Thread: Gigabyte 790X-DS4 + Phenom 8750 + OCZ reaper edition 1066Mhz

Unhappy Gigabyte 790X-DS4 + Phenom 8750 + OCZ reaper edition 1066Mhz

Hello all,

I am facing a problem with my new setup, and I could use some help. I have the Gigabyte 790X-DS4 and untill recently I was using an AMD x2 4850e, so the RAM was operating at 800Mhz. I thought it was normal, because of the CPU, so I bought a Phenom x3 8750 Black Edition so that I could take advantage of the RAM's 1066Mhz.

Well, it turns out that bios now sees RAM as 667Mhz but, now I have the option for 1066Mhz in bios settings(not available while using 4850e). When I set it at 800Mhz it works fine, but I haven't managed to get it running at 1066Mhz. I tried ganged / unganged and the CPU at default speed, but the system reported an error, or even worse I ended up with a black screen and I had to clear cmos. PSU is Thermaltake 750W Crossfire certified, not a problem I guess. Any ideas?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have the same setup with your first one (waiting for a Phenom II), except the OCZ's (i have mushkin's 4GB 1066) and i am running @1066 this moment :

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=455611

Bios was set at 800MHz, and then due to HT oc, i got this result...

Now for your new X3 8750BE i suggest you set the ram voltage to the default (see what the product page for the OCZ reapers say) and try...If you like post your bios settings here so other people can help you with your settings...

Hope it works for you...

Cheers...

heh i was just about to make a thread about why my 8450 overclocks really bad on that board. my old x2 4200+ brisbane did well on it - kept it on 3.2GHz 24/7.
    but now im struggling to get 10.5x240 (2.5GHz) stable on it. i have tested upping every voltage possible in the bios. lowering ht/nb didnt help either. somewhy higher (240+) htt-s wont work good when memory is doing 800mhz+. thing only works (even on 270+ htt) when divider is really low. ideas?

currently pursued stable clock and left it on 2.4GHz, memory (which are cheapest adata sticks available) running at 900Mhz 2.0V
    everything else is on stock volts
    Last edited by raibemunn; 12-11-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    I have the same setup with your first one (waiting for a Phenom II), except the OCZ's (i have mushkin's 4GB 1066) and i am running @1066 this moment :

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=455611

Bios was set at 800MHz, and then due to HT oc, i got this result...

Now for your new X3 8750BE i suggest you set the ram voltage to the default (see what the product page for the OCZ reapers say) and try...If you like post your bios settings here so other people can help you with your settings...

Hope it works for you...

Cheers...
    So, you just set the memory at 800Mhz and by going up to 267 (x12) you got your ram running at ~1066Mhz? Ram voltage set to default? I think I tried it last night but system couldn't boot. I will double check today.

My ram is http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...tified_edition so I guess I go for 2.1Volt, right?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dazed View Post
    So, you just set the memory at 800Mhz and by going up to 267 (x12) you got your ram running at ~1066Mhz? Ram voltage set to default?
    Correct...Ram voltage is 2.1V for me now (Everest shows 2.11V), and it is default voltage for 1066Mhz for my ram.

You can try a bit lower voltage than 2.1V, since sometimes ram can achieve the spec'd frequency by a little lower voltage. If not (after set&test procedure) you can set to 2.1V since OCZ gives that spec...

When you're done, post your Ram settings & voltages...

Sorry, I couldn't post last night, I was too busy kicking my pc

Situation so far, I tried increasing the bus speed and keeping multiplier at 12, but when I pass ~245Mhz, system can't boot, so I have to go back to last known good configuration. I checked both manual (2.1V) and auto voltage for the RAM but nothing changed. Should I anable EPP or not? when I do it seems that system crashes and I have to clear cmos to recover. One thing that might be important, is that my two dimms are at 3-4 because I use a huge cooler and there is no way I can fit anything at 1 or 2 It worked fine as dual channel (800Mhz) with my 4850e.

any ideas? do you need any screenshots?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BIOS> MB Intelligent Tweaker Tab :

a) Have you set HT multiplier to 4x (800MHz) ?
    b) Set manually PCI-E @ 100 freq just in case...
    c) Memory clock @ 1066 & timings @ Auto for the beginning...Is option for Ganged/Unganged available ? If yes set it to Unganged first...
    d) CPU Ratio & Host Clock as you like (e.g. 12 x245)
    e) CPU Voltage start from 1.4V and up...You can try with 1.45-1475 and then if stable, fine tune the voltage if its higher than needed...I assume you are not using the stock CPU cooler...
    f) NB & SB voltage, try up one or two notches...Let's say +0.100V for NB and +0.050V for SB
    g) Ram voltage try using 2.1V --> default for 1066MHz

Try these and post back results...

Xtreme Member
    Have this same board...and have a heck of a time getting the "fsb" higher than 245. It seems most comfortable around 220-230 range...and I then use a Multi increase to get where I want. Not much help with your memory problem I know. Here is what I do know...seems to be finicky with memory and timings so..set everything manually. If you know your SPD timings go into the bios and set all those values accordingly.Set voltage manually, Keep EPP turned off.

Good luck and welcome to XS!

im wondering if anyone else has NB doing 84*C like mine. Ive googled about it and many guys with same board have thease temps.
    is it really that safe to add 0.1v to nb then? im so frustrated that i cant get it stable over 240 htt

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by raibemunn View Post
    im wondering if anyone else has NB doing 84*C like mine. Ive googled about it and many guys with same board have thease temps.
    is it really that safe to add 0.1v to nb then? im so frustrated that i cant get it stable over 240 htt
    NB runs hot on all boards I have used, and your lucky that you can even get stable over 210ht with a phenom 1.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

well thats not very conforting

i looked under the memory auto timings and found that its wayyyy tighter than SPD. it helped a little but it still isnt stable. OCCT does 1 min error free at 10.5x260. NB +.75v

does ocing HT clock help in any way? with x2 it was useless.

Xtreme Addict
    well thats not very conforting

i looked under the memory auto timings and found that its wayyyy tighter than SPD. it helped a little but it still isnt stable. OCCT does 1 min error free at 10.5x260. NB +.75v

does ocing HT clock help in any way? with x2 it was useless.
    Well if you have a locked multi it does because it raises the NB/L3 speed however the HT itself really has no real benefit. If you have unlocked multi AKA black edition you can just up NB/L3 with multi.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

i can set both HT and NB multi manually on this board.

Xtreme Addict
    i can set both HT and NB multi manually on this board.
    ah thats great, I havent used any non-BE Phenoms so I just assumed they were locked.
    You can run some superPi and see the effects of raising the NB
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 12-15-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

harrrr :P +0.1V on NB crashed the pc in a new manner under load. Horisontal messed up lines.
    i wish that there was more space there. idk what could possibly fit there on the nb chip.