Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: something SSD you didn't know about from OCZ

the jedi master

something SSD you didn't know about from OCZ

VALUE matters to us at OCZ, you all know we have a new SSD coming called Vertex which we are positioning as a high performance part; what you didn't know is we have also been working on a new budget/value part.

I get questions about Core V3 all the time, the drive I will talk about here was destined to be Core V3 but we decided it needed a new name...hence enter Apex

Now I am going to be very clear about this new drive and where we think it will shine and where we are positioning it.

Apex is based off Core V2...now before you all shout crappy Jmicron again please listen up. We wanted to bring a cheap fast drive to market, one for the hardware raid fanboys but also one for those who don't mind a little OS tweaking so they can run 1 drive in a laptop etc or run SB raid with 2 or more drives. The point here though is this drive will be very affordable.
    I have been watching forums for 2 months now and hardware/software raid is starting to gain momentum, people are liking what they see with SSD on it.

so:

What we have done with Apex is create a drive with internal raid0

So what does this mean in terms of speed? Well it depends on the sata controller on your motherboard but I can tell you I saw 180+ (actually touched 200) reads and 140+ writes on ICH8m (OCZ DIY Laptop), and on my HP Pavillion 9000 which uses an NVidia chipset, I am seeing 140writes and 160+ reads. Now i can't run any write tests as im actually real world testing this drive every day for 10 hrs, my system here has had 50 to 80GB of data on it at various times over this week while I have been testing... so when I bench it i get what you guys will see..IE this drive is in use.

I will post the ATTO from this laptop for you all, remember i saw higher than this on ICH8m, final speed is very controller dependent hence why I have been cautious

To finish....we are positioning Vertex for performance OS use, Apex will and does work fine for OS use also although helping the drive with a few OS tweaks makes it shine...Its a value part, one for those looking to build 4 with hardware raid or 2 with SB raid or even 1 drive with a few tweaks if they are on a budget.

We think Apex is a good fast budget solution and will suit many people.

I hope this is OK with you guys, i have tried to be honest here..i love the drive, its in a 2 yr old laptop running vista32 and it flies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apex1.png 
Views:	6698 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	91047  
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

so will it be priced less than or more than the v2
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    What I'm curious about is that will I be able to to buy this drive, stick it in, follow your 'tweak guide', and enjoy better performance overall? Or is there fine print? Like the system freezing when I want to type a message on MSN ..
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Now for the big question.....When will it be available?
    Or should the big question be about pricing or capacity?
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

the jedi master
    I am running Vista32, all tweaks from my guide, 4GB ram and I have not seen 1 pause yet all week. I even have a config file for IOmeter that loads the drive for 20 mins with random reads and writes (really heavy load) and i was watching hero's off the same HDD without pauses.

Now im NOT going to say no one will have an issue and see a stutter, i see stutters on my workstation which uses Raptors when im pushing the drive really hard...i will say for normal everyday use this is a really good option.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    Niiice. I've been wanting a small SSD for my OS.

the jedi master
    We are looking to launch in the next 10 days, drives are inbound but it is holiday season Sizes I will have to check on but i think 30 60 120 are 100% for sure, larger I need to check.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    I haven't read much about SSD except it seems to have some issues and stuff. But why aren't people recommending me to use it with Vista64?
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1,0| AMD FX-8120@?| Corsair H100| 2x4 GB Patriot Viper Xtreme Division 2 PC15000 9-11-9-27| 2*Powercolor Radeon HD6970 2048MB @ Crossfire| 3*NEC MultiSync EA231WMi 23" Monitorer @ Eyefinity| OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB| 2*Intel 80GB X25-M G2 @ RAID0| Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000W| Cooler Master ATCS 840|

Xtreme Addict
    What I'm curious about is how Apex and Vertex will perform under OS-X (especially Tiger as I'm still using that "old" version). Most reports on the internet are about Windows and SSD and you can barely read about someone who uses an SSD with OS-X. For instance if you should and how to deactivate indexing. I'm getting tired of my slow notebook drive...

If someone has more info about OS-X and SSD please inform me via PN or something else. Thanks in advance

P.S. Yes, I deliberately used the same beginning as cegras SCNR
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 12-18-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

the jedi master
    its fine with Vista64...same as v32, I just like the option of Steadystate to really speed up the drive if needed and there is no V64 support...yet
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Sizes to start look to be 30, 60, 120, 250GB
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Jazzy jeff
    What about the prices?

the jedi master
    Prices = Core V2 ish, maybe a touch more to start
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme CCIE
    Kudos to you guys at OCZ for bringing this to market. I've been wondering how long it was going to be until someone started making these, and they're finally here.

Out of curiosity, will the drives be bundled with any software or pamphlets pointing to resources such as SteadyState and your tweak guide? If not, maybe something to think about going forward. The 2 cents it would cost to include a small piece of paper explaining something like that would probably go a long way for a lot of people.

I appreciate the way you and OCZ have presented this product. Very straightforward, laying the cards all out without any marketing bull. When I was thinking about a product like this I had thought about how it would be hyped up as the best thing ever invented, I'm glad to see you were up front with its limitations as well as its benefits.

I also look forward (probably very far forward) to you releasing this kind of product but based on the Vertex (or similar) platform .
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    VALUE matters to us at OCZ, you all know we have a new SSD coming called Vertex which we are positioning as a high performance part; what you didn't know is we have also been working on a new budget/value part.

I get questions about Core V3 all the time, the drive I will talk about here was destined to be Core V3 but we decided it needed a new name...hence enter Apex

Now I am going to be very clear about this new drive and where we think it will shine and where we are positioning it.

Apex is based off Core V2...now before you all shout crappy Jmicron again please listen up. We wanted to bring a cheap fast drive to market, one for the hardware raid fanboys but also one for those who don't mind a little OS tweaking so they can run 1 drive in a laptop etc or run SB raid with 2 or more drives. The point here though is this drive will be very affordable.
    I have been watching forums for 2 months now and hardware/software raid is starting to gain momentum, people are liking what they see with SSD on it.

so:

What we have done with Apex is create a drive with internal raid0

So what does this mean in terms of speed? Well it depends on the sata controller on your motherboard but I can tell you I saw 180+ (actually touched 200) reads and 140+ writes on ICH8m (OCZ DIY Laptop), and on my HP Pavillion 9000 which uses an NVidia chipset, I am seeing 140writes and 160+ reads. Now i can't run any write tests as im actually real world testing this drive every day for 10 hrs, my system here has had 50 to 80GB of data on it at various times over this week while I have been testing... so when I bench it i get what you guys will see..IE this drive is in use.

I will post the ATTO from this laptop for you all, remember i saw higher than this on ICH8m, final speed is very controller dependent hence why I have been cautious

To finish....we are positioning Vertex for performance OS use, Apex will and does work fine for OS use also although helping the drive with a few OS tweaks makes it shine...Its a value part, one for those looking to build 4 with hardware raid or 2 with SB raid or even 1 drive with a few tweaks if they are on a budget.

We think Apex is a good fast budget solution and will suit many people.

I hope this is OK with you guys, i have tried to be honest here..i love the drive, its in a 2 yr old laptop running vista32 and it flies.
    That's the way to do it.

Xtreme Legend
    price and when (its a rhetorical in case you didnt get it )
    Last edited by dinos22; 12-18-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    Seems like a nice touch.
    what does internal raid0 mean?
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

the jedi master
    2 nand controllers, 1 raid chip in 1 drive.

split the nand in 2...half to each controller and then raid the output in raid0 to sata. The controller on your board sees it as a standard drive.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    So this would be a good replacement for my raptor OS drive?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

is there extra cash on the raid controller, or is it the same as the nand controllers
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

the jedi master
    does your raptor hit the speeds I showed in ATTO? Does the raptor seek in 0.2ms ?
    Last edited by Tony; 12-18-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    is there extra cash on the raid controller, or is it the same as the nand controllers
    cash?? you mean cache

no there is no cache on the raid controller.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    Tony that means this raid0 is without any intervention then?
    No need to install crappy drivers and etc? It always works as a virtual single drive?

If so BIG KUDOS. I use a SB700 AMD board and controller config is a royal pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Member
    Sounds good tony, i understand the mess you ran throught with the other thread... This one makes it clear that OCZ cares.

CPU Intel C2D 6400 - 6600 L631B Aircooled 4010 MHz (wip) 3850 MHz daily
    COOLER Big Typhoon 120 - Ultra 120/Panaflow 103cfm
    MOBO Asus p5w dh - Badaxe 2
    RAM 2gb Team 667 cl3 844mhz 4-4-3-4 2.0v (wip)
    GPU Bfg 7900GT - XFX GX2 600/1600 3Dmark06 10554 (wip) 207K AM3
    PSU Gamestream 600w - Powerstream 520 - Silverstone Zeus 750w
    Chassis Lian-Li V2000b Plus2 Lian-Li v1100b

My first thought...

Tested from OCZ
    or
    WE test it for OCZ?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast