Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: CES '09 LMM (Last Minute Mod)

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed

Project: CES '09 LMM (Last Minute Mod)

Most recent update: 1/19/09, post #41.

I usually don't post worklogs... mostly because I'm too busy actually modding but I figure that I probably should for this one (even though it isn't really a "major" mod at all).

Anyway, last week (or perhaps the week before... I really can't remember) I was contacted by Super Talent Technologies (they do memory) to put together a display machine for their CES booth. Frankly, it's a little late in the year to be asking for custom display machines but, whatever, I'm game

They dropped off the goodies on some Friday (was either last Friday or the Friday prior) and I've spent time collecting other parts, getting custom appliqués on order, and prepping stuff. Now, the catch with this build is that I get to foot the bill for all modding-related stuffs, water cooling, and appliqués. In exchange, I can put our logo and stuff on the case.

What Super Talent dropped off:

Aside from the Antec 900, not too shabby

The two main items that I need to focus on 'showcasing' are the solid state drive and the 3GB DDR3 kit. I'm thinking that I'll work up some sort of bracket to mount the SSD up near a case window or something. Aside from that, I've mostly just been thinking about cooling (then again, when am I not?) and mucking about in Sketchup to see what'll fit and what won't.

Dual MCR220's, modded drive cages, some flat black interior paint, white LED fans, a custom cut window, black tubing, compressions, and stainless radgrilles on the side panels acting as exhausts for the radiators is the current plan... with the two main issues being mounting the radiators and getting ahold of an extra right-side (blank) panel for the 900. I can't get particularly wild with this build not only because I don't have the time to do so, but also because they want the case easily transportable/shippable (so, no external craziness).

Cutting should commence tomorrow.

Would anyone in the bay area happen to have a spare Antec 900 side panel?
    Last edited by Petra; 01-19-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Chasing After Diety
    BWAHAHAHA ALEX awesome idea for the rads!

Seriously!
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Mentor
    I have always thought about that case and how water would go in it. So here are a couple of ideas:

1 - The SSD, how about you cut a hole in the top of the case so the SSD fits perfectly in there and use lights to highlight it.

2 - Use a single Thermochill PA120.2 in the front of the case removing the HD cages and part of the 5 1/4" bays. Use this for the GTX280. And then use a PA120.1 mounted on the rear of the case to cool the CPU.

3 - To cool the memory, use a OCZ memory cooler, but put the Super Talent Logo on it, that way the leds highlight the memory.

Just a couple of thoughts. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    actually you could hang HD on the sides as you place those fans
    i had a few hd hangging there as well

Xtreme Member
    Sweet a Petra build!!!!!!

Great idea on the rads

Sub'd
    -TJ07
    -Core i7 920
    -Rampage II Extreme
    -EVGA 8800 Ultra
    -Corsair Hx1000w
    -Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 Dominator
    -Intel 80GB SSD gen.2
    -WD 6400AAKS Raid 0

Xtreme Member
    I'd cut a window into the roof (cut out the storage area in front of the large fan) and mount the SSD there, and light it somehow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ooo! great idea on the Rads...cant wait to see the pics
    Last edited by lyl; 12-23-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice chassis mcoffey

The idea ain't new, in fact its very similar to "para-flow" that Rick came up with and we mastered a few of months ago for a few custom Lian Li chassis.

BTW it works real good

Life's Replay
    The idea has probably been around since the genesis of watercooling but nobody put a name on it until "para-flow". I wanted to do it for my build earlier on this year but I didn't have the case for the job.

This will possibly be a cool project, how about some white LEDs highlighting the two main components that you want to show off and everything else remaining dark.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any updates?
    [ Lian-Li V1000B // EP45-UD3P // E8400 // HD4870 ]
    [ W/C by EK, MIPS, D-tek, Bitspower, Swiftech, XSPC]
    [ Project LucentTide - WORKLOG! ]

Xtreme Member
    Looks good. Good luck trying to prettify that 900.

heat
    TJ07-Ultra 1200W-E8400-Rampage Formula-4870-4gb G.skill-74gb Raptor-500gb Seagate-Windows 7

Apogee GTZ-XSPC Razor-DDC3.2 w/ XSPC top-PA120.3-MCR220-EK 250 res

Xtreme Member
    wow, nice set of hardware to be dropped off looks like its going to be an interesting build seeing as you have to highlight certain hardware
    *** Silverstone LC16B MR - 1.5Tb - Q6600 - Silverstone NT07 - 4 Gig PC6400 Corsair - 520W Corsair PSU - LG BR/HD Drive
    Creative XFI Soundcard - Sapphire 4850 512mb ***

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been busy juggling this project, the store, and personal stuff.

Anyway, I leave for CES in two days... and, boy, do I have my work cut out for me

Here's a quick summary of where I'm at and how I got there:

Started by stripping the case (pulling all the cages, covers, and other crap out).

A little blue painter's tape on the PSU as not to scratch it up while test fitting stuff.

Marking up the case to act as a guide for the primary cuts. I'm very much a hands-on, throw stuff in, figure out where to cut, go crazy with Sharpie kind of modder who's projects tend to change as I move through them--it's fun

...and the carnage begins! Before anyone asks, yes, I'm wearing both safety glasses and earplugs (otherwise, I would have become blind and deaf long ago). What the picture can't show you, though, are my poor Logitech Z-2300's blasting away in the background (a mix of Muse, Led Zeppelin, and Audioslave, in case anyone is curious).

By this point, I'm starting to drill the rivets out of the case to take it apart so that I can finish most of the cutting.

Whadda 'ya know... it's back together again. After pulling the case entirely apart and cutting it up some more, I partially reassembled it so that I could test fit some of the components and check for any additional modifications that it needed. All that excess Sharpie really makes the cuts look a lot worse than they actually are...

Looking familiar?

I'm also using the opportunity to mark spots where mounting holes will be needed and figure out the SSD mount (not shown).

Turns out that a few more mm had to be trimmed from the motherboard tray so that I could mount fans up to the radiator on the right... Eh, at least I was close on the first go

Which brings us to today...

Here the case has been disassembled again, each panel deburred, filed, wet sanded, thoroughly cleaned, and hung for priming.

It started getting quite cold, so out came the dish heater to keep the panels warm (paint was stored in the front office, so I didn't have to worry about warming it).

Finished priming and allowing things to dry for an hour before rushing into a color coat. I really don't like rushing paint because it's just one of those things that, if you take the time to do it right, can make the difference between an amazing mod and a mediocre mod... but, with so little time to work with, I obviously can't spend weeks on paint (which is why I'm not even considering external paint).

Applying color coats to the panels... in the dark.... with only the dish to keep the parts warm and cure the paint (probably about 45*F out by this point).

After things cured enough to be carefully handled, I moved all of the panels into the office and programmed the thermostat to hold the temperature at 75*F all night to help the paint cure (by the time I left, the temperature in the warehouse was lingering around 40*F... not a great environment for paint to cure quickly). The sad part is that it takes a full week for this paint to completely cure, so it won't actually be done until after CES is over... but that won't stop me from finishing the case anyway!

So, my 'to do' list for tomorrow (Monday) consists of the following:

- Cut the side panels (window for the left panel and one 'radgrill' hole for each side).
    - Deburr, wet sand, clean, prime, and paint the insides of the side panels.
    - Pop rivet the chassis back together.
    - Start assembling computer.
    - Pray all of the parts work (I haven't had time to test any of the components that SuperTalent dropped off).

Tuesday's list should go like this:

- Finish assembling computer.
    - Fill water cooling system.
    - Install Windows.
    - Apply the custom Appliqués which should arrive on Monday (despite a few setbacks, Terry over at Shatteredweb has been great to work with, as always ).
    - Box the system up, stuff it into the 328 (since there's no way it's fitting in the roadster), and start the first leg of my drive to Vegas (breaking it into two days because I have to drop by SLO to deliver a TV).

Time for sleep....

Xtreme Member
    looks great!
    Whats up?

Xtreme Member
    nice project you have there!
    rad positioning is brilliant!

sub'd

Engineering The Xtreme
    I want that heater!, I have to make portable paint racks at my house so I can paint in the basement and then run the the fresh painted items upstairs to dry in the warmth.

Xtreme Addict
    I take partial credit for the radiator mounting idea

Also, I want to see the new pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can't wait to see this fully assembled! should be quite the little case for CES!

MDPC
    Hey nice to see the man with the shop in action
    Enjoy CES! Best from Germany to you!

Xtreme Member
    good luck at CES, need a big update of pics to see the outcome
    *** Silverstone LC16B MR - 1.5Tb - Q6600 - Silverstone NT07 - 4 Gig PC6400 Corsair - 520W Corsair PSU - LG BR/HD Drive
    Creative XFI Soundcard - Sapphire 4850 512mb ***

Xtreme Addict
    awesome, see you at the CES It will be nice to meet you in person

good luck!

Xtreme Member
    Great idea for mounting the rad's
    "Amicus Plato — amicus Aristoteles — magis amica veritas"

Well, I worked late into the night last night (like every night for nearly the past week) and am almost done... should be able to finish everything up today. Sadly, there's no way I'll be able to make it to Vegas for the opening day of CES (because I'm driving, the best I'll be able to do is Thursday evening). I've had to take a lot of shortcuts and make a lot of compromises to get this thing done and I'm not very happy about that, but it'll still look pretty cool (just not up to my usual standards).

Pictures will be posted if I have time... otherwise you'll either have to go to Sands Convention Center booth #72421 or wait 'till Sunday to see it.

As a side note... Dave, your pump brackets are too damn strong

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    As a side note... Dave, your pump brackets are too damn strong
    Umm Sorry??

Can't wait to see how this turned out.
    Good luck at CES!
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by armeniandave View Post
    Umm Sorry??

Can't wait to see how this turned out.
    Good luck at CES!

I agree dave your brackets are DAYAM strong.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast