Thread: is this a new cpu? don't seem to find much about it

is this a new cpu? don't seem to find much about it

Hi there,

I am considering buying this CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor

but I cannot find much about it to reassure me that it is a good one. Is it that new? I like the fact it is brisbane 65nm but with only 45W power rating. For just basic computer use and some ripping occasionally, I think it should fit the bill (may actually be event too much?)

It would be great if some of you can could give me some comments about this cpu. Thanks

I've been searching for info on this as well.

It is new; I was wondering if this would run much cooler and therefore perform better than other K8's at the same clock speed. From what I read, Brisbane should do ~3.2 on air and at 45w TDP, that should make it a viable choice. If it's similar to the 4850e, then we can probably rely on reviews and info regarding that chip as well:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=3419889

I'm looking for an excuse to go AMD, but it's becoming very hard to justify it.

Xtreme Mentor
    you can except a pretty good clock form it. 3.0-3.3ghz.

After doing more reading and searching forums and websites, I have decided to go with the 5050e. The 4850e seems like a good cpu and the 5050e should not be any different.
    At that time, I am not interested in OC but little I read on the subject seems to indicate that folks are getting 3.0 and higher without too much trouble. True or false statements, I don't know.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Show us your results after playing some with it please

Hi Morais,

I know people on this forum are big time overclockers but I do not intend to do this. It must be fun though!
    I am not a gamer and I suspect that the CPU I chose is going to be under-utilized so OC probably won't offer me much other than the satisfaction to play with system.

I can't wait until I put the system together!