Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam now in € & £ availabe

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thumbs down Steam now in € & £ availabe

Steam has now a localized paying system. Instead of using $ in the whole world, they added EURO (€) and pound sterling (£).

Sounds nice? Yes, for our english friends, cause they used the right changing rate. The prices in £ are now better then they where before when u still had to pay in $.

But for the other europeans its like Valve send a big and fat YOU. The prices stay the same, but now u have to pay in € instead of $. Merry christmas Valve!

Example:
    Before: GTA4 $49.99 = €34
    NOW: €49.99

I wont use Steam anymore cause they showed that they just cant calculate.

U can read more here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=770231
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@3.5GHz@Scythe Mugen 2 <-> ASRock 970 Extreme4 <-> 8GB DDR3-1333 <-> Sapphire HD7870@1100/1300 <-> Samsung F3 <-> Win8.1 x64 <-> Acer Slim Line S243HL <-> BQT E9-CM 480W

Xtreme Addict
    dolar is dead thats why valve figured out that they can rape europeans now :P

Xtreme Addict
    HAHAHAHA they can stuck GTA4 up theirs... This is totally unfair. And this is going on for ages. And then they'll again wonder why piracy started increasing. They're ripping of european buyers plain and simple.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Bah, games on Steam started to get very attractive price wise at least with the recent fall of the dollar. Now I'll just buy my games in a normal brick an mortar store where they are actually cheaper than on Steam.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    Steam has now a localized paying system. Instead of using $ in the whole world, they added EURO (€) and pound sterling (£).

Sounds nice? Yes, for our english friends, cause they used the right changing rate. The prices in £ are now better then they where before when u still had to pay in $.

But for the other europeans its like Valve send a big and fat YOU. The prices stay the same, but now u have to pay in € instead of $. Merry christmas Valve!

Example:
    Before: GTA4 $49.99 = €34
    NOW: €49.99

I wont use Steam anymore cause they showed that they just cant calculate.

U can read more here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=770231
    lol dont flip out.. steam dollar prices where without tax... i usually payed between 10-15$ tax, so game really where between 55-60$. I payed for L4D 45$ (-10% preorder discount) after the conversion 42.xx€ now its in steam store 44.99€.

Without the discount i would have payed more in € then now.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 12-18-2008 at 05:54 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    lol dont flip out.. steam dollar prices where without tax... i usually payed between 10-15$ tax, so game really where between 55-60$. I payed for L4D 45$ (-10% preorder discount) after the conversion 42.xx€ now its in steam store 44.99€.

Without the discount i would have payed more in € then now.
    Well the Euro to Dollar conversion is now like this:
    Code:
    Euro: Dollar
      1 : 1,46
    In that case the price has been increased considerable even when you take the tax into account.

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    that price is ridiculus

i paid 36€ for the game in a shop here in germany
    disc and all
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know why any Europeans pay the same in Euros or Pounds that Americans pay in dollars for any hardware or software. Personally, I wouldn't support any hardware or software company that was raping me over an exchange rate.

Simple math. If I can buy a game here for 40 CDN, then it should cost 14 Euros, especially if the game is made by a CDN company.

Don't be ripped off. Buyer beware.

Banned
    Damn man, this conversion rate scam is borderline criminal. At least with computer components and other stuff they could at least have the tax, import excuse but what excuse do they have now? This bit of information is more valuable in Europe than in the US or what???

xtreme energy
    If Steam wants to sell they have to lower their price at least to the same level as retail DVDs.

To be honest, it is not worth paying more if I can get it cheaper ordering DVDs online or driving 20 minutes to the maul

Quote Originally Posted by clonez View Post
    that price is ridiculus

i paid 36€ for the game in a shop here in germany
    disc and all
    Yep, I paid like 32€ shipped in UK

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmmm. Might it be possible that the price now includes VAT?

The steam-prices now equal those in retail-stores, on the other hand you don't get a CD, Booklet and stuff so I'd expect the Steam-Version to be at least 5 Euro cheaper...
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, now its including VAT. No, retail prices are way lower.

€1 is about $1.45 but Steam says €1 = $1 and even w/ VAT its just for the lulz.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@3.5GHz@Scythe Mugen 2 <-> ASRock 970 Extreme4 <-> 8GB DDR3-1333 <-> Sapphire HD7870@1100/1300 <-> Samsung F3 <-> Win8.1 x64 <-> Acer Slim Line S243HL <-> BQT E9-CM 480W

Xtreme Addict
    Is it possible to use paypal in these countries? Besides that, if it's only a few dollars more, I think the convenience of steam is still worth it to me. Also take into account gas prices to get to the store and back could offset the price. That's not the point though. Their system isn't perfect but hopefully it'll get better because Steam and Valve both rule tremendously. :-)
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    Really? Last time I visited a retail-store (should be "a few" weeks back ) all games were at 50 Euro or above. Have prices really improved? I can hardly believe it ^^ Though I already heard that Saturn was selling GTA IV for 36 Euro on release-day.

1 $ = 1 € is nothing new for us europeans Where's the Steam-group "The Rest Of The World"?

Pre-release-prices on amazon.co.uk are really cool, bought Left 4 Dead for 32 Euro inkl VAT and shipping (bought two DVDs by Jeff Dunham as well) It's a shame I wasn't able to play it that much up to now, damn study xD

Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Is it possible to use paypal in these countries? Besides that, if it's only a few dollars more, I think the convenience of steam is still worth it to me. Also take into account gas prices to get to the store and back could offset the price. That's not the point though. Their system isn't perfect but hopefully it'll get better because Steam and Valve both rule tremendously. :-)
    Jepp, you can use paypal here as well. But you can't add the price for the gasoline to the retail-price. Then you'd have to add the price for your internet-connection to the steam-price
    Additionally here in germany you can reach many great shops via foot or bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I'd rather pick the game from play.com
    Never had a decent download rate from Steam as well...
    What connection are you using? I have a 4 MBit and 6 Mbit connection at hand and both are maxed out when I download something from steam. When you've got a 20 MBit connection I'd understand why it's never maxed out
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 12-18-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'd rather pick the game from play.com
    Never had a decent download rate from Steam as well...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    For me the retail price is quite a bit lower than this, even during summer time when the euro to dollar conversion was around €1=$1,55 the prices in the retail stores where reasonably competitive (read: only a little more expensive than Steam). Besides, it takes me 15 minutes by bike to get to the nearby MediaMarkt and there prices are usually the lowest compared to other brick and mortar stores (they are actually very competitive with online stores with certain product categories). So going by car is not even needed for me, it would actually take me longer to get there by car than by bike (that's what it's like to live in a city here).

@FischOderAal: What retail stores do you usually visit? Many of them can be pretty expensive, but if you know where to look then you can get some pretty competitive pricing. Saturn and MediaMarkt usually have very good pricing, they are the same company so no surprise there.

Xtreme Member
    this is ing hilarious
    Q6600 G0 | 4GB Mushkin | HD 4890 | X-Fi Fatal1ty
    Canon EOS 7D | 1000D | 70-200 F4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | 100 2.8 L IS Macro | 18-55 IS

Xtreme Enthusiast

lolno.

I bought GTA IV on Steam for 50 dollars, it was actually cheaper than in stores. Now it's way more expensive than in stores..

Oh well, so much for that.

Xtreme Member
    @ fischoderaal

i got my copy from media markt last monday, its the normal price, no special offer (i guess its because nobody is buying it because of the system needed+ bugs. other pc games are minimally cheaper, too though, but not that much)

@ helmore
    jep, mediamarkt and saturn are from the same holding, each of them is specialized on different product categories so they dont steal each others revenue

you notice that in the newspaper ads, e.g. on of them has got the cheap cameras >200€, the other <300€ (thats why you wont find gta4 for 36€ at saturn, but at MM you will)
    Last edited by clonez; 12-18-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

Correct me if I'm wrong, but say I work a job in the USA where I am getting paid $7 per hour, wouldn't I make €7 per hour working the same job somewhere in Europe? When I was visiting Europe that is how I understood it. I figure you have to look at prices locally not globally otherwise you're always going to be able to complain about paying more than somebody. If my first question is true than a European is not actually making more money than an American unless they are in fact buying everything from overseas, like earlier this year when there were a whole lot of Europeans flying to New York to shop.

xtreme energy
    No, salaries in USA are better than in EU And most prices are better than in EU (EU has a huge VAT/sales tax and generally demand is smaller). For example, we don't have a popular hardware store that people all over EU buy stuff from, like Newegg in US.

Well, it is out of this topic I guess

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    No, salaries in USA are better than in EU And most prices are better than in EU (EU has a huge VAT/sales tax and generally demand is smaller). For example, we don't have a popular hardware store that people all over EU buy stuff from, like Newegg in US.

Well, it is out of this topic I guess
    Wrong. Its the other way around in a lot of cases. The thing is though more salary in europe, but more taxes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xb1az3x View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but say I work a job in the USA where I am getting paid $7 per hour, wouldn't I make €7 per hour working the same job somewhere in Europe? When I was visiting Europe that is how I understood it. I figure you have to look at prices locally not globally otherwise you're always going to be able to complain about paying more than somebody. If my first question is true than a European is not actually making more money than an American unless they are in fact buying everything from overseas, like earlier this year when there were a whole lot of Europeans flying to New York to shop.
    Sry, but u are wrong.

Turkey Man
    If he is so wrong, then how come the basic necessities in Europe are also so much more expensive than everywhere else?
    My holiday around 4 countries there cost me an absolute load for just meals, transport, and drinking. On top of that was the touristy costs.

Xtreme Mentor
    well when they accept debit cards ill enjoy it
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast