Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gonna go DSLR, D90?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    That was your experience, unfortunately. Mine has been very positive. Very sharp optics - just as sharp as the Nikkor only not at f/2.8. If you want sharpness wide open, superior build and autofocus you're going to have to shell out the bucks. Keep in mind the Nikkor 17-55 also weighs as much as 2 of the Tamron lens. I would love to have it, but it isn't in the budget right now.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the whole purpose of getting good glass, sharp wide open, build quality, and fast autofocus. I would not pay 400 dollars for an F2.8 lens that is useless at F2.8, which from my tests the Tamron was completely useless. It seems to me that paying 800 for a lightly used 17-55 still under warranty is a much better deal than the Tamron at 400. furthermore, the Nikon will hold its value much better than the Tamron for when you want to go full frame in the future.

First, you can't compare a new lens with a used lens price. The Nikkor 17-55 is a $1200 lens brand new, which is not in the budget for almost anyone but Pros or serious enthusiasts. Second, they are not aimed at the same audience. Third, the Nikkor 17-55 is a DX lens and won't be any better off on full-frame cameras. Fourth, it is an excellent lens from f/4 and beyond, and with that and its focal range appeals to a lot of people. Supply and demand. People wanted it, someone made it. Same goes for Nikon...if they were willing to finally give us some f/4 glass, a 17-55 f/4 (DX) and/or 24-70 f/4 (FX), along with a 70-200 f/4 VR would sell just as they have for Canon.

Finally, I plan on having a 17-55 on my camera when funds allow...but I am afraid of the weight, along with my planned SB-900. It will almost double the weight of my current setup (17-50 + SB-600).
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

First, you can't compare a new lens with a used lens price. The Nikkor 17-55 is a $1200 lens brand new, which is not in the budget for almost anyone but Pros or serious enthusiasts. Second, they are not aimed at the same audience. Third, the Nikkor 17-55 is a DX lens and won't be any better off on full-frame cameras. Fourth, it is an excellent lens from f/4 and beyond, and with that and its focal range appeals to a lot of people. Supply and demand. People wanted it, someone made it. Same goes for Nikon...if they were willing to finally give us some f/4 glass, a 17-55 f/4 (DX) and/or 24-70 f/4 (FX), along with a 70-200 f/4 VR would sell just as they have for Canon.

Finally, I plan on having a 17-55 on my camera when funds allow...but I am afraid of the weight, along with my planned SB-900. It will almost double the weight of my current setup (17-50 + SB-600).

I feel it was a fair comparison for the times because there are alot of 17-55's being sold used in mint condition for 950 and less. And for anyone in the market for a F2.8 zoom in that focal range, this is important.

As far as full frame, the Tamron isnt for full frame either. I was merely stating that the resell value on the 17-55 is alot higher than the tamron, and it will continue to keep its value.

As far as the weight, its not a big deal. I did a night club shoot for 5 hours with the D300, SB-800 (5 cell) and 17-55 F2.8, as well as my 11-16 on my waist and some extra batteries in my pocket, and I was fine. Most of the time I was one handing the camera as I posed people or carried it above my head.

If you still feel that its too heavy, just take the phone book and start doing wrist curls. I remember when I first used the D300 and 70-200VR I thought I was gonna die. Now I carry it around WITH the SB-800 attached one handed and I'm ok for 8 hours at the zoo.

I have wrist problems due to heavy computer use for years. My right hand/wrist isn't what it used to be, and I run into a lot of pain if I'm not careful how I use it. Not a concern for most people, but dammit, now I have to live with it unless a doctor can figure it out
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I have wrist problems due to heavy computer use for years. My right hand/wrist isn't what it used to be, and I run into a lot of pain if I'm not careful how I use it. Not a concern for most people, but dammit, now I have to live with it unless a doctor can figure it out
    Oh.. that blows, especially if you want to get into photography. Hmm... Liberal use of the neck strap is required then..

My D300 is attached to this:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-C,2075,41.htm

Researched heavily and tested other brands before I purchased - this is the best strap on the market. I use it diagonally so it is not hanging off my neck. My D300 sits at my right side, above my hip and when I have the flash attached, stays flat up against me. When its needed I reach down and draw it, revolver style. The strap takes the weight of the camera and spreads it across my upper back and shoulder - making several pounds feel like ounces.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

My D300 is attached to this:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-C,2075,41.htm

Researched heavily and tested other brands before I purchased - this is the best strap on the market. I use it diagonally so it is not hanging off my neck. My D300 sits at my right side, above my hip and when I have the flash attached, stays flat up against me. When its needed I reach down and draw it, revolver style. The strap takes the weight of the camera and spreads it across my upper back and shoulder - making several pounds feel like ounces.
    Very nice. To be honest, the first time I ever used a neckstrap with my D300 is for that club shoot and I am kicking myself for not using it earlier. I had decided to not use it because the one on my D40x just annoyed me and got in the way. But on the D300 it doesnt seem to get in the way. The stock one is a bit annoying to use with a heavy setup, especially when you are sweating, because its not that comfortable and doesnt breathe.

I like the LowePro ones like you linked to, but the quick release clips scare the hell out of me. If I got that I would epoxy the clips shut so that they wouldnt come open. If you know of any good straps that dont have quick release clips, please let me know.

The clips are very strong and reliable, don't worry about it. And they do come in handy when I want it disconnected - when using it on a tripod.

The Voyager C (Contoured) is much, much better than the stock straps which are very uncomfortable and chafe your skin. My shooting experience improved big time when I got mine.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234