ).
    Sometimes it'll get past that after modifying some BIOS values that have nothing to do with that ( e.g. disabling the Display Quantum Force logo option ) and saving & exiting the BIOS menu, once or twice.
    Sometimes it won't get past that point no matter what, and the only way to get the system back up and running again is to remove the power from the board, remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and try again.

The motherboard arrived with the G13 BIOS version ( dated 11/12/2008 ).
    I have a feeling that it could be a bad flash, so I'll flash the BIOS tomorrow and check again.

System specs:
    Foxconn BloodRage ( Retail ) ( BIOS G13 )
    Intel Core i7 920 ( Retail )
    RAM Configuration 1: CSX Diablo DDR3-2000 2GB Dual Channel Kit - RAM Configuration 2: 2* CSX Diablo Sticks & 1* CellShock stick ( all Micron D9GTR )
    VGA: eVGA e-GeForce GTX 280
    HDD: Maxtor MaxLine III 300GB ( 7L300S0 )
    OCZ ProXStream 1000W

BIOS Configurations shown in the video.

Video Download Links:
    BenchZone's FTP Server
    RapidShare
    Last edited by saaya; 02-10-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Reserve #2

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hey bill,

havent seen or heard of this before... can you tell me what exactly to do to trigger this problem? sounds like a bad bios flash where something got messed up with the dmi infos? before you flashed the bios you didnt have this problem, right? how did you flash the bios? awardflash? what commands? please use /WB/CD/CH/H2 or use winflash and select to update everything.

the clearcmos button isnt enough and you had to remove the bios battery?

hmmm i never had to do this so far... the clear cmos button worked great for me, i usually just hit the clear cmos button while the board is still running and then hit the reset button and the board boots right away with setup defaults

if that doesnt work, powering the board down, hitting the clear cmos button for a second and then powering on worked fine.

if even that doesnt work,there is a bios battery jumper, so you dont have to fiddle with the bios battery and get it out and short it, all you have to do is change the jumper and the battery is cut off completely i didnt have to use it so far tho, the clearcmos button works really well for me

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hey bill,

havent seen or heard of this before... can you tell me what exactly to do to trigger this problem? sounds like a bad bios flash where something got messed up with the dmi infos? before you flashed the bios you didnt have this problem, right? how did you flash the bios? awardflash? what commands? please use /WB/CD/CH/H2 or use winflash and select to update everything.

the clearcmos button isnt enough and you had to remove the bios battery?

hmmm i never had to do this so far... the clear cmos button worked great for me, i usually just hit the clear cmos button while the board is still running and then hit the reset button and the board boots right away with setup defaults

if that doesnt work, powering the board down, hitting the clear cmos button for a second and then powering on worked fine.

if even that doesnt work,there is a bios battery jumper, so you dont have to fiddle with the bios battery and get it out and short it, all you have to do is change the jumper and the battery is cut off completely i didnt have to use it so far tho, the clearcmos button works really well for me
    Updated, and solved.
    Check the above post.
    It was a failing HDD
    The HDD ain't working now at all.
    At least I had no data apart from the temporary windows installation on it.
    Last edited by BenchZowner; 12-25-2008 at 05:48 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Bug/Issue description:
    The board is POSTing slowly ( around 56s to get past the initial screen ) [ ram size report, CPU frequency, etc ], and gets stuck at "Updating/Verifying DMI pool data.
    The BIOS settings are correct, and have been accepted previously and the system was fully stable ( it's happening on stock frequency & even "Load optimized defaults" as well ).
    Sometimes it'll get past that after modifying some BIOS values that have nothing to do with that ( e.g. disabling the Display Quantum Force logo option ) and saving & exiting the BIOS menu, once or twice.
    Sometimes it won't get past that point no matter what, and the only way to get the system back up and running again is to remove the power from the board, remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and try again.

The motherboard arrived with the G13 BIOS version ( dated 11/12/2008 ).
    I have a feeling that it could be a bad flash, so I'll flash the BIOS tomorrow and check again.

System specs:
    Foxconn BloodRage ( Retail ) ( BIOS G13 )
    Intel Core i7 920 ( Retail )
    RAM Configuration 1: CSX Diablo DDR3-2000 2GB Dual Channel Kit - RAM Configuration 2: 2* CSX Diablo Sticks & 1* CellShock stick ( all Micron D9GTR )
    VGA: eVGA e-GeForce GTX 280
    HDD: Maxtor MaxLine III 300GB ( 7L300S0 )
    OCZ ProXStream 1000W

BIOS Configurations shown in the video.

Video Download Links:
    BenchZone's FTP Server
    RapidShare
    I think I've ironed out this one.
    Seems to be a soon to fail HDD.
    Removing the HDD solved the slow POST thingie.
    Gonna try another HDD ( same brand and model to check if it's a compatibility issue or just my HDD failing ) [ I think I've heard the famous "click - tack" sound from the HDD once or twice some days ago ]

I'll update the first post as soon as I confirm that it's the HDD.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    good to hear you didnt have any data on it at least...
    i had the same thing happen to me a long time ago and it really confused the h3ll out of me, cause every single part worked fine in another setup, the only thing i didnt test was the hdd... as soon as it was connected the system wouldnt post at all, and no post code either. weird huh? theres a hdd detection timeout so i always thought if the hdd is broken, it wont detect... no idea how a broken hdd can cause the system to not post or post slowly actually... hey, let me check with the engineers here, they might know why!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Actually it was working fine some times ( booting incredibly fast and normal ) and sometimes "hang" with that slow post thing.
    For example, slow post. Hit the reset button, and what a wonder! It booted fine

Well, it's not a BloodRage bug, it was my lame HDD, so it's ok no matter what
    Haven't had a single glitch after swapping the HDD with another one.

p.s. Did you receive my e-mail with the attached document ?

Xtreme Member
    Are there any bios updates available for the BloodRage? I have ordered a BloodRage and DFI LP UT X58 to bench and compare side by side using the same cpu and ram. DFI has released several new bios but I don't see any from Foxconn.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripgood View Post
    Are there any bios updates available for the BloodRage? I have ordered a BloodRage and DFI LP UT X58 to bench and compare side by side using the same cpu and ram. DFI has released several new bios but I don't see any from Foxconn.
    well what exactly is not working with P03? why do you want a new BIOS? if you want i can send you the latest beta, just pm me your email address

Quote Originally Posted by OverClocker_gr View Post
    Turbo boost is not working on i7 920.
    bios P03
    huh? so far it worked fine for everybody. i tested it on xp and vista 32 and 64 and it works fine...

Edit: wait, are you using the board i sent to hipro/gorillakos? or is this a retail board?
    The board i sent to hipro/gorillakos some time ago needs one smd resistor removed to keep turbo multipliers high even under load, otherwise it will drop to default multiplier as soon as the cpu is under load.

can you post more details about your system?

Xtreme Member
    G13 has been posted on these forums. I'll use it and see how it goes!
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Member
    well what exactly is not working with P03? why do you want a new BIOS? if you want i can send you the latest beta, just pm me your email address

huh? so far it worked fine for everybody. i tested it on xp and vista 32 and 64 and it works fine...

Edit: wait, are you using the board i sent to hipro/gorillakos? or is this a retail board?
    The board i sent to hipro/gorillakos some time ago needs one smd resistor removed to keep turbo multipliers high even under load, otherwise it will drop to default multiplier as soon as the cpu is under load.

can you post more details about your system?
    i had this issue with this board(hipro/gorillakos) and i was wondering whats wrong but no, this is the retail board.

Core i7 920 835A
    Bios G13/P03(i think they are the same)
    3*1GB Patriot 1866 Viper D9GTR

and i found and another issue.
    I cant set manually the tcl.If i set it manual 7,8,9,10 doesn't matter it ll not post.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    i had this issue with this board(hipro/gorillakos) and i was wondering whats wrong but no, this is the retail board.

Core i7 920 835A
    Bios G13/P03(i think they are the same)
    3*1GB Patriot 1866 Viper D9GTR
    Nevermind the Turbo issue Sascha, just spoke with OverClocker and he was disabling EIST/CxE.

and i found and another issue.
    I cant set manually the tcl.If i set it manual 7,8,9,10 doesn't matter it ll not post.
    That's weird.
    Did you try with another memory kit man ?

Xtreme Member
    Nevermind the Turbo issue Sascha, just spoke with OverClocker and he was disabling EIST/CxE.

That's weird.
    Did you try with another memory kit man ?
    xexe,yes, i find it out just when i was talking to you.But i think that is better to be able to change turbo mode with out enabling PPM+EIST

No,but with older bios(G11) i haven't any problem.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    But i think that is better to be able to change turbo mode with out enabling PPM+EIST
    Yeah, +1 on that

I tried out the xmp profile on corsair TR3X6G1600C8D (running all 6 GB) G13 bios 920 @ default.

It should set 1600 8-8-8-24-2T @ 1.65v (confirmed in cpuz) instead it sets 1800 @ 1.85v

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'm not sure if Intel's XMP specifications include a voltage setting.
    However Sascha told me that they are working on their implementation of XMP.

I'm not sure if Intel's XMP specifications include a voltage setting.
    However Sascha told me that they are working on their implementation of XMP.
    XMP wasn't an option in the bios my board shipped with... No problem, just giving feedback.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    XMP, has been known to be implemented in a way that the BIOS automatically raises a plethora of voltages. Including CPU VCore in it's ugliest form (we've seen it). Seriously, I know XMP is a selling point for memory these days, but you're always better off putting in the graft and getting there manually.

That being said, it's a feature that board manufacs have to deal with and make workable.

raja

Xtreme X.I.P.
    so they didnt forward the mod to you?
    you just have to remove a single smd part and then the problem is solved
    pm me your email address and ill send you the mod

what memory? Are you using XMP?

i think that is better to be able to change turbo mode with out enabling PPM+EIST
    Why?
    If you want the cpu to run with 21x multi all the time just set cpu turbo to "always on" which forces turbo mode nonstop

Its not possible to disable EIST and PPM and still use turbo, cause Turbo is an extension of EIST, its basically reverse throttling, and the conditions that need to be set for it to happen are controlled by PPM... so... its not possible to disable EIST and PPM afaik. And again, why would you want to disable them? whats the difference between having it enabled and disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    I tried out the xmp profile on corsair TR3X6G1600C8D (running all 6 GB) G13 bios 920 @ default.

It should set 1600 8-8-8-24-2T @ 1.65v (confirmed in cpuz) instead it sets 1800 @ 1.85v
    yeah, there are so many faulty/buggy XMP profiles that didnt work well on x48 and much less on x58, so we used a single XMP profile for now. In G15 and newer there is a new feature added which is virtual XMP, you can select any memory speed from 1066 to 1866 under virtual XMP and the timings and voltages will be set automatically
    THis works for any mem, whether it has xmp or not.
    And XMP profiles of the mem can be applied now as well in case you want to use them.

But like raja said, its really better to set everything manually.
    And like i always said, there isnt really any point in XMP...
    People who dont know how to configure their memory wont have a clue what XMP is and how to enable it. And people who know what xmp is and how to enable it know how to configure the memory manually and prefer to do it that way...

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    PPM would limit the maximum frequencies for the CPU, if the Current Limit is also enabled when enabling PPM as far as I know.
    Unless your BIOS engineers hard-coded the OverCurrent option as always enabled regardless of the PPM setting.

Xtreme Member
    so they didnt forward the mod to you?
    you just have to remove a single smd part and then the problem is solved
    pm me your email address and ill send you the mod

what memory? Are you using XMP?

Why?
    If you want the cpu to run with 21x multi all the time just set cpu turbo to "always on" which forces turbo mode nonstop

Its not possible to disable EIST and PPM and still use turbo, cause Turbo is an extension of EIST, its basically reverse throttling, and the conditions that need to be set for it to happen are controlled by PPM... so... its not possible to disable EIST and PPM afaik. And again, why would you want to disable them? whats the difference between having it enabled and disabled?
    now i dont have this board,hipro does

The board that i have now is a retail which is ok with the turbo.

i have patriot vipers 1866LLK.No i dont use the xmp profiles.
    Tried also to remove them completely from the spd but the result was the same.

When i set manually the tcl, mobo just wont post.

If i remember right, with G11 i didnt have this problem.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post

If your XMP related DIMM's are going to 1.85V on this board, then make sure you increase VTT/Uncore to keep it within 0.5v of the 1.85V value. VTT should be at a minimum of 1.35V with VDDQ at 1.85V. Check Hardware monitor in BIOS and make sure the XMP profile increases VTT automatically to suit the applied VDimm. If it does not, set it manually - or don't use XMP until Foxconn updates the BIOS. A disparity greater than 0.5V is enough to screw your CPU.

regards
    Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 01-05-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Xtreme Member
    now i dont have this board,hipro does

The board that i have now is a retail which is ok with the turbo.

i have patriot vipers 1866LLK.No i dont use the xmp profiles.
    Tried also to remove them completely from the spd but the result was the same.

When i set manually the tcl, mobo just wont post.

If i remember right, with G11 i didnt have this problem.
    so far so good.
    With G15 that bill provided to me, the memory issue solved

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast