Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Arts warns on profits

Xtreme Addict

Electronic Arts warns on profits

Video game giant Electronic Arts (EA) has issued another profit warning saying that holiday sales had been worse than expected.
    At the end of October, EA warned on profits and announced plans to cut between 500 and 600 jobs.

Now it has said that its performance will fall short of already low forecasts, although it will not make an updated forecast until February.
    EA publishes games such as Fifa Soccer, Left 4 Dead, Rock Band and Spore.
    The company said it had been hit by the growing market share of Nintendo's Wii console, because Nintendo also makes most of the top-selling games for the console.
    EA said it would now try to make additional cuts to its costs on top of those announced in October. It did not say how many more jobs would be cut.
    Analysts said that some of EA's titles, such as Dead Space and Left 4 Dead, had been selling well, but that others, such as Need for Speed Undercover, Mirror's Edge and the latest instalment in the Rock Band franchise, had been disappointing.
    EA's shares had fallen 11.5% before the announcement was made and dropped another 10% in electronic after-hours trading.
    Source: BBC
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Addict
    EA forgot that there was a recession Boost your profit margin by not paying for DRM inclusion.

They shouldn't be surprised that Need for Speed would sell poorly. If they at least put in some quality time into making the game unique, instead of releasing crap as fast as possible. I think the game just gets worse with every release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    ...EA said it would now try to make additional cuts to its costs on top of those announced in October....
    What?! They keep murdering games, yet they even refuse to lower prices in a time of crisis...
    They probably are just going to lay off customer service workers to make things even worse
    I hope this ends up backfiring them and they end up bankrupt. The world would be a better place without them
    Last edited by Turok; 12-13-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Xtreme Member
    The last NFS is even worse than carbono+pro street, so they can´t expect great sales.
    If they really want to make some money, they must do more games like dead space and less crap.

Xtreme Member
    Good. If there is a god, EA will be going into chapter 7 very soon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    Free the software industry!
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    Dead Space and Left4 Dead both own hard...
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme
    i think the last need for speed i really liked was most wanted.

they've all kinda sucked since then

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Im really trying to care about EAs position...but....I cant.

Ah well!
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Analysts said that some of EA's titles, such as Dead Space and Left 4 Dead, had been selling well,
    ???

Does EA get money from the steam version of L4D as well? or why would it sell well for them? It's made by Valve and sold by Valve on Steam, if the retail sales of any game are low, then surely the retail version of L4D would sell even worse? or is ea somehow including sales on steam as well?

c[_]
    EA might be handling console versions of L4D? That's my only guess.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    They should start learning from GRID and stop selling the exact same garbage with different skins...
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme Addict
    well nfs sucks what do you expect by the way now i understand why they did implement physx into mirrors edge lol

Xtreme Member
    What did they expect ? They are trying to sell the same game for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Turok View Post
    What?! They keep murdering games, yet they even refuse to lower prices in a time of crisis...
    They probably are just going to lay off customer service workers to make things even worse
    I hope this ends up backfiring them and they end up bankrupt. The world would be a better place without them
    amen, it sucks that a lot of people will be out of work, but seriously EA needs to GTFO with the DRM and monopolizing the market destroying good titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    Free the software industry!
    QFT AMEN AMEN!!!

Xtreme Member
    last i remember.. EA bought steam a while ago...
    Cpu: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.9 ghz (cooled w/ Apogee GTZ)
    Mobo: Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    Ram: G.SKill 3x1 GB DDR3 1600
    GPU: GTX 280
    PSU: E Power 1000 Watt

Banned
    Maybe they could try lowering prices.

BUT OMG GAME DEVELOPMENT IS SUPER EXPENSIVE. IT'S SO HARD TO MAKE THE SAME GAME OVER AND OVER.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    ???

Does EA get money from the steam version of L4D as well? or why would it sell well for them? It's made by Valve and sold by Valve on Steam, if the retail sales of any game are low, then surely the retail version of L4D would sell even worse? or is ea somehow including sales on steam as well?
    Iirc the retail-boxes of Half-Life were sold bei EA, but I don't have an EA-sticker on my L4D-box so I would say that STEvil might be right. I don't think EA is earning anything from the games that are sold within Steam.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nosboost300 View Post
    Oh? I really think that would have made a bigger ripple than you think, like EA games being on Steam...

But if you're sure, then you'll be able to find a link.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nosboost300 View Post
    IIRC there was a rumour but nothing came of it
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Guru
    There's no EA logos anywhere on my L4D copy, only Valve, I bought from amazon.co.uk. So if they got something to do with it it's the console versions in that case.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Member
    Am i the only one who thinks l4d isn't gonna sell as well on the 360 compared to the PC? I can understand how the controller could work in a Halo/Gears of War setting, but l4d is pretty fast paced and especially in versus mode, you're gonna need precision a controller cant offer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noinimod View Post
    Am i the only one who thinks l4d isn't gonna sell as well on the 360 compared to the PC? I can understand how the controller could work in a Halo/Gears of War setting, but l4d is pretty fast paced and especially in versus mode, you're gonna need precision a controller cant offer.
    that's true.

however, i assume that Xbox players wont be playing against PC players so it could even out a little. otherwise the Xbox players would get massacred.

i almost hope that EA goes under. they make a lot of awful games, the amount of remakes/reskins of games that were good when they were origonal is insane. the sims, the C&C series, battlefield is starting to feel that way for me too.

the C&C series is the one that angers me the most, i've not even played red alert 3. i can imagine that it's still using the same engine that generals used, and thats almost 6 years old now. and i also imagine that it will still have the same dire net code/bugs and that silly 30fps cap.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast