Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: something SSD you didn't know about from OCZ

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the info, Tony. As always, your presence here, insight and honesty are much appreciated.

Intel i7 3770k
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Corsair Vengeance 4x 4GB
    Corsair 1000HX
    ASUS GTX 780
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
    Corsair H100i H20 Cooling
    SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FZ1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Tony. As always, your presence here, insight and honesty are much appreciated.
    +1 i just can't believe how some people here can treat him.

as for the ssds looks like i might finnally jump into one. but 60gb is too small and a 120gb is too expensive. maybe ill raid some 30gbs.

Xtreme Member
    I plan on using an SSD for the OS drive and my main apps and a velociraptor for my music, photos, etc. so 60GB should be sufficient.
    Last edited by FZ1; 12-18-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Intel i7 3770k
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Corsair Vengeance 4x 4GB
    Corsair 1000HX
    ASUS GTX 780
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
    Corsair H100i H20 Cooling
    SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

Xtreme Member
    Sounds interesting but im still waiting for those DDR2 PCIe ramdisks.. Where are you!?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Tony!

Maybe I get 2 for my workstation, if they are cheap enough!
    Be Reasonable! - Demand The Impossible!

silver wall jumper X
    Been in love with my V2s for quiet some time - this looks like my next replacement! Looking forward for the next budget SSD!

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by SetteUltras View Post
    My first thought...

Tested from OCZ
    or
    WE test it for OCZ?
    did you read what i posted?
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    Tony that means this raid0 is without any intervention then?
    No need to install crappy drivers and etc? It always works as a virtual single drive?

If so BIG KUDOS. I use a SB700 AMD board and controller config is a royal pain.
    the raid is on the drive, all you do is plug it into the board with a sata lead...no software is needed. Remember this is for 1 drive...if you use 2 and want to raid them you will still need to set raid on the motherboard
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FZ1 View Post
    I plan on using an SSD for the OS drive and my main apps and a velociraptor for my music, photos, etc. so 60GB should be sufficient.
    yea right now im using 59.9GB and id say 30GB is from games alone and id rather have those on the faster drive.

Banned
    these look decent..... think i might buy one out of intrest, thanks for the presentation tony.... good job m8.....

the jedi master
    If you guys want lightening fast OS use consider trying this:

I just rebuilt my dads rig with a 30GB SSD, he has 4Gb ram, he uses CS3 a lot, emails, skype, all the usual stuff. So I Vlited V32 right down, much like TinyVista, partitioned the drive 20GB OS and 10GB spare and installed to the 20GB part...then tweaked the OS per my guide. Then I locked the OS partition down with steadystate with 10GB cache file on the OS part. Now you have to remember no changes can be made to the OS so i had to point CS3 to use the 10GB part for scratch drive, the ramdrive image was saved onto another HDD and all download apps etc pointed to directories on the storage drives he uses. Now its dead easy to unlock the drive to install an app etc then re lock it after...if my dad can do it you guys will find it a breeze, trust me

The system was lightening fast to use, for 1 drive it felt like 3 Raptors raid 0 hardware raid. CS3 was really fast also, loading files off normal HDD was slow but working with CS3 using the SSD scratch drive was awesome...he then just moves the finished files off this to the normal storage HDD's when he is done.

Took around 1 hr to set this all up, was well worth it IMO.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    the raid is on the drive, all you do is plug it into the board with a sata lead...no software is needed. Remember this is for 1 drive...if you use 2 and want to raid them you will still need to set raid on the motherboard
    so the raid is internal and you only need 1 Sata connector ? Very elegant!

Xtreme Addict
    Good on you guys at OCZ. This is first class. Seeing something guys here have been asking for, and then posting directly about it. That rocks!

SLC
    So its about 20MB/S faster reads than V2 for a similar price? Any price drops on the V2 when this comes out? I need two more V2s .

To the people who are looking to put this on software raid I would think twice:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&postcount=24

These types of drives are quite awesome in hardware raid with cache, but not too good on software.

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    So its about 20MB/S faster reads than V2 for a similar price? Any price drops on the V2 when this comes out? I need two more V2s .

To the people who are looking to put this on software raid I would think twice:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&postcount=24

These types of drives are quite awesome in hardware raid with cache, but not too good on software.
    The point you are missing is the small file write speeds on this Apex, its very fast. Now the controllers are not IO monsters but the raid controller does help. I have a feeling 2 or more of these on SB raid may be killer. i wish I had another here as i would have shown it for sure.

you guys need to get away from needing 5 gazzilion IO/s 4k random writes, you don't need that to have a good experience...Im trying to find just what you DO need to have stutter free untweaked and tweaked.
    Going by what i feel this drive is performing like its not that many..maybe just 1 gazzilion...
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeguava View Post
    so the raid is internal and you only need 1 Sata connector ? Very elegant!
    yup thats right...for the one drive just plug it in.

for 2 drives you have to do the normal raid bios on board and driver load
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    What about 4-8 of these on a Perc 5?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    +1 i just can't believe how some people here can treat him.
    He's catching the because he's the rep posting for the company.
    I'm sure that when right next to the quoted speeds they advertise that in order to obtain the indicated speeds and have a smoothly operating system you must run steady-state people will cut them some slack.
    Even though I use an Adaptec 5805 in my main rig I still won't touch drives that will stutter without cache'd controllers or some security feature rehashed as a speed boosting feature.

Xtreme Addict
    depending on the prices of these i might get 3 30gbs for raid or 2 60gbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    did you read what i posted?
    I read what you posted.

Will the potential buyers have the chance to read what you posted on the box they ll purchase?

I'm afraid they will not.

Nothing personal m8. Just commenting a product from OCZ as it appears in the title of this thread. Same goes for all other companies selling products not fully functioning out of the box. And anyone expect that an ssd buyer should be familiar with terms like ramdrive,steadystate (lol!), cache etc.

Cheers m8.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SetteUltras View Post
    I read what you posted.

Will the potential buyers have the chance to read what you posted on the box they ll purchase?

I'm afraid they will not.

Nothing personal m8. Just commenting a product from OCZ as it appears in the title of this thread. Same goes for all other companies selling products not fully functioning out of the box. And anyone expect that an ssd buyer should be familiar with terms like ramdrive,steadystate (lol!), cache etc.

Cheers m8.
    Good point, but you're shooting at the messenger. It's hardly Tony's job to make this message appear on the box. It is his job though to test and tweak OCZ products, and he's reporting his findings. he doesn't have to do it, he does it to help people out, has been for years now as a matter of fact.

It is Tony (among others) who has helped clear out the mess after the Anand article, since when it has seemed that OCZ was the only SSD company with "controller" problems, while any other company with MLC drives (except Intel maybe, and even that's fishy) is in the same boat. He has been spending countless hours clearing the issues out and finding a way out, and steadystate is among them. Not saying the products couldn't be better, but the heart of the problem lies in the OS'es that are not tuned for discs this fast, the product just magnifies the OS shortcomings. I'd say be grateful and don't shoot at this messenger, he really does not deserve it.
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train" (Murphy)

Reviewing for Madshrimps

Xtreme Addict
    We'll see how they do in RL..... gotta say I'm impressed with the idea of RAID'ing them internally to gain speeds..
    Next year I'm upgrading my rig... might as well go SSD if the price is right...

@ SetteUltras..
    No offence mate... but Tony is one of the few if not the only representative from a company who comes out here and post about their product.. whether it be news or support..
    OCZ cares about their products and their consumers... no need to shoot the messenger as all they try to do is build you a better product..

Lian Li V2000+ Modded
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 1.325v Thermaltright Ultra 120 Extreme RT1366
    Asus Rampage Extreme 2
    OCZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600 Platinum
    EVGA GTX460 768MB 850/1700/2100Mhz SLi
    EVGA 8800GT SSC 730/1800/2000Mhz
    Corsair HX850W

Looking impressive Tony, I like the way OCZ are attempting to make these faster without putting Intel like price tags on

Keep up the testing though, sounds like we might need to tweak vista a fair bit - will you be posting your complete findings in a single post once you are done?

Xtreme Guru
    Very nice move by OCZ, thanks for the info Tony. I bet these will be very popular, both the capacity options and price seems to be great. This is what the SSD market needed right now.

I'd want a 120GB SSD for 2 OS partitions (15GB each) + installed games partition but the price for SSDs are still rather high so I'm gonna wait some time.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 12-19-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    These sound like great drives.

I might just have to get on the SSD bandwagon soon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast