Thread: Introduction, and searching for recommendations!

Xtreme Member

Introduction, and searching for recommendations!

Hi, everyone!

I've been religiously reading these forums for a month or so now, and I think this is the perfect opportunity to introduce myself.

I am currently in the process of building an i7 setup. I have the case, PSU, HD, and bluray drive so far. This is my planned build-out:

Apevia Case
    PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W
    Core i7 920
    eVGA x58
    Some decent 6GB triple-channel kit (recommendations around $250 would be appreciated!)
    eVGA gtx 260 SC
    1TB Seagate SATA

I will be using it for design (CS4), gaming, and watching movies. My biggest dilemma right now is what type of cooling to use.

I haven't gotten into overclocking just yet, but I plan to with this machine. I saw Petra'sTech CoolKit D4 w/ Ci7 kit. Is this kit any good? I haven't been able to find much on entry-level kits for i7 setups.

Also, I don't think I'd be OCing the video card any further. Would I still need a VGA block for it, or would stock cooling be okay (CPU-only loop)?

I'd like to keep the kit in the $200-250 price range. I would also build my own loop if I can minimize on shipping costs.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to contributing to XS!
    Last edited by dave510; 12-15-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    D4 is not a bad pump, but it's very loud.
    If you don't like the pump, fleebay it and pickup a 355 from newegg.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Member
    I also forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind getting a kit right now that I can use as a CPU only loop and add the VGA cooling within a couple of months.