Thread: Google begins effort to find Internet blockers

Google begins effort to find Internet blockers

Link:

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/200901...oogle_internet

Quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Google Inc (GOOG.O) on Wednesday unveiled a plan aimed at eventually letting computer users determine whether providers like Comcast Corp (CMCSA.O) are inappropriately blocking or slowing their work online.

The scheme is the latest bid in the debate over network neutrality, which pits content companies like Google against some Internet service providers.

Well that's cool.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Interesting timing on this from Google, one day after the big Cox announcement.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200901...c_cox_internet

Xtreme Cruncher
    Funny since google wants ISPs to pay for content...
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avan View Post
    Interesting timing on this from Google, one day after the big Cox announcement.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200901...c_cox_internet
    You should definitely re-read that

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnXioZ View Post
    You should definitely re-read that
    I didn't even catch that when I posted. Oh well!

Xtreme CCIE
    Well that's certainly promising.

Go Google!
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Depending on the country, this will pit them against the government too.
    Last edited by randomizer; 01-28-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Why? If the tool is benign and simply raises a flag when bandwidth drops dramatically, it's not doing anything invasive.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Member
    Id have to say Google might be my favorite company. They are always stirring up trouble and rival company's have no choice but to deal with Google or else

Xtreme Member
    well if it brings light to the current situation with internet throttling it cannot be bad
    Q9400@3.6 -- Thermaltake Water | ASUS P5K | 8800GTS 640 -- Thermalright HR-03 Plus | PC2-8500 Dominator 2x2GB@ 1092 5-5-5-13 | OCZ Core V2 30GB -- Raptor X 150GB -- Seagate 7200.10 250GB | Antec TruePower Quattro 850 | Silverstone FJ07 | Windows Vista Home Premium 64 -- Ubuntu 8.04

Fold 1 | E8400 3.0 | ECS G31TM | PC2-6400 2x1GB | -- Fold 2 | 3800+ X2 | ASUS ??? | PC2-8500 2x1GB

Folding...You Know You Want To

Xtreme Addict
    I have cox in las vegas..it's overall a good service. I try not to abuse it much

But they lowered the monthly cap from 140GB I believe down to like 80GB. I do not want to test the waters on how much they charge for overages, if anything.

crappy about that news clip on them wanting to start traffic shaping. I think they used to experiment with traffic shaping for a while, but stoped.
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    Google for an ISP!

Xtreme Addict
    These ISP's better start laying line down and fast. There is a war on, and people are sick of paying money for speed and getting slow for their hard earned money.

We're no longer asking for speed...we're telling them. They can speed it up and start using our money for what we paid them for, and upgrade those pipes to keep up with demand, or they can go out of buisness, and somebody will take them over who will. This throttling garbage is gonna go one way or the other.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Avan View Post
    I didn't even catch that when I posted. Oh well!
    That makes it even worse...

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    These ISP's better start laying line down and fast. There is a war on, and people are sick of paying money for speed and getting slow for their hard earned money.

We're no longer asking for speed...we're telling them. They can speed it up and start using our money for what we paid them for, and upgrade those pipes to keep up with demand, or they can go out of buisness, and somebody will take them over who will. This throttling garbage is gonna go one way or the other.

amen to that, google for ISP 2009!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Same garbage as music sharing. Trading mix tapes with friends was never a problem in the 80's and 90's. But, once technology caught up and made it more widely available to trade your "mix tape" with people in large scale, it became illegal. Mix tapes used to be a good way to gain a broader audience for musicians to be heard by possibly more people.
    They kept making internet faster and faster and we have started to find more and more ways to utilize their services, so now they want to make that restricted.

GREED
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    Same garbage as music sharing. Trading mix tapes with friends was never a problem in the 80's and 90's. But, once technology caught up and made it more widely available to trade your "mix tape" with people in large scale, it became illegal. Mix tapes used to be a good way to gain a broader audience for musicians to be heard by possibly more people.
    They kept making internet faster and faster and we have started to find more and more ways to utilize their services, so now they want to make that restricted.

GREED
    Greed?

Uf you have a chance to make easy $40,000, or easy $400,000 by restricting people, I am sure you would take the latter. :-)