Thread: any cool games on the internet? like old school pc games?

I am Xtreme

any cool games on the internet? like old school pc games?

im stuck with my parents laptop this weekend up north and im all alone with no games to play... i need like pokemon or commander keen or something. any ideas?

Xtreme Cruncher
    HL1, there are probably still a ton of people that play it online, and plenty of new level packs like deliverance, and one other that I can't remember...

I am Xtreme
    thanks for the reply but please read again
    \im sitting on a laptop.. on my lap.. with a touchpad mouse...and i need a game thats on the internet.. meaning i dont want to buy...

so maybe think way more old school...

i guess i can get old nintendo games free but im looking for something with more depth...i wonder if prince of persia is out there lol.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh, crappers, then I guess use a NES emulator, there are tons of them, FCEU works best for me...

There are emulators for everything, hmmm, off to find a PlayStation1 emulator for metal gear solid, my PS1 died...

http://www.emulator-zone.com/
    Last edited by [486]; 12-18-2008 at 07:57 PM.

I am Xtreme
    i think xxxx is the best place for nes.... afaik its legal too as the games are out of copyright... nesticle has always been my favorite.

as for psx emu's i dont think we can discuss that here...

edit i removed the site dont want to violate any rules...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    i think xxxx is the best place for nes.... afaik its legal too as the games are out of copyright... nesticle has always been my favorite.

as for psx emu's i dont think we can discuss that here...

edit i removed the site dont want to violate any rules...
    Meh, the only games I'd get for the PS1 are the ones I already have, all I wanna play is metal gear solid 1, so long as you own the game you can legally own the ROM for it... Have the copyrights expired for the NES games? It'd be cool to have a handheld NES type thing, with all the games built in to it, on a 1 GB flash drive or something...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    yes TD rocks in WC3 this looks sweet thanks!

http://www.pcrpg.org/main.php?action...ads&viewfile=1

^ Tribes was released for free a few years back. You'll have to update to use 3rd party master servers (Sierra axed the official ones a couple months back), but it still works. If you're on Vista you'll need another 3rd party patch.

www.tribesmasterserver.com for how to get the in-game server browser going again

Shameless plug: You can install TribesRPG and play on my RPG server directly by adding this to the end of a shortcut you make to Tribes.exe:

-mod RPG +connect tribes.pcrpg.org

It isn't super-amazing, cutting edge RPG goodness, but it is still fun and you get to chat with the other players.
    Last edited by Particle; 12-19-2008 at 06:14 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Here are a few links to free and legit software, most are small downloads of old games and there are games of all types in there.

The Old Stuff

Abandonia
    http://www.abandonia.com/index.php

Retro Remakes - Links are down but the forum has links.
    http://www.retroremakes.com/wordpress/

Best Old Games
    http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/

Newer Stuff

Great post on another forum with links to free games.
    http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...ad.php?t=56356

Good download site for free games
    http://www.megagames.com/index.html
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Guru
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey Mark I have Commander Keen 1-6 right here, needs a DOS emulator but I have that too. Has sound and everything PM me if you want it.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    I just wasted the last 4 hours playing this.

Xtreme Addict
    Iji is pretty good, reminds of of Metroid.

Pumping soundtrack!

http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

Then there is the legendary Syobon Action, which you should look up if you like the look of it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aLrWwmnt2po
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

I am Xtreme
    this thread is going to kill more time than just my weekend.

Awesome stuff guys! Haha now to pull me away from this TD game so i can play the others.

Simon - does commander keen stand the test of time?